• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 preview and screens

pr0cs

It does look worse than the previous shots but I'm more happy to see real content rather than doctored bullshots.
I'm confident Mafia2 will look great, Mafia1 was extremely impressive for the time and I don't have any reason to believe Mafia2 will not follow the impressive trend, especially considering the amount of people working on the project.

It should be a great game, good source material, probable nice tie in with the first game, exciting era in American history (when it comes to gangsters), better vehicles and weapons. Seems like a good formula for success.

Haunted

I appreciate them not showing bullshots.

That said, the first line in the OP already had me go :(

But the rest cheered me up again. 10-year span sounds fantastic
well, if the story actually takes place during that timespan. i.e. not counting Mafia as a game spanning 30 ears, because of the ending. :p

FirewalkR said:
Console version screenshots right? Right??
Supposed to be identical between platforms anyway. :(

Here's hoping the bigger resolution and some liberal AA&AF will make a difference on the PC version. :)

The only thing graphically I'm not fond of is the almost bloomy look of the road. Looks fine otherwise.

I'm not too thrilled that combat is now cover system based. I miss the old days when a cover system was strafing out behind an object or even having a lean mapped to Q/R. Also, I don't get why the cursor is 3/4th up the screen instead of the middle; it reminds me of what Halo 3 did putting it lower than the middle, it's even more annoying in the videos. I'm hoping all this stuff can be fixed or changed in the PC version, which is obviously the way to go.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
FirewalkR said:
Console version screenshots right? Right??
Why exactly do people jump on this? Did you really expect the PC version to offer more detail? It won't.

The PC version will simply allow you to enjoy the game at higher resolutions with more anti-aliasing (though you probably won't be able to achieve the clarity of the very first shots).

It's not as if these shots look bad either. They already are fully anti-aliasing and very clean. These shots probably ARE taken from the PC version. The first shots were almost certainly bullshots (the image quality was beyond what even the PC can do in realtime).

Dilly

Banned
What? This doesn't look the same as GTA4 at all, GTA4 on PC is one blurry pixelated mess which doesn't run at reasonable FPS.

I think it looks awesome. My reaction is biased however, since Mafia 1 was one of the best games I've ever played and I'm going to get this game the day it comes out.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
does anyone know what the health system is going to be like? Heath packs or health regen?

This is why people need to learn to ignore obvious bullshots.

Still, I think it looks good on the whole, and I'm very excited about the actual game.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The usual cover mechanics? Superfast cars? Maybe even health regen?

It's kinda scary how reactive this franchise is now if you think about how much it hit the pulse in its debut while still commiting to a certain almost dogmatic formula.

Feels like they want to stay the hell away from risks, which makes me sad in a way.

Not saying it's bad being a 'modern' 3rd person shooter that follows the established rules. I just expected these guys making stuff that shows some balls, not a safe bet.

After seeing this video, I'm not 100% sure it WON'T be yet another open-world driving / shooting game with cool cutscenes and the usual mechanics.

If it is exactly that though, it has to be really solid to make me buy it, both gameplay- and story-wise.

I find it amusing how Mafia 2 videos get pulled again and again :lol

I was a big fan of Mafia on the PC (except the annoying race which took a few too many tries to win with that crappy race mechanic).

I greatly look forward to Mafia 2.

Weird stat: It has been SEVEN years since the first Mafia game . . . talk about a long time between sequels!

Since it has been built from the ground up on the consoles, it should be good on the consoles this time as compared to that crappy console port of the original Mafia.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
speculawyer said:
Since it has been built from the ground up on the consoles, it should be good on the consoles this time as compared to that crappy console port of the original Mafia.
Unfortunately it probably also means a worse PC game. :\

Odrion

Banned
goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty

gonna embarrass gta4 like mafia embarrassed gta3

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Odrion said:
goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty goty

:lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Odrion said:

true dat

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Bizzyb said:
yeah, but it's all canned, and once you realize that it doesn't seem so impressive.
Get outta here.

Seriously, of course it's canned, it's a fucking video game. They don't have to eat to survive. Yeah, the girl wouldn't sit down there if the protagonist wouldn't be around. Some action moments are set up. So what? How's that relevant? You don't diss a film when it's not all actual real-life footage..

Arnie

wmat said:
Get outta here.

Seriously, of course it's canned, it's a fucking video game. They don't have to eat to survive. Yeah, the girl wouldn't sit down there if the protagonist wouldn't be around. Some action moments are set up. So what? How's that relevant? You don't diss a film when it's not all actual real-life footage..
Precisely.

Game looks as awesome as the original. Just please let there be a mission where I can destroy my rival gangs vehicles with baseball bats and molotovs.

Decado

One of my most anticipated games. Hopefully they crank up the violence a bit from what we've seen in the trailers (too much emphasis on shooting the backgrounds, not enough on shooting your enemies).

Odrion said:

I don't think it is the same case as Mafia vs GTA3 because both games were trying to achieve different things. GTA4, however, tried (and somewhat failed) to do the serious story in an open world like Mafia 1 and will totally get rump roasted by Mafia 2 in direct comparisons. Mafia 1 did completely defile The Getaway, completely nasty like.

WingM@n

Looks impressive to me, very realistic and high in the details.
Animation is great. This is a must have for me.

Sectus

Cutscenes looks great, everything looks less so. The combat looks a lot like a very generic Gears-style linear shooter. I'm really tired of that kind of gameplay. The original wasn't all that amazing with its shooting mechanics, but it felt satisfying and most importantly most of the levels were rather big and non-linear. I'm just really not looking forward to run to cover, wait for enemies to fire, lean out, wait for enemy to show his head, shoot him, move to another cover... and etc... The current style of shooter gameplay with cover systems just gets so repetitive fast, it adds no tactical depth at all.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dizzan said:
Bought. Looks amazing. Are the gametrailers vids showing the PC version?
I'm gonna say no because of the way the view rotates, looks like sticks being used. But of course, they could just have plugged a controller into a PC. So I don't know, but my guess is no.

Ploid 3.0

This game looks amazing. What is it on (Pc or consoles in the vid)? I like the look, don't see how it could look bad.

-SD-

Banned
anddo0 said:
Gameplay looks decent.. The graphics don't do it for me.
Graphics look great, especially indoor scenes.

Gameplay needs to ditch the arcade-y style and GTA/Gears of War -likeness.

Top Bottom