• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Should I start here?

SCB3

So I've had this since launch ish (I remember getting a eShop voucher for Xmas around its release) and never got around to playing it.

Booted it up and found I'm only a couple of hours in (on Chapter 2) but before I continue, is it worth grabbing the first game and playing that first? It does have a Definitive Edition on Switch for a decent price atm

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think worth playing both XC1 and 2, and you will appreciate 2nd and even 3rd game's story more if you play the first game.

SCB3

I think worth playing both XC1 and 2, and you will appreciate 2nd and even 3rd game's story more if you play the first game.
I was thinking of going back to 1 if I enjoyed 2 anyway before 3 is out but I'm not sure if they're linked other than by name/worlds

Demigod Mac

The games take place in separate worlds that are [somewhat] linked, but this doesn't come into account until the end stage of the game, so you can safely play them out of order.
(but for maximum storyline appreciation you may want to play the first, first)

Danjin44

I was thinking of going back to 1 if I enjoyed 2 anyway before 3 is out but I'm not sure if they're linked other than by name/worlds
3rd game is definitely linked, they are combining worlds of 1st and 2nd game and has returning characters, you should play first two games before 3rd comes out.

SCB3

3rd game is definitely linked, they are combining worlds of 1st and 2nd game and has returning characters, you should play first two games before 3rd comes out.
Sorry I meant the first 2 games, I knew the 3rd was going to be doing that

Chukhopops

You can play them in any order to be honest since they are very loosely connected. But I think 1 is a lot better in all aspects: better exploration, better OST, better story.

SCB3

ok, seems like it doesn't matter, so I'll do 2 first and maybe then 1 before doing the DLC (Torna county or whatever it it's called) as come the end of feb there is a lot out

I will say though, the Voice Acting in this, I'm British and its really hard to take seriously these Accents combined with the Anime looks, I'm sure I'll get used to it especially as Final Fantasy can be like this as well.

Also, damn on some of the girls designs so far! ResetEra would be having a fit

Danjin44

I will say though, the Voice Acting in this, I'm British and its really hard to take seriously these Accents combined with the Anime looks, I'm sure I'll get used to it especially as Final Fantasy can be like this as well.
I personally played the 2nd game with Japanese voices.

I enjoyed XB2 much more overall.
Same, I really enjoyed first game a lot but absolutely LOVED 2nd game.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Play the XC 1 first. You will be... fine if you play 2 first, but both games are connected and a REALLY cool moment at the end of 2 will pass you by without knowing the first game story(And will spoil certain things in 1).

So yeah, if possible, play the first game first.

SCB3

I've bought a copy of the Definitive Edition from eBay as I had some discounts and Credit, but holy shit is it expensive these days! I swear it was cheaper a few months ago

I also loaded up 2 and found I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2 climbing up some mountain area with Pyra at 2 hours exactly, so not long at all, so I'll start the with the first one

Top Bottom