• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp(?) Windows Store....WTF MS

Fbh

Sorry, have to post this in 2 posts because for some reason the page isn't allowing me to do it all together. I get a "something went wrong" message

Before getting a PC I had heard a lot of negative comments about it. I had even seen people say that while they were excited about Xbox exclusives coming to PC, they wouldn't buy them if they were only on the Windows 10 Store. I always assumed it was mostly hyperbole and people being mad that the games weren't on Steam.

Well I do have a PC now and some time ago I saw Gears of War 4 on sale for $20. I loved the franchise on 360 and even though I've heard of a lot of people that were disappointed by 4 I still wanted to try it myself......... jump a few weeks ahead and now I'm not even sure if I'll ever get to play it.

-Even just after redeeming the code on the store came the first surprise.... the game is 120gb????? What the hell is in this game to justify such a file size?? The Witcher 3, one of the best looking and most content packed games of the gen is like half as big even when you include the DLC. Does it have hours of 4K pre rendered cutscenes and if so, why don't they simply offer them as optional downloads like other games have done?.

-Anyway, I start downloading and since I don't have the fastest internet I know this will take several days to download. Over the next few day I leave it downloading whenever I get a chance (and when I don't need the internet to be fast for other things) and after 2 days I'm at around 60gb.

Last edited:

Fbh

Then the next day I turn on my Pc and everything I had downloaded is gone. The windows store has no recollection of ever having started downloading Gears of War 4, the used space has been freed up from my SSD and when looking at the games page I only get the option to "start downloading it".
I have no idea what happened, the only thing I suspect is a Windows Update (since it updated on the night before) but that has never cancelled a download from Steam or GOG or Battlenet. So I don't know if its related.

- So, frustrated, I start downloading it again and get to 15gb by the time I turn off the PC. The next time I turn it on the game just refuses to continue downloading. The progress bar just shows "error" and I get the very detailed explanation that "something went wrong". Restarting the PC does nothing and I even waited a few days to see if was an issue on their side but nothing changed.
So I cancelled the download and I'm now trying again..... for the third time

I was expecting the Windows store to be bad.... but not THIS bad. How the HELL is MS so freaking incompetent at making software for their own damn operating system ?
By now I half expect that even if I ever manage to download the game it will have some other sort of unexplained issue like bad performance or refusing to launch.
I thought people saying they would ignore good games just because they are on the Win 10 store were being silly, but I get it now and I think I'll do the same

Last edited:

sadaiyappan

The downloading in windows store was buggy for me until I got faster internet. My download would keep resetting back to zero.

Leonidas

I had issues with the Xbox games on Windows Store as well(some games wouldn't boot for me after a while). I ended up just getting Scorpio and running them on that...

Last edited:

Mathrin

Not going to give you hope, but I had something similar happen to me with Forza Horizon 3. I had to format because nothing I did (and I tried a hell of a lot...) would fix the store.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i want to hate the windows store as much as everyone else... but its always been flawless for me

edit: as people mentioned bandwidth im in NL and have 300/30.

i do see that stores in general seem to have crap download speed. xbox store and nintendo both take longer than steam which is lightning fast

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanAwake

The technical issues of the Windows Store aren't the only problems. It bothers me more that Microsoft is trying to push pc-gaming into a locked down environment using encrypted "apps", making great stuff like unlimited modding and community content/fixes/improvements very hard or even impossible.

Also, because of Play Anywhere, Windows Store games have price parity with console, resulting in much higher prices than we are used to have on Steam outside the US. Their discounts are pathetic and the best ones require a paid Gold subscription.

Last but not least, Microsofts efforts to push their own services results in a split userbase between Xbox Live and Steamworks for multiplatform games without cross-play.

It seems that Microsoft still hasn't a clue about what pc-gamers actually want. Instead, they're trying to push the Xbox console experience on pc, resulting in plenty of disadvantages for pc-gamers, especially if they don't have an Xbox.

That's why I refuse to support the Windows Store in any way. I can only hope that Microsoft turns things around or gives up before more 3rd party games are kept hostage in that dumpster fire

Banned
The only UWP game I ever bought was Forza Horizon 3 and it was a nightmare. Even on an SSD it'd take at least 3-5 minutes to load, and every session it would crash.

Blam

If you want an easier download use something like fiddler to grab the eappx link for Gears and just download it through chrome or something. Then that way you also have an offline installer for it as well.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The most funny thing about buying games in the Windows Store is that, if you want change the game's language (like in Gears of War), you have to change the language of fucking Windows. What a COLOSSAL fuck up is that?

Thank god MS doesn't have any interesting exclusives so I don't have to bother with their store. It's so bad, I have troubles finding something good to say about it.

How do these game downloads relate if you try and get them on Xbox? I bought gears of war but I bought a physical disc. Can you buy physical disc's on pc? If the windows store is a horrible place to obtain Xbox games for pc perhaps Xbox is the best place to play these games. Maybe that will stop the complaints that the Xbox has no exclusives if you can't easily play that game on pc but can on Xbox.

The Dark One

Mentaur

Neo Member
I have no issues 🤷‍♀️

I have had plenty of issues too. Currently I am playing Shadow of War and am completely unable to download the 4K Cinematicpack. It downloads a couple of MB and then I get an error 0x80073D01. Every time. Have reported it using the MS feedback tool but just found loads of other people complaining about the same thing, dated months ago. That's just unacceptable for a service which involves money.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I have had plenty of issues too. Currently I am playing Shadow of War and am completely unable to download the 4K Cinematicpack. It downloads a couple of MB and then I get an error 0x80073D01. Every time. Have reported it using the MS feedback tool but just found loads of other people complaining about the same thing, dated months ago. That's just unacceptable for a service which involves money.

have you made sure your pc is up to date

Shifty

Late To The Trash Fire

Mine never managed to download Halo Forge. Managed to get and play ReCore for free which was nice, but the whole thing is a total crapshoot.

Zizbuka

Banned
I remember having these issues too. I kinda remember there's a way to clear out the cache of the Windows store, doing that fixed it. Been a while, don't remember the steps.

Easy enough to find. Search the start menu for wsreset.exe, run as Admin.

Last edited:
What is even more annoying that when you do get an app or game downloaded it doesn't exist in Program files like everything else. So say you want to move your app into rocketdock or something you can't. There is simply no way to get the path to the app. At best you can pin it to the start menu.

Neo 007

As an example..I brought Minecraft on the Microsoft store through my same x-box account but when on the console Microsoft wants me to buy it again.

dudu0609

Neo Member
I am a heavy Windows Store user because I am a light PC user and don't want to bother traditional Win32 programs any more because of the malware, add-on plugin issues.

However, I only download Apps and small games (<1GB) from Windows Store and in most of time, no problems. But the experience is still behind App Store and Google Play. I really wish Microsoft can fix the issue ASAP because it is unbelievable a software giant cannot deliver a good App store.

I don't download big games because I know there will be issues.

keraj37

Sorry to hear that - I can only imagine how frustrated you are.
Fortunately the only games I was even considering buying on Win Store were Forza games, but since I have Steam, Origin, UPlay etc already, I decided that I don't want to multiply my gaming experience by forth dimension and simply stayed away from Win Store exclusives and wait until they are on Steam (where all games should be published day one - wish).

So for me any exclusives on Win Store is lost cause, until they are available elsewhere.

To cheer you up, I can tell you that if Origin client crashes during download (several times happened to me as Windows updated itself sending kill signal to anything running including origin) you will face similar issue as the one you have with Win Store. Happened to me with all Battlefront games and both of them are at 60+ gb size.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I had issues with FH3 but that wasn't windows store that game just wasn't done.

Other than that it's been pretty smooth.

psn

Not only does it take forever to download, it installs for hours after you downloaded the game files. What. The. Fuck.

Even just after redeeming the code on the store came the first surprise.... the game is 120gb????? What the hell is in this game to justify such a file size??

Very odd thing with MS exclusives this gen where Halo 5 and Gears 4 have insane file sizes. I couldn't tell you the actual reason why, and I don't think the devs themselves could either. There have been many complaints about it and it seems at least they are making file size and afterthought from now on, MCC now gives the option to download bits of the game that you want, so you dont have to have a huge file size for parts of the game you probably never use.

An option should be given to choose if certain parts which eat up the hard drive

Dontero

Banned
That is just Unreal Engine being Unreal Engine. Always AAA games made on had huge sizes. First gears on PC is like 20GB which at the time was insane. Xcom ? Another 20GB+

Top Bottom