• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luminous Engine Technical Director Yoshihisa Hashimoto Leaves Square Enix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The technical director for the eye popping Luminous Engine has left Square Enix to pursue other goals with another company, no further details have been given aside that he has already left the company. This news comes from a friend of Hashimoto’s, that made a post on his facebook wall. The Luminous Engine was supposedly the newest graphic engine developed by Square Enix and fans had a first glance at E3 2012 when Square Enix revealed Agni’s Philosophy, a tech demo running with the engine.

BtGXqQQCMAAWiCB.jpg-large-753x440.jpg

http://www.enixorigin.com/luminous-engine-technical-director-yoshihisa-hashimoto-leaves-square-enix/

duckroll

Holy crap. He was a pretty big hire when they announced it, having spearheaded the tech at Sonic Team for Sonic the Hedgehog. Now he leaves before a single title is ever released from Square Enix using the tech he was put in charge of? Amazing. It really highlights what a clusterfuck the management at S-E Japan has been.

Philippo

Two years and we still haven't seen a single game using it lol
Anyway, i hope the engine is completed and can be used without his supervision (it better be!).

Musiol

So, who will be next? I think that people will miss Wada after more moves like this (and after tons of mobile games announced). My fear is that all talents from SE will leave them. Even immortal Nomura.

NotLiquid

Well this is a huge bummer. This is the guy to thank for kicking off not only the Sonic Unleashed game play formula but the great graphical engine to go along with it. I was hoping that talent would reflect greatly on Square Enix but now it doesn't even seem like that's going to happen.

Holy crap. He was a pretty big hire when they announced it, having spearheaded the tech at Sonic Team for Sonic the Hedgehog. Now he leaves before a single title is ever released from Square Enix using the tech he was put in charge of? Amazing. It really highlights what a clusterfuck the management at S-E Japan has been.

Oh shit, this is the same guy that worked on the Hedgehog Engine? That thing put out some amazing graphics; the daytime stages in Sonic Unleashed looked ridiculous, and Generations was no slouch either.

Will be interesting to see what happens next at Square.

Wow. Huge news .

This is only the tip of the iceberg, I fear.

The gods have spoken, it has been foretold.

TheTux

So, who will be next? I think that people will miss Wada after more moves like this (and after tons of mobile games announced). My fear is that all talents from SE will leave them. Even immortal Nomura.

Nah I doubt that to be honest. He loves Kingdom Hearts too much to leave the company.

Philippo

Well at this point i can only hope for Nomura and all the other incredibly talented developers to leave SE and find a company, or even found a new one. At this point is only wasted talent.

And iirc this engine was supposed to refresh and modernize SE's console output lol.

KHlover

Banned
Uh oh...let's just hope this means that the engine is completed and the remaining staff knows it well enough to handle any problems that might occur.

bahahahaha not gonna happen, actually: Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming to you on UE4....in 2020

duckroll

Oh shit, this is the same guy that worked on the Hedgehog Engine? That thing put out some amazing graphics; the daytime stages in Sonic Unleashed looked ridiculous, and Generations was no slouch either.

Will be interesting to see what happens next at Square.

Yes. He's a programmer from Sonic Team who originally worked on all the Chao simulation stuff for the Sonic Adventure games, then he led the technical team that built the Hedgehog Engine, and he directed Sonic Unleashed. He's definitely talented, and seemed to have the right ideas about what Luminous needed. The Luminous team at S-E also seemed pretty diverse, with team members from outside of Japan too.

Too bad nothing came out of it. :(

Guymelef

Remember:
http://gearnuke.com/square-enix-kill-luminous-engine/
An Italian developer known to have worked on the development of a graphics engine during the Final Fantasy VIII era has made a rather interesting remark on the status of Square Enix’s Luminous graphics engine at the Indievault forums. He referred to Luminous as “R.I.P”, implying that the graphics engine has been abandoned, possibly in favor of a licensed engine such as Unreal Engine 4.

random25

Oh...is he the one working on FFXV and KHIII's graphics engine?

Damn, SE is going the Capcom route now...losing some great talent.

TheTux

Shit, I was hoping that SE would make a comeback this gen. :(
I'm still hoping that but so far I've only seen people leaving the company.

Only a FF7 remake can save them now.

Long have I believed they wouldn't remake it unless they're on their last legs. Looks like they're heading there now.
Nah I disagree, they just need to release godly-tier games. FF7 remake is a hard task imo and I think there were also tons of threads about this.

Well at this point i can only hope for Nomura and all the other incredibly talented developers to leave SE and find a company, or even found a new one. At this point is only wasted talent.

And iirc this engine was supposed to refresh and modernize SE's console output lol.
Oh come on Square Enix is not that bad and we don't know why so many people left the company recently. Naoki Yoshida for example did an amazing job at Squeenix.

Nibel

What? It feels like they just announced the engine yesterday.

This is pretty bad news for SE and I really would love to know what is going on behind the scenes.

TheTux

They haven't used their Luminous Engine since the Agni demo.
Him leaving is huge.

I think you are thinking of Crystal Tools here.

But, man, what's going on with Square? Seriously.

I believe they have a giant problem implementing things. They may have amazing ideas but it's pretty useless if you can't bring them into a game.

They surely have amazing people still working there but come on everyone knows they basically spent an entire generation releasing FFXIII sequels (I loved XIII BTW) while they were working on their "huge" and "amazing" engine.

I really hope they'll fix their things and make a comeback soon. Unfortunately we already know FFXV and KH3 won't be released anytime soon and Type 0 looks like a rushed announcement just to please few fans who wanted to see FFXV at E3.

Edit:
Why can't they use the engine work of their western studios? Crystal Dynamics has their own engine right?
I think someone said in the past that it's kind of hard for Japanese Developers to use western engines. They're probably made for different kind of games and maybe they also lack japanese documentation (yeah I know japanese know english too).

I may be wrong though.

kasane

I think you are thinking of Crystal Tools here.

But, man, what's going on with Square? Seriously.

FFXIII used the Crystal Tools Engine not the Luminus Engine.

edit:beaten...
Yes but i thought the predicament was

Crystal tools was being made » used in ff 13 » crystal tools was a giant turd because of poor management » then they moved people from crystal tools to luminous

Memory is fuzzy anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom