• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MacBook Pro 15 vs. Dell XPS 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurbaan

Banned
As someone who owns a Mac pro, get the DELL. If only because OSX is pretty bad. Can't use 2 windows at the same time easily have to manually reposition them and size them its so annoying. Then there is the fact that flash is shit on osx

also its not worth that much more, mac look sexy and have trackpads to kill for. but dell is a better buy.

NotBacon

Seriously? $800 extra for OSX, slightly better build quality, and a slightly better trackpad? Get the DELL no doubt and save some money, then put Linux on it for FREE to get the benefits of OSX without having to deal with OSX (or windows).

Save 800 dollars, best OS, I don't see why not.

Dynamic3

As someone who owns a Mac pro, get the DELL. If only because OSX is pretty bad. Can't use 2 windows at the same time easily have to manually reposition them and size them its so annoying. Then there is the fact that flash is shit on osx

also its not worth that much more, mac look sexy and have trackpads to kill for. but dell is a better buy.

There is an app that adds the split-window snap function to OSX.

longdi

Banned
TS should not be comparing XPS to MBP.
Dell 'pro' laptop line is the Precision series. While not as cool looking as a MBP, Precision are much better built than XPS

In other news, Apple trackpad is so godly, you can live without a mouse. Sadly, MS partners are still struggling to make a good trackpad..

OP, have you ever owned a modern Macbook before?

I'm guessing the reason you even feel the need to ask this question in the OP is because you haven't.

rMBP all the way

I had no idea this Option menu existed and I don't know how I would have found out unless someone told me or I was just randomly pressing buttons in menus.

Growing up with a Mac, I had no idea that everything you might want to do was solely hidden in the right-click menu in Windows 3.1/95, so bizarre customs go both ways.

Why not copy, then paste, and then delete original? I thnk the reason there is no cut, is because - what happens if you cut a file, then have a crash, etc. or forget to paste.

Indeed, that's why it didn't exist. Here's the thing though: let the fucking computer sort it out. If cutting a file in Windows actually worked like the desktop publishing process it's copied from, that would be a problem as you describe, but it doesn't work like that: the files don't move until the paste succeeds. The only reason it doesn't exist like that on the Mac today is because it didn't exist on the Mac at any point in the last thirty years (for the reason you listed).

Seriously? $800 extra for OSX, slightly better build quality, and a slightly better trackpad? Get the DELL no doubt and save some money, then put Linux on it for FREE to get the benefits of OSX without having to deal with OSX (or windows).

Save 800 dollars, best OS, I don't see why not.

That's really understating it.

sca2511

I'd pay for that difference so you can get OS X, a far better OS than Windows.

Uh huh.

OS is definitely personal preference. I'd go with the Dell just for that dGPU for video editing. You will be missing those touchpad gestures, probably the battery life(I'm unsure of the length of the XPS 15 Haswell battery life), and likely the resale value.

OP why not...

Sony VAIO Pro 13 $1,699.99 (Customizable & touch available)

• 4th gen Intel® Core™ i7-4500U (1.80GHz / 3.00GHz)
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
  • Features: 13.3" Full HD IPS display (1920 x 1080)
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB (256GB x1) PCIe SSD
  • Intel® HD Graphics 4400
  • VGA adapter, HDMI® out, USB 3.0, NFC, TPM
or

Sony VAIO Fit 15A (Pre-order) $1,799.99

• 4th gen Intel® Core™ i7-4500U (1.80GHz / 3.00GHz)
  • Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
  • Features: 15.5" over Full HD IPS touch display (2880 x 1620)
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB (5400rpm) + 16GB NAND flash HHD
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 735M with Optimus™ graphics (2GB)
  • digitizer stylus, HDMI® out, USB 3.0, NFC

Takuan

If money ain't a thang, go with the MBP. It's a beautiful device and will retain value.

If money is a thang and you're willing to compromise on frills + resale, go with the Dell. You can probably get the Dell for cheaper than asking price, too, since they seem to have sales every damned week. Black Friday's coming up soon.

You'll be able to do what you want on both machines. The Dell's dedicated GPU could possibly make a difference. The additional storage space could be great as well for archival purposes. Trackpads aren't a big deal to me, since they're all inferior to even the most primitive mouse anyway.

TxdoHawk

Look at Apple's refurbs if the price difference is hard to swallow, OP. They're as good as new, except you get a plain white box.

railGUN

Banned
Is this a joke? Please tell me this is a joke.

I never cut files, I have no clue why it's not there, hence the guess.

Edit: Not actually "cutting" the file makes sense, (but calling it that doesn't).

Edit 2: well it kind of does... I'm just going to bow out of this before I further embarrass myself.

If it were me I'd get the MacBook Pro, but I would opt for the high-res anti-glare display that Apple offers instead of the retina display.

Unfortunately that was only an option on the non-retina Macbook Pro 15", and now that's been removed the lineup since this past Tuesday. I refuse to consider any machine unless it has a 16:10 matte display as an option.

*hugs 2011 matte display 15" Macbook Pro*

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
I'd go for the rMBP, just for OS X alone.

I'm actually looking at getting a new one myself, but I absolutely hate how you can't tweak the 15" specs to your liking. The "default" specs have the integrated video and there's no way to upgrade that without jumping to the $2,600 version. There's no in-between!

gsrjedi

I too am interested in choosing between these two. The upgraded Dell (with a 512GB SSD standard) also includes a bigger battery (91 WHr vs 61 WHr, the rMBP has a 95 WHr). Hopefully Anandtech gets reviews of both of them fairly soon to see if the IGZO display on the XPS is actually helping to save the battery life significantly. Also I want to see how good the XPS display is for color accuracy and the like. It seems the rMBP is pretty good in that regards.

Another thing to consider is the way the two OSes scale hiDPI monitors & type of programs you'll be using. I know Windows 8.1 is supposed to improve the hiDPI scaling, but I think it'll still be up to programs to code for them. As a person thinking about photos & videos I don't want to run Lightroom or Photoshop in a scaled mode that makes the images look worse. I'm waiting to see how the XPS handles scaling in those type of programs.

I would never buy a laptop with no discrete gpu with that amount of money. That's just ludicrous.

Go with 13 rmbp. At least it's cheaper.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Unfortunately that was only an option on the non-retina Macbook Pro 15", and now that's been removed the lineup since this past Tuesday. I refuse to consider any machine unless it has a 16:10 matte display as an option.

*hugs 2011 matte display 15" Macbook Pro*

Seriously? That's dumb. Looks like I got the last one to have the option, so at least I can hang onto it as long as possible at this point.

Tenks

Work recently gave me a MBP for my development work and I'm really taking to it. I was always firmly in the anti-Mac camp but I'm starting to get it. The UI is pretty much like playing with safety scissors but if you can't figure out how to do something you need in the UI just open up the terminal and do it via Unix commands. I love the trackpad and the build quality is outstanding. It runs 10x better than my Windows 7 machine even though my 7 machine was technically more powerful. But that could be because of the SSD. My IDE no longer takes minutes to open it now takes seconds. Shits cash. I'm sure it being free helped out my joy.

I would have always been the first guy in here going "You're going to spend $1000 more for inferior specs?!?" but, honestly, I'm starting to get it. Shit the trackpad full-screen app flicking is worth $500 alone. It is an amazingly elegant solution to simulate multi-monitor output on a single screen.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Apple asking 2,500$ for the only laptop they sell with a discrete graphics card is an absurdity.

They're obviously making a ton of profit on these 15 inch retina macbooks when you compare them with the older pro's.

With their laptop sales stagnating or even going down, I fear these wallet gouging moves will keep happening to preserver their profits. The only reason they are sparing the Airs is because they're the bulk of their shipments and it would wreck their volume if they messed with them.

NotBacon

That's really understating it.

Nah not really. I don't have much Dell experience, but my GF has an Air while I have an Asus UX31A running Ubuntu. I feel no big difference.
Sure hers is a little better at touch response, but is it worth the apple tax? And having to deal with OSX?

Uh no.

If you only care about specs, the Dell would be fine.

But, generally, input devices on PC Laptops are still so far behind those on Apple's computers. I don't get why even otherwise great PC laptops still can't figure out how to make an intuitive, smooth, consistent touchpad. Even Lenovo, which prides itself on its input devices (an excellent typing experience on most thinkpads) and listening to it's customers, releases touchpads that poorly supported, small and cramped, and shitty.

As a brand, I would generally avoid Dell like the plague... But, if you're not against specific brands, I'm sure it'll do the job.

Frankly, I personally would opt for the Mac. I generally buy Mac computers these days, mostly becuase I know the kind of quality I'll get for the price -- excellent perfomance, terrific battery life, super high build quality, great input. But, I'm not an Apple fanboy or anything, I have devices across all major brands/competitors, and there are things I legitimately prefer PCs for (even as a developer).

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
Apple asking 2,500$ for the only laptop they sell with a discrete graphics card is an absurdity.

They're obviously making a ton of profit on these 15 inch retina macbooks when you compare them with the older pro's.

With their laptop sales stagnating or even going down, I fear these wallet gouging moves will keep happening to preserver their profits. The only reason they are sparing the Airs is because they're the bulk of their shipments and it would wreck their volume if they messed with them.

$2,600!! Such absurdity.

Yeap, that is fucking ridiculous, and absurd. It's fine if you have the money to blow and you like the form factor, build quality, battery life and OSx. However IMHO, that is not worth the premium you are paying. Last year when I was shopping for a laptop I was strongly considering a MacBook pro. The one I wanted was about $2.3k. Then I went to Lenovo and found a machine that matched every spec of the Macbook pro except for the battery life, for less than $900.

Get the Mac.

Better build quality.
Better battery life.
Better trackpad (only seems like a small factor...until you've spent time with it).
Better support experience.

aaaaaand you can install Windows 8 and dual boot when necessary/desired with ease and enjoy the best of both worlds to their maximum potential.

I've owned a few Dells, a Toshiba, an HP, a Vaio, and a Gateway. I've owned a MBP for 2 years now and the experience has been so far above and beyond those past laptop experiences I feel silly for not having considered one earlier. If I have to leave the Mac world with my next laptop (still undecided on whether I want to go down to 15" or get something like an HP Elitebook 17" since Apple no longer makes 17" laptops), I'll leave it kicking and screaming. Smoothest, most satisfying laptop experience I've ever had..and I've had a lot of experiences. Most of those experiences were good, but the MBP experience has been just that much better. The uptick in price was a small price to pay for complete satisfaction and match for my needs. Just the fact that I could get 7 hours of battery life out of my 17" MBP...so good.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Depends on whether the price is an issue, or if the screen quality is equal. The screen on rMBP is literally outstanding, and not just because of resolution. I have not seen a better laptop screen period. The XPS is supposed to use Sharp's new IGZO so it could be even better for all I know.

If you're planning to use just Windows and don't want to sell it a year from now, I'd probably go with XPS. The massive trackpad advantage MBP has over any Windows laptop is just not there when using it under Windows.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In Windows, I can right-click a file, select Cut, navigate to the folder where I want it to go, paste it, and that's that. In OSX, there is no option to cut a file. You can copy it, navigate to where you want it to be, and paste it, but the original file remains where it started, leaving me with two instances of that file.

I was lamenting the lack of cut and paste functionality in Finder in the Mavericks thread this week, and someone told me that before pasting, you can hold the Option key to display alternate commands. When doing this, 'Paste Item' becomes 'Move Item Here'. I had no idea this Option menu existed and I don't know how I would have found out unless someone told me or I was just randomly pressing buttons in menus.
Yeah, there's that, but for the most part I guess that option is not obviously prominent because the Move file is the default when just dragging files from one folder to another (as long as they are on the same disk, of course)

dLMN8R

I'm not sure why people are talking about build quality in this thread. Have you used a high-end Dell laptop in, like, the last 10 years?

I have a Dell XPS 12. The build quality is absolutely fantastic. Metal rim, high-quality plastic casing, nice textured feel to all of it, and plenty study and reliable even with its fancy flip-screen thingy.

Yeah, the MacBook probably has *better* build quality, but you're talking about a level where the difference is pretty much irrelevant.

Shadow780

Am I the only one who hates using trackpads in every laptop, no matter how good they are?

Always bring a wireless mouse with me.

kurbaan

Banned
There is an app that adds the split-window snap function to OSX.

Thats beside the point. I've seen tons of peoples windows desktops that make the UI looks like Macs. Hell there was even an app to switch ctrl and alt around.

But I've found OSX to be a vastly inferior OS to windows. Everything is worse on it like Chrome, Divx or sync apps for phones (except Iphones i guess). Open many youtube winodows and the browser crashes or the whole system freezes for a bit and gets super super hot. The trackpad is pretty much the only thing keeping me with the Macs and the fact that I only use it to browse the net.

lachesis

MBP, if you don't mind OSX and the price. (not that OSX is wrong - but it has its own weakness/limits)
MacBooks seem to have better resale value than PCs- so if you upgrade your computer often, this might be a better option... and I love trackpad.

KaiserBecks

Nah not really. I don't have much Dell experience, but my GF has an Air while I have an Asus UX31A running Ubuntu. I feel no big difference.
Sure hers is a little better at touch response, but is it worth the apple tax? And having to deal with OSX?

Uh no.

It's not about the material or the response. The great thing about the trackpad is the way it's integrated in the OS. I've never used a mouse on my Macbook simply because I never felt I needed to. I actually miss a lot of OSX stuff that benefits from the trackpad (like expose) when I'm using my desktop PC. Then again, you can get used to anything of course. But having a pretty good substitute for a mouse, especially on a laptop, is a major plus imo.

Laptops come with 16 GB of memory now? I must have been living under a fucking rock.

I would probably go with the Dell though. Not having a dedicated graphics card at that price is a crime.

I'm thinking of buying any of these two laptops with the following specs:

MacBook Pro 15:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ processor 6M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz (0.3 GHz bump option)
8GB DDR3 RAM (16GB option)
Integrated Graphics (2GB GDDR5 option)
15 inch Retina Display
256GB SSD (512GB SSD option)

Price: $1999 ($2599 if i get the other spec)

Dell XPS 15:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ processor (6M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
16GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 750M 2GB GDDR5
15 inch display (3200 x 1800 resolution)
1TB HDD + 32 GB SSD

Price: $1849

What do you guys think? I would use it for day to day work and some video editing.

It all comes down to what you plan on using for video editing, the industry standards right now are Avid and Adobe. Final Cut X has really tanked. If you plan on using Final Cut X then definitely go with the Mac. The way they marry the software to the hardware is still unbeatable and that retina display will give you the ability to see detail when editing 4k video that most other screens wouldn't even dream of. That being said. The Dell with 16 gigs of ram will really help you scream and in video editing ram usually makes or breaks you. It really comes down to personal preference. Those are both good systems. If you get the mac you're going to have to get more ram. That would make it worth it.

bionic77

Apple makes the best laptops bar none and if you are going to use this for work don't skimp in a few hundred bucks when you are going to be using it 24/7.

That said this might have been a tougher decision if the other choice was not a Dell. I have owned 2 Dell computers and they were both pieces of shit. You get what you pay for.

Apple makes the best laptops bar none and if you are going to use this for work don't skimp in a few hundred bucks when you are going to be using it 24/7.

That said this might have been a tougher decision if the other choice was not a Dell. I have owned 2 Dell computers and they were both pieces of shit. You get what you pay for.

I agree, Dell makes shit computers. I have an Alienware M14x but I don't know how the newer models are since they've been bought by dell and the redesign a few months ago. I had a Dell XPS system and it was a buggy, blue screen ridden mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom