• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2: Definitive Edition (Official launch) first 12 mins of Gameplay

J3nga

Nice Mafia 2 is a fantastic game, if any of you haven't played it I highly recommend it, great story and great characters, I think Daniel Vavra done the writing to this and his a fantastic writer for games.

I might pick this up just to try for the platinum, does getting the platinum seem difficult if anyone as seen the trophy list?
He left the studio during the development. He did not finish writing the story.

Magik85

When they announced the TRILOGY i was under impression that you get 3 games in one package just like Halo MCC.
This M2 remaster would be nice addition to M1 remake.
Because lets be honest. Its just original game in higher res.
Nowdays things like that are done with free patches + back compatibility.:messenger_neutral:

Moses85

This is what they showed. Even the steam above looks nothing like this.

apps.32471.14479109482538687.fee2b7fd_33b8_463e_b444_b5f0839c1d2b-3341.jpg

Here's a more in depth look

Mafia 1 will be a Full Remake my friend, not Mafia 2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what, this is coming out already? Is there going to be a PC version?

Dibils2k

graphics dont look great tbh... the screenshots released earlier made it look alot better

there are alot of ROUGH textures in that video

EDIT: Oh i see only mafia 1 is getting the true remake/remaster, then i am gonna pass on this

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Big update mafia 2 has been removed from Australian Psn store.
Well that makes sense, I was seeing everywhere it's available on ps store in Aus but couldn't find it.

Also, it says $49.95 AUD for Mafia 2 from what I read.. It looks like a PC Port, that's a ridiculous price for something that has hardly been worked on. I think on August 28 you will be able to get whole Mafia Trilogy - Mafia 1 remake and Mafia 2 and 3 definitive editions for $99.95 AUD so better value if you want the bundle. I already own Mafia 3 through PS Plus.. Seems like Mafia 2 and 3 are not worth buying. I might just wait and buy only Mafia 1 remake.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
The better game gets the better treatment, makes sense.
IF they don't fuck up and dumb down the gameplay for 'modern audiences'....which I'm sure they will with it being a complete remake. They'll prob screw up the script too.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I need these games, I never got to play them originally and I love mafia stuff. The Michael Franzese interviews on youtube are amazing.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Never played any of the Mafia games, but I got Mafia 3 when it was free on PS Plus. Is it worth starting with part 3? Is the game even worth playing?

Stuart360

Never played any of the Mafia games, but I got Mafia 3 when it was free on PS Plus. Is it worth starting with part 3? Is the game even worth playing?
The story in 3 is actually really good. Basically an 80's macho action movie, a one man army getting revenge. The problem is the gameplay sucks.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why not remake 2 as well? This better not cost more than 20 bucks

Why would they remake 2? The game wasn't ugly enough to warrant it. Honestly not sure how anyone thought Mafia 2 or 3 were getting remakes/major updates out of this. The only one being remade is Mafia 1.

Stuart360

Why would they remake 2? The game wasn't ugly enough to warrant it. Honestly not sure how anyone thought Mafia 2 or 3 were getting remakes/major updates out of this. The only one being remade is Mafia 1.
Mafia 2 is a last gen game to be fair. Not out of reason to expect more than a slight texture update. It should of been 60fps as well really.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Mafia 2 is a last gen game to be fair. Not out of reason to expect more than a slight texture update. It should of been 60fps as well really.

Agreed. But that is more in the realms of wanting more out of a remaster - not getting a full blown remake ala Mafia 1. I am all for thinking it should have had more work done, I just didn't see a reason to remake the game.

Stuart360

I see. Is that the same case with the rest of the games in the series?
There are parts of 3 that are good, and it def has a very strong start. The problem is when you reach a certain point and have to grind the same repetative misiions over and over. Mafia 2 is actually really good with a lot of varied missions. No side missions on Mafia 2 though, its all main missions. Mafia 1, well many people think its the best, but its been so long since i played it that i cant really comment.

Looks live people fell for the bullshots.

Those were early shots of the full remake of Mafia 1 I thought?

And not related to your post:

I seen people saying if you own Mafia 2 on PC(I do and have since launch) then the PC version will automatically update to the remastered one...couldn't someone just go buy a Steam key off G2a or greenmangaming for cheap and let it update?

I hope that question isn't seen as 'out of bounds 'or w/e but....thats a serious question

And man got my copy of Mafia 2 modded...the old time reality mod IMO looks better than this remaster since the people who made the mod put in reflections and improved the lighting...the reflections on the wet roads >>>>

Last edited:

IMHO 3 is the worst of the bunch, it has a good soundtrack but I had a hard time convincing myself to finish it.

That’s just me, though. You got it free, check it out, can’t hurt

Justin9mm

Because there are no set definitions
Remake Definition: make (something) again or differently.

Remaster Definition: (also digital remastering and digitally remastered) refers to changing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of previously created recordings, either audiophonic, cinematic, or videographic.

Pretty set definitions to me, educate yourself.

Droxcy

Wow was stoked for Mafia 2 they just did a refurbish...Wish they could've at least updated some textures least I'm getting it for free but we await Mafia 1 I guess.

VulcanRaven

I don't think you understand the difference between remaster and remake. Mafia 2 is a remaster and Mafia 1 is a remake. Not sure why people find this hard to understand.
It might be confusing because sometimes companies call remakes remasters. Crash N. Sane Trilogy and Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled are called remasters even though they are basically remakes with new graphics. Also the new MediEvil was called remaster in the trailers if I remember right.

Yes Frame rates are really bad even during cut scenes and gameplay alot of frame drops

Was there a day one patch?

Last edited:

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
Agree. Mafia 2 is outdated now. Still have it on my ps3. I always wanted a remake, but all they did here is port the same game. Nothing to be excited..you have to be a fool if you buy that same game again.

J3nga

Mafia II: DE looks shite on PS4, blurry with crappy textures all over the place, but hey, people for asked for Mafia II remaster. They market it as trilogy re-release and price for the bunch around 60usd, but in reality we get only 1st game that has been put effort into.

Last edited:

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
Mafia II: DE looks shite on PS4, blurry with crappy textures all over the place, but hey, people for asked for Mafia II remaster. They market it as trilogy re-release and price for the bunch around 60usd, but in reality we get only 1st game that has been put effort into.
That's what people dont realise. They pay 60$ for mafia 1. Mafia 2 is 3$ at the most right now on ps3 and mafia 3 was a failure and it is on sale for less than 10$. 2k are crooks and hangar13 are one of the worst gaming studio out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom