• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Machinegames doing Indiana Jones for Bethesda

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
The game isn't ready to be shown, so it's nowhere near to get released (another year or two).
... by the time the game gets released, Microsoft will likely own Bethesda.
yes but the contract for the game was already written up probably to be multiplat before they own the rights to Bathesda.....meaning they have to honor their original contract and agreement.

Ogbert

“Sold the rights”, more like it’s a contract with Bethesda for them to develop and produce alongside Lucas, with the contract stipulating everything from development goals to target platforms.

MS can buy Bethesda out of the contract, but they can’t change the contract just because they bought Bethesda. How come you don’t understand this? This is basic.
Disney has no right (or interest) in stating which platforms the game is released on.

People are overthinking this. Bethesda will have approached Disney and said ‘hey, we’d love to make an Indiana Jones game’. Disney will have then drawn up the terms for the agreement - it’s IP and what they can do with it (timeframe, amount of content etc). And then named the price. Bethesda probably stumped up tens, if not hundreds of millions to use the name.

Disney had absolutely zero right or interest to involve Sony. Or MS for that matter. Or Nintendo. Or Stadia.

This is exactly why Bethesda cost so much. As soon as MS started the acquisition, they will have gone through all their historic, present and future IPs and put a dollar value against it. This will have been one of the more expensive ones.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If not posted:

Eri1K3kXUAYE73j

Not a single person related to Sony or Playstation in the entire industry has acknowledged this game. Meanwhile you have marketing people from every Xbox branch be it europe or us tweeting their excitement.

Bethesda is a seperate entity from MS right now. If this were multiplatform they would have already announced it as such.
Eh, could just be timed or marketing not allowing them to say anything.

Reminds me of this.

destiny-cologne-xbox-microsoft.png

If the collaboration with MS works well, imagine LucasFilm Games giving them the Star Wars IP after the deal with EA expires...
More likely they are going the Marvel route and work with specific publishers. I can imagine MS getting the SW license to make KOTOR 1 and 2 remakes and KOTOR 3. However they won't be getting an exclusive Star Wars license.

This reminds me that it is surprising that Microsoft has not approached Marvel Games to get some licensed properties. I mean, Rare could possibly make a good Fantastic Four or Thor game. Coalition could make an awesome Punisher or Captain America game. And of course Bethesda/Obsidian could make a great X-Men/Avengers/whatever RPG. I am surprised there's no movement there given Sony's success with Spider-Man and even Iron-Man (for being an exclusive VR game that just had lukewarm reception)

Sacred

This game wasn't even announced, I highly doubt it will be on PS5. Also, I could care less, game pass means we get it at no cost, all I care about.

Dthomp

I've seen many people here comment that Wolfenstein 2 was a bad game, can someone explain why that is? I thought all the interactable characters were well-written and different from any other FPS in recent memory. The gunplay wasn't bad aside from just being repetitive, but that's something every FPS struggles with inherently. The story was crazy and went directions I didn't expect. I personally gave the game an 8/10, but it' weird seeing so much criticism.

For me simply, the second one was just too much and not enough at the same time. TNO was my GOTY for that year, and easily one of my favorite games last gen. I think the issue people had with 2 was that 1 was way better then it likely had any right to be so the expectations were much higher for the sequel that felt in many ways inferior to the first one. I much preferred the story of the first game, the setting and set pieces were more memorable, at least for me.

Dthomp

They do this right and it will be the true action adventure king

Not saying it can't happen, but does Indy in 2021 have the fanbase that could potentially have this jump even into the ballpark of Tomb Raider or Uncharted at this stage? I get older folks here who grew up with the movies are stoked, but this isn't a character that younger people have any attachment to, let alone 3-4 years from now when we will also likely have already had next gen versions of both TR/Uncharted by then also. Happy to see people excited, but man 3-4 years is a long ways off for some of these posts talking like we are looking at something game changing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alebrije

Well, hope they do something good , most Indiana Jones games since NES were pure crap. Even Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari 2600 was decent considering the system limitations compared to later games.

Do not think they will copy Uncharted, Indy has a great lore just hope its not just abut figthing the evil Nazis.

Genx3

There's an X on the Box with the rocks on it confirming this is an Xbox title.
Bethesda and MS can't talk about it until the deal is final.
Details incoming after they finalize the transaction.

Genx3

I doubt it, could be one of those "case by case" situations (i.e. the deal was made before the acquisition, therefore it's multiplat)
There is a reason this is being leaked through Xbox tweets.
If you think 7.5 Billion doesn't buy you a bunch of exclusives you better think again.

For comparison's sake the whole of Lucas Film and its IP were purchased for $4 billion.
The whole of Marvel and it's IP were bought for $4 billion.

MS bought Bethesda for $7.5 Billion. They are going to get some mileage from this...

Last edited:
Hoping they confirm if this is exclusive to Xbox. I'm certainly thinking it's not based on the trailer. There's no mention of Xbox at all. This could have been a big "mic drop" moment for the Xbox brand. Us here know Xbox owns Bethesda, but the millions watching this trailer don't.

HoofHearted

dont switch jargon around sir, exclusive means one platform. there is no such thing as an "ecosystem" in gaming. Its either exclusive or it's not. Why is it xbox dudes always try to come up with a new definition of what "exclusive" is.

Confused - What "jargon"? MS has been continually noting for months now that their target ecosystem and "platform" encompasses hardware and software services beyond a single console in numerous press releases and articles.

What isn't clear about their message regarding their planned exclusivity approach to their "new" definition of redefining their own ecosystem and platform?

Ogbert

If you think 7.5 Billion doesn't buy you a bunch of exclusives you better think again.

For comparison's sake the whole of Lucas Film and its IP were purchased for $4 billion.

MS bought Bethesda for $7.5 Billion. They are going to get some mileage from this...
That people don’t seem to get this (or want to get it) confuses me.

Do they think they paid nearly 8 billion to get a six month lead time on a multiplat? Or the rights to Skyrim?

They’ve bought what Bethesda had planned for the next fifteen to twenty years.

Hoping they confirm if this is exclusive to Xbox. I'm certainly thinking it's not based on the trailer. There's no mention of Xbox at all. This could have been a big "mic drop" moment for the Xbox brand. Us here know Xbox owns Bethesda, but the millions watching this trailer don't.
It's literally illegal for MS to confirm anything right now. Zenimax is still a third party publisher until the deal goes through which is why they are probably keeping all options open right now. I bet no one at Sony knows either which is why literally none of their peeps said a word about it.

Redlancet

Banned
i will give my two cents abot this things ( dont get used to it ,im more a a drivet tru shitposter guy)

i dont like the current state of machine games,they are talented devs with a bad tendency to the wrong kind of wokeness,and the two last games suffered from that and some horrid level design,also i dont like how the told a history ( and it amazes me how they got so much praise for the story on the new colossus) their exagerated histronic style works for a parody not much else,also i dont see a indiana jones games a a first person game,its nonsense4

Also the wole "indiana jones its about killing nazis" no,its a horrible take on what indiana jones its,he hates nazis (and who doesnt?) and they are perfect cartoony bad guys,but the indana jones spirint its about adventure,lost tombs,exotics places,indy its not a"killing"machine and is a man of the 40s, so the woke crowd are trying to cancel this character a long time ago,dont take this route or you will make a bad mistake,stay away for kindengarten politics if you gonna go into thart way do in a mature way

postdata

everyone in this forum who says this game its gonna be multi or exclusive its full of shit,thy dont know nothing,and nothing its written on stone on this times,and lol at the people "hoping " this remains exclusive,what a sad life you must have to get gratification for this kind of thing,get better not bitter

Last edited:

CamHostage

For comparison's sake, Microsoft purchased Minecraft for $2.5b, and they expected to recoup their investment within the next fiscal year. (Not sure if it did or not, but I'm sure it's paid for itself by now.)
And Microsoft continued to this day with putting Minecraft and its spinoffs on every competitor's platforms.

Market factors are complicated (unless there's a boatload of MTX, I don't see Indy generating Minecraft monies...,) but a $billion dollars somehow doesn't make demands like it used to. It's probably an exclusive, but Microsoft is an expert in playing the long game.

MS didn't expect to recoup their investment within one fiscal year. They expected to make more money than they otherwise would have made had that $2,500,000,000 continued to sit in the bank.

Idk what the annual interest is on 2.5B sitting in the bank, but lets just say it's 100 million. So basically MS expected to make more than 100 million off of Minecraft in the first fiscal year. So it makes sense for them to keep it on all platforms. Minecraft is so much more than games, the merchandise is huge.

Dang me, you're right. I still have it in my head as "recouping" from first hearing it wrong back then, but I've been seen the math breakdown before (good explanation tho) and should have known it before writing it this way. Apologies and thanks.

With Minecraft the messaging was pretty clear that it will remain multiplat,

With Bethesda the messaging was homely'ishly clear that they'll do whatever is best for the company and brands and ecosystems involved.

I do think a single-player (assuming) brand title will serve them best as an exclusive product (ala PS Spider-Man.)
I would not, however, be surprised by any move that MS makes with the Bethesda library, and so far it's been in their favor to wait and see what options are best for each product line. They know, at the very least, every one of these games will be out to Xbox consumers, beyond that is a numbers game where they're holding all the cards and can make whatever choice makes them happiest.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
For comparison's sake, Microsoft purchased Minecraft for $2.5b, and they expected to recoup their investment within the next fiscal year. (Not sure if it did or not, but I'm sure it's paid for itself by now.)
And Microsoft continued to this day with putting Minecraft and its spinoffs on every competitor's platforms.

The market factors are complicated (unless there's a boatload of MTX, I don't see Indy generating Minecraft monies...,) but a $billion dollars somehow doesn't make demands like it used to. It's probably an exclusive, but Microsoft is an expert in playing the long game.
With Minecraft the messaging was pretty clear that it will remain multiplat,

fermcr

yes but the contract for the game was already written up probably to be multiplat before they own the rights to Bathesda.....meaning they have to honor their original contract and agreement.

You are just speculating.
Disney owns the rights for the SpiderMan game (Sony owns the movie rights), but they allowed Sony to make it exclusive. Indiana Jones game can be exclusive or multiplat... your guess is as good as mine.

MarlboroRed

Day One.

I love Indiana Jones, and Machine Games is a solid studio. They will do right by the IP.

I didn't need a reason to rewatch the trilogy, but I'll gladly take it anyway.

Last edited:
Not saying it can't happen, but does Indy in 2021 have the fanbase that could potentially have this jump even into the ballpark of Tomb Raider or Uncharted at this stage? I get older folks here who grew up with the movies are stoked, but this isn't a character that younger people have any attachment to, let alone 3-4 years from now when we will also likely have already had next gen versions of both TR/Uncharted by then also. Happy to see people excited, but man 3-4 years is a long ways off for some of these posts talking like we are looking at something game changing :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I would probably say more so than tomb raider or uncharted...it’s an iconic series that has luckily not been beaten to death with sequels or spin offs...both those games have had too many sequels or the formula is a little stale

kyussman

I'm guessing this a a long way off....hope Wolfenstein gets a proper third game to end the current storyline first.

Top Bottom