• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2: Definitive Edition (Official launch) first 12 mins of Gameplay

OK so I played it for a few hours on PC and it definitely looks way better than before. Textures are more crisp and lighting is vastly improved. I'm actually very happy considering that this was a free update on Steam. Game shows its age in cutscenes but the gameplay looks great.

I see the improvements mostly with interiors. When you are inside the federal building in the Chapter 3 mission, the textures and lighting are very nice. Pretty crisp

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I see the improvements mostly with interiors. When you are inside the federal building in the Chapter 3 mission, the textures and lighting are very nice. Pretty crisp

gxfIkWq.gif

J3nga

You need to take your rose -tinted nostalgia glasses off. The game did not look this good on the PS3 or 360. PC maybe but not the consoles.
I got no nostalgia for mafia 2, I did not like it or dislike, it's just a mediocre game to me. Also, it was originally developed for 360/ps3 so having those vibes is objectively right.

Last edited:

JRW

Lazy port job. Does it even have all the physx enabled? And is it really 30fps on console?

ya Phsyx is disabled in the remaster (PC) which was one of the selling points of the game when it originally came out.

ya Phsyx is disabled in the remaster (PC) which was one of the selling points of the game when it originally came out.

I hope this is something that gets fixed in a patch

It's not disabled. The option in the graphics menu is gone and I think it's tied to some other setting but it's enabled and works just fine. I'm on chapter 11. When you start the game the first thing you see is a big PhysX logo...

I feel like what I am seeing in my game doesn't match the OG video. I am using "custom" (everything maxed, MSAA 8x and SMAA on, everything on high, Vignette and CA turned off)

Last edited:

It's not disabled. The option in the graphics menu is gone and I think it's tied to some other setting but it's enabled and works just fine. I'm on chapter 11. When you start the game the first thing you see is a big PhysX logo...

Does anyone play this on normal PS4? I wonder how it runs?

I was playing on a pro, and it looked and ran like garbage. I could've accepted the fact that it was an ugly duckling. Then after skipping the annoying 2K email account registration thing, I loaded my save this evening and was greeted with a huge 2K ACCOUNT NOT LINKED pasted in the top right of the gameplay screen. Avoid this like the plague.

Hostile_18

Banned
I mentioned this in the other thread but if you already own Mafia 3 load up that game, go into additional content and there is a discounted version of the Mafia Trilogy available.

XodjZgc.jpg

The game looks pretty sharp on ps4 pro, but it feels like a lazy remaster. This should run at 60fps and we shouldn’t have to put up with that 2k account sign in logo in game. I cannot believe they have the cheek to bring this out for £24.99. As for the game, it’s pretty good and i love the snowy new york setting.

VulcanRaven

The game looks pretty sharp on ps4 pro, but it feels like a lazy remaster. This should run at 60fps and we shouldn’t have to put up with that 2k account sign in logo in game. I cannot believe they have the cheek to bring this out for £24.99. As for the game, it’s pretty good and i love the snowy new york setting.
You get a new outfit if you sign up for the 2K account:

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not that long ago this would have been called a port, because that’s what it is.

I think 2K are making a bit of a fools of themselves. Last week they made an announcement of an announcement which got leaked right away. Out this trilogy remake is the only one valuable(I hope), Mafia II remaster is a bad joke, Mafia III is just a deluxe version named definitive, genius move here(not really). Could've just dropped banger trailer for a remake and give Mafia II for a pre-order and upgrade III to a definitive if one is owned. That would be less confusing since I see a lot of people think that those remake's screenshots are from Mafia's II "remaster".

I wonder if they rushed this out because of the lockdown and all that shit. No doubt they were working on Mafia 1 for a while but I wonder if they just cobbler together some shit to get some hype when we are still mostly stuck inside.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
So is this the OT then? I think I will purchase this broken piece of shit today for my Pro. At least it’s on the way to getting patched.

Great game regardless. I need to see my 50’s naked Betties.

