• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's MDNA |OT| Her exquisite oyster display and reductive garnishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video is awesome. Both the videos are better than the single choices so far, lol.

It's very Erotica

tumblr_lx6bp4z4wE1r511y6o1_500.jpg

Not trying to fuel the fanboy war, but I think this video being so insanely gay is a direct consequence of Madonna wanting to remember gay men she was their original icon/supporter. I doubt we would have this video if it wasn't for Lady Gaga.

In any case, nice to see Madonna dancing once again. The awkward, clunky, aren't-I-flexible moves were getting tiresome.

I agree, Madge has been phoning it in as far as music videos is concerned these past few years. I think Madonna thrives on competition. If there is one thing Madonna fans can thank Gaga for is reigniting Madonna's competitive edge.

I agree, Madge has been phoning it in as far as music videos is concerned these past few years. I think Madonna thrives on competition. If there is one thing Madonna fans can thank Gaga for is reigniting Madonna's competitive edge.

I don't know, sometimes I wonder if Madonna even gives a shit that the album is out. In interviews she comes across like "oh yeah, I have an album out soon too". The zero promotion doesn't help.

It's a shame because MDNA is the best album shes made in over a decade, and the best pop album in a long time.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, on the one hand, it's Madonna and anyone who's going to get the album has had it on their gay agenda for months; on the other hand, it wouldn't kill her (or at her age, maybe it would. zing!) to do a few TV performances -- she did an interview with Jimmy Fallon, for God's sake. That's slumming it.

Koodo

Banned
Superstar, Some Girls and I'm A Sinner should switch places with I Fucked Up, Beautiful Killer and Best Friends.

... I just realized I haven't heard the full version of Best Friends yet, but I liked that one minute snippet.

I've only heard everything once except for Gang Bang, which has racked up 32671326876 plays. Approximately.

I'm Addicted, Some Girls and Love Spent are my HIGHLIGHTS at the moment.

How sad that Hard Candy had to happen to make this album a REALITY. Shits all over it. Confessions too.

This album is huge for Madonna and she knows it. It's her first from her 3 album deal with Live Nation and she knew she had to deliver if only to ascertain the power of her brand. This being said, she recognized a long time ago that the money is made in tours, not in album sales. I dare say she doesn't even care that much about singles' chart placing anymore. She's doing what she wants and we as usual are just along for the ride. It is to our advantage that Gaga has been riding her coattails to make her more focused and less self-indulgent on her records.

The album is a brilliant, as it had to be. It would have been easy for her critics to cast her aside as irrelevant now that Gaga is around who, let's be honest, has used the model that Madge carved herself to build up on her career.

Also like others have mentioned, at this point her audience is pretty well defined. She is not gonna win any detractors over and she knows it.

As far as attracting new fans, in this world of internet and YouTube she has volumes in interviews, performances and music videos at the click of of mouse for anyone with the slight inclination to look up what she's all about. As far as promotions goes, she did have that little 14 minute commercial which became the most watched TV performance ever. And she didn't put up a penny for it. Aside from that, I don't think she has the patience for interview after interview anymore. Save for some strategic ones her time is probably better spent making sure her tour is her best one yet.

How sad that Hard Candy had to happen to make this album a REALITY. Shits all over it. Confessions too.

I like Hard Candy :mad:

Again, with Madonna you have to keep strategy in everything she does. Hard Candy was basically Madonna putting the least effort for the highest possible outcome. For how nice it turned out, that's saying something. It was her last WB studio album, it was more of a charity to them if you think about it.

I do think MDNA is more balanced than Confession tho :O

Yeah, on first listen it's much better than Hard Candy. Poppy, accessible, full of hooks, theatrical, etc. Everything Hard Candy tried to do but failed at.

I'm not even gonna compare it to Confessions.

Einhander

I guess I'd consider myself a new fan, despite listening to her classic 90s singles back then. I'm 27, so I'm not young. What I mean by 'new fan' is that I didn't listen to her albums in their entirety. Just what I listened to on the radio. Listening to some songs from her new album has made me appreciate her as a singer and why she's considered one of the pop icons. She incorporates charm into her music.

Nemesis_

I'm not even gonna compare it to Confessions.

In my own opinion there's no way I could either. There's too many songs on MDNA that I just cannot stand including the first single, and many of which I would skip if I was listening to the CD.

There's hardly anything on Confessions that I would skip >_>

Koodo

Banned
MDNA has a far broader sound than Confessions. Confessions is still amazing but has nothing on the song structure, melodies and themes found in MDNA.
That's not necessarily good. MDNA feels disjointed at times; while more cohesive albums can feel repetitive, they also end up leaving a more fulfilling and richer aftertaste.

And I'm not here to entertain the immaculate Sorry not being better than everything on MDNA, including Gang Bang. Je suis désolée, lo siento, ik ben droevig, sono spiacente, perdóname, but no.

ibgNWTGqNZZok6.gif

I think a CONFESSIONS RATE in order

09 - Hung Up
10 - Get Together
07 - Sorry
09 - Future Lovers
03 - I Love New York
08 - Let It Will Be
10 - Forbidden Love
04 - Jump
06 - How High
03 - Isaac
03 - Push
07 - Like It Or Not

04 - Fighting Spirit
00 - Super Pop

I think a CONFESSIONS RATE in order

09 - Hung Up
10 - Get Together
07 - Sorry
09 - Future Lovers
03 - I Love New York
08 - Let It Will Be
10 - Forbidden Love
04 - Jump
06 - How High
03 - Isaac
03 - Push
07 - Like It Or Not

04 - Fighting Spirit
00 - Super Pop

I like you. Get Together and Forbidden Love are the perfect songs on COADF. Overall I agree with your ratings too, except my numbers would be higher across the board: I think the album as a whole is very good.

Edit1: Except for I love NY. Sticks out like a sore thumb on that album. Shitty lyrics, shitty music, and totally different from the disco inspired tracks on the album.

Edit2: And I haven't listened to the bonus tracks, but I have a feeling they will disappoint.

Edit3: They should have replaced I Love New York with Fighting Spirit. Fits better on the album, and is just a much better song.

09 - Hung Up
10 - Get Together
07 - Sorry
overrated much?
10 - Future Lovers
07 - I Love New York
07 - Let It Will Be
08 - Forbidden Love
08 - Jump
01 - How High
02 - Isaac
00 - Push
09 - Like It Or Not

Fighting Spirit (haven't listened to)
06 - Super Pop

MDNA wins by KO easily.

Listening to the album in full now. Just finished 'I'm Addicted.' It's pretty rad. 'Gang Bang' definitely didn't impress me this time like I thought it would.

Hold up, 'Turn Up The Radio' is tugging at my ears at the moment. This is quite 80s isn't it

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Completely addicted to Girls Gone Wild. Love the video too, I can almost pretend 90s Madonna never went away ;D And the cheeky opening dialog...she could do prayer tapes if this whole music lark ever falls through.

I like you. Get Together and Forbidden Love are the perfect songs on COADF. Overall I agree with your ratings too, except my numbers would be higher across the board: I think the album as a whole is very good.

Get Together and Forbidden Love are two of the best songs she's ever recorded imo. I just think Confessions falls apart by the second half, whereas MDNA does not.

09 - Hung Up
10 - Get Together
07 - Sorry
overrated much?
10 - Future Lovers
07 - I Love New York
07 - Let It Will Be
08 - Forbidden Love
08 - Jump
01 - How High
02 - Isaac
00 - Push
09 - Like It Or Not

Fighting Spirit (haven't listened to)
06 - Super Pop

MDNA wins by KO easily.

INDEED.

tumblr_lzlliq3K2O1qmb8czo1_500.gif

And yeah, never really got the love for Sorry or Jump. I have to be in the mood to listen to them, Sorry especially is way too long winded.

It's a beautiful album. It takes her heart getting broken to make albums like this. It's definitely up there. We won't get something this honest and genuine from her for a long while. This is something very very special.

WTH are you guys on? Were it not for I'm addicted, I'd be hard-pressed not to call this album Hard Candy Part Two.

Looking at the track list, my quick observations...

1. Girl Gone Wild - It's not bad per se, but really generic. Still has some schwung to it though.

2. Gang Bang - the song goes no where, is that cringe worthy yelling at the end supposed to be the climax? And "Skrillex breakdowns" aren't helping anyone. We'll look back at this shit in years wondering wtf people were thinking.

3. I'm Addicted - Great songs that slowly builds up to great climax. The last 10 seconds when the "M..D..N..A" singing goes in a different key is amazing. Weird how Benassi produced both the generic Girls Gone Wild and this awesome song.

4. Turn up the Radio - typical Martin Solveig song. Not bad, but does nothing for me. None of his songs ever have.

5. Give me all your luvin - I can't hate the track because it's kinda silly, but it's so basic. And M.I.A. and Minaj can fuck off. Ironically, in the Demolition Crew Remix the part with M.I.A. is the best part. It's also by far the best remix of the song. Thanks to whoever linked to it in this thread.

6. Some Girls - Is kinda good, but Madonna's singing is really weird here. Especially in the verses.

7. Superstar - Sounds like a Martin Solveig song but isn't. Boring. The lyrics bother me here. And again with the dubstep'ish breakdown.

8. I don't give a - I barely have an opinion on this song. It's just there. Minaj can fuck off. Not that it's particularly beautiful, but the weird epic opera ending is a nice touch.

9. I'm a Sinner - takes inspiration from Beautiful stranger, but is far inferior to it, and when you compare two "similar" songs like those next to each other, it really shows how much Madonna's voice has gotten worse since her post-Evita days.

10. Love Spent - Has like 5 different ideas for a great song in it. Especially starting 2m15s the song takes a completely different route. I like it though. Except again, Madonna's voice is just so squeaky and frail.

11. Masterpiece - Latin sounding ballad. Not a fan of it. The lyrics are a bit stupid too. Gotta wonder how horrendous the competition was, if this won a golden globe.

12. Falling Free - This really sounds like a Ray of Light song. By no means bad, but a little boring.

13. Beautiful Killer - nothing spectacular either, but I like the chorus. It's catchy and happy.

14. I fucked up - just no. Shitty beat, shitty lyrics, shitty voice performance. Only the part where the beat goes into overdrive gives this song something "eventful".

15. B-Day Song - starts with a 60's sounding beat, could be nice... but oh wait, it's a M.I.A. track and Madonna is in for the ride. Result: grating and off key sounding first attempt demo vocals throughout this abomination. If this got demoted to bonus track because of M.I.A.'s superbowl stunt, she did us all a service.

16. Best Friend - this song in particular sounds like a B-side (or A-side?) of Hard Candy. I kiiinda like the chorus, but overall the song is pretty damn empty.

To summarize: I'm Addicted is great, Love Spent is good, the rest ranges from "eh" to "oh dear god no!".

And I know Madonna isn't a vocal powerhouse, but she can do better than this. Either the producers need to mess around more to make her sound good, or they better ask the woman to do a second take! This Madonna is a far cry from the energetic but competent yelling she did in the eighties ("get up on the dance floor!" in Vogue still gives me shills, with the slight dysphonia in her voice, which is present in other songs like Holiday and Express Yourself), the warm and strong voice from Evita and Ray of Light, and the soothing smooth voice on Confessions on a Dance Floor.

I don't even think I'm gonna buy the album.
SxhEL.gif

/negative nancy

Better than I'M BREATHLESS? HMMM. :p

YES, it's even better than Who's That Girl

So... that's what it feels to be dead inside :(

The whole album is an amalgamation of everything Madonna from the 80s, 90s and today. I'm not finding one single song that I would be skipping on every listen. I ADORE Turn Up the Radio and Superstar. I love Beautiful Killer, I'm Addicted and Falling Free. Best Friends made me teary eyed. That hasn't happened in like forever.

I started listening to Madonna when I didn't know any English. I was there for the sounds and her voice. This is what drew me in. This album does all this for me today 30 years later. There is so much joy, euphoria, buoyancy, sorrow and raw emotion here it's hard for me not to feel enchanted by it. It's makes me feel... shiny and new, tehe!

Masterpiece is my favorite, oddly enough. Girls Gone Wild I like, as well as the last 1/3 of I'm Addicted. The rest I can take or leave.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
[*]Give me all your luvin - I can't hate the track because it's kinda silly, but it's so basic. And M.I.A. and Minaj can fuck off. Ironically, in the Demolition Crew Remix the part with M.I.A. is the best part. It's also by far the best remix of the song. Thanks to whoever linked to it in this thread.

