• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macronix: We will provide memory products for NX

Why 50GB cartridges though ? Its not like Nintendo games needs more than 25GB for the biggest one. 32GB is enough, and you can bet most will use 16GB or even 8GB.

3rd parties ? That ship has sailed a long ago.

They could get away with even smaller than that. Internet connections are so ubiquitous these days that they could put the bare minimum of data for the game to run and then let the user download higher detail assets (which could differ depending on whether it's being played on a handheld or home console).

ZOONAMI

Macronix's 3DS cards are nice but I don't see the costs working out for a home console. Will be interesting to see if this means anything for the game media.

What? Vita is not digital-only.

Carrying around carts is not really a pain in the ass and a lot of us like having physical media.

Yeah see my edit, I honestly forget vita has physical, never bought a physical title and they stock very few titles in stores around me anyway.

ZOONAMI

Picasso.gif

LOL what is this and what does it mean?

AdanVC

NX leaks yisss! This one from a big company and not from a random dude wich is more reliable and exciting. So this pretty much confirms that NX will launch in 2016, right?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
NX leaks yisss! This one from a big company and not from a random dude wich is more reliable and exciting. So this pretty much confirms that NX will launch in 2016, right?
Due to the broken English, I cannot tell if the "NX in 2016" part is from the reporter or something CY Lu said. We will have to wait until someone fluent in Mandarin can provide a better translation (of both the article and webcast).

Thraktor

As already noted, Macronix provide the 3DS cart ROMs (specifically their XtraROM with custom DRM). Given that they note "Key customer is planning new generation platform" on the slide relating to their ROM business, we can basically take it as confirmation of three things:

1. The handheld will release this year
2. The handheld exists under the NX codename
3. The handheld uses game cards

The first was already reported, but this is basically extra confirmation on top of that. The second isn't necessarily a big deal, but further indicates that NX refers to both a handheld and a home console. The third one may seem obvious, but it rules out a download-only platform, which is worth noting.

Macronix also product NAND flash, although as far as I'm aware Nintendo haven't used this, and have instead opted for Samsung to provide the flash memory for both the Wii U and n3DS, so they would be the presumptive main supplier (although they may mix-and-match, as they use the eMMC standard).

The DSP used in the Gamecube and Wii was designed by Macronix. It's possible that a derivative of it may have been used in the Wii U, although the IP for it may be outright owned by Nintendo at this stage (Macronix don't seem to have designed DSPs for a long time).

Macronix may provide some other minor components in the 3DS or Wii U, but I haven't been able to find any in teardowns. There's a small EEPROM chip on the Wii U MCM next to the CPU and GPU dies, so they may be the supplier for that.

As already noted, Macronix provide the 3DS cart ROMs (specifically their XtraROM with custom DRM). Given that they note "Key customer is planning new generation platform" on the slide relating to their ROM business, we can basically take it as confirmation of three things:

The first was already reported, but this is basically extra confirmation on top of that. The second isn't necessarily a big deal, but further indicates that NX refers to both a handheld and a home console. The third one may seem obvious, but it rules out a download-only platform, which is worth noting.

Macronix also product NAND flash, although as far as I'm aware Nintendo haven't used this, and have instead opted for Samsung to provide the flash memory for both the Wii U and n3DS, so they would be the presumptive main supplier (although they may mix-and-match, as they use the eMMC standard).

The DSP used in the Gamecube and Wii was designed by Macronix. It's possible that a derivative of it may have been used in the Wii U, although the IP for it may be outright owned by Nintendo at this stage (Macronix don't seem to have designed DSPs for a long time).

Macronix may provide some other minor components in the 3DS or Wii U, but I haven't been able to find any in teardowns. There's a small EEPROM chip on the Wii U MCM next to the CPU and GPU dies, so they may be the supplier for that.

Perfect if it's just the handheld this year.

Davey Cakes

NX is such a great name, I know it's not the point of the thread but hearing it in a proper press release sounds really good.
I like "NX" as a name too.

That said, overuse of "X" is a bit bothersome. I mean, that's Nintendo thing these days but MS already has X in their console's name.

The philosophy of "Nintendo Cross" seems a bit more meaningful though.

AdanVC

Rösti;193565987 said:
Due to the broken English, I cannot tell if the "NX in 2016" part is from the reporter or something CY Lu said. We will have to wait until someone fluent in Mandarin can provide a better translation (of both the article and webcast).

Oh I see. Thank you for all the research on all things NX btw!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rösti;193561136 said:
That Macronix would be supplying products for the NX has been known for quite a while, but I think this could be the first time they comment on it.

I believe Macronix supplied some DSP and Mask ROM (?) for Wii U.

Just thought about this...IIRC, wasn't the older Digitimes article about first NX initial shipment's forecast (the ludicrous 20 millions) the first piece of article with any mention of Macronix being involved in the development? It could have been assumed that Macronix would've been involved anyway, but I think the first public confirmation (or, at least, the first article stating Macronix is involved) was the one from Digitimes. Is that correct, or did we have earlier articles / news on the matter?

Banned

Now only the console needs carts. :)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So many greenhorns in this thread lol

tumblr_lfym0oC3881qct27vo1_500.png
I've been hoping to see an updated version of the classic Fifth Element Wii U GIF from 2011 (I think), but for NX.

Just thought about this...IIRC, wasn't the older Digitimes article about first NX initial shipment's forecast (the ludicrous 20 millions) the first piece of article with any mention of Macronix being involved in the development? It could have been assumed that Macronix would've been involved anyway, but I think the first public confirmation (or, at least, the first article stating Macronix is involved) was the one from Digitimes. Is that correct, or did we have earlier articles / news on the matter?
I believe Digitimes was first, yeah.

Ansatz

Haven't you guys seen The Fifth Element?? I'm disappointed

Rösti;193567985 said:
I've been hoping to see an updated version of the classic Fifth Element Wii U GIF from 2011 (I think), but for NX.

That gif is hilarious now that Shenmue 3 is actually a thing. I don't know if FF7 Remake was on there too

JCX

NX is such a great name, I know it's not the point of the thread but hearing it in a proper press release sounds really good.

I Like it too, but has Nintendo ever kept a codename through to release? Off the top of my head, DS, Wii, GCN, N64, and Wii u all had other codenames.

Mpl90

Rösti;193567985 said:

I believe Digitimes was first, yeah.

In that case, here's the original Digitimes article, where other companies were listed alongside Macronix as involved, according to their sources.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

Nintendo reportedly is looking to ship 20 million Nintendo NX in the first year. The shipment volume of Wii U is estimated at two million units in 2015, according to Digitimes Research.

Component suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, PixArt Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Electronics, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech, are also expected to land orders from Nintendo for the new console, the sources added.

Reminder: the shipment forecast from Digitimes has been revised to 12 millions in a subsequent article.

Also, someone summons Mandarin speakers, for the love of Palutena

Davey Cakes

They'll change it to something goofy, count on it.
We'll see. Wii U was a bad name mostly for marketing reasons, but I'm not sure it was THAT much worse than "Project Café."

Wii was definitely a step up from "Revolution," both from marketing and philosophical standpoints.

jmizzal

Yup so def one version of NX is coming this year

we have more info about NX from other companies then Nintendo seems like lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
CARTRIDGES!? WHAT

If this is the console..oh boy...if its not the console, which makes more sense, NX better be a damn fine handheld

L Thammy

So, this is for cartridges?

Would it be feasible for the console and handhelds to play the same cartridges (maybe with some console-exclusive ones)? I do remember discussing it much earlier on GAF.

Papacheeks

Banned

Would it be feasible for the console and handhelds to play the same cartridges (maybe with some console-exclusive ones)? I do remember discussing it much earlier on GAF.

This makes more sense to me. Imagine both versions on one cart. You buy the game you get both versions since they want a connected environment between both platforms.

Makes more sense then somebody buying the game twice for the console and handheld.

kingkaiser

That gif is hilarious now that Shenmue 3 is actually a thing. I don't know if FF7 Remake was on there too

Just Final Fantasy XV...

The5thNintendoElement.gif

Come to think of it, we will probably see Half Life 3 mentioned again in a new one after so many years...

laugh_crying_kristen_bell.gif

Mpl90

Trying to hear the conference call, I think I've heard NX being said starting from around minute 54. It's all mandarine, though.

If both main devices don't share the same physical media for games, it would already confirm some upcoming bs. All of it needs to play the same games. If they are just doubling down on different versions of the same or similar titles, Nx will be another failure.

beril

I fail to see how $3.91 per unit for cartridge is "within spitting distance" of $2.24 per unit for a BD.

If you factor in the cost savings from removing the disc drive from the console it might actually makes sense. The highest attach rates for a Nintendo console is around 9 games/system. So basically by those numbers that's a difference of $15; way less than a BR drive.

Also if the carts are fast enough to run games without needing to install, they could again go for smaller internal storage, just enough for patches, DLC, some indies and VC games; and force the minority who want to go all digital to but an external drive.

If both main devices don't share the same physical media for games, it would already confirm some upcoming bs. All of it needs to play the same games. If they are just doubling down on different versions of the same or similar titles, Nx will be another failure.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for different versions of the same game. Then again I can't with confidence totally dismiss it!

If you factor in the cost savings from removing the disc drive from the console it might actually makes sense. The highest attach rates for a Nintendo console is around 9 games/system. So basically by those numbers that's a difference of $15; way less than a BR drive.

Also if the carts are fast enough to run games without needing to install, they could again go for smaller internal storage, just enough for patches, DLC, some indies and VC games; and force the minority who want to go all digital to but an external drive.

Keep talking baby your making me happy.

Neoxon

They can now, flash storage has gotten significantly cheaper over the last few years.

Banned
If that happened at the same time as the PS4 version I wouldn't know which version to get...
NX obviously. The possibility of taking it on the go, and having Nintendo stars (achievements). It's like gamerscore but when you "platinum" the game you get a grand star.

You got 50 stars!

You've unlocked all the stars and gotten a grand star!

latest

Top Bottom