• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macronix: We will provide memory products for NX

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just listened to it. He didn't say the NX is launching this year.

NX part is in the Q&A section

Wasn't there a patent/thread a few months ago suggesting that the same game cards could be used in both a handheld and a console? I think I like the idea.

Edit: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1099932

That patent was describing a digital distribution only console, it barely mentioned cards at all. It never said that games could be loaded off the carts (only save data); everyone misconstrued what the patent was actually describing.

LaserHawk

That would still result in 2 versions of the same game being sold in stores, which would be counter-intuitive to the whole "shared platform" thing.

Sort of... I imagine what a developer would do is decid which game they were making: handheld or console. A handheld game would work in both the handheld and console, but the console game would only work in the console. When the handheld game is in the console, it could have certain benefits, like better lighting/shadows, better resolution, or some new features.

When they talk about the the console and handheld being "shared platform", I don't think it means one of them can do everything the other can do and vice versa... I think it means they use the same architecture but have different specs... sort of like two PCs that both use Windows 10, but one of them is a lot more powerful.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just listened to it. He didn't say the NX is launching this year.

NX part is in the Q&A section
Thank you. Then I think we can safely assume that the 2016 part is a fabrication of the reporter. Not that NX launching in 2016 is farfetched, but still.

I am a Chinese. Hope this translation is better. Feel free to correct this translation if you find any mistakes.

Prestigious Japanese videogame console maker Nintendo will launch a new console called NX this year. General Manager of Macronix, CY Lu, said Macronix will provide products for NX and that Macronix has considerable expectations to NX.

In the afternoon, Macronix had held an online conference for investors. As Nintendo is going to launch new console NX this year, investors concern about if Macronix, which have a long-term cooperative relationship with Nintendo, is still part of NX's supply chain.

CY Lu said Macronix will supply memory slots for NX, and that the company has considerable expectation to NX.

Even though CY Lu declined to comment whether the supplied products are ROM, he said he expects ROM sales this year will be exceptional.

I also believe that it is the writer who assume NX is coming out this year.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you, Jim_Cacher, greatly appreciated. I have now included your translation in the OP.

Update: The edited translation has been included in the OP.

Dude

image.php

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I actually want N64-sized cartridges. Put the real card somewhere inside it tucked away nice and safe but let me at least jam the thing into a cartridge slot.

He he.

Maybe every copy of a game can come with an N64 shell that goes into the HDMI signal sender.

You are welcomed! I have just edit the translation as I forgot to add back "this year" in the first sentence. Could you edit again in the OP? Thanks!

Edit: I see the change. Thank you!

Is this refering to this article? Oh shit...

How did I miss that article.

Mr. Hayase declined to specify what size of display Nintendo is likely to use for its new device, but said he expects the product to be a stand-alone portable gaming machine, such as the 3DS, rather than a display-equipped controller for a console such as Wii U.

I'm actually surprised. Didn't think it would be ready.

Part of it, the handheld is. So I am guessing that the handheld with be a full dual analog 540p screen that takes "carts". The console version will be late 2016' early 2017 launch. The console will take the carts render up to 1080p same input etc. This way nintendo has doubled its in house development for the console as the games will be playable on the console version.

Question is what about going from the console to the handheld for console games? Streaming maybe? They already have the tech.

virtualS

It looks more and more likely that we've come full circle to a time where cartridges make sense once again.

I'd wager that by the middle of the NX lifecycle cost per megabyte for solid state memory will be less than for optical.

People bemoaning tiny cartridges have no idea what they're talking about.

There are massive advantages to getting rid of that optical drive also... but I've been harping on about this for over a year.

SalvaPot

I am a Chinese. Hope this translation is better. Feel free to correct this translation if you find any mistakes.

I also believe that it is the writer who assume NX is coming out this year.

This is much better, thanks a lot!

So I guess is a safe bet to assume both handheld and console will run on a cartridge. Or at least the Console will have a slot to insert a cartridge.

Neoxon

This is much better, thanks a lot!

So I guess is a safe bet to assume both handheld and console will run on a cartridge. Or at least the Console will have a slot to insert a cartridge.
It'll probably be the former, seeing as Panasonic is nowhere to be found in the list of manufacturers.

SalvaPot

It'll probably be the former, seeing as Panasonic is nowhere to be found in the list of manufacturers.

I didn't noticed that. But that could also be just for the handheld.

Hopefully it is pure cartridge, I am always paranoid with my discs. Cartridge rarely if ever gives me trouble.

I wonder if its still hard to develop for cartridges as it was in the N64 era, I guess its not since nowadays most games are also released digitally, but honestly I don't know what I am talking about in this particular case.

Fredrik

Interesting! After reading through this whole thread it sounds like Nintendo will at least launch the NX handheld this year, the NX consoles doesn't seem to be included in the 2016 NX launch though going by the suppliers and nuggets of news/rumours I've seen posted so far. But it seems odd to delay the console launch considering WiiU is the one selling badly and not 3DS. Hmm.

atbigelow

I'm really really really hoping the NX console uses the same game cards as the NX handheld.

Anyone know what other technologies might be at work with the game cards? Flash vs. potentially updated ROM tech used in 3DS game cards? Macronix only (publicly) offers ROM up to 32Gb (4GB) chunks. They'll need to at least hit 32GB total for these cards to power a console.

Although wikipedia states the 3DS game cards using Macronix's older mask ROM instead of their newer Xtra ROM.

Anyway, talking out of my ass here. Anyone got more of the skinny on this?

Tarin02543

How about this

a SNES like console with an aluminium body using cartridges. The controller is small but stil has analogue functions.

It's capable of 4K 2D graphics over hdmi/dp , it has a dedicated soundchip.

A cartridge that works for both systems would be amazeballs! The tv unit uses the higher quality assets while the handheld uses lower, your saves move with the game.

Nintendo pls!

we are going to be sad when all of our hopes are crushed and NX ends up being an android app

DizzyCrow

What if the cartridge only stores the hh version of the game so when you put it on the console you can either play as is or you can download the other components (HD assets, splitscreen multi-player, etc.)

Mr Swine

Banned
How is Nintendo going to solve the problem of developers just wanting to make NX console games and not make it compatible with the NX handheld? I think that most Japanese developers would welcome being able to have a single game work on 2 different platforms so it can reach out to so many people as possible.

But let's say that Nintendo announces that games made for the handheld and console will work on the other platform and vice verse. But then Gamefreak is like "we want the mainline Pokemon games to be handheld exclusive only" and release it with a "Handheld exclusive" stamp on it. What I'm trying to say is that if people buy either handheld or console and all games work on it and then comes a game like Pokemon that doesn't, how is Nintendo going to solve that? Isn't that a bit risky and makes consumer unsure if game X really work on hardware A or B?

Or am I just overthinking this?

Top Bottom