• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 21 is now the worst user reviewed game on Metacritic

PerfectDark

Banned
I play Madden 21 MuT. I am a franchise guy and was going to buy NCAA football 14 and skip Madden but my wife went on my ps4 and bought the game for me and told me stop complaining and just play.

I try to get what I can out of it. Game is basically a NFL blitz arcade game. Every person I play uses the same 1 play on defense. And Gun bunch offense formation for offense. When I was in college I played madden online and was always top 10 online and a few years I held down #1 most of the year. I am not good like that anymore. But I find it ridiculous to spam the same few plays.

notseqi

I love it, 4% viewer rating (some of those hyperboly and of course 'following the trend') but a 65% on critics reviews. Why bother.

UnNamed

Banned
Metacritic User Score is a crucible of frustrated people. Miserable, even when the problem is EA or other shitty company.

I competed in madden for cash for years and won a good bit...but the game got so trash...havent played in like 5 years and im glad i let it go lol

led4lyfe

I've bought every Madden since like '96 on the SNES and this is probably the worst game in it's history. In the past, when Madden reaches the end of its console's generation you see a complete game which combines all of the previous games advancements- but not here. They have a new mode, The Yard, which is similar to NFL Street- has ton of potential, but seems thrown together last minute and falls flat.

I've had so many glitches and moments of unnecessary lag(exactly when i'm punting or kicking) . Really disappointed by the effort on this one, there needs to be competition so EA gets their act together and starts reintroducing modes and options from previous games. I miss being able to challenge, now it seems like i'm never able to. Hell I even miss the option to REWIND.

I haven't bought a Madden game since Madden 2006 on PS2. I've played others over the years but it's just gotten stale. I also refuse to buy anything from EA anymore.

Just vote with your wallet, not metacritic, even if they use media pals to try to shame you into buying it.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

People say this but I'm 100% sure this game will sell more than games like 13 Sentinels and Sakuna, just like how games like Anthem and Fallout 76 in their unfinished state sold more than games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Dragon Quest XI.
It's all relative. Trust me when I say management will freak out if they release a product to more "potential" customers they had than last year but sold less copies than last year.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Much rather play this. Madden is the tired same old shit it has been for years.

D_7Gt3pWsAAJGzb.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
All those people will buy it next year, and nothing will change.

Snarkiness aside, I feel for sports fans who demand better from EA, but due to an endless sea of brainlets offering up their $60 + a whole lot more, every year, are trapped. There’s really no recourse for you guys. As long as EA gets game publisher welfare in being able to put out anything, and still make bank, nothing will change.

This phenomenon can go to startling depths, looking at something like the popularity of the recent WWE games, which I understand to be absolutely atrocious and not even meet basic quality control and bug standards.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's all relative. Trust me when I say management will freak out if they release a product to more "potential" customers they had than last year but sold less copies than last year.
Understand what you mean, games like Madden put way more money on not just actually developing the game the game but also marketing but game like 13 Sentinels basically has zero marketing behind it.

Codes 208

It‘s a lazy franchise game by EA, that only focuses on gameplay modes they can monetize... which has you start over every year (so all money you invest in this installment is void when the next one hits, start over).
Ok and? We didn’t see review bombings for the last few games or any other franchise that does this (ea sports in general, call of duty)

so what did they do differently that pushed this into the worst pos ever territory?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm always glad to shit on ea, but MC's userscore is the most useless metric in existence
Wrong.

If only this was true. It's actually a really good indicator of community sentiment toward a particular release, and it influences purchasing decisions as much as Metacritic scores, in some cases. Furthermore, it's one of the few avenues consumers have to voice their disapproval of shitty business practices in video games, and have their voices heard in some regard. Is it perfect? Fuck no. But it's far from useless, and without it, we'd be worse off -- whether you like it or not.

Ten_Fold

madden been trash, sadly it will sell very well an probably be in the top 10 list. I couldn’t tell the difference between madden 21 or madden 17 all looks the same. Damn why people buy these trash sports games.

Thief1987

Wrong.

If only this was true. It's actually a really good indicator of community sentiment toward a particular release, and it influences purchasing decisions as much as Metacritic scores, in some cases. Furthermore, it's one of the few avenues consumers have to voice their disapproval of shitty business practices in video games, and have their voices heard in some regard. Is it perfect? Fuck no. But it's far from useless, and without it, we'd be worse off -- whether you like it or not.
You don't know is this "community" or just ten idiots from reddit with a lot of free time.

TimFL

Ok and? We didn’t see review bombings for the last few games or any other franchise that does this (ea sports in general, call of duty)

so what did they do differently that pushed this into the worst pos ever territory?
Potentially the fact that they don‘t use SmartDelivery etc for their next gen versions.

It seems that people are entitled to free next gen upgrades.

Arkam

Between the anti NFL sentiment and the anti EA sentiment.... the folks at Tiburon are fucked. They have so much sentiment against them that they actually have to deliver an MVP effort.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
The game is a buggy piece of shit. No way they play tested this and shipped it in the state it's in. Glitches,freezes bad AI you name it it's got it. Some of the shit is so blatantly bad I refuse to believe they didn't know about it and shipped it anyway. Defense is broken. Tackling is barely useable. Zone coverage is non existent and you can't sack the QB without cheap nano blitzes. On co op you can't use ANY shotgun formation without it freezing the player who is the offensive captain making the defensive captain play QB. Those are just a few things off the top of my head I've experienced personally. Believe me it deserves the meta score. EA sports should be ashamed.

teezzy

Banned
All those people will buy it next year, and nothing will change.

