• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they'd bring Kinsey back. I'd forgotten he got left behind at the end of season 3 until i rewatched it last week.

I applaud the show for not holding all of its characters sacrosanct. It's sad to see characters like Paul and Sal go, but it's important to show that there's a human cost in the cutthroat world of advertising.

I loved Paul; he was such a painfully pretentious yet lovable little twat. That said, it was clear that he wasn't really needed at SCDP. As for Sal, well, we all know he'd pay the price for his sexuality at some point. It's sad, but I definitely think Sal will have a happy ending.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I applaud the show for not holding all of its characters sacrosanct. It's sad to see characters like Paul and Sal go, but it's important to show that there's a human cost in the cutthroat world of advertising.

I loved Paul; he was such a painfully pretentious yet lovable little twat. That said, it was clear that he wasn't really needed at SCDP. As for Sal, well, we all know he'd pay the price for his sexuality at some point. It's sad, but I definitely think Sal will have a happy ending.

It's been a while, so I could be mis-remembering, but my problem was that he just kind of... disappeared. Characters stopped talking about him and his storyline vanished.

It's possible that I'm forgetting something major here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh, that's right. he got fired because of the Lucky Strike guy. Who is no longer part of the picture.

which means he could be back

I really, really need to rewatch this

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I also forgot about Kinsey. I had the name matched with Harry Crane's face.

Dany

Banned
oh, that's right. he got fired because of the Lucky Strike guy. Who is no longer part of the picture.

which means he could be back

I really, really need to rewatch this

I think the show made some vague allusions that he killed himself. Sterling called and his wife picked up(we didn't hear) and the news sounded grim.

Sapiens

My god, Joan looks amazing.

And what the hell happened to Pete's looks?

I think the show made some vague allusions that he killed himself. Sterling called and his wife picked up(we didn't hear) and the news sounded grim.

What? Elaborate. I never picked up on this. You mean Sal?

Huh? No way, this never happened. I just re-watched the entire series.

I still disagree with poster BertramCooper that Sal will have a happy ending, however. We last saw him a broken man, cruising for gay sex and continuing to hide his true self from his friends and (especially) his poor wife. I don't see how he finds any happiness from repressing such a major part of his identity, and God forbid he's had any kids since leaving SC.

The show's worked hard to show the folly of accepting Don's advice to pretend that things never happened and to deny entire chapters of your life.

Not being able to tell the truth obviously ruined Don's life (and I doubt he'll be any happier continuing the cycle with Megan), but even he admits to Anna that Betty finding out about him made him feel "relieved." He could've been happy with Faye, but couldn't resist the lure of being admired as the mythical "Don Draper" rather than Dick. Aside from Anna, he can't stand for anyone to see him as he really is.

And if you watch "Meditations in an Emergency," after Peggy reveals to Pete that she gave his baby away for adoption, she's shown smiling on her bed and finally at peace with herself after an entire season of denying it to herself and her pastor.

Jrmint

Decided to watch Season 4 again.

Holy crap the first episode is like TV gold. So many excellent scenes:

Don kicking the swimsuit company out of the office

Don threatening Henry and Betty about paying rent

But my personal favorite:

Don screaming at Peggy outside of his apartment, with one of the best lines ever to her boyfriend: "Who are you??" Haha.

God I can't wait for Season 5

yeah i dont remember this at all

i cant really see how sal would come back, at least as far as working for SCDP.. even though lucky strike is gone, don basically threw him under the bus

weiner always said that when people get fired on the show it's almost like they're being killed off

Plus Rizzo is the new art director. If Sal is brought back, he'd basically be walking into a demotion.

The most I'm hoping for is a cameo showing what he's been up to, ala Smitty at CGC in "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword."

johnsmith

remember me

I just watched that episode today. He was just going through his Rolodex in a desperate attempt to get new accounts after lucky strike dropped them. Had nothing to do with Sal.

Dany

Banned
It was after they lost Lucky Strikes...I'm sure Sterling made a phone, we didn't see Sals wife and it was just a one way convo...

It was after they lost Lucky Strikes...I'm sure Sterling made a phone, we didn't see Sals wife and it was just a one way convo...
I know what scene you're talking about, it's from "Hands and Knees," but it didn't play out as you recall.

Roger flips through his rolodex and calls for some random named "Larry" and then finds out he's dead. It's sort of awkward because it shows how little attention he pays to maintaining his business relationships, which is obviously one factor in Lucky Strike's departure.

BRING ON MARCH 25

Dany

Banned
MM_barbie_wp_1280x1024.jpg
I didn't even know this happened

- EW.com: Jon Hamm, John Slattery, and Matthew Weiner dish on season 5 *some vague spoilers*
Martinis? Poured. Cigarettes? Lit. Anticipation? Killing us. In less than two weeks (March 25 to be exact), Mad Men returns to our living rooms. This week’s cover of EW takes you behind-the-scenes of AMC’s ‘60s-era drama — which centers on masterful ad exec Don Draper (Jon Hamm) and has claimed the Outstanding Drama Emmy four years running — to give you a preview of the fifth season and review of that prolonged 17-month hiatus. Below, we offer up a bunch of bonus quotes that you won’t find in the piece from many of Mad‘s main men, including Hamm, John Slattery, Vincent Kartheiser, Jared Harris, and Rich Sommer, as well as series creator/exec producer Matthew Weiner. (We’ll hear from the women in part II.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom