• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ludum Dare 23 - an unbelievable number of free indie games

Platy

http://indiegames.com/2012/04/ludum_dare_23_yields_over_1100.html

In an impressive showing for its 10-year anniversary, over 1100 "tiny world" themed games were developed for Ludum Dare 23, with more to come from the 72-hour Jam. We'll be picking out lots of great gems over the next few weeks, and I'm already fond of several titles below.

Studio Miniboss (Out There Somehwere) produced Planet 161 a multi-weapon, puzzle-platformer with a "small and claustrophobic level design." Andrew Morrish (Super Puzzle Platformer) created puzzler Scape, where players must watch their steps as they plant trees and later turn terrain fertile.

Matt Thorson pits tiny world versus tiny world in the two-player galactic fighter Ra Ra: Extreme Star Boxing. Finally, I recommend the above-pictured metroidvania Recluse, whose "expanding" mechanic was neat to experience, despite the overuse of white flashes.

Judging will end in 20 days, which just doesn't seem like enough time to play all of the Ludum Dare 23 games. Be sure to email us if you stumble across any particularly awesome titles or suggest some others in the comments below. Once again Happy 10th Birthday, Ludum Dare!

Only game listed that I found an OT for was Out There Somewhere ...but you can play Super Puzzle Platformer and Fat Wizard (a game by Matt Thorson for Adult Swim) on those links since they are browser games.

Previous Ludum Dare posts :
20 ( Results )

-----edit ---------

WINNERS ARE IN !

Top 10 overal :

1-
f2FNh.png

Fracuum - TylerGlaiel

2- Memento XII - deepnight

3- Super Strict Farmer - Benjamin

4- Soul Searchin' - MaximSchoemaker

5- Lonely Hated Rock - Xion

6- This Precious Land - Ishisoft

7- Planet 161 - saint11

8 and 9 tie- Astro Break - hulahulahest and Recluse - chambers

10- Pocket Planet - MoltenMustafa

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
For how much we pride ourselves in playing Indie games its quite a shame that this thread doesnt get more attention.

Going to test a few games and report about a few that seem interesting to me.

First up:

Tiny Civilization
http://danmckinnon.net/tiny_world/tiny_civ_colour/index.html

I really like the idea and style of this game. You start off with 3 men and women and need to take care of cutting wood, buying lodgings, exercising their bodies, giving them rest, etc. to build and explore your small world.

Its a long game since it is rather slow and you need to manage every individual in your civilization. Which is also somewhat my biggest gripe. You can't leave anyone alone. You need to make sure they stop working or they die from exhaustion. That makes it a bit tedious. But I encourage you to at least try it since I really like the idea the creator was going for.

flkk

Neo Member
101 game reviews from LD23 in 15 minutes

I had a lot of fun watching this, and have been slowing working my way through the best looking ones to actually play. (Links to most games are in the video description). Even if you don't play it still gives you a neat overview of all the creativity involved!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
101 game reviews from LD23 in 15 minutes

I had a lot of fun watching this, and have been slowing working my way through the best looking ones to actually play. (Links to most games are in the video description). Even if you don't play it still gives you a neat overview of all the creativity involved!

Thanks for posting! Watching it now :)

Toma

This Precious Land
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=8804

This ones seems to be getting quite a bit of coverage already, so it probably doesnt hurt me chiming in. With simple building blocks that you can set on the grid you build the world by combining two of the same block into a better block. The whole thing doesnt really have a clear set goal, and is more of a sandbox to see your own small world evolving and really has a rather mesmerizing character.

Easy to just lose a few minutes of time to this game, trying to figure out which surprise in building your world is around the next corner. Recommended.

Ranger X

Looks like I am bookmarking this thread. First time I notice it. Are all Ludum games free and available to play like in Gamecon?

Toma

Looks like I am bookmarking this thread. First time I notice it. Are all Ludum games free and available to play like in Gamecon?

Yep. Most are playable from the browser since its advised by the Ludum Dare guys, but there are quite a few with downloadable options if you prefer that.

Toma

Tiny Journey
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=12700

Another adventure with a ridiculously cool art style, considering its made in 48 hours by one guy. The setting is interesting and makes you want to finish the game. The puzzles arent bad either, but I had more problems with the UI than the actual puzzles, especially in the beginning. Still its a neat to see a text parser as input for an adventure game and the setting/atmosphere are very well done. Worth checking out.

Toma

Bottlecolonies
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=4834

Its a puzzle game with a scribble artstyle. You got exactly the amount of buildings to fill the board, and by adhering to the games rules you need to maximize your points in each level. Its a neat concept, especially if you consider the Highscore potential of those levels. Every time you place a building next to one of the same color, you'll get +1, and every time you place one next to a building of a different color -4. By considering those rules you need to maximize the points you can get from these levels. Cute.

Tiktaalik

For how much we pride ourselves in playing Indie games its quite a shame that this thread doesnt get more attention.

Going to test a few games and report about a few that seem interesting to me.

First up:

Tiny Civilization

http://danmckinnon.net/tiny_world/tiny_civ_colour/index.html

I really like the idea and style of this game. You start off with 3 men and women and need to take care of cutting wood, buying lodgings, exercising their bodies, giving them rest, etc. to build and explore your small world.

Its a long game since it is rather slow and you need to manage every individual in your civilization. Which is also somewhat my biggest gripe. You can't leave anyone alone. You need to make sure they stop working or they die from exhaustion. That makes it a bit tedious. But I encourage you to at least try it since I really like the idea the creator was going for.

Do I have to run this in a certain browser? Just a black screen...

Toma

Toma

Do I have to run this in a certain browser? Just a black screen...

Works on FF for me. Tried the link, and immediately shows me the start screen.

Toma

Anyone else lucky with finding another interesting one? Bad luck with my last few dozen.

Toma

Mirror Rays
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=5729

Its been a while since a puzzle platformer genuinely surprised me. Won't spoil you the mechanics for this game, finding out what it does was a cool "aha"-moment. Very clean and nice art style and good puzzle mechanics. First puzzle platformer I can think of since quite a while that I want more of after finishing it. Unfortunately no sounds, but def. worth checking out.

Edit: Finding the solution to the "dont press D"-level almost melted my brain. Haha. Awesome little game. Probably the best I've found so far, although waaaay too short. I want more!

Toma

Muniverse
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=12236

Ambitious game. Basically a space trading sim where you collect minerals and stuff from the planets (every dot in the screenshot is a planet) and will change to an asteroid kind of control scheme for your spaceship when actually collecting minerals/fighting enemies. Its not that polished yet, but I can easily see this becoming a fun, little game. The dev said he'll work on it post Ludum Dare.

Toma

Blizzard

Banned
I started making a little ecology simulator thing, but I didn't spend enough time on it and didn't finish. There are some sweet ones though. I think I heard there was a good one about a snail?

Platy

I started making a little ecology simulator thing, but I didn't spend enough time on it and didn't finish. There are some sweet ones though. I think I heard there was a good one about a snail?

It is called Recluse and it is in the OP.

It has some cool "Mind blown" mechanics

Toma

It is called Recluse and it is in the OP.

It has some cool "Mind blown" mechanics

Ah yeah right. I was so caught up over which games to try that I didnt try the ones in the OP yet. Oh well. Since I started going through all of them, I might as well continue going from 1st to 1402nd :p

Edit: done with page 5 of 59... Oh boy.

Platy

Toma

Found 11 interesting games in the first 5 pages, and only 1 interesting game on page 6-10. Kinda demotivating.

:(

Toma

DSix

Banned
Oh, I didn't know we were also following Ludum Dare.
I would've pimped my previous games which were way much better than this one (if this sort of thing is tolerated (is it?)).

LD is a great way to interpret the themes in the least straightforward way possible, and to make video games that can hardly be qualified as such. My game making endeavors are usually way more mainstream, and that's why I enjoy LD so much.

Hopeless
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=5454

For sake of completeness I'm gonna also post link to my previous entries, which are part of the same series and "universe".
Faceless: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-21/?action=preview&uid=5454
Lifeless: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=preview&uid=5454

Toma

Oh, I didn't know we were also following Ludum Dare.

Why wouldnt we? :)

Those are games, so they deserve some attention ;)

Hopeless is more an experience kinda thing. Great style. And l liked the communication with the other "isles". Neat touch.

Gileadxv

Banned
Omg, this one is a BRILLIANT idea for theme. Haha.

Its a tab

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=7465

Gets my vote for cleverest use of the theme so far. Don't want to spoil it, just click it and use the web version.

This one cracked me up. It took me a while to "get it".

Microscopia

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=12119

Interesting puzzle game with the twist that it relies more on perception than on thinking. Really clever idea and use of its mechanics. Not too long either if you arent stuck on how to find yourself.

This was pretty interesting as well. It starts off pretty simple, but then starts introducing new ways to really trip you up.

Acosta

Subscribed, thanks, I always wanted to get into a Ludum Dare and I think I will be able to put some solid hours this weekend. It helps that I really like the theme.

It's the thread title. I have seen this thread go by a few times and finally thought to myself, "okay, i'm just gonna click and see what the hell this is." Surprise, it really is an awesome thread with tons of cool stuff inside. Just get a mod to add some kind of detail about what on earth "Ludum Dare 23" is to the title, and I bet it'll get lots more views.

Toma

It's the thread title. I have seen this thread go by a few times and finally thought to myself, "okay, i'm just gonna click and see what the hell this is." Surprise, it really is an awesome thread with tons of cool stuff inside. Just get a mod to add some kind of detail about what on earth "Ludum Dare 23" is to the title, and I bet it'll get lots more views.

Yeah, sort of the reason why I keep bumping it with Quadruple Posts about games. I was hoping to lure some people in here. Wrote the OP a pm, maybe he'll ask for a title change.

Haunted

Good man, Toma.

I've checked out a couple Ludum Dare 23 games (Memento was my favourite but I see you already covered that one), but honestly, there are just too many (and too many shitty ones) to commit more time. I need the recommendations from RPS and other places.

You're one of those places now. :p Good job keeping at it.

Toma

Good man, Toma.

I've checked out a couple Ludum Dare 23 games (Memento was my favourite but I see you already covered that one), but honestly, there are just too many (and too many shitty ones) to commit more time. I need the recommendations from RPS and other places.

You're one of those places now. :p Good job keeping at it.

Fighting the good fight! Out of the 59 pages listed, I finished looking through 13 or 14. Since there are about 9 days left, I decided that I want to go through 5 pages of games each day at least to be finished before the voting ends. If we gather some interest in this thread, maybe even doing a small Gaf voting or something.

Toma

Toma

New Thread title bump.

Toma

Toma

Top Bottom