• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's MDNA |OT| Her exquisite oyster display and reductive garnishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, all the Madonna super-fans who complain about the media trashing her shouldn't be hopping on the Lady Gaga-bashing bandwagon coz you're doing exactly what the media's done to Madge. Strong and popular women are always gonna get shit on, whether it's to undermine their power or attractiveness ("Madonna is too old to dress that way"), or their talent and credentials ("she ripped off ____"). It all falls under the same category. So many male singers get away with doing so much less.

Gaga and Madonna are fabulous women and I'm glad they make music.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Im not gonna ask how you found yourself in here when you have 0 interest in The Queen ch..........

I was wondering why this thread kept getting bumped but now I see it was due to Madonna stans using Gaga to keep this thread relevant, just like Madonna does herself. How reductive

iY02jHhde5GAg.gif

Eh, all the Madonna super-fans who complain about the media trashing her shouldn't be hopping on the Lady Gaga-bashing bandwagon coz you're doing exactly what the media's done to Madge. Strong and popular women are always gonna get shit on, whether it's to undermine their power or attractiveness ("Madonna is too old to dress that way"), or their talent and credentials ("she ripped off ____"). It all falls under the same category. So many male singers get away with doing so much less.

Gaga and Madonna are fabulous women and I'm glad they make music.

http://gifsoup.com/

Kyon

Banned
I was wondering why this thread kept getting bumped but now I see it was due to Madonna stans using Gaga to keep this thread relevant, just like Madonna does herself. How reductive

iY02jHhde5GAg.gif

As reductive as her debuting at #1 with no promo and no $0.99 albums?

It's an album by Madonna. Expectations are high and the critics love to taking shots at her. She's really old too, didn't you hear?

you really trying to make excuses for her? forget expectations being high, trash is trash, and that's what a lot of MDNA is

like I said in another post, Girls Gone Wild is fantastic, Love Spent is great also, a couple 1-2 other tracks that are good like Beautiful Killer and Turn up the Radio, but that leaves 10+ tracks that are just average to trash.

As reductive as her debuting at #1 with no promo and no $0.99 albums?

It's selling on Madge's name and legend. It's certainly not the music. Only two of my mega fan friends are trying to call this cd a winner. The rest of us are embarrassed for her because of the quality of the tracks, and her lifeless singing on much of the cd.

Let's not pretend this even comes close to her great CDs. It sounds so cheap. :'(

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I wont say that I think MDNA is as bad as Hard Candy, but I find it difficult to say it's much better

Kyon

Banned
It's selling on Madge's name and legend. It's certainly not the music. Only two of my mega fan friends are trying to call this cd a winner. The rest of us are embarrassed for her because of the quality of the tracks, and her lifeless singing on much of the cd.

Let's not pretend this even comes close to her great CDs. It sounds so cheap. :'(

Lmfao I never said this was about the music ;) just pointing out the power of The Queen who needs 0 reductive gimmicks to sell albums

I wont say that I think MDNA is as bad as Hard Candy, but I find it difficult to say it's much better

You Can Dance and I'm Breathless are better than Hard Candy. MDNA is far better.

Another rumoured setlist appears

1. Intro /Act of Contrition
2. Girl Gone Wild
3. I'm Addicted
4. Frozen
5. Gang Bang
6. Revolver

7. Love Spent/ Beautiful Killer
8. Express Yourself
9. Gambler
10. I'm a Sinner
11. Beautiful Stranger
12. Open Your Heart
13. Give Me All Your Luvin'

14. Best Friend
15. Secret
16. Nothing Fails
17. Like a Prayer
18. Masterpiece

19. Hung Up
20. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix)
21. Music (LMFAO Remix)
22. Turn Up The Radio
23. Holiday

Gambler is still there (please be on the tour...)

Note Express Yourself. It's there for a REASON.

Lmfao I never said this was about the music ;) just pointing out the power of The Queen who needs 0 reductive gimmicks to sell albums

Oh it's not the music. It's her multi-decade legend. That's why I foolishly bought it, despite what I had heard prior in snippets.

There's no way anyone in pop has that clout anymore. And now to see it wasted... Feels bad man.

you really trying to make excuses for her? forget expectations being high, trash is trash, and that's what a lot of MDNA is.

It's selling on Madge's name and legend. Let's not pretend this even comes close to her great CDs. It sounds so cheap. :'(

People are entitled to their opinion. I'm entitled to be right ;)

Another rumoured setlist appearsGambler is still there (please be on the tour...)

Note Express Yourself. It's there for a REASON.

I'd be more than happy with this. I do want Vogue in there somewhere tho.

I'd be more than happy with this. I do want Vogue in there somewhere tho.

I think she needs to retire Music. I've never liked it, and she's played it on EVERY tour since.

Needs more "oldies but goodies" (Madonna: *performs something from Hard Candy*), she is such a troll in that regard >_>

Kyon

Banned
What kind of morons make up their minds about the music they listen to based on reviews anyways? I don't need a biased nobody 'music critic' with an agenda to tell me what I should or shouldn't enjoy. This couldn't be more true than for Madonna.

Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Omfg I saw that video a few hours ago lol so true

PS: morons like that aren't real fans of any form of entertainment who do that, it's pretty stupid

People should probably take notice of the fact that almost NONE of the recent positive reviews have been added to Metacritic, and for no reason.

Madonna stans are fuming, naturally.

Wubby

Finally got a chance to listen to it. About what I expected. There's some stuff that's likable. But personally for some reason nothing she has done since Ray of Light has grabbed me like her old stuff.

Koodo

Banned
People should probably take notice of the fact that almost NONE of the recent positive reviews have been added to Metacritic, and for no reason.

Madonna stans are fuming, naturally.
It's a conspiracy, like GMAYL's precipitous drop from the charts.

Finally got a chance to listen to it. About what I expected. There's some stuff that's likable. But personally for some reason nothing she has done since Ray of Light has grabbed me like her old stuff.

I think that's the last time she was interested.

There's actually a MDNA/madonna app on itunes. grabbed it; seems pretty good although you need wifi to get to all the content - its like a webportal i guess.

Pretty decent debut with no fucking promotion.

Nice sales but it should be noted that they include pre-orders that have been available since the single came out, and there was a mammoth amount of promo then.

For the record, I think that single is her best in over 10 years, it deserved to go #1. I like how she's been more open to feature hip hop artists lately.

Nice sales but it should be noted that they include pre-orders that have been available since the single came out, and there was a mammoth amount of promo then.

For the record, I think that single is her best in over 10 years, it deserved to go #1. I like how she's been more open to feature hip hop artists lately.

I can't help but think the real PORK CHOP is actually typing this from a pink, fluffy keyboard surrounded by kittens, rainbows and fairy bread.

Sydle

I like it quite a bit, better than Hard Candy (which I deleted after the first listen). For me, it won't have the staying power of a Gaga album, but it will be fun to mix in every now and then.

All these reviews that cling to the Lady Gaga comparisons are sad. I can't take that shit seriously. You don't need to elevate one person by bashing someone that has nothing to do with anything. It comes off as really insecure to me.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
All these reviews that cling to the Lady Gaga comparisons are sad. I can't take that shit seriously. You don't need to elevate one person by bashing someone that has nothing to do with anything. It comes off as really insecure to me.
Yes but not everyone is a crazy Madonna or Gaga fan :p The comparisons are valid. I'm surprised not many of these reviews mention Love Spent, which to me is the climax of the album.

Yes but not everyone is a crazy Madonna or Gaga fan :p The comparisons are valid. I'm surprised not many of these reviews mention Love Spent, which to me is the climax of the album.

Exactly. It's when the comparisons turn into bitch fights that they're unnecessary and annoying. Sadly 99% of the comparisons are just petty bitch fighting attempts.

Also "her best album in a decade"? No. Confessions came out in 2005, and shits all over this album.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Babe you know you're reaching when you call Q's review 'good'.

I'm beginning to feel like the problem with MDNA is that it's just not very strong. There's a couple of stonkers, but there's no overall direction and some of the songwriting is just bad.

I don't know why she didn't bring Stuart Price on again. He did wonders.

Q's (yes, godelsmetric) Top 10 Madonna songs

#10 - Hung Up (SDP Extended Vocal)
#09 - Don't Tell Me
#08 - Skin
#07 - I Want You
#06 - Deeper and Deeper
#05 - Justify My Love
#04 - Oh Father
#03 - Live To Tell
#02 - Into The Groove
#01 - Borderline

....Oh Father? Oh dear.

Vorg

Banned
Listened to MDNA yesterday and honestly, it's pretty mediocre both on composition and vocals. Some songs are great like girls gone wild but they're few and far between. As a casual fan of both gaga and madonna I must say this album is not on the same level as any of gaga's albums. It's not even close. I do't think madonna is even trying anymore judging by the way she sings in this album.

I'm liking Superstar these days. Inoffensive drivel, it reminds me of the filler from Like A Virgin.

Best Friend has to be the worst thing she has recorded since... well, Hard Candy. I'm surprised it's even on the Deluxe Edition.

Meanwhile
Madonna is feeling "freaked out" ahead of her upcoming world tour, admitting she has "never worked so hard or been so scrupulous" about any of her shows.

The pop superstar kicks off her latest concert series in Israel next month and has been working hard to get the shows ready, even breaking one of her fingers during rehearsals.

The Holiday hitmaker confesses she is doing all she can to impress fans at the gigs.

She tells Britain's The Sun, "I have to say that in more than 25 years of performing I have never worked so hard or been so scrupulous. Or freaked out more than I have at the minute.

"There's been lots of cardio and I'm doing a combination of Pilates and dance cardio. And there's been plenty of skipping rope work. The envelope I'm pushing for is as spectacular a show as I can. It should be a feast for the eyes and ears."

However, Madonna admits there is a crowd she struggles to impress – her children.

She adds, "My kids are brutally honest when it comes to what they don't like. They have no tact whatsoever. They'll just say, 'Mum, get that song off' even when (it is) mine. It's hurtful but at least they're honest

Your faves will be in disguise in the front row taking notes.

I'm liking Superstar these days. Inoffensive drivel, it reminds me of the filler from Like A Virgin.

Superstar is totally Madonna channeling her True Blue era. Love it.

Best Friend has to be the worst thing she has recorded since... well, Hard Candy. I'm surprised it's even on the Deluxe Edition.

I like Best Friends -_-

Your faves will be in disguise in the front row taking notes.

tumblr_m0ygneXc751r5swg5.png

Monster Ball stage

tumblr_m0ygl5o3mi1r5swg5.jpg

Sticky and Sweet Tour stage

tumblr_m0ygs0vKVd1r5swg5.jpg

Monster Ball Reductive stage after Gaga took notes from the Queen of the Universe.

tumblr_m0ygtlCsry1r5swg5.jpg

Neo Child

Banned
Just gunna say the laid back Luke remix of give me all your luvin is absolutely peachy. More so the bits when it doesn't sound like madonna and goes all filthy about a minute and a half in and near the end!,

Superstar is totally Madonna channeling her True Blue era. Love it.

I like Best Friends -_-

tumblr_m0ygneXc751r5swg5.png

Monster Ball stage

tumblr_m0ygl5o3mi1r5swg5.jpg

Sticky and Sweet Tour stage

tumblr_m0ygs0vKVd1r5swg5.jpg

Monster Ball Reductive stage after Gaga took notes from the Queen of the Universe.

tumblr_m0ygtlCsry1r5swg5.jpg

AMUSING

tumblr_ljiobobPu01qcujq7o1_500.gif

Bet Xerox had to change her colour cartridge after that DOOZY.

tmarques

I think the album gets better with repeated listenings.

Funny how the people who dislike the album tend to think Girl Gone Wild is one of the better tracks. I think it's one of the weakest, probably only second to that abortion called GMAYL - WTF was Madonna thinking? It shouldn't even have made the album, let alone been the lead single.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom