• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max + Spotify = it's good

Damn, it just works so well, something about this game in particular. I think it's the vast open wastelands matched with the quiet internal soundtrack of the game. I put on the Fury Road soundtrack, which is on Spotify, and it's amazing.

What are some other good games to do this, too? Mad Max is intentionally sparse in may ways, so it works well.

I also recently played through The Last of Us to John Carpenter's new CD. Equally mind-blowing. Literally a different experience.

Damn, it just works so well, something about this game in particular. I think it's the vast open wastelands matched with the quiet internal soundtrack of the game. I put on the Fury Road soundtrack, which is on Spotify, and it's amazing.

What are some other good games to do this, too? Mad Max is intentionally sparse in may ways, so it works well.

I also recently played through The Last of Us to John Carpenter's new CD. Equally mind-blowing. Literally a different experience.

I guess a lot of people are going to tell you this, but MGS V + 80s playlist are all my life since 10 days now :D

The other games I used Spotify a lot were Driveclub (with music off, of course) and even Bloodborne (while doing some Chalice Dungeons).

Dicktatorship

I think it was Tarkovsky who first said that music could be used in ways to change the tone of a scene without changing the meaning. I've played several different games with music other than it's OST playing in the background. Assassins Creed and Rage Against The Machine go together pretty well.

there are mashups with the Interstellar OST and No Mans Sky. I assume those will go well when the actual games comes out lol. But then again, 65daysofstatic is doing the soundtrack...so not sure you would want do this lol.

When I played Elite Dangerous, I listened to the Interstellar OST as well

At first glance from the title I thought they released a new DLC of a Spotify branded car, and that the OP came to defend this practice.

Glad I was disappointed. :3

Gruso

there are mashups with the Interstellar OST and No Mans Sky. I assume those will go well when the actual games comes out lol. But then again, 65daysofstatic is doing the soundtrack...so not sure you would want do this lol.

When I played Elite Dangerous, I listened to the Interstellar OST as well
I'd love to do Elite or Star Citizen with some of 65's other work. Wild Light and We Were Exploding Anyway were made for space.

Troy

Banned
Spotify + Destiny is my jam. My favorite feature this generation so far. Especially the ability to control it all with my phone.

Spladam

I love making my own soundtracks for games, I try to import the music on most games, but if I can't, there's always the good old MUTE MUSIC and run Media Player with playlist.

Cyd0nia

Banned
I once lost my Quake CD-ROM, so I ended up playing that game with lots of alternative soundtracks! In many ways the first PlayStation was the first console that offered alternative soundtracks as lots of games just used red-book audio... you could swap out your CD for something else and see what happens!

NewFresh

Played through the Painkiller games with Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky playing as the soundtrack. Everything felt so dark and fitting.

Can someone explain how you do this with a usb stick? I know you can but never figured out the ins and outs. Like does the stick have to be in a certain format? Will it get rid of the ingame music when I play my own stuff off the stick? Does it play over cutscenes or movies or does it stop during these bits? Is Spotify worth using too?

I'd like to start doing this for the grindy bits in games.

At the moment I use my Apple TV to play music and pass it through the optical out on my receiver while it streams a playlist from PC upstairs with iTunes using the remote app on my iPad. It's a good setup but I can't hear speech or sfx obviously.

Vaga

Yes but only if you have premium if I recall correctly. Def worth it though, ps4 has a spotify app and you can control it with your spotify phone app.

No it doesn't require premium. You can even control it with the phone app while playing.

driver116

Yes but only if you have premium if I recall correctly. Def worth it though, ps4 has a spotify app and you can control it with your spotify phone app.

You can without subscription.
Also, you can play off your USB like on the 360.
Not sure about playing from DLNA though - anyone tried that?

Syntsui

How does this work? It substitutes the game's music only and doesn't affect the sound effects/voice acting?

napalmjam

Godzilla 2014,jaws and fury road
Soundtracks are awesome with mad max even threw in a little Danny elfman batman BLISS.

jeemer

I tried listening to the max mad ost while I was playing mad max yesterday and ended up putting the game music back on in the end. It doesn't sync up to game actions (obviously) so i found it weird when i was in the middle of a fight and the music is suddenly quiet and subdued, or i'm filling up my canteen and it gets super intense.

How does this work? It substitutes the game's music only and doesn't affect the sound effects/voice acting?

Yeah there should be requirements that all in game music gets muted when Spotify is playing but it really depends on the game.

I wish I could use Spotify in my PS4 while multiplayer gaming but it does seem to effect performance and leads to lag.

Atrophis

Now that sounds like an awesome idea...

tensuke

I like to play FTL with the Firefly soundtrack.

MGSV with Lana Del Rey, Madonna, Gaga and Marina slays me tbh

I have my helicopter play Venus when it collects me.

no wonder big boss became a demon

You can without subscription.
Also, you can play off your USB like on the 360.
Not sure about playing from DLNA though - anyone tried that?

playing from dlna does work, though it can be glitchy. sometimes i'll start playing a track, and when i go back to the game it stops, but when i play a different track it works and then the playlist plays fine (playing from favorites, not a folder or anything, so it might just be favorites that's messed up, idk).

napalmjam

John carpenter's lost themes is amazing great choice .

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I fixed the GotG Awesome Mix Vol 1. to the directors cut so I have my own playlist but it only removes the Vol 2 songs and replaces them with some from cut scenes. It flows better as a result. But yeah. Destiny is literally boring to me if my Awesome Mix isn't playing. I wonder how many people of DestinyGAF will recognize me from that.

Top Bottom