Glad you liked the Demolition Crew version, very clever remix indeed.

Stupid of them to release it later, most people don't even know it exists.

At this stage, I'm pretty sure that if MDNA had
Lady Gaga
plastered on the cover it would be the second coming.

1. Girl Gone Wild - It's not bad per se, but really generic. Still has some schwung to it though.

Agreed, though like GMAYL, the song is enhanced by the video. I think it's good enough in the context of the album, but the chorus lets the rest of the song down.

1. Gang Bang - the song goes no where, is that cringe worthy yelling at the end supposed to be the climax? And "Skrillex breakdowns" aren't helping anyone. We'll look back at this shit in years wondering wtf people were thinking.

We'll probably be looking back and wondering why Madonna hasn't done anything like it since. It's dirty and different.

1. I'm Addicted - Great songs that slowly builds up to great climax. The last 10 seconds when the "M..D..N..A" singing goes in a different key is amazing. Weird how Benassi produced both the generic Girls Gone Wild and this awesome song.

As soon as I heard the M-D-N-A chant I knew it would be a RAINBOW FAVOURITE.

1. Turn up the Radio - typical Martin Solveig song. Not bad, but does nothing for me. None of his songs ever have.

It's a grower. Very reminicent of her pre-Madonna era.

1. Give me all your luvin - I can't hate the track because it's kinda silly, but it's so basic. And M.I.A. and Minaj can fuck off. Ironically, in the Demolition Crew Remix the part with M.I.A. is the best part. It's also by far the best remix of the song. Thanks to whoever linked to it in this thread.

It's okay.

1. Some Girls - Is kinda good, but Madonna's singing is really weird here. Especially in the verses.

Love this. The verses are well written and I love the vocal performance. Don't know why you'd call it "weird".

1. Superstar - Sounds like a Martin Solveig song but isn't. Boring. The lyrics bother me here. And again with the dubstep'ish breakdown.

I've only listened to this song twice, filler. The "Push" of MDNA.

1. [*]I don't give a - I barely have an opinion on this song. It's just there. Minaj can fuck off. Not that it's particularly beautiful, but the weird epic opera ending is a nice touch.

Reminds me of JANICE. The end reminds me of a Hardy Candy outtake. Didn't like it at first but I do now. Could do without Minaj.

1. I'm a Sinner - takes inspiration from Beautiful stranger, but is far inferior to it, and when you compare two "similar" songs like those next to each other, it really shows how much Madonna's voice has gotten worse since her post-Evita days.

I love this song now, didn't at first. So cruisy. Obviously very Beautiful Stranger/Amazing.

1. Love Spent - Has like 5 different ideas for a great song in it. Especially starting 2m15s the song takes a completely different route. I like it though. Except again, Madonna's voice is just so squeaky and frail.

Best song she has done in years. Best pop song in a long time, imo. Probably since Teenage Dream.

1. Masterpiece - Latin sounding ballad. Not a fan of it. The lyrics are a bit stupid too. Gotta wonder how horrendous the competition was, if this won a golden globe.

Wouldn't be out of place on Something to Remember. Like all balads, I have to be in the mood. It's lovely though.

1. Falling Free - This really sounds like a Ray of Light song. By no means bad, but a little boring.

Nice and simple. She sounds great, it's rather haunting.

1. Beautiful Killer - nothing spectacular either, but I like the chorus. It's catchy and happy.

I simply adore this. Should be on the album, not just thrown in as a bonus track. I always think of Don't Fear the Reaper when listening to it, oddly.

1. I fucked up - just no. Shitty beat, shitty lyrics, shitty voice performance. Only the part where the beat goes into overdrive gives this song something "eventful".

Nice background tune, can see why it was relegated to bonus track though.

1. B-Day Song - starts with a 60's sounding beat, could be nice... but oh wait, it's a M.I.A. track and Madonna is in for the ride. Result: grating and off key sounding first attempt demo vocals throughout this abomination. If this got demoted to bonus track because of M.I.A.'s superbowl stunt, she did us all a service.

I love this, so light-hearted and fun. The off-key vocal is perfect for the song. It's rare that Madonna is so off the wall.

1. Best Friend - this song in particular sounds like a B-side (or A-side?) of Hard Candy. I kiiinda like the chorus, but overall the song is pretty damn empty.

Yeah it wouldn't be out of place on Hard Candy, it's a good song.

This Madonna is a far cry from the energetic but competent yelling she did in the eighties ("get up on the dance floor!" in Vogue still gives me shills, with the slight dysphonia in her voice, which is present in other songs like Holiday and Express Yourself), the warm and strong voice from Evita and Ray of Light, and the soothing smooth voice on Confessions on a Dance Floor.

/negative nancy

We really comparing Madonna now to Madonna 20 - 30 years ago? Reaching.

Some songs rumoured to be on The Madonna Tour setlist

Girl gone wild
Turn up the radio
Express yourself
Papa don't preach

Justify my love
Love spent
Celebration
Open your heart
Power of goodbye

B day song

Gang bang/Revolver
I'm a sinner
Whos that girl
Gambler (WTF WOULD BE AMAZING!)
Like a prayer

I'm addicted /Superstar
Deeper and deeper
Music
Nothing really matters
Gimme all your luvin

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
nothing i've heard of MDNA so far suggests it's as good as confessions

09 - Hung Up
07 - Get Together
10 - Sorry
07 - Future Lovers
08 - I Love New York
07 - Let It Will Be
09 - Forbidden Love
10 - Jump
09 - How High
08 - Isaac
07 - Push
07 - Like It Or Not

COADF is 100% amaze. it's consistency is what makes it so incredible. stewart price is a god.

At this stage, I'm pretty sure that if MDNA had
Lady Gaga
plastered on the cover it would be the second coming.
No. Just no. I'm not a Lady Gaga stan. So don't apply "stan wars" logic to me. I like songs from Lady Gaga, I like songs from Madonna. But I don't have a membership card to either of their wig snatching armies. I just call music like I hear it. ... (that is, if your comment was referring to me.)

I appreciate your commentary on all the songs though. I like it when people give more opinion than "when will your fave". :)

Random thought: I'm addicted could've replaced I love New York on COAD. It fits right in, and it would've made the album even better.

I'm jamming to Beautiful Stranger now btw, because of I'm a Sinner.

nothing i've heard of MDNA so far suggests it's as good as confessions

09 - Hung Up
07 - Get Together
10 - Sorry
07 - Future Lovers
08 - I Love New York
07 - Let It Will Be
09 - Forbidden Love
10 - Jump
09 - How High
08 - Isaac
07 - Push
07 - Like It Or Not

COADF is 100% amaze. it's consistency is what makes it so incredible. stewart price is a god.

Jump and Sorry aren't worthy of 10's, Jump especially. I Love New York over Let It Will Be?...

B-Day Song is close to my favourite track on MDNA at the moment :D

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Jump and Sorry aren't worthy of 10's, Jump especially. I Love New York over Let It Will Be?...

B-Day Song is close to my favourite track on MDNA at the moment :D

sorry is the best track on confessions

i find it way difficult to order them anyway

just to double check, we are talking about the continuous mix version here right

just to double check, we are talking about the continuous mix version here right

Yesh.

Sorry is good but it could've been a minute shorter and just as decent. The verses are terrible and the song didn't translate well live at all; probably why she didn't bother with it on the Sticky and Sweet Tour.

Jump is just... small doses.

If she had released Get Together as the second single with a proper video, I would've been a happy camper. Instead we got Sorry and one of her worst videos ever.

sorry is the best track on confessions

i find it way difficult to order them anyway

Definitely. The outro to Get Together is beautiful, and I love that there's a basic "melody" that Forbidden Love and Jump both share. In the transition between the two songs, the only piece of music that remains is that melody. Fucking brilliant!

Ugh, once I make it past Jump Confessions jumps the shark sharply. It's some of Madonna's worst as far as self-indulgent poor-me-kabbalah-super-star moments. I really find it hard listening to the album to the end because of it. Let's not talk about Push Me. LIke it or Not is a great album finish.

Sorry? Boooring bass line that repeats infinitely. Perdóname Madonna. No me gusta mucho.

MDNA >>>> Confessions any time all the time.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Finally got a good copy of this (ain't wastin' time on that shitbag AOL stream) so I have something to listen to whilst I go thrifting this afternoon. Undoubtedly, I will making weird faces on the bus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom