• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max 2 game is or was in development at Avalanche Studios

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
max-4e53.jpg

The tweet shows digital researcher Wendy W. Fox at Avalanche’s New York offices, having her face scanned using photogrammetry cameras, for what she describes as ‘Mad Max 2’.

The photo was apparently taken before the pandemic but other than stating that her face would have been used for a ‘rebel’ character there’s no information on what the game is and whether it’s still in development.

It is possible she may have been mistaken about what game she was been scanned for, as Avalanche also worked on the Mad Max-esque Rage 2. However, that was released in May 2019 and so unless she’s underplaying how much earlier this was before the pandemic started, it doesn’t seem likely that it was that.

3D scanning technology was not used for the original Mad Max, in fact its poor quality character models were a notable flaw, so it does make sense that it would be something that Avalanche would want to improve in a sequel.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yep I can believe that. I'm sure the game did well in the long run especially on PC.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Still haven't played the first one (I did grab it from PS+ though). Always had other things to catch up or finish first.

What games are the closest to it in terms of gameplay and open world?

Kuranghi

Still haven't played the first one (I did grab it from PS+ though). Always had other things to catch up or finish first.

What games are the closest to it in terms of gameplay and open world?

Its tough to compare because it might sound bad on paper if I describe exactly what the open world is like, when in practice if you love getting lost in a world thats really well realised in terms of art style, sound and graphics, you like a blend of mostly arcadey but some simulation style driving (you can do a forward and side "slam" move thats very silly, but also you must consider what tires you use to aid on or offroad driving) and pulpy story and dialogue just like the films you'll really like it.

I absolutely loved just going around with the main NPC pal taking down camps, destroying property, finding hidden cars (and driving them back to the strongholds), finding special scrap for upgrading the fortresses and generally just listening to him talk, and seeing the beautiful map. Even there when I'm describing finding "scrap" for upgrades it sounds groan worthy in todays over saturated ubisoft-like open world games market.

If you just want to mainline the quest you definitely can but I think clearing the map (within reason, lots of small stuff you can skip) and it being this lonely long, depressing tonally journey is part of why I liked it so much. Like it has a really melancholic feeling to the whole thing that perfectly captures the world of Mad Max imo, its more like Mad Max 2 and 3 ofc, as all things that are said to be "mad max-like" are. A lot of the dialogue does also capture the feeling of the first film too though, which I liked.

Its a game I suggest you allot a ton of time for, or accept that you could be playing it for 10 weeks if you can only game 6-8 hours a week to get the full experience. Its one of those games where it has quite a few flaws in gameplay/combat but you keep playing because the actual act of moving around the open world and exploring is just so immersive and fun. I say its all really depressing ha, but there is still a lot of levity via ragdolls, dialogue, and the gallows humor.

The writing from the main NPC friend is absolutely brilliant tonally and very well written & delivered, some of the best in computer games I'd say.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Its tough to compare because it might sound bad on paper if I describe exactly what the open world is like, when in practice if you love getting lost in a world thats really well realised in terms of art style, sound and graphics, you like a blend of mostly arcadey but some simulation style driving (you can do a forward and side "slam" move thats very silly, but also you must consider what tires you use to aid on or offroad driving) and pulpy story and dialogue just like the films you'll really like it.

I absolutely loved just going around with the main NPC pal taking down camps, destroying property, finding hidden cars (and driving them back to the strongholds), finding special scrap for upgrading the fortresses and generally just listening to him talk, and seeing the beautiful map. Even there when I'm describing finding "scrap" for upgrades it sounds groan worthy in todays over saturated ubisoft-like open world games market.

If you just want to mainline the quest you definitely can but I think clearing the map (within reason, lots of small stuff you can skip) and it being this lonely long, depressing tonally journey is part of why I liked it so much. Like it has a really melancholic feeling to the whole thing that perfectly captures the world of Mad Max imo, its more like Mad Max 2 and 3 ofc, as all things that are said to be "mad max-like" are. A lot of the dialogue does also capture the feeling of the first film too though, which I liked.

Its a game I suggest you allot a ton of time for, or accept that you could be playing it for 10 weeks if you can only game 6-8 hours a week to get the full experience. Its one of those games where it has quite a few flaws in gameplay/combat but you keep playing because the actual act of moving around the open world and exploring is just so immersive and fun. I say its all really depressing ha, but there is still a lot of levity via ragdolls, dialogue, and the gallows humor.

The writing from the main NPC friend is absolutely brilliantly tonally and very well written and delivered, some of the best in computer games I'd say.
Thanks for detailed post. Definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy as long as I wasn't playing it right after another open world game.

Beechos

I have a hard time seeing a sequel for this game. Not only was it not a critical success, it also wasnt a commerical success. On top of that potential licensing fees for the i.p. i remember talk about a sequel for the movie but havent heards any news on that at all recently thats the only shot i can picture a sequel to the game to go along with a movie sequel.

Lunarorbit

If you haven't had a chance to play this, do. I bought it on sale in December to give it another go one of these days. Hope there's a sequel.

The setting was amazing and the back story presented through journals and pictures was great. I don't always get into the background with games like this but I enjoyed exploring for details about the world.

Mad Max truly deserved a better treatment. It was a really good game with enjoyable exploration, decent combat, superb atmosphere, great driving mechanics and a really good story.
I really don't understand why that game was received so harshly.

I played through most of the game but never got around to completing it all the way. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would welcome a sequel, though I doubt it will happen.

dcx4610

First game was fantastic. I really didn't think much of it going in but I had recently watched the Mad Max movies for the first time and figured I'd try the game since it was cheap.

I ended up putting in nearly 60 hours. It was just a really fun game and it was addicting finding scraps and upgrading your car and gear. Definitely not the type of game I'd like on paper ended up being a comfort game like EverQuest or World of Warcraft. Just relaxing to hop on, drive around and do some scrapping.

Mad Max was great! I'd totally be up for a new one as long as they stuck to what made the first one great. I ended up with over 90 hours in it and I don't remember ever using fast travel because the car was a blast to drive around in. It would be nice to see them add to the combat though and maybe a bit of spit and polish to smooth out the rough spots.

Great looking and performing game too. It paid proper homage to the movies while still being it's own thing.

2yMeD5k.jpg

NeEVxZu.jpg

6WHUAMy.jpg

i4Odg2v.jpg

nGs1M8x.jpg

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I would like this very much. Hopefully with the Nemesis system! Surely Warner would let a studio other than Monolith use that system, so long as it's another WB game, right?

Top Bottom