The Playboys are still the best in game collectible ever. And the ones in Mafia 3 were even better since they included the old interviews with people like Kubrick, The Beatles, Ralph Nader etc

Xander3116

So is this the OT then? I think I will purchase this broken piece of shit today for my Pro. At least it’s on the way to getting patched.

Great game regardless. I need to see my 50’s naked Betties.

The Playboys are still the best in game collectible ever. And the ones in Mafia 3 were even better since they included the old interviews with people like Kubrick, The Beatles, Ralph Nader etc

I beat this game on the pro yesterday and the framerate is awful especially when driving around the city, it feels like it drops below 5 frames per second at times. If they can fix that then the rest of the game is pretty good.

I also noticed that the audio is unbalanced, this game needs work.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I beat this game on the pro yesterday and the framerate is awful especially when driving around the city, it feels like it drops below 5 frames per second at times. If they can fix that then the rest of the game is pretty good.

Yeah that’s what I’m reading too. Oh well. Take my money, 2K.

A patch to improve the framerate is definitely needed on ps4, but unless it removes the 2K sign in crap too I'm leaving this on the shelf.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I hope that legendary Czech dubbing is not going to be missed.

One time, they got it right.

J3nga

I hope that legendary Czech dubbing is not going to be missed.

One time, they got it right.

I assume most don't speak Czech in here myself included, so no idea if it's good or bad, but it's nice to see them sorta paying tribute to the original since most of the games these days aren't dubbed to Czech? I see on steam quite many games are dubbed to Russian and Polish but I don't see Czech that often. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I assume most don't speak Czech in here myself included, so no idea if it's good or bad, but it's nice to see them sorta paying tribute to the original since most of the games aren't dubbed to Czech? Correct me if I'm wrong.
No obviously they are not, most of the games are not even subbed in Czech. Czech language is notoriously difficult and only 11m people speak with it. And like 17m understand it (Slovaks and us). So no reason to waste money. If anything is dubbed, it's most often horrible.

But since first one was build from the ground up with actors (particular ones) in mind, it played out well. Mafia II is basically dubbed with actors from Czech soap opera, it's bad.

And i don't thing you need to understand it, but for some reason English dubbing is very monotone vs pretty dynamic in Czech. Which is strange, because our normal talking is very monotonic (compared to UK/US English)....

Even on my i7 + 2070 Super + SSD there are some random hitches driving around the city that feel like they shouldn’t be there. And the physx are still there but much less impressive imo

still a really fun game, and as pawel86ck pawel86ck pointed out it’s definitely a sharper looking version

I was a bit suspicious when i completed a few hours and saw the percentage completed at around 20%. It seems like a short game, although i love the city and will try to get the collectible cards.

Stuart360

I was a bit suspicious when i completed a few hours and saw the percentage completed at around 20%. It seems like a short game, although i love the city and will try to get the collectible cards.
It wasnt short for a last gen game. You said yourself, you have played a few hours and are at 20% complete. Its quite short compared to open world games of today though. Mainly due to there being zero side missions, its all main missions.

Last edited:

Review from Gamingbolt: "An offer you might refuse."

"A lazy remaster"

Mafia 2’s story is as good as ever, but its bland gameplay and the disappointing remastering work drag down the entire experience.

On technical issues

Mafia 2: Definitive Edition’s most disappointing aspects, however, are not flaws that the game always had- it’s that the remastering work done here is pretty disappointing. It’s the most basic of efforts. Visuals look slightly sharper, textures have a little more detail, and… and that’s pretty much it. It doesn’t feel like it’s quite enough. Beyond these cursory upgrades to the visuals, in fact, Mafia 2: Definitive Edition actually has quite a few technical issues.

For starters, the frame rate is terrible. I played on a base PS4, and the game stuttered constantly, and often stuttered hard. Frame rate dips were especially common and noticeable when I was driving around, but would frequently show up even during combat encounters. Most remasters of decade-old games are expected to improve the original game’s performance. Mafia 2: Definitive Edition actually makes it worse.

On top of that, the game is also rife with texture pop-in issues- and I don’t say “rife” lightly. Much like the frame rate dips, they’re a constant nuisance, and once again, most common when you’re driving a vehicle, from shrubs and lampposts in your immediate vicinity to buildings and structures in the distance.

The Good

Tells an engaging story, and tells it very well; Memorable characters; Tightly paced.

The Bad

Lifeless, static open world; Bland cover shooting; Constant performance issues; Plenty of technical issues, including incessant texture pop-in and audio bugs.

Score - 5/10

------------

Seems maybe a little harsh, in the review he criticizes some thing that just come with the territory of this kind of game. Like he says the driving is frustrating, that the cars feel like they are made of rocks, but how well did these old-ass cars handle back in the day?

Eh, I mean, based on what I have played on PC, I would give it a solid 7 for a remaster.

Last edited:

YCoCg

To be fair, they at least re-licenced all of the songs and such, compare that to their sister company Rockstar Games who did that shitty patch for Grand Theft Auto IV the other month and they keep coasting by on not re-licencing songs as if they're poor despite making more in a month from GTAO than most 2k will from this,

J3nga

One thing that I like across all Mafia games is driving, I always play on simulation mode. I actually feel like I'm driving a car, not a turd on a wheels. Just replayed Mafia 2002. Driving is way better done there than in watch dogs IMO .

HotPocket69

Banned
Trophies (at least one of them) seems broken too. The Enforcer - Kill 50 enemies is still at 0.0%.

Last edited:
WCCFTECH says its a mess on consoles

https://wccftech.com/mafia-ii-defin...rmance/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mafia II: Definitive Edition is a remaster of the Xbox 360/PS3 game, and apparently it's kind of a disaster. The game is glitchy and underwhelming on all platforms, but is roughest on consoles (particularly the PS4 it seems) exhibiting ridiculous glitches, blatant pop-in, and slideshow-like performance. You can check out a few "highlights" captured by various YouTubers below -- here we see the player repeatedly falling through the environment into a never-ending void…

videos of glitches

bender

What time is it?
I gave up early on (good thing it was free). The sound bug (voices only come through the left channel during cut scenes) and uneven performance (PS4 Pro) killed my curiosity.

YCoCg

The Audio issue appears to be a completely laughable amateur thing, it seems the game DEFAULTS to low/medium sound quality and DEFAULTS to Auto channels, despite the PS3/Xbox 360 and most computers for over a decade being able to easily handle the highest quality. The game is also confused as to whether it wants to be MONO or 5.1 in Auto mode. On the PC you can at least correct this by forcing those options to HIGH/STEREO but the consoles have the broken options, I honestly don't know what the porting team were even thinking with this.

MilkLizard

A patch to improve the framerate is definitely needed on ps4, but unless it removes the 2K sign in crap too I'm leaving this on the shelf.

Have you tried reloading you save. I had the "Account not linked" bullshit also once but reloading the save fixed it.

Victorius

Neo Member
That's a shame. It has nothing to do with a Definitive Edition. Neither has Mafia III Def Ed.

When the game was published, I bought the deluxe edition. After a few hours of gameplay, I stopped playing for the technical hiccups. Horrible lighting, glitches, bugs and freezes. It was unacceptable for me.

At the weekend, I downloaded the game again, the so called Definitive Edition, said to come complete with HDR. There is NO HDR in it, to be honest. It is the same crap as it was when released. I see no improvements, visuals look far outdated, no trace of HDR. I have already had 2 crashes.

It is ridiculous. 2K had even the guts to call it Definitive and ask 30 USD for it.

Roufianos

Finished it on a regular PS4. The awesome story and mission design still hold up. The cover shooting is a bit tedious, as is the amount of driving in certain missions. The atmosphere and music are first rate, love so many songs from the radio.

Still, what an absolute shit port. I'd say it looks like the PS3 version, only that had a better frame rate. Also just had one of the final cut scenes ruined by characters' eyes spazzing out. The audio is fucked too.

Honestly sucks having such an awesome series in the hands of the hacks at Hanger 13.

Top Bottom