• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 3 |OT|: I'm Here For The Boos!

ultrazilla

Complete noob here. How do I get away from the King Boo at the very beginning? Just run away going left? I stop to shine him but it's not working
and I become a painting. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
man people aren't lying. the presentation here is killer. art design is so lush and cartoonish in a good way. the music is suitably trippy. the jump scares a silly and very Abbott & Costello Meet Dracula. Visually it is stunning and I like how they framed it to look like a scene out of a Marx Brothers movie. But done by Pixar, ofc! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Picked this up today, impressions sound really great! Considering this really wasn't on my hype radar, it might just surprise me in many ways it seems like

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Complete noob here. How do I get away from the King Boo at the very beginning? Just run away going left? I stop to shine him but it's not working
and I become a painting. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Run to the left and at its end there is a small door that people usually throw their garbage, you use that to escape.

Last edited:

kingbean

First time playing a Luigi's Manson game. It's quite good so far.

Looks great, the TAA they're using really cleans up the jaggies but does cause a little ghosting.

But I guess ghosting can be forgiven in a title all about ghosts.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The mouse and the elevator button. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This game is something you can point to when explaining your Nintendo fandom to someone who might not it, and have them instantly get it. It’s just a pure joy in every way imaginable.

I did have a beef with the combat, but that’s settling down a bit, as I understand the nuances of the system.

Virex

Banned
Anyone else agree that this is one of the best looking Switch games. Image quality is super clean and sharp docked and undocked. It looks so damn good. I was blown away when you first control Luigi in the hotel lobby. Lighting looks amazing. The game looks so damn nice!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Anyone else agree that this is one of the best looking Switch games. Image quality is super clean and sharp docked and undocked. It looks so damn good. I was blown away when you first control Luigi in the hotel lobby. Lighting looks amazing. The game looks so damn nice!

I literally hunted down this thread to say this. Idk what they did with the animation but it looks so neat in motion.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Luigi’s Mansion was one of my favorite (if not favorite) games on GCN and LM2 was awesome, even though I never beat it.

I always wanted the series on Wii with the Wiimote and Nunchuck, but that never materialized.

After playing this game for only a couple of hours, I’m in love! Luckily, I still have a ton of game to go!

And the graphics? Wow. Granted, I have an mClassic to upscale my Switch and add anti-aliasing, but it may be the best looking title on the system.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Magic little game. About 4 hours in now, on the garden floor.

Insane level of polish and, as Nintendo often manages, it *feels* fun to play.

nick_b

Damn floor 8 was tricky. Had to look up the solution.

Even though I knew you could carry shit through the TV because I tried it with the ice block.

Is it just me, or are gold coins pretty much useless? I thought there would be upgrades but there are none. Like increasing gooluigi's health.

bender

What time is it?
Is it just me, or are gold coins pretty much useless? I thought there would be upgrades but there are none. Like increasing gooluigi's health.

I think they'll come in handy if you are a completionist (Boo and Gem Cartridges), but I'm a tad disappointed myself. I just got to floor nine and I'm at 25K coins and have 3 Golden Bones.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So maybe I'm dumb but I didn't know the flashlight and plunger were also mapped to the bumpers.

That was my biggest complaint but now I'm much happier lol.

JimiNutz

Banned
So maybe I'm dumb but I didn't know the flashlight and plunger were also mapped to the bumpers.

That was my biggest complaint but now I'm much happier lol.

If you press L & R at the same time it activates the dark light as well so you never have to touch the face buttons.

Edit: Whoops Neff Neff already explaojed.

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I am so glad I picked this up (I wasn't going to). This is the BEST Luigi's Mansion.

Just completed this last night. I loved it. The only major flaws I’d point out are, the controls (even using bumpers only). They were so fiddly in a pinch. A couple of the bosses where annoying due to fumbling with the controls. The other thing that I didn’t like was the ghost cat. Padding for padding’s sake.

the variety of the rooms were amazing and kept me wanting to see more.Got a rank of B when I completed it and looking forward to going back in to get the remaining gems and boo’s.

Nydius

I gave up on the gems after Tomb Suites. I had been collecting them floor-by-floor up until that point but gathering them has become tedious -- and a touch predictable as they begin to recycle hiding patterns after a while. The gems begin to feel like padding for the sake of padding. The fun of finding them has evaporated so I broke down and looked up the reward and was equally disappointed. I doubt I'll go back and finish gathering them. I probably wouldn't have minded if it was only 3 or 4 per level rather than 6.

Overall, I'd say story mode was great and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I have no motivation or desire to run through it again. I haven't touched multiplayer yet but unless it's absolutely fantastic I doubt I'll be playing it much long term. I'm kinda wishing I had just gotten a 3-day Redbox rental for this one but, on the other hand, the devs deserve the money for the craft they put into the game.

The only major flaws I’d point out are, the controls (even using bumpers only). They were so fiddly in a pinch. A couple of the bosses where annoying due to fumbling with the controls.

The controls were the only reason I ever died in the game. They're fine most of the time but in hectic situations with lots of ghosts or fast moving haunts (like the trash cans) or bosses, the sluggish turning and aiming imprecision become apparent.

Last edited:
I loved the Boilerworks level, wasn't even there for too long and the gimmick was fairly straight forward! Don't think I've come across a weak floor yet, and I'm 2 floors away from the end too!

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is the only switch game I've come across so far in my collection that looks drastically better docked. Makes me wonder what other devs are doing 😂

mcjmetroid

So I have a few reservations about this game before I get it.

It looks fun but would you say the combat is too repetitive?
How long would you say the game is?
Is the 2 player coop mode fun?

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is the only switch game I've come across so far in my collection that looks drastically better docked. Makes me wonder what other devs are doing 😂

I think handheld takes a hit for that visual ambition though. We'll have to wait for the DF analysis, but I'm pretty sure we're looking at sub-720p in portable, although not by much.

I'm not the biggest fan of doing that, as I generally prefer handheld, but I suppose it does make sense to make the console experience as beautiful as possible as well (Some Year 1 games didn't look as good docked) , and the game still looks absolutely great portable.

It's interesting to see how different developers tackle it. Some prioritize handheld, some prioritize docked (Xenoblade 2 being an extreme), and some try to get a very similar presentation across in both modes.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think handheld takes a hit for that visual ambition though. We'll have to wait for the DF analysis, but I'm pretty sure we're looking at sub-720p in portable, although not by much.

I'm not the biggest fan of doing that, as I generally prefer handheld, but I suppose it does make sense to make the console experience as beautiful as possible as well (Some Year 1 games didn't look as good docked) , and the game still looks absolutely great portable.

It's interesting to see how different developers tackle it. Some prioritize handheld, some prioritize docked (Xenoblade 2 being an extreme), and some try to get a very similar presentation across in both modes.

I have to assume optimization for both takes time away from dev time so it would make sense they focus on one.

Unusually I play handheld as well but this game has been pro controller on the OLED 90 percent of the time.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Can't say how long it is, but if you're the type to explore, it definitely looks like it has meat on its bones. Every single room is a blast to explore, with plenty of hidden stuff, and puzzles (often optional) to solve.

Combat can be. It's not my favorite aspect of this game. That said, finding, exposing, and getting enemies to drop their guard is tied in with some truly enjoyable, masterful gameplay and headscratchers. Even if the ghost vacuuming part is a little simplistic, getting them to that part is joyful.

I haven't played co-op, but I hear good things. Just keep in mind that it's apparently about a half an hour before you get the 'Gooigi' ability that unlocks co-op. Just so you don't have a friend sitting around awkwardly. 😋

Last edited:

Freeman76

Anyone here usually play invert? I have never been able to play with normal controls, and I read this has no invert Y option, just wondering if any 'goofy' players like me have been able to modify their playstyle, as this looks like something I would LOVE but I dont want to be wrestling with controls the whole time.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

The combat is definitely not deep by any means. But there's enough puzzles in-between I don't find it boring.

I'm at about 8 hours and I think I'm over the half way point but I'm exploring everything and trying to get all the gems and boos. If you mainline it, it's probably 8 hours. With everything in gonna guess 12-15.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Anyone here usually play invert? I have never been able to play with normal controls, and I read this has no invert Y option, just wondering if any 'goofy' players like me have been able to modify their playstyle, as this looks like something I would LOVE but I dont want to be wrestling with controls the whole time.

Former invert player here, but that might not be of as much use.

I seem to use the gyro exclusively for looking up and down, a habit I picked up from Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS without the second analog stick, and I will say that feels really, really good and natural. I pretty much don't touch the stick for up and down stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom