• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm finally announces Star Wars for Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Medalion said:
Hooray!

So let's talk about getting rid of the singing sequence from ROTJ and we'll be set
God yes.

It's not out of the realm of possibility. Who'd have thought they'd redo ANH Jabba the Hutt on the DVDs, only 7 years after the awful 1997 version?

Salmonax

Medalion said:
Hooray!

So let's talk about getting rid of the singing sequence from ROTJ and we'll be set
That would be amazing. Putting aside how much it sucked in the first place, much of the Special Edition CG looks more dated than the original effects at this point.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Salmonax said:
That would be amazing. Much of the Special Edition CG looks more dated than the original effects at this point.
Yeah.. even by the time of Episode I, the Special Edition CG looked awful, and that was only 2 years later.

Medalion

Banned
260px-Ataleoftwohutts.jpg

Never forget

1997 above
2004 version below

Apparently there are some Blu-Ray rips now floating about on the internet. There's been some interesting news.

First are clips from each of the OT movies.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M43QHHVP
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C6M70CQQ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3K4CLWW4

Notice the Ewok eyes changed in the ROTJ clip for the better and unfortunately wrong lightsaber in ANH :(

Now a couple audio changes:
http://www.mediafire.com/?w1j5vcmbajq4tqo - Dragon Call in Episode 4 by Ben
http://www.mediafire.com/?t1laew88qzr6xhr - Noooooooooooo Noooooooooooooooooooooo added on to the end of ROTJ

Can't say I like either of them at all.
---
Allegedly they have changed the Han scene to where he shoots a split second after Greedo and they removed the flinch from him.

e: Whoop, looks like it's being discussed here already. NoooooooOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441963&page=8

Anth0ny said:
Why is vader's lightsaber purple? -__-

I don't want to sound like a nag, but seriously, it's not hard. Fans fix that in 5 minutes. Lucas is a billionaire ffs.

vadersaber.jpg

ugh

To be fair, the picture does look a lot better.

mrkgoo

Gary Whitta said:
Best way to improve it would be to remove it. I don't know why Lucas ever felt we needed two scenes practically back-to-back that serve almost exactly the same purpose.

also, it kind of ruins the 'reveal' of jabba in Episode VI. One of my fondest memories of childhood was watching and rewatching a making of video that I had on VHS, where they climbed inside th giant jabba puppet. Jabba was so fascinating to me because of this, having two actors each playing one arm and another part of jabba. The horrible special edition in 1997 really crapped on my nostalgia. Not to mention the weird line that always grated me - "You,re a wonderful human being, jabba."

Or is it supposed to be, "you'd make a wonderful human being, jabba".

mrkgoo said:
also, it kind of ruins the 'reveal' of jabba in Episode VI. One of my fondest memories of childhood was watching and rewatching a making of video that I had on VHS, where they climbed inside th giant jabba puppet. Jabba was so fascinating to me because of this, having two actors each playing one arm and another part of jabba. The horrible special edition in 1997 really crapped on my nostalgia. Not to mention the weird line that always grated me - "You,re a wonderful human being, jabba."

Or is it supposed to be, "you'd make a wonderful human being, jabba".
i think it's obvious that jabba was originally intended to be a human character

Salmonax

mrkgoo said:
Not to mention the weird line that always grated me - "You,re a wonderful human being, jabba."
I guess now it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

But what kind of self-respecting crime boss would run an errand like this himself, allow someone who owes him money to make some snarky comments and walk away, and not respond to being stepped on? Even if you ignore how different he looks from the ROTJ version, the scene completely sabotages Jabba as a character and a threat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I finally finished watching the original trilogy with my kids for the first time this weekend. Return of the Jedi was particularly bad.

Apart from Darth Vader appearing as a teenager at the end (urgh), the scene in Jabba's palace with the furry singer was almost palatable, except for the bits where the alien with the lips nearly kisses the screen and the camera practically zooms into the singer's tonsils. Just comes across as 'look at me, isn't CG fun!'. No, its jarring and distracts me from the movie.

JaskoX1

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I don't mind the EP1 Yoda puppet change as it was always horrible. The movie was always horrible regardless.
Yeah, it looked like they ordered a yoda puppet from china and said..eh this is close enough.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I couldn't find the answer anywhere, so I'll ask here--are the deleted scenes on all the blu-rays or just the Complete Saga?

mrklaw said:
I finally finished watching the original trilogy with my kids for the first time this weekend. Return of the Jedi was particularly bad.

