• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasarts games coming to GOG.com, out now [6 to start, 14+ more games to follow]

RAIDEN1

So just to be clear with the X-wing Tie fighter games, you do get CD quality sound/speech from the start? This is not a conversion of the floppy disk versions?

Minsc

Gold Member
So just to be clear with the X-wing Tie fighter games, you do get CD quality sound/speech from the start? This is not a conversion of the floppy disk versions?

Currently, the Collector's DOS CDs are not included, which are the preferred way to play the game by most people. So there's a lot lacking on the DOS side, because the two games only feature the original DOS floppy releases (well whatever was before the Collector's Editions).

The Windows versions included do feature the speech, but it is lower quality to save space I believe. And the audio is different too, which is now redbook in Windows instead of the better, imuse system in DOS that mixes the music to correspond to what takes place in the game. The redbook audio is not the same compositions as used in the DOS version and people find it to not fit the game as well as the DOS music.

The speech in the windows version, and John Williams redbook audio can be modded somewhat though. The higher quality DOS speech can be inserted and a recording of the music from the DOS version can be used instead of the John Williams tracks, but while it fits the game better, it is not as dynamic as the actual imuse version.

The Windows version does feature "better" graphics, with texture mapping instead of gouraud shading like in the DOS version. Even this some people find to be worse, though that is more a matter of taste, when I tried the Windows version for the first time, I definitely felt the graphics were significantly different and in some ways better and some ways much busier looking which may not be better. The Windows version also has inferior models for a few of the ships from what I read, and the balance / timing of the weapons and levels is a bit different from the DOS version.

epmode

Has GOG said anything about updating their release to the DOS CD version? It's preferable to the floppy version in every way.

Someone want to fill me in on the reference to these games as Lucasfilm games? Are they going out of their way to not call them Lucasarts? Or are those titles interchangeable? Lucasfilm still exists, maybe that's why they're using it. Or maybe that's the only Lucas name Disney actually owns now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Someone want to fill me in on the reference to these games as Lucasfilm games? Are they going out of their way to not call them Lucasarts? Or are those titles interchangeable? Lucasfilm still exists, maybe that's why they're using it. Or maybe that's the only Lucas name Disney actually owns now.

It was called Lucasfilm Games until they reorganized in 1990 and renamed it to Lucasarts.

epmode

also a note on the DOS version, they aren't scaling up the graphics properly. It looks like it's a 320x200 screen that's being resized to 320x240, so you're getting uneven lines in there. They probably should just resize the 320x200 to 1920x1080 (or at least give the option to do that)

I believe that's intentional. Back in the day, 320x200 games were running on 4:3 CRT monitors which handled scaling themselves. So the games were designed with the vertical stretch in mind. If you're interested in preserving the proper aspect ratio on a modern monitor, you actually want the uneven lines in there.

I believe that's intentional. Back in the day, 320x200 games were running on 4:3 CRT monitors which handled scaling themselves. So the games were designed with the vertical stretch in mind. If you're interested in preserving the proper aspect ratio on a modern monitor, you actually want the uneven lines in there.

No, you should be able to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio without the uneven lines. As someone pointed out there is an options thing you can launch to change the settings and fix it. Haven't done it yet but I'm pretty sure that will fix it.

BJWanlund

Oh man... I'm really still in shock that LucasArts is on GOG now!! Can't wait to see Yoda Stories, Outlaws, and Episode I Racer are all on there too!

Two questions:

First, I happen to have a Gravis Blackhawk joystick and a Gravis joystick as pictured earlier in this thread and I'd like to see if i can get them out of storage and get them marginally working again. So, can I get a modern sound card for my desktop PC with the joystick port, or am I screwed?

Second, I only know of the Star Wars games and the point-&-click adventures. is there another game outside of those two niches that I should watch for?

Top Bottom