• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

Yeah, I only now just watched it...and you guys are completely right. What an awesome episode. That hand holding parallel is great; really shows you how the Don/Peggy relationship has evolved. I do look forward to seeing what they do with Don now, whether he may be trying to pull himself up from the bottom.

"Open or closed?"
"...open."

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It's amazing how long this show makes you wait for moments like Don and Duck fighting or Peggy and Don holding hands and how effective the scenes still are by the time they come.

In a season full of nothing but amazing episodes, this was easily the best.

There are no words. I think I might even like this episode more than Shut the Door, Have a Seat.

Vyer

Sepinwall's comments reminded me of something. So what does 'There's another way out of this room" (paraphrasing) mean? Is Don referencing what I think he is?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
BertramCooper said:
In a season full of nothing but amazing episodes, this was easily the best.

There are no words. I think I might even like this episode more than Shut the Door, Have a Seat.

lol you have no balls.

Blackhead

Redarse
anaron said:
b4g476.jpg

2j0mgjr.jpg
Peggy has come such a long way

gdt

What a sublime, emotional tour de force. Best episode of the show.

Just...breathtaking and so many levels. Goddamit, one of the best episodes of anything, ever.

I'm still decompressing a bit :lol .

Talon

Vyer said:
Sepinwall's comments reminded me of something. So what does 'There's another way out of this room" (paraphrasing) mean? Is Don referencing what I think he is?
Yes. It was bordering on too obvious, IMO.

Blackhead

Redarse
Ignatz Mouse said:
Alan Sepinwall: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/mad-men-the-suitcase-get-her-to-the-greek

AV Club: http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-suitcase,44857/

And they don't have an article up yet, but I recommend Project Rungay for good reviews as well as their excellent Mad Style series. http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/09/mad-style-waldorf-stories.html
Project Rungay's article is now up: http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/09/mad-men-s4e7-suitcase.html

Boonoo

I just watched the first episode again, and it's pretty amazing seeing how far Don and Peggy have come. New broken Don is heads above old slimy Don.

cory64

I wrote a review on my tumblr for 2 weeks ago's episode, but I found that it's really hard to write about a show that's this good. And school started, so I don't really have time.

I also wanted to note that when Peggy approaches the bathrooms and then enters the men's room, I had that kind of weird experience where part of your brain is saying "You know you're watching one of the best things you're ever going to watch. Keep that in mind."

It was just such a perfect moment, and such a huge thing for Peggy.

Wow, this show.

Oh, shit, also, after the Rolling Stone article it's very clear that so much of this episode (maybe the whole season arc between Don and Peggy) is coming from Weiner's relationships with his writing staff. It's pretty fascinating to watch them work it out amongst themselves for our dramatic benefit.

cory64

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh, shit, also, after the Rolling Stone article it's very clear that so much of this episode (maybe the whole season arc between Don and Peggy) is coming from Weiner's relationships with his writing staff. It's pretty fascinating to watch them work it out amongst themselves for our dramatic benefit.
Wow.

cory64 said:

He said that basically Mad Men is him working out his own shit through all the characters, which I think is what makes the show so, I hate to say it, literary. It really feels like a novel that he's writing. And he's been working on the show for four years with other people in a collaborative enterprise that's gotten huge amounts of praise. So much of that is reflected in what's going on with SDCP and Don and Peggy specifically.

It's a great article, if you haven't read it.

Johann

backflip10019 said:
Holy shit, in my opinion, that was the best episode of the entire series. The range that Jon Hamm shows, my god.

I love this show so much.

I enjoyed Hamm's guest/recurring roles, such as in The Division, but God Damn! He's incredible in this. It makes you think just how many talented actors there are out there waiting for their breakthrough role.

Amir0x

Banned
Jon Hamm must get the emmy for this episode alongside Elisabeth Moss.

I just watched this episode again and the power of his performance is absolutely fucking insane. When he's describing Sonny Liston's fighting style, cigarette in mouth, drowsy drunkenness weighing his words, fists jabbing the air in imitation... there was so much going on he had to pull off emotionally too, the way he was trying to avoid for the entire night making that call.

I mean, christ, the Oscars should give him the Academy Award for best actor just fucking because.

Amir0x said:
Jon Hamm must get the emmy for this episode alongside Elisabeth Moss.

I just watched this episode again and the power of his performance is absolutely fucking insane. When he's describing Sonny Liston's fighting style, cigarette in mouth, drowsy drunkenness weighing his words, fists jabbing the air in imitation... there was so much going on he had to pull off emotionally too, the way he was trying to avoid for the entire night making that call.

I mean, christ, the Oscars should give him the Academy Award for best actor just fucking because.

Yup. Mad Men deserves to EGOT this year.

Amir0x

Banned
it's just so amazing how this show is. Weiner is a fucking conductor in some masterful orchestra, directing his writers to the heart of things with a slow, calculated precision that I don't think I've ever seen in another show, even in The Wire. It's so impressive when the pieces fall into place that I can only sit and shake my head in admiration, content in the knowledge that I may, in fact, not be worthy.

LaneDS

Absolutely loved the episode (and even teared up when Don did) but I didn't care for him seeing the apparition of Anna. Seemed a little out of place for the show, and I don't think the episode needed to make it any clearer that she had passed.

Aside from that, brilliant episode and possibly the best episode of the series.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Well that was incredible. Makes it hard to watch other TV shows, they're just so bad in comparison to Mad Men.

Man this show! I knew it was something special from episode one, I tell all my friends this is THE show to watch if you're infront of a TV. Par none.

Man

'On my way to Korea, thousands of feet in the air. There was some other kid there, more of a jokal than me even. And he screams: Man wasn't meant to fly!' :lol

Viewt

Also, they need to publish Roger's book. I would be there Day 0.

Sterling Gold by Roger Sterling Jesus Christ. :lol

RaidenZR

Only thing the episode was missing was a single witty line from Lane. Could have injected it in the early pre-fight banter with the other boys.

'Fried Chicken, indeed...'

Amir0x

Banned
anaron said:
Oh wow cool! Memles is awesome. :)

Are either of these okay?

*images*

The quality is kind of shit right now but I can fix it later on.

teehehehehe

just seeing her with that pink crown makes me giggle. thanks!

I am continuing my unifying theory of MAD MEN gifs. There is a MAD MEN gif for everything.

giga

Here's the closing song by Simon & Garfunkel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98pbT-ok3s

Fog's rollin' in off the East River bank
Like a shroud it covers Bleecker Street
Fills the alleys where men sleep
Hides the shepherd from the sheep

Voices leaking from a sad cafe
Smiling faces try to understand
I saw a shadow touch a shadow's hand
On Bleecker Street

A poet reads his crooked rhyme
Holy, holy is his sacrament
Thirty dollars pays your rent
On Bleecker Street

I heard a church bell softly chime
In a melody sustainin'
It's a long road to Canaan
On Bleecker Street
Bleecker Street

Empty

i think there's a really good chance of Mad Men S4 dethroning The Wire S4 as the best season of television i've ever seen. seven episodes in and not only has it not missed a beat in it's relentless quest for perfection, but it has been getting better and better. it's like if the kids introduced in S4 of The Wire had been developed from S1, the resonance of that season would be even greater, with Mad Men going back to the start of S1 we've had all those episodes of incredible character development, amazing writing that realizes each character so well and gives them layers upon layers to their personalities making them feel so human. they've exposed us to their motivations, their flaws, their fears, desires; so much, and for so many hours, without anything really feeling unnatural or poorly done, and it makes the payoffs like we saw in that episode unlike anything else i've seen on television.

Amir0x

Banned
Empty said:
i think there's a really good chance of Mad Men S4 dethroning The Wire S4 as the best season of television i've ever seen. seven episodes in and not only has it not missed a beat in it's relentless quest for perfection, but it has been getting better and better. it's like if the kids introduced in S4 of The Wire had been developed from S1, the resonance of that season would be even greater, with Mad Men going back to the start of S1 we've had all those episodes of incredible character development, amazing writing that realizes each character so well and gives them layers upon layers to their personalities making them feel so human. they've exposed us to their motivations, their flaws, their fears, desires; so much, and for so many hours, without anything really feeling unnatural or poorly done, and it makes the payoffs like we saw in that episode unlike anything else i've seen on television.

Watching this latest episode, I was struck by a feeling I had. It's the first time I've ever felt like I wasn't sure if television could get better. Like, I honestly don't know how another show will manage to be so consistently perfect for such a period of time to provide the sort of payoffs we saw in "The Suitcase."

I mean I know it's not a rational thought, but it's just how incredible the writing is. It's just that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom