• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LucasFilm prepped a Bobba Fett spinoff teaser reel before director dropped out

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the release of the new film, the Star Wars braintrust will map out the further reaches of the galaxy. Among the titles that have been considered is a Boba Fett/bounty hunter movie that director Josh Trank was hired to make before he dropped out following the troubled production of his Fantastic Four reboot. It came so close to being officially announced, Lucasfilm even prepped a teaser reel to show at Star Wars Celebration in spring of 2015, sources tell EW. At the last minute, the split with Trank backburnered the project.

Other deets from the article.

No opening crawl for Rogue One:

“More than likely we will not have a crawl,” Kennedy says of the iconic floating text that has opened every previous Star Wars movie. “We feel that that is proprietary with the saga films. But how this evolves…? We haven’t fully decided, and [traditional Star Wars elements] may be pretty spare for this first one.”

On Michael Giacchino’s music:

Composer Michael Giacchino’s music, for instance, will include slight homages to the iconic original score by John Williams, but most of what we hear will be original.

Michael Giacchino (Doctor Strange, Up), a last-minute addition to the Rogue One team, about his breakneck score that he describes as the galactic version of World War II music.

More about LucasFilm future plans are included in this article: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/22/rogue-one-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-movies

SpaceWolf

Banned
“More than likely we will not have a crawl,” Kennedy says of the iconic floating text that has opened every previous Star Wars movie. “We feel that that is proprietary with the saga films. But how this evolves…? We haven’t fully decided, and [traditional Star Wars elements] may be pretty spare for this first one.”

This strikes me as silly.

Peru

I'm glad there's no crawl as the story films have to feel substantially different. Saga: Classic Star Wars. Stories: Experiments in genre, tone, different perspectives on the universe. No need for grand proclamations about the galaxy in each of them.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Cool. Glad they're eschewing from all this old bullshit for a new movie. Just let it be and perform on its own merits. It doesn't need to hang on the original trilogy to be good. That'd just be bland and boring like 2/3 of those original films.

No opening crawl for Rogue One:

On Michael Giacchino’s music:

Composer Michael Giacchino’s music, for instance, will include slight homages to the iconic original score by John Williams, but most of what we hear will be original.
Michael Giacchino (Doctor Strange, Up), a last-minute addition to the Rogue One team, about his breakneck score that he describes as the galactic version of World War II music.

No opening crawl - bit of a shame but not a 'numbered' release so I'm cool with it

Composer Giacchino - he did LOST's soundtrack which is and will remain for some time the best TV soundtrack ever so he is more than capable.

I'm cool with whatever. It's more Star Wars.

I would have preferred the Boba Fett movie over the Young Han Solo abomination.

Rogue One, Boba Fett and Obi Wan would have been perfect.

Boba Fett has to be one of the most overrated characters in pop-culture.

He got his origins in the Holiday Special, for fucks sake.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Boba Fett has to be one of the most overrated characters in pop-culture.

He got his origins in the Holiday Special, for fucks sake.

I'd probably be marginally excited for a Boba Fett spin-off if George Lucas didn't already completely ruin the character in Episode 2. Not keen on seeing the early adventures of Temuera Morrison Clone 9,332,493.

Bobba got his spotlight in the Robot Chicken specials. Let's move on from the old stuff and create something all around new in the Star Wars universe.

We'll probably get a Sopranos with Jabba on HBO before get something completely original, aren't we?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Boba Fett is one of those characters that is far cooler to look at in short doses than it would be to follow. Not too mention I figure they do some lame redemption story where he rescues one of his clones and tries to show them a better life or some such nonsense.

Boba Fett is one of those characters that is far cooler to look at in short doses than it would be to follow. Not too mention I figure they do some lame redemption story where he rescues one of his clones and tries to show them a better life or some such nonsense.

Sounds quite cool. Although him hunting down the remaining clones would be much cooler.

Am I the only person that wants a Greedo spinoff?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Sounds quite cool. Although him hunting down the remaining clones would be much cooler.

Am I the only person that wants a Greedo spinoff?

His origins have already been covered.

anakin-greedo.jpg

What the hell was George Lucas's obsession with seeing everyone as a six year old?

Peru

Because the crawl is iconic and is featured in almost every bit of expanded universe content, from video games to tv spinoffs. Choosing to omit it for a feature film is noticeably odd.

Video games and spin offs feature Williams classic themes on endless loops as well - it's good that the side-story movies aim to be something different.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Why has a Vader solo film not been considered (assuming it hasn't because I have not seen any rumors for one)?

I think he has so much substance and complexity, one that would be a thrill to explore from his point of view. I'd love to see what he did and thought between ROTS and ANH.

FeD.nL

Hateful Eight-esque with Boba, Dengar, IG-88, Bossk, some new Bounty hunters and a Han Solo in carbonite get stuck on an abandoned mining facility on the way to Jabba.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Why has a Vader solo film not been considered (assuming it hasn't because I have not seen any rumors for one)?

I think he has so much substance and complexity, one that would be a thrill to explore from his point of view. I'd love to see what he did and thought between ROTS and ANH.

Because the entire Star Wars saga literally revolves around him (At least, before Episode 7). It would be like creating a Seinfeld spin-off for the character of Jerry Seinfeld.

Lebron

The crawl should be for the main titles and that's it. For a film like Rogue One, I can see how it would conflict with the tone they're going for -- at the very least separate the main films from the side stories. It's clear Kennedy is big on setting that up now, since they didn't give much of a shit before.

As for Williams be the end all be all for SW films, please. While I enjoy the hell out of "The Planets lite" score, it's nice to hear something different. Just because no one bothered really up until now is besides the point. Michael gonna kill it.

Also, Boba Fett sucks. Glad they dropped that idea.

His origins have already been covered.

anakin-greedo.jpg

What the hell was George Lucas's obsession with seeing everyone as a six year old?

That was just some random Rodian you scruffy looking Nerf-Herder

Edit: wait what..... deleted scene that's actually Greedo?

What the fuck Lucas....

Because the crawl is iconic and is featured in almost every bit of expanded universe content, from video games to tv spinoffs. Choosing to omit it for a feature film is noticeably odd.

None of which are canon. Ewok movies, games, etc have all been tossed out.

The TV series which are considered canon (Clone Wars, Rebels) do not have any crawl.

Berordn

None of which are canon. Ewok movies, games, etc have all been tossed out.

The TV series which are considered canon (Clone Wars, Rebels) do not have any crawl.

I thought the pilot film for Clone Wars had a crawl, but it looks like I'm wrong.

Carry on then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom