• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Machinegames doing Indiana Jones for Bethesda

Nah son, the only thing is getting wrecked is xbox relevance on any public space, i understand that brings so much bitternes
You already my boy. So u can't call me Son. Dont argue with your dad now
Both of you knock this juvenile console war tripe off.

Thread: Quit antagonizing one another and challenge the opinions civilly.

Thank you.

This message was brought to you by the estate of Roy Chapman Andrews*
Not really, but look him up- pretty cool history.
Just having little bit of fun Sir. Nothing serious and no ill will towards anyone.

CamHostage

The game was turned to this PS2/Wii game at some point during the develoment:
Sort of; the PS2/Wii/PSP game was the last-gen version planned of the same project, made by an external studio. So same general story, sort of the same gameplay (ala PS2/Wii/PSP version of Force Unleashed from the same time period,) but obviously with different tech and its own take on the gameplay mechanics.

If Force Unleashed is anything to go by, you might actually have lucked out getting Staff of Kings as a past-gen game instead of having to play the next-gen game, because while the tech was amazing in the LucasArts PS3/360 game, Krome Studios made the game that played better on Wii/PS2/PSP.

Incidentally, you can also play Star Wars Battlefront 3, so long as you can settle for the PSP version: Elite Squadron.

Euphoria required you to send them all of your source code and they would code the game along with you if I remember correctly, which is why force unleashed only used it for the doors? There was some big reason the only “big” game to use it was that backbreaker football game lol

You might be right, but are you sure you're not talking about the Digital Molecular Matter tech? Euphoria was used in GTA and Red Dead, although not much else that I know of. DMM is used in films all the time, but I don't know of any major credits for it in games.

Euphoria was the character-based animation technology where a character would be aware of itself falling or being hit and would act like a human rather than a ragdoll; DMM was the system of assigning physical properties to objects so they would break according to their makeup; glass would shatter, wood would splinter, and metal would dent and bow. (DMM would have been the tech used on doors, not Euphoria.)

And BTW, NaturalMotion was the maker of the Euphoria, and also the maker of the Backbreaker football game; it was sort of their attempt to create like a Epic Games/Unreal Engine relationship where internal development helped shape the middleware technology, though obviously that was sacked early on.

Last edited:
Why buy Bethesda then?

Just cut a deal for each game that comes out.
Nile.A2002154.0835.721.250m.jpg
vtm7PnY.jpg

You guys never learn to stop disappoint yourself lol. First Xbox Series X hype, where it would be difficult times for PS fans, and now this?

The only fans who are insecure and constantly want confirmation are the xbox fans.
I'm not an XBOX fan. Far from it. But you have to be delusional not to see that XBOX first party output will be an extremely interesting proposition in the next years, thanks to Zenimax acquisition.

💅 💅 💅

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm not an XBOX fan. Far from it. But you have to be delusional not to see that XBOX first party output will be an extremely interesting proposition in the next years, thanks to Zenimax acquisition.

💅 💅 💅

So it wasn’t interesting without Zenimax, when they had 2 more studio’s then Sony? Sounds like Sony is more efficient, doing a way better job with less studios.

We keep hearing that Xbox will destroy the PS for many many years. Why you think the PS is more popular brand while Xbox only has promises they can’t back up atm? We haven’t seen anything interesting after all their cringe console hype. Let’s hope they will do better in the future, but in the meantime.....

It’s still the same old waiting game. Xbox will be late at the party before some of these games will be released. Sony is not going to wait for them. They will keep pumping out games in the meantime and the mainstream won’t bother with the Xbox.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
This is nothing but fanboy pot-shotting and it has nothing to do with my point. However, if this was the case, why don't developers just make games for Playstation. Why even release for other platforms at all. I mean, 100 million customers is enough, isn't it?
Yes it does, you were talking about Spiderman, but Spiderman was on a much bigger platform anyway so it negates some of impact.

You're being unecessarily defensive about it. It's like you're desperate for this to be exclusive so you can brag about it on here (even though we have no idea of what its quality will be). I couldn't give a shit because it's going to be on PC anyway.

MonarchJT

Banned
You guys never learn to stop disappoint yourself lol. First Xbox Series X hype, where it would be difficult times for PS fans, and now this?

The only fans who are insecure and constantly want confirmation are the xbox fans.
what happened with the hype ? it was worth is the most powerful console of the bounch no?

Cringe.

I own a PS5. I don’t have any MS products.

So, to repeat, why would MS spend nearly 8
billion on some timed exclusives? You just need to accept the fact that Microsoft have basically purchased, rather than developed, their first party output for the next fifteen or so years. Bethesda games are not going to appear on PlayStation.

I would like that user to explain to me why MS is not releasing Gears, Halo, Forza, etc on Playstation. By his logic they should.

MS has finally seen the light and that they need major first party content. Sony saw that during the PS3 days and it paid dividends for the PS4. MS saw that on the second half of XBOne's days and I'm sure it'll pay dividends going forward. Thing is MS has much deeper pockets and they said they may not necessarily be done with acquisitions.

Why would Zenimax as a seperate entity do that unless influenced by Microsoft?

I've mulled it over and I think you're right. My thoughts were that it would help boost sales for Xbox and thus help their bottom line. But in the short term it would result in a million people bitching at them about it and that would become the conversation, rather than excitement over an Indiana Jones game.

So it wasn’t interesting without Zenimax, when they had 2 more studio’s then Sony? Sounds like Sony is more efficient, doing a way better job with less studios.

We keep hearing that Xbox will destroy the PS for many many years. Why you think the PS is more popular brand while Xbox only has promises they can’t back up atm? We haven’t seen anything interesting after all their cringe console hype. Let’s hope they will do better in the future, but in the meantime.....

It’s still the same old waiting game. Xbox will be late at the party before some of these games will be released. Sony is not going to wait for them. They will keep pumping out games in the meantime and the mainstream won’t bother with the Xbox.
Dude, I don't care about console peasant wars. Who will destroy who and what not. Not a single flying F. All I know is that the next entries in monumental franchises like:

Fallout
The Elder Scrolls
Doom
Wolfenstein
Dishonored

+ many, many others will now be Microsoft first party games.

You seriously have no idea how much of a big deal that is.

OnionSnake

Banned
Sort of; the PS2/Wii/PSP game was the last-gen version planned of the same project, made by an external studio. So same general story, sort of the same gameplay (ala PS2/Wii/PSP version of Force Unleashed from the same time period,) but obviously with different tech and its own take on the gameplay mechanics.

If Force Unleashed is anything to go by, you might actually have lucked out getting Staff of Kings as a past-gen game instead of having to play the next-gen game, because while the tech was amazing in the LucasArts PS3/360 game, Krome Studios made the game that played better on Wii/PS2/PSP.

Incidentally, you can also play Star Wars Battlefront 3, so long as you can settle for the PSP version: Elite Squadron.

You might be right, but are you sure you're not talking about the Digital Molecular Matter tech? Euphoria was used in GTA and Red Dead, although not much else that I know of. DMM is used in films all the time, but I don't know of any major credits for it in games.

Euphoria was the character-based animation technology where a character would be aware of itself falling or being hit and would act like a human rather than a ragdoll; DMM was the system of assigning physical properties to objects so they would break according to their makeup; glass would shatter, wood would splinter, and metal would dent and bow. (DMM would have been the tech used on doors, not Euphoria.)

And BTW, NaturalMotion was the maker of the Euphoria, and also the maker of the Backbreaker football game; it was sort of their attempt to create like a Epic Games/Unreal Engine relationship where internal development helped shape the middleware technology, though obviously that was sacked early on.
Ah okay didn’t know that about backbreaker but makes more sense. A former intern for NM speaks on it but basically Euphoria was incredibly difficult to integrate and required NM employees to work onsite basically as contractors, plus being incredibly expensive.

SNG32

I hope this is an Xbox exclusive and not a fps. Phil needs to let the people know that this is an Xbox exclusive. This is coming from a Sony fanboy too. An announcement like this let’s me know that they’re not fucking around with the games this time and ready to compete. Fuck whoever complains if it’s exclusive to Xbox. Exclusives makes both company’s better and push out better games.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I'm a fan of their wolfenstein games so this is exciting news for me. I agree with others in that I hope it's from a third person perspective.