Snarkiness aside, I feel for sports fans who demand better from EA, but due to an endless sea of brainlets offering up their $60 + a whole lot more, every year, are trapped. There’s really no recourse for you guys. As long as EA gets game publisher welfare in being able to put out anything, and still make bank, nothing will change.

This phenomenon can go to startling depths, looking at something like the popularity of the recent WWE games, which I understand to be absolutely atrocious and not even meet basic quality control and bug standards.

Speaking as a brainlet who buys NHL every year, and hears all the whinging from fans of that franchise, I'd maintain that there's usually a subtle enough difference to justify paying the $60 annual entry fee. New modes are added, old modes are dropped, and there are improvements in overall presentation. NHL '94 implemented one-timers, while NHL '06 introduced the skill stick which allowed for you to utilize the right thumbstick to further your control of the puck. Some years, that difference is mainly a roster upgrade, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The gameplay loop has already been perfected, and I'm basically paying $5 a month to keep my video hockey experience current. Ultimately, I know what I'm getting going in, and I don't understand how much innovation people are really seeking in a sports game at this point.

We've come a long way since NHL '94:

Still, some buffoons will straight up tell you to your face that NHL '94 was the best entry in the series. While it remains a definitive classic, and can still be fun for a night or two, we all know that's just nostalgia talking when compared to current entries.

Sports gamers are just as vexatious as weeb trash gamers - who would've thought? Madden '20 had its fair share of bugs also, but that crap was largely overblown. I've had many late nights just plugging away on the digital gridiron, and I'll likely buy Madden '21 soon.

EA Sports games are like Denny's or IHOP, where you keep coming back for the familiarity because the entry price is fair. People like to champion the old 2k or Midway games, and they were awesome too, but there's a reason EA Sports remained triumphant while the others didn't (NBA2k aside).

I could see all the major sports franchises going the way of GaaS inevitably. Just pay an annual/monthly subscription fee for 'Madden', '2k', 'Fifa', or 'NHL', and boom there you have it: people could finally stop bitching.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Speaking as a brainlet who buys NHL every year, and hears all the whinging from fans of that franchise, I'd maintain that there's usually a subtle enough difference to justify paying the $60 annual entry fee. New modes are added, old modes are dropped, and there are improvements in overall presentation. NHL '94 implemented one-timers, while NHL '06 introduced the skill stick which allowed for you to utilize the right thumbstick to further your control of the puck. Some years, that difference is mainly a roster upgrade, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The gameplay loop has already been perfected, and I'm basically paying $5 a month to keep my video hockey experience current. Ultimately, I know what I'm getting going in, and I don't understand how much innovation people are really seeking in a sports game at this point.

We've come a long way since NHL '94:

Still, some buffoons will straight up tell you to your face that NHL '94 was the best entry in the series. While it remains a definitive classic, and can still be fun for a night or two, we all know that's just nostalgia talking when compared to current entries.

Sports gamers are just as vexatious as weeb trash gamers - who would've thought? Madden '20 had its fair share of bugs also, but that crap was largely overblown. I've had many late nights just plugging away on the digital gridiron, and I'll likely buy Madden '21 soon.

EA Sports games are like Denny's or IHOP, where you keep coming back for the familiarity because the entry price is fair. People like to champion the old 2k or Midway games, and they were awesome too, but there's a reason EA Sports remained triumphant while the others didn't (NBA2k aside).

I could see all the major sports franchises going the way of GaaS inevitably. Just pay an annual/monthly subscription fee for 'Madden', '2k', 'Fifa', or 'NHL', and boom there you have it: people could finally stop bitching.

I’m just a casual NFL fan and haven’t watched a game in I don’t know how long.

That said, I feel like, as games, these are incredibly lacking. It’s not just the roster update criticism. It feels like monetization is intruding everywhere, and quality is falling. That’s what I’m going after with my post.

teezzy

Banned
I’m just a casual NFL fan and haven’t watched a game in I don’t know how long.

That said, I feel like, as games, these are incredibly lacking. It’s not just the roster update criticism. It feels like monetization is intruding everywhere, and quality is falling. That’s what I’m going after with my post.

Fair. I'm way more into hockey than football, which kinda comes with the territory being a Detroit fan, although we do have some Lions and Tigers oh my die-hards around here: hence my reference point.

The monetization is all the more reason for them to switch over to a GaaS model though. They've already laid out the groundwork, and if this payment model makes sense for any series - it's Madden, Fifa, 2k, NHL, the Show, etc.

Cheers.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I play Madden 21 MuT. I am a franchise guy and was going to buy NCAA football 14 and skip Madden but my wife went on my ps4 and bought the game for me and told me stop complaining and just play.
Why would your wife waste 60 dollars?

User review? Its babies who are angry and punish a game way to hard. The whole concept should be deleted.
Punished? 😂😂😂 Who is the baby here?

Last edited:
Top Bottom