• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M.A.M.E. Goes Open Source

Knuf

Huh. I thought it always was.

Yes, it always was. They've "only" changed the license under which the source code is distributed, i.e. now using a more open license that allows commercial use of the sources.

EDIT: Beaten.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
MAME Room?

What good is commercially licensing MAME if no one can make a business model of licensing old games? Surely the emulation software was not the bulk of the cost...

androvsky

MAME Room?

What good is commercially licensing MAME if no one can make a business model of licensing old games? Surely the emulation software was not the bulk of the cost...

Publishers that want to sell their old games now don't have to hire Backbone or M2, with Backbone having shut down recently? I'm guessing, anyway.

STG

What good is commercially licensing MAME if no one can make a business model of licensing old games?
for example:

MAME engineer Miodrag Milanovic says that license was put in place to deter "misuse of MAME in illegal ways," but it also kept museums that charged entry fees from using MAME in their exhibits or legal license owners from using MAME to rerelease old games
which now should be possible

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/2435...urce_to_be_a_learning_tool_for_developers.php

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Publishers that want to sell their old games now don't have to hire Backbone or M2, with Backbone having shut down recently? I'm guessing, anyway.

Makes sense.

Does it also seem like MAME variants with nicer UI's and feature sets like MacMAME could charge something for their efforts, and thus stop disappearing?

wazoo

It created a lot of talk in the community because all variants of MAME+UI have to follow the same rules.

Some already said they quit.

entremet

I need MacMame for fooling around on my laptop without need to boot into Windows.

I like MAME for abandonware titles that will be released in any other format.

When I was four or five my uncle came to visit and he had MAME on his laptop and I thought it was it's own game, not understanding exactly what it was. Me and my sister used to "write books" when we were kids and we wrote what was essentially a 14 page summary of the first Harry Potter book with all of the names changed to people we knew and set in modern day. My uncle with MAME on his laptop featured in it.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
It created a lot of talk in the community because all variants of MAME+UI have to follow the same rules.

Some already said they quit.

aheh, is this why core MAME has a MAMEUI-ish interface now?

wazoo

aheh, is this why core MAME has a MAMEUI-ish interface now?

MAME has a very rough UI now (it had barely none before).

As a fact, Mamedv do not like very much the forks with UI that are available elsewhere for various ego of persons and development political reasons. One of these reasons is that those UI allow very simple monetary exploitation of mame through mamecab, which is not acceptable.

Krejlooc

Banned

To give an example of this without using mame, remember the "HD ports" of Daytona USA? Those were actually licensed versions of Nebula, the model 2 emulator.

Piccoro

Who do i give money so that double dragon 2 arcade can be put in ps4? Or better yet a technos collection.

Not only there's lots of Technos Japan games in Arcade Archives PS4, but there will be lots of Taito games. Can't wait for one of my favorite games of all time: Ninja Warriors! :)

And dragonzdogma, here's the official website with all the released games so far: http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamster/arcadearchives/

Lazaro

To give an example of this without using mame, remember the "HD ports" of Daytona USA? Those were actually licensed versions of Nebula, the model 2 emulator.

WOW, never knew that.

Hopefully we get a actual HD port of Scud Race or Dyatona 2 some day built on SuperModel or something.

Wholly wu mg o whhhhhhhhhat yeeereeeeeessssss surreal, no freak ing way.......my life is complete.....why didn't anyone post or made an ot?????? What that hell....unbelievable
...thanks man , dreams do come true. Lol and i can't sleep its 4am...im glad i couldn't sleep or else i wouldn't had seen this. Just wow...bye bye 8 wallet psn money.

ElTopo

Banned
Never thought I'd see the day this happened. Hopefully this means the death of Final Burn Alpha and more optimized emulators with online capabilities.

When I was four or five my uncle came to visit and he had MAME on his laptop and I thought it was it's own game, not understanding exactly what it was. Me and my sister used to "write books" when we were kids and we wrote what was essentially a 14 page summary of the first Harry Potter book with all of the names changed to people we knew and set in modern day. My uncle with MAME on his laptop featured in it.

Somehow i love this little story, i don't know why. Thanks for sharing i guess :)

Not only there's lots of Technos Japan games in Arcade Archives PS4, but there will be lots of Taito games. Can't wait for one of my favorite games of all time: Ninja Warriors! :)

And dragonzdogma, here's the official website with all the released games so far: http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamster/arcadearchives/

Yes!!!!! Thanks, damn it i demand an ot to be made of double dragon 2. Ninja warriors oh man, loved that game, wasn't call bad dudes tho?

With GPLv2, this means that any derived software will also need to be open-sourced under the same license, meaning that commercial products might not be forthcoming if there is any additional IP contained within.

Piccoro

Yes!!!!! Thanks, damn it i demand an ot to be made of double dragon 2. Ninja warriors oh man, loved that game, wasn't call bad dudes tho?

Bad Dudes was a Data East game for the arcades and NES. Ninja Warriors is an Arcade/SNES beat 'em up where you controlled cyborg ninjas.

Piccoro

Oooh,is that the arcade with 32X9 aspect ratio?Lol

Yep.

taito_ninja1_m.jpg

wondermega

Bad Dudes was a Data East game for the arcades and NES. Ninja Warriors is an Arcade/SNES beat 'em up where you controlled cyborg ninjas.

He's close - Bad Dudes "official" title is "Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja," although the full name never stuck.

Double Dragon 2 has a lot of slow down, and is quite buggy. It is hard to recommend as much as I love playing it. It constantly drops to around 15fps it feels like during game play.

The ps4 version appears to be an improved version ,not even mame could ever emulate dd2 this fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xckgwh89CTo
Yeah, that is only the first stage. Once you reach mission two towards the boss when he rises from the elevator the game starts to freeze uo, also in the third mission where you start to fight the Billy clone and the tractor turns on. The games crawls, those are just some of the things I remember off head. I recorded it, I woukd show you bit I am currently at work

PokéKong

Does this mean SNK games on Steam are suddenly going to run way better?

But I honestly do want to see a future where publishers adopt the digital music industry standard and just sell DRM-free roms, preferably from within a snazzy front end of a MAME or MAME-like emulator.

Peltz

Hopefully this means more commercial releases of classic arcade games for everyone to enjoy.

Who knows? Maybe we'll even get those classic Nintendo games that never left the arcades?

Knuf

why didn't anyone post or made an ot?????? What that hell....unbelievable

I concur that not having an OT for Arcade Archives is criminal: I was browsing through the Wikipedia page and if that list is right, some of my favourite arcades ever such as Wonderboy in Monster Land, Bubble Bobble and KikiKaiKai are going to be released as Arcade Archives. How/when were those announced and how in the fuck did I miss them?! o_O

The Arcade Archives collection is seriously underrated IMO..

Price for admission seems a bit tad high, especially for some of the titles currently available, but since Hamster is doing arcade-perfect ports, the price seems to be just well justified.

PGamer

fucking juniors
With GPLv2, this means that any derived software will also need to be open-sourced under the same license, meaning that commercial products might not be forthcoming if there is any additional IP contained within.

Yes, but according to the news post over 90% of the MAME files are also licensed under three clause BSD so that is an option too depending on what files you need and if you have the resources to rewrite parts of the application.

I'm confused. Wasnt it always open source? Or do you mean the license changed?

The license changed from the MAME license to GPL2 or later. It wasn't under a standard open source license previously. More specifically the old license restricted what you could do with the code in particular you could not use it commercially. With GPL there isn't such restrictions (aside from having to abide by the terms of the new license).

Top Bottom