Cringe.

I own a PS5. I don’t have any MS products.

So, to repeat, why would MS spend nearly 8
billion on some timed exclusives? You just need to accept the fact that Microsoft have basically purchased, rather than developed, their first party output for the next fifteen or so years. Bethesda games are not going to appear on PlayStatio
That's what they all say, lol. Why did they spend 2.5 billion on Minecraft to put all games on PS? This is 7 billion. PS is 40% of Bethesda's sales. Now do the math.

CamHostage

Ah okay didn’t know that about backbreaker but makes more sense. A former intern for NM speaks on it but basically Euphoria was incredibly difficult to integrate and required NM employees to work onsite basically as contractors, plus being incredibly expensive...
Probably. It's tech that was well ahead of its time (modern game engines is integrating AI into animation for just about anything that diverts from a run cycle or the mocap data, and that tracks back to systems like this and beyond; DMM is similarly interesting, though the "physical rendering" assignment tends to be focused on lighting and texturing, maybe acoustics coming up, rather than physical reaction) but I could see it being tough to wrangle and not just a plug-in middleware solution.

NaturalMotion's game design team BTW did do a few physics-heavy games that would have fed their tech prowess (including a few football games and a hockey game, also Clumsy Ninja.) But then they weirdly went on to make the CSR Racing games (actually Boss Alien made those, but NM published; they also acquired the studio) and then a one-on-many strategy thing called Dawn of Titans, and also (notably for this thread) took over development of the mobile strategy game Star Wars: Commander. They were bought by Zynga, and I don't think the Euphoria animation system is being offered as middleware anymore, if it exists at all; NaturalMotion meanwhile are set to make another (mobile) Star Wars game (maybe they will do some fancy animation there?)

But that's a lot of wonky tech and dead Indy games. I assume Bethsda Indiana Jones will have strong face-punching technology too...

Last edited:

Ogbert

That's what they all say, lol. Why did they spend 2.5 billion on Minecraft to put all games on PS? This is 7 billion. PS is 40% of Bethesda's sales. Now do the math.
What do you mean ‘do the math’?

They ‘did the math’. It’s what they did to work out how much Bethesda was worth. And that’s what MS paid.

Minecraft was already on every system. It was an acquisition to continue to monetise a product.

Here’s a question. Why, when Disney shelled out 4 billion for Star Wars, did they restrict it to their streaming service? By your logic, they should chuck the movies on Netflix and Prime to recoup some of that money. Way more people use those services.....

bender

What time is it?
Not the biggest fan of Machinegames output and I can't imagine this being little more than an Uncharted/Tomb Raider rip-off which just doesn't excite me.

Stooky

What do you mean ‘do the math’?

They ‘did the math’. It’s what they did to work out how much Bethesda was worth. And that’s what MS paid.

Minecraft was already on every system. It was an acquisition to continue to monetise a product.

Here’s a question. Why, when Disney shelled out 4 billion for Star Wars, did they restrict it to their streaming service? By your logic, they should chuck the movies on Netflix and Prime to recoup some of that money. Way more people use those services.....
Your comparing Xbox to Disney that has merchandizing in every sector imaginable, theme parks, tv stations, movies , magazines. Xbox doesn’t have the platform size to support 7bill purchase just to keep it exclusive. These games will be out on everything.

Cornbread78

I'm so glad I grabbed a SeX at launch next to my sexy PS5 to play these exclusives..

I hate the way MS does business, but yeah, these are all going to be exclusives and there will be a ton more this gen. Everyone got comfy with everything multiplat last but hold your butts PS only fans this is just the beginning with Beth stuff.....

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Got to say he is clueless.
3:42 He says MachineGames does not have the same budget as Naughty Dog.
3:51 He says MachineGames does not have a proprietary engine like Naughty Dog but uses Unreal Engine. But they have their own engine based of id Tech.
You think they will have even a close budget compared to naughty dog? Uncharted 4 was ballpark 50-60 million and the last of us part 2 was 100 million. There was a reason people were disappointed with Wolfenstein 2 with reused assets the smaller scope etc

Stuart360

No one can say for certain whether this will end up on Playstation, even Microsoft cant say yet as they arent allowed to by law until the Zenimax buy is final, hense why they have been vague when asked about Bethesda games coming elsewhere.
Minecraft really needs to stop beng used as an example of why game could come to Playstation though. First off Minecraft was actually already on Playstatation when Microsoft bought the game (although only by a few weeks). And according to people 'in the know', the Minecraft dev stipulated that Minecraft, and futute Minecraft products, had to be available on all platforms, that was one of the stipultions of the sale he put in.
Of course Cuphead also came to other platforms years latr, but again we dont know if there was some deal made with the devs for that, 'you can have exclusivity but after 3 years our game is allowed elsehwere' etc.

Lets just wait and see. I'm sure once the Zenimax sale is complete, Microsoft will tell us their plans. I hope so anyway because these Bethesda threads are really getting tiresome with this constant speculation. Its as bad as port begging right now and i hope the mods start judging it as the same as port begging and ban it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

You think they will have even a close budget compared to naughty dog? Uncharted 4 was ballpark 50-60 million and the last of us part 2 was 100 million. There was a reason people were disappointed with Wolfenstein 2 with reused assets the smaller scope etc
Er Wolfenstein 2 had a lot of problems, its graphics were NOT one of them. Beautiful game.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Your comparing Xbox to Disney that has merchandizing in every sector imaginable, theme parks, tv stations, movies , magazines. Xbox doesn’t have the platform size to support 7bill purchase just to keep it exclusive. These games will be out on everything.
Stop thinking in bespoke console box terms. Gaming is going digital. Gaming is going streaming.

Soon every device with internet connection and a screen will be able to become a gaming machine.

X cloud, Gamepass, game studio investments... Microsoft knows what's up.

kuncol02

Banned
Got to say he is clueless.
3:42 He says MachineGames does not have the same budget as Naughty Dog.
3:51 He says MachineGames does not have a proprietary engine like Naughty Dog but uses Unreal Engine. But they have their own engine based of id Tech.
Not first time unfortunately. Perfect Dark one was terrible.

Stooky

Platform size?! PLATFORM SIZE?!?!?

Fucking WINDOWS!
Disney made 26billion in 2019 just on their theme parks. That’s one of their many platforms .......Not everybody with windows buys games or is gettting gamepass but everybody eventualy buys a Disney product or somebody bought them a Disney product at some point in their life. I’ll pick Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse money against any Microsoft games any day. Again gamepass does not generate enough money to cover a 7bill purchase. It does give Microsoft content which is important. They’ll make more money getting it everybody hands vs keeping everything exclusive to Microsoft.

Last edited:

Stooky

Stop thinking in bespoke console box terms. Gaming is going digital. Gaming is going streaming.

Soon every device with internet connection and a screen will be able to become a gaming machine.

X cloud, Gamepass, game studio investments... Microsoft knows what's up.
I’m not thinking about a console. I’m thinking about games as a whole. Disney made 20billion just of the theme parks. Gamepass is not making that. To keep all those games exclusive especially after a 7bill purchase they would need gamepass to pull in 20bill. We all know gamepass is not doing that.

Last edited:
I’m not thinking about a console. I’m thinking about games as a whole. Disney made 20billion just of the theme parks. Gamepass is not making that.
Gaming is number one entertainment industry in the world and growing fast. Especially now that lockdowns and social distancing in the new normal. Microsoft will easily get their money back over time. It's a long term investment.

Forsythia

Platform size?! PLATFORM SIZE?!?!?

Fucking WINDOWS!
And MS wants to expand their platform size. It seems Sony fanboys do not understand that. According to them they should be content with the customers they have instead of getting more. More exclusives in the Xbox ecosystem = more people in that ecosystem = more games for Xbox = more people in that ecosystem, and so on and so on...

Stooky

Gaming is number one entertainment industry in the world and growing fast. Especially now that lockdowns and social distancing in the new normal. Microsoft will easily get their money back over time. It's a long term investment.

comparing one company revenue against the entire games industry really doesn’t work, But I’ll play along.

2020 Dinsey profit 70 bill
2020 games industry profit 90bill forecasted (with covid projected to be 160bill we’ll see if it hits that)

Last edited:

Leo9

I’m not thinking about a console. I’m thinking about games as a whole. Disney made 20billion just of the theme parks. Gamepass is not making that. To keep all those games exclusive especially after a 7bill purchase they would need gamepass to pull in 20bill. We all know gamepass is not doing that.
And? Microsoft wants Gamepass to have 100+M users. The service won't get there without exclusive content.
Microsoft is the second most profitable company on Earth just behind apple. This year Microsoft will make 50-60 billions in net income.
If you think $MSFT investors care about a $7.5B long term investment then you're mistaken.
Netflix is still cash flow negative and investors don't care. They want subs growth.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gaffers here are claiming with certainty that Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox or Bethesda games will be multiplatform. That's when even Phil Spencer and MS aren't sure what they will do.

It's simple. Phil said the right thing: it will be on a case by case basis. It's the truth. And that's the most logical way forward.

Not all Bethesda games will be multiplatform, and not all games will be necessarily exclusives. It depends on many factors:
  • The popularity of a game/franchise
  • Gamepass users at the time of said game launch
  • Gmaepass users the game expects to bring in
  • Series X and PS user base at the time of the game launch (market share)
  • Development cost of the game
Etc.

It really will be on a case by case basis.

Last edited:

jhjfss

comparing one company revenue against the entire games industry really doesn’t work, But I’ll play along.

2020 Dinsey profit 70 bill
2020 games industry profit 90bill forecasted (with covid projected to be 160bill we’ll see if it hits that)
Disney’s net income in 2019 was 11.05 billion, revenue was 69.57 billion. If you gonna provide numbers, at least provide accurate ones.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
That's when even Phil Spencer and MS aren't sure what they will do.
First of all, I would like to say that we haven't acquired ZeniMax. We have announced our intention to acquire ZeniMax. It is going through regulatory approval and we don't see any issues there. We expect early in 2021 the deal will close. But I say that because I want people to know, I'm not sitting down with Todd Howard and Robert Altman and planning their future. Because I'm currently not allowed to do that, that would be illegal. Your question is completely inbound, but I get a lot of questions right now: "is this game exclusive? Is this game exclusive?" And right now, that is not my job in regards to ZeniMax. My job is not to sit down and go through their portfolio and dictate what happens.

Ogbert

Gaffers here are claiming with certainty that Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox or Bethesda games will be multiplatform. That's when even Phil Spencer and MS aren't sure what they will do.

It's simple. Phil said the right thing: it will be on a case by case basis. It's the truth. And that's the most logical way forward.

Not all Bethesda games will be multiplatform, and not all games will be necessarily exclusives. It depends on many factors:
  • The popularity of a game/franchise
  • Gamepass users at the time of said game launch
  • Gmaepass users the game expects to bring in
  • Series X and PS user base at the time of the game launch (market share)
  • Development cost of the game
Etc.

It really will be on a case by case basis.
I understand your point and I appreciate the appeal to reason, but I really do think we’re over complicating this.

There is not a snowball’s chance in hell that MS have spent nearly 8 billion on a company, only to allow the premier IPs of that company appear on a PS5, where they might well run better.

It’s not happening. It’s never happening.

Of course, there might be some minor games - free to play BRs or small projects, where it makes sense to offer them as multi platform, perhaps even from a PR point of view, to be seen as good guys.

But Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Starfield etc. will, without doubt, only be available on an Xbox or PC.

MonarchJT

Banned

another silly ignorant post where someone on a forum think that ms need sony users to keep gamepass alive after the Bethesda acquisition? let me say this about what u wrote ... 1 no make sense ..2 is wrong ... 3 is not how big companies look when they do big spending.
stop spreading this FUD
if the annual interests of the money spent that would remain in bank is equated with the earnings it's okay. if the earnings exceed what would have been the interests .. in ms they will uncork the champagne.
Spencer in person said they dosnt need any sony user to make it feasible

"I don't have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us."

Last edited:
Top Bottom