• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 is the Fastest Selling Title in 2K History, 4.5M shipped in one week

Mr. Tibbs

The Washington Post reports that Mafia 3 is the fastest selling title in 2K Games' history.

The risk paid off: 2K Games, which reports earnings Wednesday, confirmed that “Mafia III” is now the fastest-selling title in the publisher's history — overtaking other franchise juggernauts such as “NBA 2K,” “Borderlands” and “BioShock.” The game sold-in 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said.

Note via jonno394: Sold-in is the industry term for the amount of units sold to retailers.

Original:
OFNqNOQ.png

whoah, completely unexpected grats to them. That is an INSANE number. I pre ordered, played for 10 hours, didn't think the game was very good.

Wonder if that means everyone is going to be completely wrong about Titanfall 2 as well.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The game sold 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said.
Oh shit that's unexpected, could've sworn there was a dev that said pretty much the opposite, (less than a million as of a couple weeks ago). Good news for the franchise if true, I would definitely be down for another helping of the black mafia life, (maybe don't kill a shit ton of the cast at the beginning this time?).

Damn. Was expecting this to Flop.
It has tech problems, but the gameplay as repetitive as it is, was fun during my time with it.

Fury451

Banned
Good. Game has issues (quite a few), but it deserves recognition and the story and voice acting is incredible.

Madness

4.5 million sold in the first week. Wtf. Barely anyone on my friends list played the game. Are they sure it isn't shipped? Congrats if true. The videos I watched it seemed like it was well made. Wanted to pick it up myself but on sale. Seems like Mafia 4 will be a huge hit.

Vinc

Oh wow. By far the worst Mafia game, but I guess now they'll get another shot and get it right next time. The story is much better than the gameplay.

I guess the fastest selling quote doesn't include Rockstar games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The game seemed like it was really well marketed. I'm not surprised it did well, but I am surprised it did this well.

Zones

And Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies in a week!

My point? the actual sales of Mafia III could very well be way off from the shipped number we have here.

g11

Sounds like that disgruntled 2K employee was way off the mark (they said sub 1m sales to date and it needed like 8m to break even IIRC). Congrats to the devs and all but this is just going to reinforce the notion that no early review copies are good for business and that's not great for us in the long run.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Haven't played the game but surprised and happy. Hopefully this means we can get an improved mafia 4 after how much I loved 2

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh wow. By far the worst Mafia game, but I guess now they'll get another shot and get it right next time. The story is much better than the gameplay.

I guess the fastest selling quote doesn't include Rockstar games.
Gameplay is way better than the other two Mafia games though, (repetition aside I mean things like movement, shooting, melee, driving, etc.).

Top Bottom