• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macronix: We will provide memory products for NX

Cipherr

so much for the people who think it is coming out in 2017.

I still think it will be 2017. Memory suppliers do not make the final call on hardware launch dates. Nintendo does. I still think its not happening for the console version this year.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
They could always put 5GB on the card then make you download the other 40GB once you put it in your NX.
People lost their shit with the original Xbox One reveal that required an online check once in 24 hours. How do you think people would react to not only online being a requirement for every game, but also full downloads being mandatory?

atbigelow

3rd parties would revolt in face of cartridges though. Nintendo with their ~5 or less GB games wouldn't care as much, but it would categorically block stuff like the next Watch Dogs (as low of chances as Nintendo has getting stuff like that off the bat anyway)

You're right that people wouldn't like that small of card. Especially Nintendo, since they have plenty of games way over 5GB.

Watch Dogs was about 14GB. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was about 12GB.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm assuming Nintendo has given up trying to get 3rd party games like Assassin's Creed and COD. And will try to get their handheld 3rd party partners to make console games (cross buy, same cartridge works on both systems). If that's the case they are probably going to go with cartridges 8GB for small games to 16GB for medium games to 32GB for large games.

asagami_

Banned
People lost their shit with the original Xbox One reveal that required an online check once in 24 hours. How do you think people would react to not only online being a requirement for every game, but also full downloads being mandatory?

It's not mandatory today? They call them "patchs", but anyway.

Ogodei

You're right that people wouldn't like that small of card. Especially Nintendo, since they have plenty of games way over 5GB.

Watch Dogs was about 14GB. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was about 12GB.

Really? Wild. That game had to have been poorly optimized. Isn't Xenoblade X only in the 20s?

I'm assuming Nintendo has given up trying to get 3rd party games like Assassin's Creed and COD. And will try to get their handheld 3rd party partners to make console games (cross buy, same cartridge works on both systems). If that's the case they are probably going to go with cartridges 8GB for small games to 16GB for medium games to 32GB for large games.

I'm pretty sure Macronix lists their ROM products as up to 32 Gigabits. This matches up with the 4 Gigabyte cartridges currently used by some 3DS games. We have yet to see an 8 GB 3DS cartridge. Although early reports claimed that they were in the works, they never seem to have materialized.

Mr Swine

Banned
Isn't it cheaper to produce a cartridge or Game card that doesn't have any form of storage for save files like it does on DS and 3DS? Also won't having a NX console use cartridges make it a lot smaller and cheaper rather than having a custom BD drive?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Solid state media is superior so I'd be fine with this, Nintendo must have found some cost savings to be had if they're really doing this for both form factors, cause consumers will not pay more for cards than larger PS4/XB1 discs.

Just don't expect them to be physically larger than 3DS cards/carts so don't get N64 images in your head.

Possibly no HDMI out either although they could find another manufacturer for an HDMI controller. Handheld only this year? As long as whatever it is is not digital only (I know Macronix developed DS and 3DS cards) then it's all good. I was fine with discs but if this can work for console again too....good.

No HDMI out because it's a hybrid god damn it.

They'll have a separate HDMI signal sender for the TV play. It's all falling into place for me.

A combined handheld and console library makes me extremely excited. No need to fulfil multiple franchise installments to both sets of consumers, hopefully this leads to Nintendo covering more franchises and it can only cause software sales to rise. There are a lot of handheld Nintendo fans who don't buy Nintendo consoles so it'll be interesting to see how those guys effect the sales of games that are traditionally on consoles.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Übermatik;193590287 said:
InPhase Technologies doesn't exist anymore, and all of their patents (apart from the joint patents they had with Nintendo) have been aquired by Akonia Holographics. Whether Nintendo and Akonia have any relationship I don't know.

There's this however:

5) ROM (6 Issued US Patents)

Akonia has a number of patents pertaining to read-only holographic drives and replication of read-only media for content distribution (US8786923, US8141782). A compact prototype design developed for Nintendo is capable of storing 5GB of information on a postage stamp-sized ROM card (US7551336).
Source: http://akoniaholographics.com/patents/

jonno394

It's getting close. So hyped to hear more about what Nintendo have planned.

Cartridges are great. No disc drive whirring to put up with.

Memory, you say? I wonder if they are reviving the

XvlIVQ1.jpg
I have no idea why Nintendo never did that again. It breathed so much new life into my N64.

Deku89

Rösti;193590500 said:
InPhase Technologies doesn't exist anymore, and all of their patents (apart from the joint patents they had with Nintendo) have been aquired by Akonia Holographics. Whether Nintendo and Akonia have any relationship I don't know.

There's this however:

Source: http://akoniaholographics.com/patents/

Holographic amiibo possibility? And I thought I could stop getting those little things . . .

Thraktor

I'm pretty sure Macronix lists their ROM products as up to 32 Gigabits. This matches up with the 4 Gigabyte cartridges currently used by some 3DS games. We have yet to see an 8 GB 3DS cartridge. Although early reports claimed that they were in the works, they never seem to have materialized.

Well, a card could contain multiple rom chips. Furthermore, I wouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to what sizes they have on their website. Nintendo is most likely the largest buyer in the world, by a large margin, of multi-gigabit ROMs, so it's quite likely that Macronix won't tool up to produce given ROM sizes until Nintendo starts putting in orders for them. Macronix were apparently ready to produce 8GB 3DS cards back in 2010, so there's no reason to believe they shouldn't be able to produce 64GB or even 128GB cards today (although at what cost is a different matter).

Why do people keep saying cartridges? It'll use SD cards or some proprietary variant a la the DS

The DS/3DS doesn't use a variant of SD cards (which are NAND flash memory), they use mask ROMs produced by Macronix, and the OP seems to confirm that the NX handheld will continue to do so.

Edit: That said, Nintendo's term for them is "game card", rather than cartridge.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone point me in the direction of where 2016 was actually stated? Because it's definitely not in that slide
As I stated before: Due to the broken English, I cannot tell if the "NX in 2016" part is from the reporter or something CY Lu said. We will have to wait until someone fluent in Mandarin can provide a better translation (of both the article and webcast).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I actually want N64-sized cartridges. Put the real card somewhere inside it tucked away nice and safe but let me at least jam the thing into a cartridge slot.

LaserHawk

If Nintendo wants the same physical medium used across consoles & handhelds, they have to go with cartridges.

So here's something I thought about: What if there's still discs for the console and cartridges for the handheld, but the console also has a slot for the cartridges? Maybe there are benefits to playing your handheld games in the console. Of course, games on the disc wouldn't be able to go over to the handheld, but these would be games designed for the more powerful console anyway.

EDIT- One other possibility for a universal medium: entirely digital... not that I think Nintendo would do this.

Neoxon

So here's something I thought about: What if there's still discs for the console and cartridges for the handheld, but the console also has a slot for the cartridges? Maybe there are benefits to playing your handheld games in the console. Of course, games on the disc wouldn't be able to go over to the handheld, but these would be games designed for the more powerful console anyway.
That would still result in 2 versions of the same game being sold in stores, which would be counter-intuitive to the whole "shared platform" thing.

Top Bottom