• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucid Games (PGR, ex-Bizarre Creations) teasing May announcement

It is very likely something small racing project. Remember AAA project need about 2 years to develop from a new flesh studio. They are only ~5 months old.

Wasn't there an unconfirmed rumour that RARE and possibly Turn 10 were helping out on development?

Thanks to the good work of TheOddOne and Shaneus, we know RARE hired a lot of developers with experience in developing racers...

The Xbox reveal is presumably shaping up...
COD Ghosts
PGR5?
Respawn game?
Rare game?

I think they'll hold back stuff like Alan Wake 2, Lionhead and others for E3.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Rev your engines and temper your expectations: it's iOS racer time.

(Maybe.)

evolution

MS didn't own Bizzarre so they didn't cut anything.

Doesn't matter really. They created PGR and then Microsoft didn't renew their contract. Im sure there making a racing game, but i doubt its another PGR. Ill be surprised and happy if it is though.

Takuya

Banned
Won't be at the Xbox reveal, they would have said so. Since we already know about it, no point in beating around the bush on that. Will be separate.

Won't be at the Xbox reveal, they would have said so. Since we already know about it, no point in beating around the bush on that. Will be separate.

Are you purposefully ignoring the second tweet where he not so discreetly hints at the Xbox event mid May?

Hmm, May 10th to May 20th.

I fully expect a Xbox event reveal. I was really only poking fun at the wording more than anything else.
I really want to dig into this mid-May thing. Presumably May has three chunks: early, mid, and late, and ideally each would be equal in length. May also has 31 days, though, so one chunk will be longer than others. The time frame you proposed would create chunks of the following sizes:

Early (1-9) - 9 days
Mid (10-20) - 11 days
Late (21-31) - 11 days

Obviously this doesn't make any sense. Why have one noticeably shorter chunk? Now, western culture (I am not an expert on other cultures) typically has the largest element of any concept assigned to a middle chunk, with the middle chunk often becoming much larger than other chunks even if an equal split is possible. Thus we can safely assume that Lucid, being a western studio, would also follow this pattern and assign the middle section to be the larger, while simultaneously attempting to make the bordering sections equal. The final outcome of

Takuya

Banned
I really want to dig into this mid-May thing. Presumably May has three chunks: early, mid, and late, and ideally each would be equal in length. May also has 31 days, though, so one chunk will be longer than others. The time frame you proposed would create chunks of the following sizes:

Early (1-9) - 9 days
Mid (10-20) - 11 days
Late (21-31) - 11 days

Obviously this doesn't make any sense. Why have one noticeably shorter chunk? Now, western culture (I am not an expert on other cultures) typically has the largest element of any concept assigned to a middle chunk, with the middle chunk often becoming much larger than other chunks even if an equal split is possible. Thus we can safely assume that Lucid, being a western studio, would also follow this pattern and assign the middle section to be the larger, while simultaneously attempting to make the bordering sections equal. The final outcome of

Or...

31/2 = 15.5

So, around the 15th. Much simpler.

Basil

Banned
Would seem a waste to not do something with the PGR license if these guys are doing a racer for the new Xbox... but then even if it's a new IP racer, not like people aren't still gonna be interested most likely.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I can imagine PGR5 being a XBLA title rather than a full release.

I'd be fine with that as long as it was supported.

iceatcs

Wasn't there an unconfirmed rumour that RARE and possibly Turn 10 were helping out on development?

Thanks to the good work of TheOddOne and Shaneus, we know RARE hired a lot of developers with experience in developing racers...

Fair enough, esp with Rare job list. If it was PGR license, then I can see they allow to use the old title & external studio resource to boost the develop timing to get ready by 2013 (or early 2014 if delay rumour true).

eso76

Mid may is when they're going to announce pgr5 will be unveiled on 21st. Easy. :p

Guys, the 'road opens 2013' can't be mistaken...

derFeef

lol at the arguing what is mid-may. I know I also said 21st is not mid may, but phew, math!
Also why should they not be allowed to tease? IIRC the same happened with Drive Club.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can imagine PGR5 being a XBLA title rather than a full release.

I'd be fine with that as long as it was supported.
I can't imagine this at all. This doesn't make sense since the whole premise of the thing is driving tracks through multiple large, detailed cities.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I can't imagine this at all. This doesn't make sense since the whole premise of the thing is driving tracks through multiple large, detailed cities.

That has nothing to do with being on XBLA though. Besides, Microsoft have to push the next gen marketplace with new games.

I think XBLA might not be as "limited" as it is now on the next box.

PGR tends to be a big showcase game for Microsoft however. PGR 1 was a launch game, PGR 2 was the big showcase game for X-Box Live before Halo 2 made it on the scene, PGR 3 was purely to show the power of the new console and Gotham TV (Which didn't quite pan out), PGR 4 was another XBL showcase with the PGR Nations concept (And a graphical beast as well). It would be a solid choice for a launch game with the massive cities and if the hints we're getting are true, maybe further improvements on the dynamic weather system from PGR 4. It's perfect launch game material and very likely would be a disc game than a digital download as PGR has always been huge in scope with regard to the cities used and the car classes. It's not a game that would fit well on the new XBLA.

There were also hints in the Forza vs GT5 thread of some Forza 5 news at one of the next couple of MS events. I gather PGR5 will go first and FM5 later this year to avoid confusion. MS probably want an arcade response to DriveClub out first.

derFeef

PGR tends to be a big showcase game for Microsoft however. PGR 1 was a launch game, PGR 2 was the big showcase game for X-Box Live before Halo 2 made it on the scene, PGR 3 was purely to show the power of the new console and Gotham TV (Which didn't quite pan out), PGR 4 was another XBL showcase with the PGR Nations concept (And a graphical beast as well). It would be a solid choice for a launch game with the massive cities and if the hints we're getting are true, maybe further improvements on the dynamic weather system from PGR 4. It's perfect launch game material and very likely would be a disc game than a digital download as PGR has always been huge in scope with regard to the cities used and the car classes. It's not a game that would fit well on the new XBLA.

Oh I agree, I was just suggesting that day1 digital releases are what XBLA might become.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That has nothing to do with being on XBLA though. Besides, Microsoft have to push the next gen marketplace with new games.
Well, why wouldn't you have a disc release? XBLA is a portal for smaller games. It could be on GoD or whatever the Durango equivalent is of GoD (if it's not all unified under Windows 8 Store, which I suspect).

And that's a stupid way of pushing DD, as evidenced by what Nintendo is doing recently. Microsoft is smart enough not to alienate a market to push something they already know will be strong and already have multiple other studios working on games for.

Shaneus

They also have a placeholder product page as well: http://www.lucidgames.co.uk/product/sky-light/
I'm pretty sure that placeholder is only used so they could post the picture up on the front page that has the same name, called "sky-light01.jpg" or something. My guess is they've picked the first thing that came to mind (a skylight in their office maybe?), knocked up a quick page and put in the default image name that also happened to be "sky-light".

BTW Check that link Higher Level posted. All the speculation has been mostly kept in there (and prior to that, the PGR appreciation thread). But if you come across any potential news, check best you can if it's mentioned in the thread and if you can't see it, post it! Better to post something twice than potentially miss out completely on more news :)

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
Hey guys.

I just remembered this unannounced game, thinking of Blur some minutes ago.
Do anyone have news on this ? Is this game canceled ?

I just tried to go on their website, it seems actually down.
As said in the posts before, I would love a new fun arcade racing game like Blur on this gen.

sad-polar-bear.jpg

Haunted

Hey guys.

I just remembered this unannounced game, thinking of Blur some minutes ago.
Do anyone have news on this ? Is this game canceled ?

I just tried to go on their website, it seems actually down.
As said in the posts before, I would love a new fun arcade racing game like Blur on this gen.

image.php

I'll never get he point of bumping something to say, "so does anyone know what happened to this?? Anyone have any news??"

Like, if anyone had news don't you think they would have bumped it themselves?

Top Bottom