• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: X-Men Apocalypse - OPEN SPOILERS

dankir

NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENED??@!?@!? Every scene are just group shots of people standing together....standing around.... doing squat.

My favorite shit talking, super witty shape shifting villain is turned into somebody who's eyes go white? Oscar Isaac deserved better.

I WANTED THIS!!!
556.gif

And we got this!!
images

Why is Mystique the main character... AGAIN. Her mutant power is now the ability to give speeches to other mutants? She's so boring on screen.

Magneto they killed your mother and daughter, I was expecting rusty metal bits from the forest floor ripping them to pieces. Not the same trick from First class.

They literally have Quicksilver doing the same thing as Days.... come on Singer!!!

Why is Wolverine in this?? How did they even capture him after Days of Future past?

Dark Phoenix for 35 seconds and that's it?? ALL IS REVEALED.... indeed. How did she even kill Apocalypse???

Archangel lol, Storm lol, Psylocke just runs away at the end?

The best part of the film was literally the danger room scene and the Sentinels coming in. MORE OF THAT.... LESS OF THIS.....
tumblr_o472vcxKsd1rrb9xco2_r1_500.gif

Sansa was totally right, the 3rd ones are always the worst. THIS IS TWICE NOW!

dankir

EVERYTHING THEY'VE BUILT

WILL FALL

Why didn't he just use his sand powers to do that? I didn't even understand the purpose of turning Magneto's magnetic field powers.

They just wanted to show this with visualized with debris and shit....so useless.

4d7044685fee240f1bd32a5a73488f12ffc8df54.png

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My heart sunk when they announced that Fassbender was coming back for Dark Phoenix. Nothing against him, but they're gonna do the same bullshit they've done with Magneto in every movie. He's been the antagonist in almost all of the mainline films. Even when there is another villain, Magneto still ends up being the focus at the end. It's exhausting.

Kinda want to watch Apocalypse again, see if I'll feel differently. I didn't hate it as much as others, but it's an incredibly mediocre movie. They just recycled plot points and scenes from First Class and Days of Future past and amped them up a little. And then they totally glossed over Apocalypse's rule/origin in favor of another Magneto redemption arc. It's like the movie was genuinely afraid to do anything different.

I get the sense that the amount of X-Men: Apocalypse threads is going to the catch up to the amount of BvS threads pretty quickly, simply because people will forget they saw the movie the first time and make the same thread twice.

It popped up on Netflix a few months back and I was like "....OH, RIGHT".

dankir

I get the sense that the amount of X-Men: Apocalypse threads is going to the catch up to the amount of BvS threads pretty quickly, simply because people will forget they saw the movie the first time and make the same thread twice.

It popped up on Netflix a few months back and I was like "....OH, RIGHT".

My first time watching it. Actually got it during boxing day last year. Just never got around opening it.

2 1/2 hours wherein they do absolutely fucking nothing but render the last movie pointless and have an excuse to write out J-Law and make McAvoy bald.

I saw this shit twice and fell asleep BOTH times.

The combination of ballsy and utterly boring that is Magneto fucking destroying Auschwitz is probably the scene that best represents the film as a whole.

Like, what the fuck are you doing
and holy SHIT you're really doing that
And weird because I don't really care that you're doing that?
But it looks okay I guess so... eh?

eh.

There are some really fucking awesome moments, maybe the most X-Men of X-Men moments in this movie, but they're like little oases of "Oh hey, they're finally doing that in an X-Men movie that's cool" in a sea of "Oh, they're doing all this other shit that I don't... give a fuck about at all. I just don't."

I did like Weapon X going apeshit at Alkali lake though. That was cool.

The combination of ballsy and utterly boring that is Magneto fucking destroying Auschwitz is probably the scene that best represents the film as a whole.

eh.

There are some really fucking awesome moments, maybe the most X-Men of X-Men moments in this movie, but they're like little oases of "Oh hey, they're finally doing that in an X-Men movie that's cool" in a sea of "Oh, they're doing all this other shit that I don't... give a fuck about at all. I just don't."

Out of all the movies, THIS ONE is the one that actually lets them kinda have the costumes.

JeTmAn81

eh.

X-Men-Apocalypse-77-600x400.jpg

At least it looked cool and made for good trailer fodder.

I'm a sucker for all X-Men movies so I'm currently watching this for the second time. I even liked Last Stand.

Dalek

eh.

Don't forget Olivia Munnn in a swimsuit at Auschwitz.

I honestly was angry at how much I hated this movie. No more Magneto and no more Mystique. For fucks sake.

eh.

This is pretty much my opinion but I didn't care for the Weapon X sequence at all. Such a downgrade after First Class and DofP. At least we got Logan this year.

Don't forget Olivia Munnn in a swimsuit at Auschwitz.

I honestly was angry at how much I hated this movie. No more Magneto and no more Mystique. For fucks sake.

Or if you do Magneto, fucking RECAST, Fassbender is checked the fuck out. Get an older dude who you can dye his hair white to do New Mutants.

Slayven

eh.

the entire Magneto storyline was tragic but for all the wrong reasons.

Also the scene where teh X-kids come back from playing at the mall and the school is in ruins makes them look like assholes

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It was fine. The hysterical hate seizures people have for it are amusing though. Like a bunch of teenagers hyperventilating in a blind rage trying to outhate each other.

I remember being very frustrated that Quicksilver's entire storyline was built up for him to either say something or do something for Magneto at the end.

and nothing happened.

I mean, him getting his leg broke by Apocalypse was a nice little subversion, I liked that a little. But like - he didn't say anything at the battle, he didn't say anything after the battle, his whole point in being there was to say something or do something, and he didnt do anything at all.

It was just weird. There was no good reason for him to not do the only thing he's in the movie to do. He just... didn't do it.

It was fine. The hysterical hate seizures people have for it are amusing though. Like a bunch of teenagers hyperventilating in a blind rage trying to outhate each other.

what are you talking about

Even if what you were talking about was actually happening, it's not happening in here.

I just remembered the scene where a big policeman gets spooked by some birds and he accidentally lets go of his bowstring which sends a single arrow into Magneto's wife and daughter's hearts, impaling them together into a loving family embrace and killing them instantly.

This is an odd film.

Slayven

I remember being very frustrated that Quicksilver's entire storyline was built up for him to either say something or do something for Magneto at the end.

and nothing happened.

I mean, him getting his leg broke by Apocalypse was a nice little subversion, I liked that a little. But like - he didn't say anything at the battle, he didn't say anything after the battle, his whole point in being there was to say something or do something, and he didnt do anything at all.

It was just weird. There was no good reason for him to not do the only thing he's in the movie to do. He just... didn't do it.

Bobby think about this, Poccy literally stood around waiting for the X-kids to make a side trip into Canada for no reason except to show Wolverine for 5 seconds.

This isn't BvS, I'm struggling to think of anybody who's reaction too it was beyond just, apathy and a feeling of "why does this exist"?

Nobody was frothing at the mouth with hate over it.

I can give that a pass because it was a weird side-adventure that at least existed to build some sort of camaraderie between them as team members. They had to work together there. It wasn't executed all that well but it was an example of character building at least being attempted in the movie, and somewhat executed.

Which, considering what was happening with Magneto and Charles and Quicksilver and... something was supposed to be happening with Storm, right? I think?

Anyway, the fact that the movie was actually trying to put X-Men in shitty situations and having them work together to get out of them got some points from me.

Slayven

They really should have left the mall scene in

As a x-men nerd i find it funny Poccy was so enamored with Chuck's telepathy. Like it was the first time he seen it, TP is like the most common mutant power. Even Jubliee has telepathy

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This isn't BvS, I'm struggling to think of anybody who's reaction too it was beyond just, apathy and a feeling of "why does this exist"?

Nobody was frothing at the mouth with hate over it.

Reactions during initial release were most certainly absurdly over the top. Not BvS level, but nothing can come close to that.

Ray Down

Banned
I don't see how anyone would really want comic Apocalypse in live action, mainly due to the the dumb A on his belt.

Though not like the movie made his deign better but no worse.

And man that third movie joke.

Slayven

Yeah but how else are we gonna establish that JEAN GRAY IS GOING TO BE IMPORTANT if not for that?
Most unearned shit ever.

1. People don't like me
2. scary dream
3,?????????????
4. Awesome comic power

I don't see how anyone would really want comic Apocalypse in live action, mainly due to the the dumb A on his belt.

Though not like the movie made his deign better but no worse.

I shit on Poccy, but he has some good designs

I still can't decide whether Ivan Oozecalypse was the best or worst thing about this film.

Also, Psylocke dressed like THAT while in a concentration camp, for fuck's sake...

Shaanyboi

Banned
Apocalypse is the kind of superhero movie people might've thought was passable, even a positive direction for the franchise, like 10+ years ago. There are the costumes, the overthetop uses of powers, etc. But the genre has done so many better things since, it feels like an archaic mess.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Did you like how Magneto pretty much killed probably millions of people with his magnetic hoo-ha and Charles was totally cool with it, so he got off scott-free?

I still can't decide whether Ivan Oozecalypse was the best or worst thing about this film.

Also, Psylocke dressed like THAT while in a concentration camp, for fuck's sake...

And Bryan "FUCK YOUR COSTUMES COSTUMES ARE FOR FUCKING NERDS" Singer was the one to green light that shit.

Wolverine showing up felt like some fan service shit cause it made no sense to me.

But the film just felt flat. Like there was just nothing to it. The characters outside of Professor X, Magento, Quicksilver, and Apocalypse were rather awful.

Apocalypse is the kind of superhero movie people might've thought was passable, even a positive direction for the franchise, like 10+ years ago. There are the costumes, the overthetop uses of powers, etc. But the genre has done so many better things since, it feels like an archaic mess.

The issue is that he feels like he's from a completely different franchise. You can do him if you like, embrace and fully go into comic level stupid that the X-books are from jump. But they just spent two whole movies and a spin-off for the most part, taking this shit pretty damn serious.

So the giant blue armored god from ancient egypt who's got an army of evil mutants to fuck shit up cause he can just feels so ridiculous you can't parse it. This is a film with a scene set in a concentration camp. The tone is just a mess.

Top Bottom