Apart from Darth Vader appearing as a teenager at the end (urgh), the scene in Jabba's palace with the furry singer was almost palatable, except for the bits where the alien with the lips nearly kisses the screen and the camera practically zooms into the singer's tonsils. Just comes across as 'look at me, isn't CG fun!'. No, its jarring and distracts me from the movie.

What did the kids think?

WillyFive

MarshMellow96 said:
Is it me or is the music more.. intrusive in the originals?

You mean that the later versions had the music drowned out by sound effects.

For example when the X-Wings head towards the Death Star in Episode 4, the music is almost completely drowned out by the sounds of the X-Wing engines.

Intrusive is a bad word to use, because it implies it gets in the way of the movie. The sound effects are actually getting in the way of the music.

Chiggs

I hope Lucas keeps adding stuff to these films until he dies...and then somehow manages to have his brain transplanted to a render farm at ILM, and the posthumous additions keep piling up.

Now that's power!

RPGCrazied

So what if people already own the last DVD box set of the movies and just wants the DVD extra's from this set? Really annoyed I'd have to fork over $90 for it.

ascii42

Talladega Knight said:
i think it's obvious that jabba was originally intended to be a human character
Actually, he wasn't.
The original script to A New Hope describes Jabba as a "fat, slug-like creature with eyes on extended feelers and a huge ugly mouth", but Lucas stated in an interview that the initial character he had in mind was much furrier and resembled a Wookiee.

I think the "wonderful human being" line was always intended to be tongue in cheek.

jaxword

ascii42 said:
Actually, he wasn't.

I think the "wonderful human being" line was always intended to be tongue in cheek.

Yeah, wasn't the fat scottish fur-trader just supposed to be a stand-in for the real model?

People rag on Lucas for his blue-screen obsession nowadays, but he clearly had dreams of that since minute one.

Kunan

Slavik81 said:
They better! I want my damn Thrawn trilogy.
This! Also I could use a few standalones of the most exceptional books.

B.K. said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Comparison_of_digital_manipulation_of_spirit_scene.jpg
Why is Anakin giving sex you eyes D: What an awful performance.

entremet

You guys still have your LD's hooked up? I can understand the backlash, but 1080P>>>480i/p any day of the week.

3rdman

mrklaw said:

That added music scene is so damn jarring...Aside from the fact that it is stylistically completely opposite from the rest of the movie, it removes what is actually a pretty good tune from the original.

The original song (and band) fit far better in that location...this, Greedo shooting first, and young Anakin at the end are by far my biggest issues with the changes.

Sapiens

entrement said:
You guys still have your LD's hooked up? I can understand the backlash, but 1080P>>>480i/p any day of the week.

They'll all buy the BluRay, don't worry.

It's just the last whimpering complaints before all the fans buckle (like they always do) and fill up George's neck pouch with diamonds again*.

*he digests the diamonds in his neck pouch over a series of years (kind of like a sarlac pit).

Sapiens

Medalion said:
260px-Ataleoftwohutts.jpg

Never forget

1997 above
2004 version below

Is the part where Han walks over Jabba's tail still in there? Always looked really terrible, but I appreciated the effort.

Yes, there are some goofy new additions, like Darth Vader yelling "NOOOOO" as he throws Emperor Palpatine over the railing.
So every time the movie releases it's just going to get worse? Why can't he just let it alone.. I really don't know that I want to buy this. Might just stick with my old VHS and DVDs. I wouldn't even mind if he would just leave a regular version on these, but someone liking the movies as they were seems to offend him.

emacs

DownLikeBCPowder said:
So every time the movie releases it's just going to get worse? Why can't he just let it alone.. I really don't know that I want to buy this.

i'm pretty confident a large number of people who oppose the changes will end up purchasing the film(s) on Blu-ray anyway. that's how Internet forum rage works: vent for a bit and do exactly the opposite. ;)

emacs said:
i'm pretty confident a large number of people who oppose the changes will end up purchasing the film(s) on Blu-ray anyway. that's how Internet forum rage works: vent for a bit and do exactly the opposite. ;)

I always hated the old versions....so for me it makes me more likely to buy.

( I realize I am in the minority )

Gary Whitta is a nice man. A handsome man. The perfect fit for writing the screenplay to the latest entry in a long-running movie series, whatever that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom