• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Machinegames doing Indiana Jones for Bethesda

MilkyJoe

Why would I be I'm not invested in this since I already deal with Microsoft on PC. Like Cuphead, Microsoft will use these games once they're old to get more money with late ports.

Gamepass - Xbox - PC - Every Mobile Device on the planet = huge market shqare. The only way they are bringing the games to PS4 is via gamepass. That means Sony would have to agree to that

Mister Wolf

Gamepass - Xbox - PC - Every Mobile Device on the planet = huge market shqare. The only way they are bringing the games to PS4 is via gamepass. That means Sony would have to agree to that

They could go that route but I think your underestimating corporate greed. That same greed is why Horizon ended up on PC after it was used up and no longer a money maker on PS4. When a game is only worth $20 or less by that time why wouldn't you port in to someplace new and charge them way more. Its smart business.

Last edited:
They could have had a deal a while back, it depends on when this project started. If it was still in early talks with lucas arts, then who knows. The announcement was super early. Honestly until we know where they are in development it's hard to nail down.

It could be part of the whole deal with MS, or it could have been a prior deal bethesda had going on before negotiations even started. Who knows.

My point is now, starwars brand wise and gaming is way larger than it ever was in the 70's-80's. Even early games on super nintendo and Playstation pale in comparison to the sales of battlefront, jedi fallen order titles. Also seems EA still has a contract for starwars. So indy is free it seems, I do wonder since Indy has a connection to xbox from previous games, if this was something bethesda and xbox worked on together which maybe sealed the deal for their buyout.
I can't ever remember a time when Star War wasn't huge and the hype for Phantom Menace was huge massive and LucasArts looked to make an exclusive game for the N64/PC and along with various other games. That's Star Wars, Indy never been much of a major IP on the consoles and again we've had exclusive Indy games on various consoles before.

I doubt MS bought out Bethesda for an Indy game mind. It's not like its a system seller or the last Indy film is held up.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Why give it to Machinegames? Give it to DoubleFine and make a true successor (point and click adventure) to Fate of Atlantis. This is still one of my favorite games of all time. I can't see Indiana Jones being a good action game.
Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine was a decent sort of "halfway house" to the two approaches, it played very much like a Tomb Raider clone but some of the puzzle elements could have come right out of one those classic point and click games.

Now I want to play both the LucasArts Indy games again. Every Indy fan should play Fate of Atlantis, it's the best Indy film we never had :)

MilkyJoe

They could go that route but I think your underestimating corporate greed. That same greed is why Horizon ended up on PC after it was used up and no longer a money maker on PS4. When a game is only worth $20 or less by that time why wouldn't you port in to someplace new and charge them way more. Its smart business.

Well, you've never seen it go the other way, so don't hold your breath.

Papacheeks

Banned
I can't ever remember a time when Star War wasn't huge and the hype for Phantom Menace was huge massive and LucasArts looked to make an exclusive game for the N64/PC and along with various other games. That's Star Wars, Indy never been much of a major IP on the consoles and again we've had exclusive Indy games on various consoles before.

I doubt MS bought out Bethesda for an Indy game mind. It's not like its a system seller or the last Indy film is held up.

You misunderstand me, I'm saying the collaboration they did fir Indy and maybe a couple other games sealed their relationship for the buyout. They talked about microsoft being a great long term partner and honestly outside of Elder scrolls/fallout i didn't know of much collab. But maybe bethesda talked with Microsoft when they were talking to Lucas arts for a indy game since OG xbox has connected to Indy?

VulcanRaven

No.

It's actually good for the industry if there are big licensed exclusive titles.

Keeps the respective manufacturers (and the studios making these games) on their toes. No time or room for complacency and it should lead to better quality games.
Maybe but its not good for players. Most people buy one console only. I wouldn't want a situation where Sony has Spider-Man and Microsoft has Batman. That would be awful. I'm sure Xbox owners are annoyed that they can't play Spider-Man.

Last edited:

pasterpl

nah,thats a poor attempt ill give you 3 of 10,be BETTER not bitter,plastic boxes? like this one? u arent fooling anyone dude,silenced for being a mediocre
wDL7QEU.jpg

good purchase, but your post history shows that you are skewed towards one brand. I have got at home gaming pc, ps vita, PS4 pro (with almost 30 Sony exclusives, xbone x, Xbox series x and GameCube), I also own ps2 slim, Xbox 360, gba, Dreamcast and considering getting switch. Plenty of games and game time across all platforms. I am saying all this not to brag, but I was called multiple times “xbot” etc. I admit that I have preference toward specific brand and my post history shows clearly which brand it is, platforms I own have nothing to do with this. I at least “own it”. You on the other hand trying to paint yourself as something different than you are.

Papacheeks

Banned
Maybe but its not good for players. Most people buy one console only. I wouldn't want a situation where Sony has Spider-Man and Microsoft has Batman. That would be awful. I'm sure Xbox owners are annoyed that they can't play Spider-Man.

It's no different than the exclusive stuff on streaming services. HBO max is the only place to watch WB/DC films. If you are that butt hurt get a PC.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Oh?! Interesting. The original Nathan Drake lol.
Lol true.

From a marketing perspective I wonder if it would be beneficial to come up with a more generic title for these games?

Nathan Drake stars in Uncharted games. They aren't call Nathan Drake: [subtitle]

Same for Lara Croft. Her main games are call Tomb Raider she just happens to be the star.

I feel the name Indiana Jones (although I love the old movies) doesn't have the same marketing appeal for a game title but maybe I'm just crazy?

These should be [Game Series Title] staring Indiana Jones. If that makes sense.

Rant aside I'm still super excited to see what they create with this IP.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

It's no different than the exclusive stuff on streaming services. HBO max is the only place to watch WB/DC films. If you are that butt hurt get a PC.
You don't have to pay hundreds of euros to watch content from streaming services so its not the same thing.

Papacheeks

Banned
You don't have to pay hundreds of euros to watch content from streaming services so its not the same thing.

Hbo max is super expensive, and to watch these movies at home from Pay per view like vudu, you pay full price for the film which is $29.99. I think the point people are making is exclusives actually are good especially if it's organically created.

It would suck if something like batman was exclusive but I would then play it on what ever platform it was on.

Well Sony is actively working on fucking over Xbox only gamers so I'm not going to feel too bad if MS decides to say fuck you and release everything non MMO on xbox/pc only.

driqe

You can get gears 5 (The latest AAA Xbox exclusive) for 10$.

When a game is only worth $10 or less why wouldn't you port in to someplace new and charge them way more? It's smart business.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

When a game is only worth $10 or less why wouldn't you port in to someplace new and charge them way more? It's smart business.

You make a good point. We will see what route they go. Even if they do have plans to release the games down the line on other consoles they sure as shit won't tell anyone until they are ready to release it.

kuncol02

Banned
I feel the name Indiana Jones (although I love the old movies) doesn't have the same marketing appeal for a game title but maybe I'm just crazy?
Yes. You are crazy.

Because you want to keep people in your ecosystem where they can buy gamepass and you get 30% of every dollar they spend. Is that hard to understand?

It's literally illegal for MS to confirm anything right now. Zenimax is still a third party publisher until the deal goes through which is why they are probably keeping all options open right now. I bet no one at Sony knows either which is why literally none of their peeps said a word about it.

I don't see why them being third party would make it illegal to put Xbox in the trailer.

NullZ3r0

Banned
To be fair there's a difference between having a huge franchise on the no.1 console platform, versus the no.3 platform.

But as with all Zenimax games it'll be on PC so that'll make up some of the difference.
This is nothing but fanboy pot-shotting and it has nothing to do with my point. However, if this was the case, why don't developers just make games for Playstation. Why even release for other platforms at all. I mean, 100 million customers is enough, isn't it?

NullZ3r0

Banned
What's garbage is your take. Xbox didn't spend 7.5 billion to make games exclusive. They did it for Game pass day one. What don't you understand about Xbox not having exclusives anymore?
This makes zero sense. If MS paid $7.5 billion to have games "appear first on GamePass" someone needs to be fired. This is nothing but closet port begging.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Um, Spiderman says hello?
It's different. Disney can't ignore the player base of PlayStation!

breaking bad he cant keep getting away with this GIF

Cool, is it going to be an uncharted knockoff with perfunctory climbing sections with slightly discolored ledges so you know exactly where to climb which makes traversal a pointless chore? Because that's the only way action games are these days. Maybe some narrow corridors to squeeze through as well? Maybe a derivative skill tree from tomb raider?

AAA has no interesting 3rd person action game ideas. Looking forward to hiding in tall grass to stealth.

7e4.jpg

You have zero evidence about the crap you are posting.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Don't feel bad boy. This will cheer you up

Nah son, the only thing is getting wrecked is xbox relevance on any public space, i understand that brings so much bitternes
Both of you knock this juvenile console war tripe off.

Thread: Quit antagonizing one another and challenge the opinions civilly.

Thank you.

This message was brought to you by the estate of Roy Chapman Andrews*
Not really, but look him up- pretty cool history.

OnionSnake

Banned

The cancelled Indiana Jones project.

Ooh that Euphoria engine was a big deal from what I recall, all those years ago.😜🔥

Euphoria required you to send them all of your source code and they would code the game along with you if I remember correctly, which is why force unleashed only used it for the doors? There was some big reason the only “big” game to use it was that backbreaker football game lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't see why them being third party would make it illegal to put Xbox in the trailer.

It wouldn't. Its just people making excuses.

Until the deal is given the legal greenlight Zenimax management is free to do whatever they want, including which platforms to support going forwards. They are free to make exclusivity deals with whomever they choose, all they have to do is pick things that won't interfere with the goals and objectives of their soon-to-be new owner.

You'd have to be a fool to believe that in the interregnum between the transfer being agreed upon by the buying/selling parties, and the deal being legally approved and done Zenimax as a corporate entity is in a state of limbo and unable to make future-focussed decisions.

Any project announced now wont likely hit the market before 2023, so if anyone is hedging their bets its Zenimax current management team because they have to make contingency plans in case the sale does fall through. Were they to go all-in on MS right now, they'd devalue themselves to anyone but MS. The simple truth is that there are other big fish out there who have the funds to buy them whole.

Its pretty dumb not to think that Google, Amazon, or Tencent among others wouldn't be interested in acquiring Zenimax' IP to bolster their own businesses.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
By the way, you remember this Marcus Sellers guy from the beginning of the thread?

Looks like another solid insider who knew about the Ubisoft Star Wars game lol.

For those wondering he was the one who said that this game is multiplat(now deleted tweet in page 1 post #39) and his words since have became gospel.

Last edited:

Joho79

The way I see it, if ms are planning to leave hardware business then sure go multiplat. But if they plan to stick around why give games to other platforms and lose the incentive for people to get a Xbox. Would be stupid me think.

Top Bottom