• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Definitive Edition currently lacks PS4 Pro, Xbox One X enhancements

Bullet Club

Mafia 3 Definitive Edition currently lacks PS4 Pro, Xbox One X enhancements

Developer "working to restore support".

The Definitive Edition of Mafia 3 has lost the game's enhancements for the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X - something 2K has now said is an error.

The regular version of Mafia 3 has long supported Sony and Microsoft's enhanced consoles with 4K visuals - 1440p on PS4 Pro and 1728p on Xbox One X.

Microsoft's store page for the game promises "full 4K". But after testing from our colleagues at Digital Foundry, the Definitive Edition on Xbox One X was found to currently output at 900p instead.

Owners of Mafia 3 who downloaded the 10GB Definitive Edition update now report the game looking much worse on their enhanced consoles.

"I'm afraid [the] people who were behind Mafia 3 Definitive Edition didn't even knew there was a specific version for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro," one owner wrote in a lengthy thread on reddit.

Looking into the issue, Digital Foundry asked publisher 2K what was going on.

"The development team supporting Mafia 3: Definitive Edition is aware of this issue and is working to restore support for Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro as soon as possible," a 2K spokesperson said.

Mafia 3 Definitive Edition was released last week alongside a remaster of Mafia 2, as part of a new Mafia Trilogy collection. The jewel in the crown, a lavish from-the-ground-up remake of Mafia 1, arrives in August.

Source: Eurogamer

A shame that this was a lazy cash grab remaster. Hopefully 1 is good.

Nothing but THAT, they know folks sitting at home and nothing to do.

Mafia 3 on my X looks blurry AF..this game in general looks weird, washed out, colors doesn't have that pop. Only game on the high end TV I'm having issues from day 1.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm pretty sure my pro version is higher than 1080p I'll have to double check. The game was already installed and the patch went on top of it.

cormack12

Gold Member
The regular version of Mafia 3 has long supported Sony and Microsoft's enhanced consoles with 4K visual.

1440p on PS4 Pro and 1728p on Xbox One X.

giphy.gif

I read a lot of crap about these remasters, I'm interested in them but waiting for a bit based on early feedback and want to play them in order too so waiting for the M1 remaster

GHG

A shame that this was a lazy cash grab remaster. Hopefully 1 is good.

200.gif

Expecting the "remaster" of 1 to be trash as well. I suspect the clip we saw in the trailer will turn out yo be a bullshot.

It's a shame these games aren't getting the saints row treatment.

I want to play mafia 3 properly from the start again now that i have completed mafia 2, but its less sharp than the prequel at the moment. I don’t believe that 2k didn’t know mafia 3 had a separate update for the pro consoles. I doubt we will get an update for a good few months due to covid unless it the previous patch can be patched in!

YCoCg

The porting studio built off an earlier version of the game which didn't have Pro/X support, nor the performance patches released after those, you couldn't make this up, d3t have some nerve.

ruvikx

Banned
Game is going to do millions, enhanced versions or not.

Mafia 3? Really? I don't think so. It's a current gen game. And why is the re-release of a current gen game on current gen consoles even a thing now? i.e. it's not even a "game of the year" edition because... Mafia 3 won f*ck all game of the year awards. Me not understand how a poorly received, unpopular, disappointing game (Mafia 3) is receiving a "definitive edition" on the same generation of consoles it was initially released on.

Its just odd that no one even tested it on ps4 pro/ xbox one x before releasing it. I just find it shocking that some games are allowed to be released in such a state. Can you imagine if a 4k film release was released in 1080p. This culture of having gamers test their games and releasing patches later has to stop. There has to be some kind of regulator for videogame releases as it’s not acceptable at all. As the industry matures, there will be less day one patches and longer delays, but that’s fine as long as i am getting the finished product on release!

I am not surprised d3t had some involvement after playing through the shenmue 1 and 2 remasters. There must be a reason why publishers go to them for remastering their games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom