• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 3 |OT|: I'm Here For The Boos!

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I loved the Boilerworks level, wasn't even there for too long and the gimmick was fairly straight forward! Don't think I've come across a weak floor yet, and I'm 2 floors away from the end too!

Really? I hated it. The
duck part
even made me question my homemade "4/5" review score for this game because of the controls.

Another thing I don't like about this game is the, what I feel like, constant use of "you're not done when you think you are". It's really tiring and I despise that kind of design. Takes the fun and the feeling of advancement out of it. The
Polterkitty part
is a prime example of this, and it went on forever. That said, I love the game in general. All the details, the regular ghost hunting and the co-op possibilities... All in all it's a fun but bumpy ride for me. My son is loving it though, and his happiness from playing through this together more than enough makes up for its shortcomings. And it's insanely satisfying sucking up all the money and gold you find.

jaysius

Banned

"A playable CG game" thats too much hyperbole for me. I've lost complete faith in DF with their level of bias towards Nintendo and giving them a free ride.
After watching videos from direct capture, even their own video, the game looks good, but CG Movie good? NOPE!

It's good that the game runs fine docked and undocked though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
"A playable CG game" thats too much hyperbole for me. I've lost complete faith in DF with their level of bias towards Nintendo and giving them a free ride.
After watching videos from direct capture, even their own video, the game looks good, but CG Movie good? NOPE!

I would say in terms of animation and character expression its absolutely is.

Nydius

So I have a few reservations about this game before I get it.

It looks fun but would you say the combat is too repetitive?
How long would you say the game is?
Is the 2 player coop mode fun?

1: The combat is very repetitive. Every fight boils down to stun ghost, suck up ghost, slam ghost, repeat until finished. This is true of minion mobs, rares, boos, and bosses. I know people will probably say I'm oversimplifying but I'm really not. Every encounter is a variation of having to either discover how to stun them (because they're wearing something that deflects your strobe) or waiting for them to expose their vulnerable spot so they can be stunned.

The repetition of the combat is offset by the platforming and puzzle solving elements. Since each floor is different, there's a wide variety of puzzles to solve. That said, there are some floors which are woefully short. Looking at you, Unnatural History Museum, Spectral Catch, and The Dance Hall.

2. I completed the game in 19 hours 32 minutes according to my file select screen. That was with all the boos and 68 of 102 gems. I could probably push another 2-3 hours if I wanted to go back and get the rest of the gems but, frankly, gathering the gems lost its appeal.

3. Only played a few levels in coop before my wife decided she didn't want to play anymore. It was OK but it made the combat and encounters inexplicably easier. Largely because Gooigi is available all the time when the game was clearly designed to have Gooigi come and go when needed.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Acording to DF it runs at 1080p which explains why it looks so clean on the 4K OLED. LG does a pretty good job of up scaling 1080P.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I would say in terms of animation and character expression its absolutely is.
yes in the DF video that is exactly what they are talking about. animation quality and character design as well as dynamic lighting. i fully agree with him on these points.

wow they got a "free ride" on someone praising their animation work, and all they had to do was CG movie level animation.

"total free ride, dudes. BIAS! BIAS! he is not an unfeeling robot!"

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Have to disagree. The animations of Luigi are stunning.

Really? I hated it. The
duck part
even made me question my homemade "4/5" review score for this game because of the controls.

I had no problem whatsoever with that part myself, I just took my time with vaccuum usage and accounted for slight drift when letting go of the vaccuum, navigating, and avoiding danger wasn't that bad for me either, got hit during the tunnel section once. I only got hit once during the boss fight of that floor as well. Maybe I've just got some weird brain shit going on that can process the controls and the handling of that part easier.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

Everyone seems to leave with that live CG movie impression.

I really think that’s the future* of a lot of Nintendo games, moving into that kind of high-fidelity incredible animation and charm. I’m totally for it. We have fantastic technology everywhere, and using it to create amazing fantasy worlds is at the top of my list of wants.

Not that I don’t love realism, but we get it every single game.

*Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 are pretty close too.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I’m so impressed by this game. The animation is obviously superb but the sense of spooky fun and sillyness that pervades the game makes it feel truly special. The game has a really strong and unique identity and Luigi has a ton of personality. If I had a single complaint, it’s that the controls take a bit of getting used to, but it’s minor and doesn’t hurt the game for me after some minor adjustment.

I’m only a few hours in but If the game stays this good it’ll be one of my favorites of the year.

Last edited:

Gaming247

Neo Member
Really? I hated it. The
duck part

Another thing I don't like about this game is the, what I feel like, constant use of "you're not done when you think you are". It's really tiring and I despise that kind of design. Takes the fun and the feeling of advancement out of it. The
Polterkitty part
is a prime example of this, and it went on forever. That said, I love the game in general. All the details, the regular ghost hunting and the co-op possibilities... All in all it's a fun but bumpy ride for me. My son is loving it though, and his happiness from playing through this together more than enough makes up for its shortcomings. And it's insanely satisfying sucking up all the money and gold you find.
This game can be really rage inducing at times.

JimiNutz

Banned
The animations and cutscenes in this game actually make me really excited for the upcoming animated Mario movie. There's so much charm to this game and it really nails that 'feel good' factor. Despite the hardware limitations this is def one of the best looking games of the year.

Gaming247

Neo Member
The animations and cutscenes in this game actually make me really excited for the upcoming animated Mario movie. There's so much charm to this game and it really nails that 'feel good' factor. Despite the hardware limitations this is def one of the best looking games of the year.
Everything Nintendo does turns to gold.

quickwhips

Finally got to play the game now that my son is no longer grounded and im back from Ignite. Game is a blast and we are having fun with it. Its weird trying to aim and move though. Takes some getting use to.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Isn't Next Level Games a first party developers for Nintendo?

Defined as being part of Nintendo itself, no, I believe it’s a separate entity. However, they do work exclusively with them.

That said, I’m pretty sure Nintendo and NLG just appreciate that we love the game, regardless of who gets the credit.

quickwhips

So we just cleared level 6 tonight and put the key in for level 7. Then told my son time for him to go to bed. He is doing a great job of solving puzzles. He didn’t want to do any combat at first but is starting to get good at beating the ghost but i usually take on the bosses and he runs around the map while i do that. Game is amazing. He hasn’t mentioned marvel Ultimate alliance 3 since we started which is one of his favorite.

I think I would love this game if I could invert the controls on the right stick. As is, it's very frustrating. Always read reviews and forum posts before buying a game, even from a company it seems as if you can trust like Nintendo.

Danjin44

I think I would love this game if I could invert the controls on the right stick. As is, it's very frustrating. Always read reviews and forum posts before buying a game, even from a company it seems as if you can trust like Nintendo.
I got used to that within first hour, I also used right and left bumper for flash light other abilities.

Last edited:

LMJ

Anybody know if there is a way to stop E. Gad from constantly bugging you lol

I'm trying to explore this beautiful game and he's constantly spamming me with the same instructions

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Defined as being part of Nintendo itself, no, I believe it’s a separate entity. However, they do work exclusively with them.

That said, I’m pretty sure Nintendo and NLG just appreciate that we love the game, regardless of who gets the credit.
I encourage EVERYONE to read this wonderful interview.

Next Level Games is second party studio. It's not 100% "developed by Nintendo," but Next Level Games was a mediocre studio on their own, and then paired with Nintendo, they have dramatically increased the quality of their games. They mutually share credit and appreciation for each other, and talk about it in detail. Nintendo has surely provided better funding, but also significant detailed advice and design ideas on all aspects of the game along the way.

I hope Nintendo buys NLG. Their output has been better than Rare over the last several years. Such a promising studio, and this game really is by far their best.

tkscz

He means in terms of art style and animation, not technical fidelity.

Didn't know that the game hit 1080p mostly while docked though.

You know Nintendo is off my radar when I didn't even know there was a 3rd game. I do remember the DS game, I guess that was the second.

I didn't even know people were asking for these games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You know Nintendo is off my radar when I didn't even know there was a 3rd game. I do remember the DS game, I guess that was the second.

I didn't even know people were asking for these games.
It was pretty much their main E3 game. Had a whole haunted house themed area for people to try the game in.

It hasn't gotten a ton of publicity other than that, but it honestly is one of the best looking games on Switch.

Last edited:
Anybody know if there is a way to stop E. Gad from constantly bugging you lol

I'm trying to explore this beautiful game and he's constantly spamming me with the same instructions

Yes, you can turn it off in the options menu. Forgot where it is but go have a look, you can't miss it.

Caffeine

this is like the most detailed OT i've ever seen on gaf since 2013. those are some crisp cutouts that work well with dark theme.

Last edited:

LMJ

So far this is everything I ever wanted in a LM sequel and more, I haven't laughed or smiled so much in a long time :D

Game was so charming even my wife is enjoying it and actually played with me lol. (She hates games, gaming)

Kudos to you Nintendo, not even Odessy could do that lol

Weilthain

Banned
Great game. Really enjoying this so far, still early on just after meeting gooigi.

love the atmosphere and exploration, the humor is there, combat gameplay is fun enough. And coop! About as good as you would hope for from a luigis mansion on switch.

JCK75

I finally beat it last night, and I enjoyed every second of it.. love how while you only have a handful of abilities it finds new ways to use them, sometimes it took me way to long to figure out it so thank goodness for the golden dog bones (well I had only purchased one but going into the second to last boss fight I just bought all that I could and I needed a few).

Overall it's one of my favorite games this gen and they really took the formula which I would previously have called B+ to something I consider AAA. Now I have to get my 7 year old to wrap his head around the mechanics so we can do some coop.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Returning to this after giving Death Stranding it’s due beginning.

I was going to talk about how the vacuum is the most fun it’s ever been — a physics wonderland, with awesome accompanying puzzles.

But I have a new love, hahaha.

I don’t want to spoil, but I just want to say that there’s a certain temporary attachment for the vacuum that might be the single most fun gameplay mechanic of the year.
The saw is so good. Could destroying everything and ripping through plant limbs possibly feel any better? The physical resistance, realistic destruction, everything about how they did it, just feels fantastic. I even brought down a secret treasure chest by sawing down all the pillars of a bed, which was such a fun example of incredible Nintendo design meeting modern tech.

Danjin44

Returning to this after giving Death Stranding it’s due beginning.

I was going to talk about how the vacuum is the most fun it’s ever been — a physics wonderland, with awesome accompanying puzzles.

But I have a new love, hahaha.

I don’t want to spoil, but I just want to say that there’s a certain temporary attachment for the vacuum that might be the single most fun gameplay mechanic of the year.
The saw is so good. Could destroying everything and ripping through plant limbs possibly feel any better? The physical resistance, realistic destruction, everything about how they did it, just feels fantastic. I even brought down a secret treasure chest by sawing down all the pillars of a bed, which was such a fun example of incredible Nintendo design meeting modern tech.
Yeah I loved that part as well and pleasantly surprised how much destruction you cause with the saw.

Weilthain

Banned
Really enjoying this game but I bought it for coop with my son and he just wants to play fortnite all the time 🤷‍♂️ going to be a while until I get to play it all

love how Luigi has a virtual boy such a nice little touch

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I love the sand mechanics and visuals. Just absolutely stunning to reshape a level right in front of you, and of course NLG made a hardware defying visual spectacle out of it.

There’s so many beatific ideas and puzzles in this game, but it’s really something how they gave the oldest mechanics, the vacuum and physics, a whole new lease on life with the new tech. ( :

Xeaker

I liked the game but actually had to quit it now because of Polterkitty . I just have no tolerance for this kind of things anymore. Why would they do this garbage and make the game longer?!
Ruining a good game.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I really liked my time with LM3. Top-notch graphics and music, excellent creativity on every floor. A "just 5 more minutes" game through and through, even if a bit repetitive (which game isn't?).

I did have to fight with the controls a bit, and the perspective especially made pointing the torch and the Poltergust needlessly cumbersome at times. And yeah, the rubber duck and the Polterkitty part were BS. I swear there's no Nintendo game without a stupidly redundant section like Polterkitty these days. I could stand doing the damn thing twice, but the kitty always going down one floor after a couple rounds was really a stupid timewaster.

That said, I wish more games were this creative. LM3 is the best in the series for me overall, even if I really liked LM2 and was never a fan of LM1. I think that all three games tend to lose quite a bit of steam in their later sections though, LM1 being especially bad in this regard.

Virex

Banned
I really liked my time with LM3. Top-notch graphics and music, excellent creativity on every floor. A "just 5 more minutes" game through and through, even if a bit repetitive (which game isn't?).

I did have to fight with the controls a bit, and the perspective especially made pointing the torch and the Poltergust needlessly cumbersome at times. And yeah, the rubber duck and the Polterkitty part were BS. I swear there's no Nintendo game without a stupidly redundant section like Polterkitty these days. I could stand doing the damn thing twice, but the kitty always going down one floor after a couple rounds was really a stupid timewaster.

That said, I wish more games were this creative. LM3 is the best in the series for me overall, even if I really liked LM2 and was never a fan of LM1. I think that all three games tend to lose quite a bit of steam in their later sections though, LM1 being especially bad in this regard.
The image quality is the first thing that got me. Especially at the start in the hotel lobby. The whole game looks sharp and clean

Top Bottom