• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Cornbread78

b6xe9By.jpg

Developer: Hangar 13
Publisher: 2K Games
Distributor: Take-Two Interactive
Director: Haden Blackman
Composer(s): Jesse Harlin, Jim Bonney
Platforms: PS4, XB1, Windows, OS X
Release date: October 7, 2016
Genre: Action-adventure
Mode: Single-player

Box Art:
yWkHjmj.jpg

Collecter's Edition:
zoTh494.jpg

•Deluxe Edition of the game (including the digital season pass and preorder bonus)
•2 Collectible Art Prints
•Art Book
•Lincoln Clay Dog Tags
•Faux Leather Establishment Drink Coasters
•2LP Vinyl, one with the score, one with the following licensed music

* 3 Paid DLC expansions are in the works for future release
- If you buy the story expansions separately, they will run you a total of $39.97. With the Season Pass, you get them all for $29.99. (Or, if you buy the Deluxe Edition of Mafia III for $79.99, it includes the full game and the Season Pass – which saves you a total of $19.97*
https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/e...ing-to-mafia-3

PC Specs:
kxFTpce.jpg

PC Performance Thread:
NeoGAF Mafia 3 PC Performance Thread

Story:
Mafia III is set in the year 1968, and revolves around Lincoln Clay, a biracial orphan. As a boy, he was adopted by black mobsters and later served in the Vietnam War. After being discharged, he returned to New Bordeaux (a fictionalized version of New Orleans) and was subsequently inducted into the black mob. For his first assignment, he works with Giorgi Marcano, heir to the Marcano crime family, to rob the Federal Reserve. The money is divided evenly, but Giorgi and his father have other plans. They stage an ambush at a black-owned bar, killing all of the mob's leaders and leaving Lincoln for dead with a bullet in his skull. After a friendly priest, Father James, saves his life, Lincoln sets out to rebuild the mob and exact revenge against the Marcano and their associates. He also seeks the help of other crime bosses, including Cassandra, Burke, and Vito Scaletta.

e2CpDU1.jpg

•Lincoln Clay:
He is a Vietnam War veteran who starts his own criminal empire while seeking revenge after the Marcano Crime Family killed his adopted family, the Black Mob, and left him for dead.

•Cassandra
Cassandra is a member of the Haitian Mob in New Bordeaux. When Baka, leader of the Haitians, is killed by Lincoln Clay, she takes over and forms an unlikely alliance with Lincoln. She's as ruthless as she is mysterious, but one thing is for certain: The Haitian mob's alluring "Voodoo Queen" will destroy the human trafficking trade in New Bordeaux, no matter the cost.

•Thomas Burke
Thomas Burke is the leader of the Irish Mob in New Bordeaux, operating out of Burke's Iron & Metal, a local salvage yard. He once ran all the rackets in Pointe Verdun for the Marcano Crime Family, including car thefts and vehicle chop shops. In the middle of 1966, they had a falling out over a lost shipment and Marcano muscled in and took over all of his operations. In order to regain what he once had, he joins with Cassandra and Vito Scaletta as one of Lincoln Clay's underbosses.

•Tony Derazio
Tony Derazio is a capo in the Marcano Crime Family. He is Marcano's money man and runs the rackets in the Downtown district of New Bordeaux.

•John Donovan
Became close friends and colleagues with Lincoln during their time in Vietnam. Donovan reunites with Lincoln in New Bordeaux, where he reprises his role as handler and trusted source for Lincoln, supplying him with intelligence and advanced government technology in his effort to take out the Marcano Crime Family.

•Father James
Father James is a spiritual adviser and adoptive uncle to Lincoln Clay.

•Vito Scaletta
Vito is the leader of the Italian Gang and runs the River Row district of New Bordeaux for the Marcano Crime Family. He began working for them after his exile from Empire Bay as part of a deal negotiated by Leo Galante after he had massacred a large portion of the Empire Bay Triads, a Chinese criminal organization who operate out of Chinatown in that city.

•Giorgi Marcano
Giorgi Marcano is Sal Marcano's son and an underboss in the Marcano Crime Family. Giorgi has been groomed by his father to one day take over as head of the family but rather than stick with the old traditions, he wants to usher in a new era for the family and New Bordeaux.

•Lou Marcano
Lou Marcano, better known as Uncle Lou, is Sal Marcano's brother, and a capo in the Marcano Crime Family in Mafia III. He runs the rackets in the French Ward district of New Bordeaux.

•Olivia Marcano
Sal Marcano's sister-in-law and a caporegime in the Marcano Crime Family.

Character Trailers:
Lincoln: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDVn08DROo
Cassandra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvQH-rFadVY
Burke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPZD653XN
Vito: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW6767-W7fk

WLorSlG.jpg

NEW BORDEAUX, A REIMAGINED 1968 NEW ORLEANS:
A vast, diverse and seedy open world ruled by the mob and corrupt officials and richly detailed with the sights, sounds and emotionally-charged social atmosphere of the era.

AN UNINTENDED AND LETHAL ANTI-HERO:
Be Lincoln Clay, an orphan and Vietnam veteran hell bent on revenge against the Italian Mafia for the brutal slaughter of the black mob, the closest thing to family he’s ever had.

REVENGE YOUR WAY:
Choose your own personal play-style, from brute force and blazing guns to stalk-and-kill tactics as you use Lincoln’s military training and gathered intel to tear down the Italian Mafia.

A NEW FAMILY ON THE ASHES OF THE OLD:
Build a new criminal empire in your own unique way by deciding which of your lieutenants you reward, and which you betray…

Also, for everyone that buys Mafia III – whether it’s through pre-orders, day one purchase or those who wait; the developers are delivering free new features and content after the game launches. Here’s a quick rundown of what you can look forward to:

All New Character Outfits:
New outfits will allow you to select a look that suits your tastes and define your take on Lincoln.
CeUgHTj.jpg

New Weapons:
30 days after the game launches, everyone gets the “Judge, Jury and Executioner” golden weapons pack.
YzEM9l5.jpg

More Vehicle Customization:
Devs will be expanding upon the vehicle upgrades that already exist in Mafia III by adding new customization options. You can cherry out your favorite ride with new wheels, personalized license plates, and paint jobs. And, yes, you will get even more options to boost the performance on your vehicles.
ZWVSUMK.png

Free Races:
Take your tricked-out fleet into the city and enter a series of races. From there, you can earn money, new customization options for your car, and other awesome rewards.
Fk4UzC4.png

More stories from New Bordeaux
These are wholly separate experiences that reveal more about Lincoln Clay’s time in New Bordeaux. As these stories will reveal, the Italian Mafia isn’t the only threat Lincoln faces…

Here’s a quick tease of the three major paid expansions in the works:

"Faster, Baby!"
Fast cars, dramatic chases, and stunt driving take center stage as Lincoln joins forces with his former flame, Roxy Laveau, to take down a corrupt Sheriff terrorizing Civil Rights activists on the outskirts of New Bordeaux.
ICGnCaD.jpg

"Sign of Times"
A string of ritualistic killings has New Bordeaux on the edge of terror. At Father James’ request, Lincoln agrees to hunt down the cult responsible, a quest that will take him from the dark heart of the old bayou to the drug-ridden counterculture of the inner city.
98ozOXH.jpg

"Stones Unturned"
When a merciless rival resurfaces in New Bordeaux, Lincoln must join forces with CIA agent John Donovan to settle a blood feud that began in the war-torn jungles of Vietnam.
svFE7MR.jpg

Along with new story and character additions to New Bordeaux you’ll find new activities to engage in to expand and diversify your criminal empire. And, yes, these paid expansions will also offer exclusive vehicles, weapons, outfits and races based upon their themes.

If you buy the Season Pass, either on its own or through the Deluxe or Collector’s Editions of Mafia III, you’ll get access to these three new story expansions and all the weapons, vehicles and gameplay that comes with ‘em. If you don’t feel like buying a Season Pass, that’s ok, too, because each one of these stories will be available for sale individually.

Playboy Hunt is in:
bnAz2pW.jpg

Media:
0iEoTAu.jpg
FDzgh78.jpg

Tgt1fSn.jpg
xqLc5fV.jpg

gQzWMOW.jpg
NWCWCpz.png

1kxKyDB.jpg
16RrtEs.jpg

Combat System Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=B2I8PlFmERU

District introduction Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjntZ_YOaJ0

TV Ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTRSnmxe6g

Gameplay Demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bjl9wM-og

One Way Road Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdSpFXz8Q4

E3 Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWmeQ14f4Q

Gamescom "Heist" Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvd35Nd8i0I

"Weapons" Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmV5OdBValg

Death Suits You (live action trailer):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYX6CI2LmzE

Q & A:
How big is the Open World?
Well, there are nine disctricts with its own atmosphere and aesthetics, so yeah, it's pretty big.

Can I feed someone to crocodiles?
Sure!

I want to carry tons of weapons and rush everything guns blazing, that's possible, right?
You can carry only one pistol and one long gun, but who said it's not enough to kill everything on your way?

Can I feed myself to crocodiles?
Yep! There is even trophy for that.

Customizable cars?
Of course!

Hm, can I swim?
Nope. Just kidding. Yes you can.

Did someone say stealth?
There is stealth option, you can also choose lethal and non-lethal, but who would go with no kills anyway? It's not fun at all.

Do I have to play previous games to understand Mafia III?
That's not neccessary, but you might want to do that. They are awesome.

Are there any collectables?
It's 2016, who would make a game without collectables?

What do I do now?
Wait for October 7th.

Will there be a PS4 Pro version released?
Yes, Yes there will be Mafia 3 Boses' comments

Trophy list: (spoilers, you've been warned)

Playstation Trophies.org
Xbox Achievements.org

Reviews:
For now:
No Review Copies Prior to Release Thread
(lol)

Metacritic:
PS4 Reviews
XB1 Reviews
PC Reviews

Review Thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1291583&highlight=mafia+3

xn7exMb.gif

6UeMBW1.jpg

* Special thanks to Djostikk for being my right hand man adding additional content, editing and organizing everything to make this OT a "Lincoln Clay" worthy work..

NeoGAF è come una cyber famiglia

A little early OP but I appreciate you putting this out, looking forward to this game and hopefully the lack of reviews before launch won't hurt it. I'll probably wait a few weeks before picking this up

Cornbread78

phant0m

October is an insane month.

MWR and Mafia 3 this week
Gears 4 and PS VR (+ related titles) next week
then World of FF, BF1 and Titanfall 2

Cornbread78

Great quote. Is this from the game?

Yeah:

“You people speak of family like you know what that words means. But you were born into yours. You never had to go looking for some place to belong, never had to bleed in a jungle just to find your real brothers, never had to turn your back on God, just so someone would finally treat you like a son. Family. To you its just a goddamn last name. If you knew what family really meant, you would have never fucked with mine. All that split blood, do you know what it breeds? Loyalty. Family ain’t who you are born with…
…it’s who you die for
.”

Is a Friday release normal?

For Nintendo, yes, but not the norm for multiplatform releases...

That bald, leather jacket wearing costume for Lincoln is the perfect look for someone hell bent on revenge I think. Suits the game perfectly!

SomTervo

Is a Friday release normal?

In Europe, Friday was the standard until the last couple of years when it became the American Tuesday release more typically.

Personally I don't see why anything should be released on a Tuesday. Friday means you get to go home and enjoy it all weekend. Tuesday means you might be able to squeeze in an evening but you'll have to probably bed early and work the next day.

butwhy.gif

Subscribed

Game only cost me £20 on PC too, BIG fan of Mafia I & II

Same. And the same goes for Watch Dogs 2 which is shaping up lovely as well. I'm really excited. I'm tempted to dip on Dishonored 2 which sounds better every week, but it's hovering around £28 which isn't ideal.

Same. And the same goes for Watch Dogs 2 which is shaping up lovely as well. I'm really excited. I'm tempted to dip on Dishonored 2 which sounds better every week, but it's hovering around £28 which isn't ideal.

Where are you guys getting these deals? On Dealzon the cheapest I've seen for Dishonored 2 is around $45, but £28 is around $35. That's a pretty crazy deal.

The tagline is the OT title? Kiiiiiiinda lame, OP.

Looking forward to reviews for this. If it is "1960's GTA" I'll be very dissapointed. Mafia 1 and 2 were very much their own thing.

SomTervo

Where are you guys getting these deals? On Dealzon the cheapest I've seen for Dishonored 2 is around $45, but £28 is around $35. That's a pretty crazy deal.

I probably drop their name too much, but I rely pretty ubiquitously on CDkeys.com.

A lot of people also tout Green Man Gaming a lot, which I need to look at more.

I think these might be UK-only retailers?

Edit: Sorry, we're talking about PC prices. That's probably where we're getting the crazy deals from. Since moving to PC I haven't paid more than £30 for a game (even brand new ones).

I'm so close to being all-in with this but the AI is really bugging me.

Thinking about it, the poor AI in Mafia 2 didn't really bother me because the shootfeel and sense of realism and character was otherwise so good. Hopefully that's the case here.

Also I love stealth even with wobbly/poor AI, so the stealth I've seen in streams looks great to me.

Isn't this a bit early? I thought OTs were within 24 hours of release now. EDIT - I see this has already been mentioned.

Looking forward to reviews for this. If it is "1960's GTA" I'll be very dissapointed. Mafia 1 and 2 were very much their own thing.

Oof. It really looks like they're filling that specific void while R* are busy reading GTAIV for 2020.

Arkanius

That KKK killing GIF.

I really hope the game is good, last time we got no early reviews we got Doom 2016, this years GOTY.
Let's hope.

Cornbread78

Isn't this a bit early? I thought OTs were within 24 hours of release now. EDIT - I see this has already been mentioned..

yeah, about 8-12 hours from launch.

I already PM'd a mod about it, since I forgot this was Friday, not Tues release. Who knows, maybe they leave it open since this shouldn't be a "mega thread" lol.

I am so ready... Open World gaming season is about to begin... Slow walking in 1968 Louisiana and soaking in the sights and sounds is gonna be amazing...

Great OT, thanks much...

N7.Angel

Yeah it's very early for the OT.

I'll wait for reviews and feedback from Gaf, no reviews until launch is usually a sign that the game isn't that great.

pizzacat

Banned
Maaannnnnn I was going to buy this as a Mafia fan anyway and be happy with anything. But they made something I would have gotten gay one anyway it's weird lol

GlamFM

Banned
I think this game looks very, very solid.

But I´ve decided to buy only one open world game for the holidays.

It´s either this or Watch Dogs 2 for me.

One of the rare cases where I will actually wait for reviews - on both.

Top Bottom