• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucas to turn all Star Wars movies into 3-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffrey Katzenberg, who is a major advocate of theatrical 3-D films, has disclosed that George Lucas is investing in a technology that could turn all of his Star Wars movies into 3-D features that could be given new releases. Katzenberg told the website ComingSoon.net that he now has the technical resources to begin the conversion process. Previous attempts to turn 2-D movies into 3-D have produced mixed results and reactions -- mostly negative -- but Katzenberg remarked in the interview that Lucas "isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate."

I don't know if this is going to work as he thinks it can.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The new 3D technology is very effective. I wouldn't mind seeing how this turns out, as long as he doesn't make any other changes.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
but Katzenberg remarked in the interview that Lucas "isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate."
What the hell was episode 2 then? A leaked prototype?

Walshicus

I once had a detailed conversation with a friend of mine that basically came to the following conclussion:
The two Star Wars trilogies could be re-cut into four really, really good films instead of two shit, two okay and two great films.

EDIT: Remember the romantic-ish trailers for Episode 2 that were pretty interesting but turned out shitty? Those scenes alone could be re-cut into something good.

but Katzenberg remarked in the interview that Lucas "isn't going to put a product out, I think, that isn't anything other than first rate."

23s7sj9.jpg

Salmonax said:
Naturally. He always envisioned the films as 3D - he just didn't have the technology.

but of course. I can't wait to buy the regular edition 3D and the super star destroyer 3D cobalt HDDVD in 2019

Isn't this pretty old news? We just haven't heard much on its progress for a long time. Well, at least I haven't; maybe the ManaBytes of the world have their ears on this.

jett

D-Member
Anyone here that wears glasses gone to a 3D movie? Is it possible to wear those thigns on top of you regular glasses without feeling uncomfortable? :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
jett said:
Anyone here that wears glasses gone to a 3D movie? Is it possible to wear those thigns on top of you regular glasses without feeling uncomfortable? :p

Yes, I saw Monster House and the 3D version of Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D and I wear glasses. The 3D lenses are oversized and fit over your glasses fine, plus they're very light in weight so you hardly notice they're there.

old news, but good to know he's still on board with it, as i always thought it would be cool. imagine the opening sequence of ROTS in 3D - regardless if you think hte movies are shit, you cant really deny that it'd blow your fucking mind.

but I think he's going to wait until there's stereoscopic technology in theaters, or something really revolutionary

I can see at least one changed scene, "I hate sand, it's course, it's rough, it gets in my little pink jockeys." *Turns and throws sand at camera.*

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
When I want up-to-date Star Wars news, I turn to Jeff Katzenberg.

monkspider said:
Shit just got real. :lol

I really can't wrap my mind around how this project is going to work exactly.
So much of it is layer upon layer already. As long as they've go the source for each layer separate, shifting each layer a bit for individual eyes would do a lot. To get more accurate (say, trying to fake different depths on a person rather than having them appear as different layers of flat) would take more time-consuming trickery, but it's not like they've shied away from that.

Sir Fragula said:
I once had a detailed conversation with a friend of mine that basically came to the following conclussion:
The two Star Wars trilogies could be re-cut into four really, really good films instead of two shit, two okay and two great films.

EDIT: Remember the romantic-ish trailers for Episode 2 that were pretty interesting but turned out shitty? Those scenes alone could be re-cut into something good.

I watched the first 3 movies cut into one 4 hour movie once -- they cut out a lot of filler. It was pretty enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
the year 20XX said:
Now he's going to shoot AT US

Damnit... that was totally the joke U was going to make! :lol

I'll probably go for the sheer theatrics of it... like a amusement park ride. But it would be rad if they could do smell too.. like in Disney World... man, imagine Jabba's Palace...

Skiptastic said:
Why is this funny? I think the new movie looks awesome. I like the art direction they chose with this. Better than trying to make it hyper real and going into the uncanny valley.

It could be cartoony without being ugly.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I read pretty much this exact same story with the same details in 2005.

BocoDragon

It is pretty weird that a new Star Wars is coming to theaters and I don't think anyone cares...

Darklord

Banned
The Clone Wars has a horrible art style. It looks like a shitty cartoon network show. I hope they don't use that for the others(if they do end up making them).

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
BocoDragon said:
It is pretty weird that a new Star Wars is coming to theaters and I don't think anyone cares...
Well, it's just an animated feature. And it's not like they've put a whole lot of promotion into it.

BocoDragon

fallengorn said:
Well, it's just an animated feature. And it's not like they've put a whole lot of promotion into it.
That's what I mean though... they could have marketed it like it was pixar... it's Star Wars! But they aren't. It's just the clear end of an era where Star Wars in the theaters = big bucks... that's all.

Who knows, though. It could sell anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom