• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucas to turn all Star Wars movies into 3-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evander

"industry expert"
Salmonax said:
It seems like Lucas is now, above all, the head of a large company with thousands of employees depending on consistent projects that return huge numbers. The pressure must be especially intense since he sunk over $300 million into the San Francisco campus.

When you look at projects like the unnecessarily effects-crammed and creatively questionable special editions, prequels, and Indy 4 through that lens, their existence makes perfect sense.

What doesn't make sense is a refusal to allow fans to have the originals remastered but unchanged.

Salmonax

Evander said:
What doesn't make sense is a refusal to allow fans to have the originals remastered but unchanged.
They'll do it eventually when they run out of other ways to repurpose the films - "Classic Edition" or something.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Salmonax said:
It seems like Lucas is now, above all, the head of a large company with thousands of employees depending on consistent projects that return huge numbers. The pressure must be especially intense since he sunk over $300 million into the San Francisco campus.

When you look at projects like the unnecessarily effects-crammed and creatively questionable special editions, prequels, and Indy 4 through that lens, their existence makes perfect sense.

And yet LucasArts is failure -_-

Evander

"industry expert"
Salmonax said:
They'll do it eventually when they run out of other ways to repurpose the films - "Classic Edition" or something.

I honestly don't believe it.

Because the next release will probably be on Bluray, but if they were ACTUALLY only considering the money, like you're suggesting, there would be a remastered originals release on DVD as well, prior to the HD jump.

Evander said:
He did, but they are sold individually, and ONLY sold bundled with his redone versions of them.

The originals are also NOT remastered.

The entire purpose seems to be to get you to watch both of them, and then submit to his remakes because the colors are much more vivid.
I'll stick to my VHSs then, I even remember the "touched" versions released during Episode 1 on VHS as well. Can't recall what had other than a few CGI monsters and what not.

Evander

"industry expert"
Prime crotch said:
Can't recall what had other than a few CGI monsters and what not.

Greedo shot first and there was a new CGI musical number in Jabba's palace.

Also an additional scene between Han and Jabba in Episode 1, but that wasn't bad.

Salmonax

Evander said:
Because the next release will probably be on Bluray, but if they were ACTUALLY only considering the money, like you're suggesting, there would be a remastered originals release on DVD as well, prior to the HD jump.
Well, the whole sales pitch of the Special Editions was that they were what Lucas wanted to do all along. Putting any more work into the originals, which Lucas claims to be embarrassed by, would contradict the whole concept of the Special Editions being the definitive version of the Star Wars trilogy.

So at this point it may be about where they've staked the brand - not to mention the Anakin continuity they injected into Return of the Jedi. The fact that the SEs sold well (even to purists, no doubt) means they have no compelling reason to backpedal anyway.

Evander

"industry expert"
Salmonax said:
Well, the whole sales pitch of the Special Editions was that they were what Lucas wanted to do all along. Putting any more work into the originals, which Lucas claims to be embarrassed by, would contradict the whole concept of the Special Editions being the definitive version of the Star Wars trilogy.

So at this point it may be about where they've staked the brand - not to mention the Anakin continuity they injected into Return of the Jedi. The fact that the SEs sold well (even to purists, no doubt) means they have no compelling reason to backpedal anyway.

They DID release the originals, though, bundled individually with their respective remakes. They just refused to remaster the colors and audio, etc.

If this was purely monitary, they would remaster it, because it WOULD sell. Clearly (and I don't think you disagree) there is another agenda in place beyond JUST money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom