• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Why is Guardians of the Galaxy So Underrated?

Hydroxy

Amazing game. Really enjoyed it. No its not underrated. Its been praised everywhere. The problem is people got burnt by Avengers so they didn't buy this game. I don't blame them

Y0ssarian

Banned
I didn't buy it because I didn't like the first movie and I'm kind of sick of Marvel. Game could be based for all I know

Reactions: Isa

Sygma

The beyond horrible marketing they did for the game simply nailed its fate before the release, honestly. Now, yes the game is amazing and they could have managed way better. No idea how they didn't manage at all to get one good trailer out of everything in the game

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I was burned by Avengers and although I'm a huge fan of Marvel, I can take or leave the Guardian movies, so it takes a big push for me to get on board.

Hearing they went all in in on the soundtrack tempts me, but I'm also hearing from a lot of people who feel it falls apart in the back half.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I HATED the combat and the closer to the end you got the more frequent the combat scenes became until near the end the game reduced itself to battle after battle after battle. Awful.
Even my little boy was like 'dad, I don't want to do this anymore'.

So the first half's goodness was washed away with the back ends monotonous
Im nearing the end and it is turning into a bit of a slog for sure. Chapters 1-9 amazing. Chat 10 and 11 were a little slow.

I know a lot of people are praising this game but I literally do not believe them. It's like Xenoblade 2: sometimes you can just tell a game is mediocre no matter how much praise it gets

xion4360

I just played through it and really enjoyed it...I didn't enjoy the constant yelling/bantering at each other pretty much all the time, but at least it's consistent with their dynamic in the MCU movie, but they did often repeat lines which is not good.

also the game was shockingly linear, and for sure was reduced to constant combat near the end, but all in all it was good though. Graphically it was fantastic in RT mode but I just wish it has a little motion blur because 30fps with zero motion blur sucks.

Last edited:

JayK47

I HATED the combat and the closer to the end you got the more frequent the combat scenes became until near the end the game reduced itself to battle after battle after battle. Awful.
Even my little boy was like 'dad, I don't want to do this anymore'.

So the first half's goodness was washed away with the back ends monotonous
Oh boy. I may start to tire if it towards the end if they rely heavily on combat for filler. I really wish the combat would pause while selecting team abilities. I feel the combat would have been better as turn based or cover based. I am tired of cover based shooters, but they at least give you the ability to stay safe during reloads and cooldowns. Most battles so far are in open areas and you just run in circles dodging while shooting. The worst enemies so far are the shielded heavies with the electric mines that can freeze your team. So far I have not found a good way to take them down.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I never cared about super heroes. The whole thing of super-strong people running around in tight pants and leather always felt dumb to me. To each their own, but that's my reason; just no interest in the genre. I thought the first Iron man movie was fun and unique. I thought Christopher Nolan captured the spirit of gotham with his second batman movie, but then it just sort of became like eating desert 4 times a day. It was way to much for me, but I guess I'd be thrilled if my favorite genre-types littered the world in popularity too.

• Thoughtful

megamerican

I love the game but I initially wrote it off assuming it would be similar to the Avengers. It doesn't help that it keeps the "knockoff" characters instead of the MCU look. That ultimately works in the games favor, but probably makes a tougher sell to people upfront.

JayK47

I'm playing the game on Xbox One. Sometimes it looks pretty good, other times it looks like ass. Like the hair looks really bad. Star Lord looks pretty bad, but other characters looks really good. I picked it up on Xbox simply because it was cheaper than PC. I did not realize it would look so much worse on Xbox One. I should have paid more for the PC version if it looks so much better.

wvnative

The game was largely ignored due to a combination of bad trailers, the avengers fiasco, and "it's not deus ex".

Also while it is my GOTY, the combat, while not bad by any means, is very subpar compared to the rest of the game, and that's a pretty major pillar to fall a tad short on.

I'm not a huge Marvel’s fan but I do love Gaurdians of the Galaxy. I Bought the game on a whim after all the praise it had received and was pleasantly surprised. The characters and storyline were great. I was also very impressed with the different locations and attention to detail with regards to unique alien worlds.

I played through the game twice and platinumed it, but was disappointed to hear there would be no dlc or a sequel. Crazy as I would have been all over a sequel just like many others. Easily in my top three games of 2021.

lillars

I played through this over Christmas break, and I loved it too. It definitely had its flaws (a bit too long, repetitive), but you could tell it was a labor of love. Definitely my surprise game this past year.

Camreezie

It's not underrated on here everyone loved it. It's a pretty solid game which noone expected after the turd that was Avengers

GymWolf

Oh boy. I may start to tire if it towards the end if they rely heavily on combat for filler. I really wish the combat would pause while selecting team abilities. I feel the combat would have been better as turn based or cover based. I am tired of cover based shooters, but they at least give you the ability to stay safe during reloads and cooldowns. Most battles so far are in open areas and you just run in circles dodging while shooting. The worst enemies so far are the shielded heavies with the electric mines that can freeze your team. So far I have not found a good way to take them down.
You can slow time during companion choices, just tweak the difficulty, you can set specific things like rallenty or the damage you do etc.

Never personally used because the game is already a damn cakewalk even on hard so not having rallenty at least add a 2% of challenge...

Last edited:
The first 2-3 hours are completely garbage. Tons of bugs, Render issues, awful gameplay…

After that yes. Is an awesome game 😂.
I kept playing because all reviews I saw said the same… awful -> awesome

anthony2690

Banned
It isn't under rated at all, it reviewed really well with critics and most people that play it, seem to really enjoy it (even store reviews are really positive)

I personally found it very boring myself.

KiteGr

I've got it and it's amazing!
The only real reason people don't try it is because that Avanger game left a bitter taste in their mouth.
....that, and perhaps using the actror's Stunt Doubles instead of the actual actors.

Ristifer

Because the whole Guardians of the Galaxy IP is a bland concept, full of bland characters designed only to be funny and/or edgy. It's like comic book and superhero stupidity pushed to 11.
That's what I was afraid of when I started to play it. But it's actually quite well written. So, the funny/edgy humour doesn't come across as cringy or anything of the sort. It also fits the narrative of a ragtag group of superheroes calling themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy. It's different when you play something like the Avengers and Iron Man needs a one-liner every single time he hits something. The humour just doesn't fit the Avengers characters at all, and needs to be kept to a minimum.

Fortunately, the humour here is wonderfully written and actually makes sense within the world and character building moments. I could see why some may be turned off of it, but it does wonders for me when it lands this well.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
That's what I was afraid of when I started to play it. But it's actually quite well written. So, the funny/edgy humour doesn't come across as cringy or anything of the sort. It also fits the narrative of a ragtag group of superheroes calling themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy. It's different when you play something like the Avengers and Iron Man needs a one-liner every single time he hits something. The humour just doesn't fit the Avengers characters at all, and needs to be kept to a minimum.

Fortunately, the humour here is wonderfully written and actually makes sense within the world and character building moments. I could see why some may be turned off of it, but it does wonders for me when it lands this well.
I understand and agree, but the point is it is still a Marvel superhero franchise, and I imagine people are starting to be tired of it (Marvel is trying to apply to movie in the MCU what they did to comics, but I don't want to have to watch 10 different interconnected movies the same way one would read a comic book).

K' Dash

I'll play it on GP, if I like it, I'll probably buy the sequel day 1, but right now I don't feel like spending money on it.

JayK47

The game is wearing on me. I want to wrap it up. I thought I was done, then nope. So close, yet so far. I really really do not like the combat. Since the game is based on comic characters, they are limited in what they can do. So no new guns and very limited moves. I wish the other characters would be more proactive on using abilities and not only when I command them. Since the controls are shit and the combat so hectic, I rarely get the commands right or on the right enemy. Probably the worst controls for squad based combat. I just got done with Mass Effect, and that older game does it so much better, even with a controller. So much easier to snap off abilities and get your squad to do what you want. In this game, every battle is just a cluster fuck. Also not a fan of puzzles in this game. It feels like filler and gets old quick. They've added a ton of elements from games like Tomb Raider, like squeezing between tight spaces every 2 minutes. It just was not the game I thought it would be. I was hoping it would be more like Mass Effect.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because the whole Guardians of the Galaxy IP is a bland concept, full of bland characters designed only to be funny and/or edgy. It's like comic book and superhero stupidity pushed to 11.
I love guardians. Reminds me of Prey (2006 game).
But I hate that i's a part of huge MCU. this makes the characters feel irrelevant

The game is wearing on me. I want to wrap it up. I thought I was done, then nope. So close, yet so far. I really really do not like the combat. Since the game is based on comic characters, they are limited in what they can do. So no new guns and very limited moves. I wish the other characters would be more proactive on using abilities and not only when I command them. Since the controls are shit and the combat so hectic, I rarely get the commands right or on the right enemy. Probably the worst controls for squad based combat. I just got done with Mass Effect, and that older game does it so much better, even with a controller. So much easier to snap off abilities and get your squad to do what you want. In this game, every battle is just a cluster fuck. Also not a fan of puzzles in this game. It feels like filler and gets old quick. They've added a ton of elements from games like Tomb Raider, like squeezing between tight spaces every 2 minutes. It just was not the game I thought it would be. I was hoping it would be more like Mass Effect.
The writing is great, and generally, the art design is great. Performances are great.
Gameplay is average at best, boring and janky and bad at worst.
I'm at chapter 11 i think, and I'm tired of it at this point. The combat is bad. walk walk walk walk, simple puzzle, walk behind something to find parts, squeeze through, bad combat.
It would be better as a smaller, focused, pure adventure game.

JayK47

Finished the game. The post credits sequence almost made it all worth it. The game did have it's moments, like the Lipless scene in the bar. Mantis and Cosmo were funny. All of the ladies were good looking. If only the combat was better and the story and level design not so linear. The level design in many cases was awful and not really fitting of the setting. Sliding sequences every 5 minutes? Come on. Who thinks that stuff is fun?

Finished the game. The post credits sequence almost made it all worth it. The game did have it's moments, like the Lipless scene in the bar. Mantis and Cosmo were funny. All of the ladies were good looking. If only the combat was better and the story and level design not so linear. The level design in many cases was awful and not really fitting of the setting. Sliding sequences every 5 minutes? Come on. Who thinks that stuff is fun?
The level design was remarkably bad. Again, I wish they just cut their losses and made it a pure adventure game, as the way it stands, it's a game filled with great writing and atrocious level design and combat.

SLB1904

Banned
Loved every bit of it. Definitely one of the best games last year for me

This game was in multiple game of the year lists of popular YouTubers, podcasts, etc. It’s not that underrated

Also this. The game was successful for sure

Last edited:
Top Bottom