• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M.A.V. (Modular Assault Vehicle) - Indie Chromehounds For PC Intel Thread

As above, indeed - new trailer! Good stuff, Cyberdogs!

Update information for this week:

You can now buy gift codes for the M.A.V. alpha membership! When you login to your account you will see the new paypal option and when you buy a gift code it is attached to your account. You can then share this code and when redeemed will upgrade the redeemer to alpha status! These codes are good forever, so if you buy an alpha gift code, but don't redeem it until beta, the code will still unlock the game [And count the redeemer as an Alpha member!]. Once a code is redeemed, it will be removed from your account.

Back to the game, this week is the release of Version 0.5.0 and represents the full changeover of the art style.

The primary goal of this release was to create a level to the standard that I wanted all the levels to be at. This involved learning quite a few new techniques, adding new optimizations, and creating a LOT of content.

About the new map:

Fully playable in Arena and Siege mode
Symmetrical design
3 core attack paths, each with strengths and drawbacks
Several defensible sniper areas to help protect your HQ
Loads of destructible buildings.
There have also been many other improvements and changes as well. Here is the full change list:

+ Added a massive number of Art Assets
+ Added 12 new explosion effects
+ AI uses NavMesh AI pathing to help it maneuver around the levels
+ Damage feedback added to HQ buildings in Siege mode
+ Moved to a full production server for Master Server Game listings
+ Added Siege mode spawn points to prevent randomly spawning in bad places

* Added optimizations to weapon camera to improve performance on slower CPU's
* Fixed Server UI not correctly applying settings

And God said, let there be wheels in the new MAV update:

Awwww Yeah! This week, let me introduce, the Wheeled Leg type.

You like speed? You like agility? Do you have a burning desire to go fast? I mean, really, really fast? Do you throw caution to the wind?

Then this is the leg type for you!

Go to your user page and grab the latest build to test them out.

Built for those perfect hit and run attacks, the Scout legs bring a whole new demension to the team play and tatics of Arena mode.

Trading durability and load capacity for speed, these legs (and variants) make a great chasis for anyone wanting to play as a scout class. Or maybe sneak around the enemy team and lay down an ambush of turrets!

1GiYMpK.jpg

There are a total of 8 wheel variants in this build, giving you a large variatiey to play with.

Here are some of the other changes:

+ Made AI much more aggressive with firing weapons
+ Updated AI spawning to use new legs
+ Updated AI to learn to drive a bit better

* Modified the HD cannon to have more ammo
* Modified the Shotgun -160 parts to have a reaonable spread

No new build this week, BUT...

Hey everyone, I have been hard at work this week overhauling the procedural generation systems used by the AI.

Sadly, it took longer then I wanted and I was not able to get to a stable state for this weeks build, so I am not going to have an update for this week.

Here is what I have been doing all week:

Tech Talk
The current procedural M.A.V. builder is quite inefficient, sometimes taking over 1 sec to build a M.A.V..

While this might seem fast, in the world of games, it's painfully slow. It will also only get slower as more parts are added and more options are added to the mix. At the current rate, it could end up taking the AI over 10 mins to build a M.A.V. (and that's if the game doesn't crash first!).

In addition to the time, the current system had some other drawbacks. Since it was having to spawn and delete a bunch of parts, it took a LOT of memory every time it ran. It could also potentially overload the physics system, causing everything to temporarily loose their ability to collide with other objects. It also cause out of sync issues when a multiplayer server would get tied up generating AI MAV's.

So, the solution!

I took on the task of recreating my own data objects to replace the default Unity3d game objects. This allows me to not have to spawn any objects, and build up a MAV completely on the fly, doing collision checks (a custom physics solution was needed), manipulating the attach points, and then saving it all out to pass back to the Unity systems. This also allows me to make the whole system multi-threaded.

So far, this has gotten me a significant reduction in the generation times, down to less then a tenth of a second (running in the editor, so it's even faster in game). I also was able to do things in more constant time, so adding new parts should not cause the system to slow down either. This coupled with multi-threading, will allow me to create an AI MAV, in the background, with an approximate 1 frame delay. Plus it removes all the secondary bugs from the old system!

I felt this was the best time to tackle this problem, as I plan to be adding quite a few parts in the near future and I wanted to be able to isolate out the bugs being caused by the old system so I can focus on the 'real' bugs.

Art Talk
Now that I have all that Tech talk out of the way, let me talk about art! I have commissioned Eliott Lilly, a great artist I have worked with in the past, to create the first official piece of concept art. I have been working with him a lot this week, doing video calls and establishing an art direction for the game. He has made some great progress and I can't wait to show you the final piece! It's very exciting to me to be able to reveal the 'look' that the MAV's will have.

Thanks for reading and check back next week!

Pylon.

i don't know who you are. i don't know why you made this thread.

but as soon as i saw the "chromehounds" title on it, and read just a few sentences of the OP. i can safely say i love you as much as i can love an online avatar of another person.

I need this yesterday. Hook this up to my veins and i will draw nurture from it for days. Where do i deposit money?

Great update this week, friends. Behold:

So this week has some exciting changes, but first, I would like to show off the first offical piece of M.A.V. concept art!

This concept is for a medium Attacker type MAV, a role meant to be right at the front lines pushing forward.

The art is by Eliott Lilly, a great guy I have worked with in the past.

This concept really captures the art direction I want to take the MAV parts in. I will be working on updating the visuals to achieve this in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

FLAME THROWERS!

cfCQhtll.jpg
UZfTFUOl.jpg

There are a total of 8 new flame throwers to help you win your battles. They make for a great hit and run weapon, but be wary of the extremely limited range. Targets that have been lit on fire, will continue to take damage, so light them up and get out.

And finally, the full change list:

* Modified the way AI spawns. This lead to a speed up and allows a greater number of parts without affecting the speed (going from a tech limited 300 parts to a tested 60,000 parts)

* Fixing collision issues on Wheels with Base cockpit
* Fixed Part name prefixes not being hyphenated correctly

+ Adding in flamethrowers
+ Adding in Flamethrower F/X
+ Adding in Flamethrower sounds
+ Added in damage over time damage type
+ Added in Area damage over time damage type

---

Also, do remember you can buy MAV gift codes on the Bombdog store. Mech someone's day, would you? We need more tungsten boots on the ground.

Update!

This week I devoted some time to updating the website and integrating the account system in with the design of the site as well. I felt this needed to be done, as the old site was very slow, visually jarring, and having the account system not matching made it feel untrustworthy. I am hoping you like the new design!

As for M.A.V., version 0.5.3 is now out. I didn't have the full week so it's not a major update, but I did get a few key elements done.

Sounds

I got a few sound related systems done. The first is an 'engine manager' for use on all non-legged types. This system handles the audio for all the engine sounds (idle, accelerating, breaking, load, ect.) and I have added it in game to the wheels and the tank treads. I don't have all the sounds hooked up yet, but the base is there to test the system.

Also, for the legged type's I created a footstep sound manager. This will handle all the sounds of walking around, leg movements, ect. While I got this done, I could not get the actual sounds done yet, so no footstep sounds in-game this build :(

Bugs

I did also tackle some of the more glaring bugs. First on the list was all the camera switching bugs. In rare cases it was possible to get in to some unrecoverable camera states (like not having a main camera) that drastically affected the gameplay. I tackled these bugs by gutting out the old camera code and rewriting a much cleaner implementation. In my tests, it was bug free, so let's see how it hold up for you!

Next up was the collision bugs in the Giant Leap level. There seemed to be several places in the map that had 'holes' in them, that allowed any MAV using tank treads to fall into the map. This was a bit harder to track down, but I feel I found the source and got it fixed. I would love to hear if you are still experiencing it. I also fixed up various collision issues (like going up the ramps in certain places).

That wraps it up for this week!

Cyberdogs charges onward:

This week, I have been splitting my time between two big tasks, Hit and Death feedback and new models.

So for this week's build I really wanted to improve the hit feedback when you are in the heat of the battle. So the first thing I added was making all the parts explode when they are destroyed. This provides much better feedback to both the attacker and the attacked. Plus it's so satisfying when you see that explosion from your 'across the map' sniper shot :)

Next up was removing the disappearing act that happened when you killed another M.A.V. in battle. Now, you get a satisfying explosion as they come to a stop. You both get a second to understand what happened, they the blowup in a big way!

I set this up in way that allows it to be extended with other features as well. I want to add low health warning sounds, auto show and hide health when a part takes damage, and maybe even an after death 'kill cam'.

Models

I also spent a lot of time working on some new models. I have modeled a new cockpit
(based on the concept art) and have move on to texturing it. It's taking a bit longer then I want as I plan out the proper shader and workflow for ensuring customizable camo patterns and colors. I also have to consider performance impacts and compatibility with the procedural part system.

But, I am making great progress and can't wait to show it off!

Can't wait to hear and see the plethora of new and upcoming features.

New week, new build, new love!

I have been hard at work polishing a lot of the game features on the backend and it lead me down a path that is requiring a lot of front end work as well.

So, without further delay, I will jump right into this week's changes.

Custom Controls

In this build I have added a fully customizable control system. In the options menu you can access the controls settings allowing you to define any custom controls you want. Each input can accept a primary and a secondary control, so you don't have to worry about switching if you want to play with a joystick. The default secondary controls are setup for the Xbox 360 controller.

Video Options

With the removal of the default startup screen I have included a Video Options menu as well. Currently this just exposes a resolution and graphics setting option, but I plan to allow more fine tuned controls in the future.

Change list :

+ Added New UI Art assets to Main Menu
+ Added Menu Music
+ Added Video Options Menu
+ Added Control Options Menu
+ Fixed Performance leak in the Editor

- Removed Unity Default Start Dialog

* Fixed possible crash error with overlapping attachpoints
* Fixed Turret Spawning in Siege mode
* Optimized collision to increase performance

I also got a large amount of work done on the new deployment system (as seen last week), but it was not quite in a stat that I wanted to release it yet. I will continue to work on it and plan on having it ready for next week.

I also spent some time looking into an automatic build system to make the deployment of new builds much easier, but it is still a work in progress as well.

Well, that is all for this week, so go play and I will see you next week!

And have a few screenies from Arena Mode from the last build and latest map! Found myself quite fond the wheeled variant, especially for racing about and snapping photos.

Chromehounds is being done justice.

Ito.png

Jto.png

Kto.png

Lto.png

Mto.png

Ashodin

Woo I finally joined the MAV founder team (bought the game, basically). Let's get that chromehounds up and running son!

Woo I finally joined the MAV founder team (bought the game, basically). Let's get that chromehounds up and running son!

That's the ticket.

Now, for a new build...one just a little bit different to the others!

Well this week, M.A.V. grew up a little bit. I officially moved away from the old .zip files and now have a full and proper installer.

So, with that said, go grab version 0.5.7 from your user page!

So along with the new installer, I implemented a new release system as well. I would like to explain how the releases going forward will work.

Stable builds, snapshot builds, and you

Through the development process I have discovered a funny paradox. Weekly releases are both not enough time for me to develop features and weekly releases are way too long between bug fixes.

Because of this, I created an opt-in snapshot build system. What is a snapshot build? It is a very rough untested build, hot of the press, used for finding issues in newly added features. Snapshot builds are very small changes, allowing testing of a very specific problem or feature.

So why would you want snapshot builds? You will get the latest features, as soon as they are available, and your feedback will help shape the way the feature turns out. Don't like the balance of a new weapon in the snapshot build? That is the perfect time to talk about it and see the changes progress.

So what happens if you DON'T opt in to the snapshot builds? You continue to receive updates, they will just be larger, farther apart, but also more bug free. The snapshot builds and tests will be used to help polish out a Stable build. If you didn't opt in to the snapshots, you will only receive stable updates. These updates will not be bug free, but they will be 'less bugs' :)

Snapshot opt-in

Ok, so you want to opt-in to the snapshots and start helping report bugs and being awesome? Great! There is now a dedicated snapshot bug section on the message board. Posting bugs in this section will help ensure the updates come super fast and resolve as many issues as possible. There are some posting rules, so please be sure to read them and follow them.

Cool Techy stuff

So, the new updater uses a much more efficient system for delivering updates. It's called a binary patch, and it ensures the updates can be VERY small (as small as 30KB!) instead of having to re-download the entire game (350 MB and growing). The update process is also 100% automated, meaning you just press the update button in game. The updater will launch, close the game, download the files, apply the patch, and re-launch the game. All in about 20 seconds!

That wraps it up for this week! Next week should see tons of bugs squashed and more work on the new deployment parts and system. PLEASE post any issues you have with the installer or updater to the message board!

New updates and the snapshot patching rolls onward very smoothly:

This week I plan on tackling the multiplayer modes. I want to hone in the design a bit more and polish the experience. Right now I think they are still a bit too 'alpha' feeling and I want to move them into a more final stage.

I will likely run a couple experiments before I get it completely nailed down, but here are some of the changes I want to implement.

Kill limit in Arena Mode

I want to put in a kill limit and time limit to Arena mode and open it up to multiplayer. This will be the 'de-facto' deathmatch mode.

No Garage during a match

I want to try not allowing going back into the garage during gameplay. You would deploy into a match with 3-4 pre-saved builds that you can choose from, but no actual changing of the MAV in game. This is to help keep the pace of the matches up.

No more Join in Progress

I don't think the matches can be competitive if you allow people to hop in during the middle of a game. I want to allow people to join the server, but they would be in a sort of Spectator mode until the next match deployed.

These are the key elements I want to be testing while I add the polish to the experience. All the tests will be carried out in the snapshot builds, so if you want to participate, make sure you have the snapshots enabled!

Until next week!

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Well, it's been awhile since Pylon updated this thread, so I wanted to just post a quick update that I am still hard at work pushing out updates.

The snapshot builds and patches have made my turn around MUCH faster, as I now push out builds almost twice a week.

I am going to try and make more videos also, so if you are into that here is the latest video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDqogKLS_E

I'm not really sure about any rules regarding a developer 'reviving' their own thread, so if that's not ok, I will stop posting.

Thanks!

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Thought I would update you guys with this teaser I put out. Just a quick 'work-in-progress' look at the new models I am working on.

Teaser.jpg

ElfArmy177

Thought I would update you guys with this teaser I put out. Just a quick 'work-in-progress' look at the new models I am working on.

Teaser.jpg

I... What... Chromehounds was one of my favorite games of all time.. how did.. I miss this.. I cant... feeling..

I will support you M.A.V team....

New update, new screens:

Wow, 80 weeks of State of the Game updates! Let's take a moment and reflect on that.

DONE!

So, what is new this week? In case you don't have the snapshot builds enabled, I have redone all the models to the parts, while also adding in quite a few new parts.

So, new models, new snapshots, what does the future hold?

Well, I have been hard at work looking through all the multiplayer experience. I have already began work on creating a new lobby server. This will allow a much more fluid game experience, from going from the garage to the combat, and also make it much easier to find people to play with.

Another big undertaking will be optimizing the dedicated server instances. Right now, they can spiral up with the memory and CPU usage, making it difficult to properly host a large game. This optimization will allow many more servers to be ran, using the same resources. This means there will always be a multiplayer server available to play on.

After that, there will be some improvements to the core experience of progression. With player stats, ranks, profiles, voice chat, and matchmaking coming on.

Keep checking back for the new progress!

nAdQ4rd.jpg

pjW2F5s.jpg

Y5uOsJR.jpg

New update!

It's that time again, time for another state of the game!

So, this week I want to talk multiplayer. The current multiplayer can get a little buggy. So, the next update is focused on polishing the multiplayer modes as much as possible.

This means there will be some changes and some improvements.

I think the biggest change, will be the elimination of the garage from the multiplayer game. I found having the garage available at all times, not only vastly complicated the code and increased the number of bugs that could form, but also really interfered with the gameplay. There is nothing like joining a 4 player arena, only to find the other three players are all hanging out in the garage tweaking.

Now, I still want you to have the ability to alter your strategy if things are not working out, so instead of the garage, you will have access to a set number of slots, which you can save builds to. These slots will be available in game, so you can still bring a sniper, a support, and a scout all into the battle and change roles as needed.

Another big addition, is a pre and post game lobby. This will give you the ability to set up the teams, talk about strategy, and review the game stats, before and after each round. You will also be able to vote on the next map to play on.

There is quite a bit more coming soon, as this will be the largest update to the game so far. Check back next week for more updates!

Going to take a few screenshots over the weekend.

CTLance

Uh... guys? Not sure if this is allowed on this forum, but would someone be willing to exchange a MAV gift code for Star Citizen/GOG/steam codes from me? I have resolved to never use paypal again, but every update in this thread cuts deep. I need this, in my veins. I caved. I am weak. You win, M.A.V....

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
I don't like reviving my own thread, but I thought you guys might want to know about a promotion I am running to celebrate the fans.

I will be giving away free Alpha Memberships on facebook using a 'sweepstakes' contest.

http://woobox.com/xp4bkb

Tell people about the contest, and you gain more tickets into the raffle increasing your chances of winning.

gabbo

I don't like reviving my own thread, but I thought you guys might want to know about a promotion I am running to celebrate the fans.

I will be giving away free Alpha Memberships on facebook using a 'sweepstakes' contest.

http://woobox.com/xp4bkb

Tell people about the contest, and you gain more tickets into the raffle increasing your chances of winning.

Piqued my interest

CTLance

Also, I made a video! (it's such a rare thing these days)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7BiIf5HZzA
Wow, that was nice. It may be a rare thing, but it was a nice incentive to get back into the game again. I profess to having neglected it in the last few weeks.

Downloading the update right now.

How does MAVgaf control their mechs? I've been battling the (comprehensive) KBM config options, but nothing feels quite right... There's always that one mode/interface where I get confuzzled because the controls feel off.

Maybe I should just give up and use my 360 pad like the scrub I am.

Top Bottom