• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

kipsta

Re-installing now. Finished the game on launch and decided I'd wait until all the DLC is out to play it all in one shot, since the first two were apparently pretty short.

leng jai

Seems like a good time to jump in now that all the DLC is out. Game is relatively cheap, $36AUD here for the steelbook, game and season pass. Problem is - PS4 Pro o PC? Is the PC version worth the hassle on a 6600k/1070? The reshade screens look incredible. Also, how hard is the platinum trophy?

Oynox

Seems like a good time to jump in now that all the DLC is out. Game is relatively cheap, $36AUD here for the steelbook, game and season pass. Problem is - PS4 Pro o PC? Is the PC version worth the hassle on a 6600k/1070? The reshade screens look incredible. Also, how hard is the platinum trophy?

Platinum requires at least two playthroughs which can be tedious at times because gameplay is, well, repetitive. But if you can greatly shorten one playthrough if you do only what is needed and skip through cutscenes and side missions. There is one trophy which might case trouble asking you to get 5 headshots in 3 seconds.

At least on Xbox there is one glitched achievement as well, after my second playthrough I got not the desired cheevo.

Regarding PC / PS4: Read a couple of posts of this and the previous page. Someone asked the exact same question.

leng jai

Platinum requires at least two playthroughs which can be tedious at times because gameplay is, well, repetitive. But if you can greatly shorten one playthrough if you do only what is needed and skip through cutscenes and side missions. There is one trophy which might case trouble asking you to get 5 headshots in 3 seconds.

At least on Xbox there is one glitched achievement as well, after my second playthrough I got not the desired cheevo.

Regarding PC / PS4: Read a couple of posts of this and the previous page. Someone asked the exact same question.

60fps@1440. Rock solid 30 (and more if unlocked) with 1620p. 2160p @20-30fps.

(everything maxed out)

I'm guessing the demo isn't patched? I tried that a few months ago and it ran like absolute trash even at 1080p.

So with the release of all the dlcs i think it's time for me to jump into this again. How are they compared to the main-game? The good stuff (narrative, set-pieces etcetc) or the bad stuff (that goddamn by the numbers open world schlock that sadly plagued far too much of the game)?

Last dlc sounds really interesting

Filben

The good stuff (narrative, set-pieces etcetc) or the bad stuff (that goddamn by the numbers open world schlock that sadly plagued far too much of the game)?
Every DLC offer optional missions that line up with the usual optional missions you know from the main game (the boring stuff, in my opinion). The primary story missions, however, are in a total different league. You get narrative driven gameplay like you got in Mafia 1 and 2. Faster, Baby! is still somewhat open-world with lots of car-action. Stones Unturned takes even a step further towards traditional Mafia mission design in a cool buddy-action arc. Sign of the Times is even more high quality but takes a complete different theme and setting you have never seen before in a Mafia game and wouldn't expect. You really get surprised of what the developers are capable of but didn't show (or just to little) in the base game.

In short: remember the very first mission from the base game where you get into that federal reserve building and escape through the tunnel with a boat and then through the streets at Mardi Gras? That's how every primary mission of the DLCs is (then again, Faster, Baby! is a bit different there).

Tainted

I decided to bite the bullet and grind the Herbalism to get the required cash to fully renovate Sammy's.

If I left it uncompleted, it would have kept bugging me and I would be reminded of it every time I looked at my Steam list lol

The cash does come in quickly with a fully upgraded grow house...so it isn't too much of a grind I guess, I've just remoted to my home PC from work to sell it off every 20mins or so :D

holygeesus

Banned
How does the DLC incorporate into the game? For example, I completed the original on the PC and have since re-bought the Deluxe edition on PS4, which remains unplayed - can I fire up the PS4 version and play the DLC without touching the main game at all?

dex3108

How does the DLC incorporate into the game? For example, I completed the original on the PC and have since re-bought the Deluxe edition on PS4, which remains unplayed - can I fire up the PS4 version and play the DLC without touching the main game at all?

No, you need to play main game until you reach first sitdown I think.

Tainted

Yay....

PO53OTb.jpg

I guess I am done now :D Hurry up Mafia 4 !!

Lucifon

Any chance of this being updated for the X? Got this on XB1 but never finished it and haven't even touched the dlc yet. Would be a good excuse to go back to it. Almost wish I grabbed it on ps4 pro.

Well it is the last of the announced story DLCs. Whether or not they decide to pad it out with skins, cars etc remains to be seen.

Most likely last one.

Any chance of this being updated for the X? Got this on XB1 but never finished it and haven't even touched the dlc yet. Would be a good excuse to go back to it. Almost wish I grabbed it on ps4 pro.

It would be a Sin not to have a patch out for the X upgrade..on the same boat not touching the gm till..

Okay, so I finished the cult story in the final DLC and I'm doing free-roam stuff now to earn money so I can finish renovations. It seems pretty much everything is done outside of recurring things like street races and weed growing. Is there anything I can do at this point to earn money quicker? This is kind of a drag.

leng jai

The Nyclix Reshade is basically compulsory if you're on PC, makes the game look much better aside from some minor black crush.

finley83

Banned
Speaking of the PC version, has anyone here managed to fix the frame pacing issues at all? I'm locking it at 30FPS through RTSS but if I select (through the in-game options) 60FPS or Unlocked I get chronic stutter, and even at 30FPS it's pretty uneven. I'm running on a 970.

I was anazed how good the demo looked on my Pro

Will pick this up eventually

leng jai

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6205/

You need SweetFX in order to use it.

Personally, I don't like it. The original orange tint is on purpose and suits the 60's style. The reshade over-saturrates many scenes and I don't like to tinker with injections. But it's just personal taste and you should see for yourself!

I agree to an extent, there are definitely instances where it looks oversaturated. That's why I generally never use Reshade, it's never 100% better and it almost always introduces black crush. For Mafia 3 though I prefer it, the base game just washes out image way too much and it's also completely devoid of colour.

Was wondering if anyone can explain this issue I'm having, fairly early story spoilers:
I'm doing the mission where I have to get Grecco with Vito but as I'm chasing him my car just randomly stops and Vito gets out. I can immediately pull away again, but then it does it again and then typically Grecco can escape at that point.

I think this might be happening because I have a popped tire but I've had popper tired in free roam and it has never stopped the car for me. I'm on PC using an Xbox One controller.

Filben

Did you try to restart/abandon the mission in the game's menu?

It takes you a step furhter as just reloading the checkpoint. I had a bug where I loaded a savegame (or could reload the checkpoint) where Lincoln got in a car (with a NPC to drive to a location) and he wouldn't respond to any input other than leaving the car (and to stand there with no reaction).

Abandon the mission helped with that.

Reule

Finished all the DLCs. So gooooood! Really wish there was a New Game+ to bring over most of your weapons, money, some unlocks, and collectibles.

Finished all the DLCs. So gooooood! Really wish there was a New Game+ to bring over most of your weapons, money, some unlocks, and collectibles.

Yeah, I definitely would have gone through again if there was some NG+ incentive. And to knock out some more of those trophies. But the game is just too long to start from scratch again.

holygeesus

Banned
On the PS4 version - is anyone having pausing when driving around, during the destruction mission on the 'Faster Baby' DLC? It seems to be when a lot is going on. Not frame-rate drops but pauses? On a PS4 Pro if that makes a difference.

Nabs

If this is the worst pc port you've played, be thankful. I'm playing on lower settings (old pc) and it seems fine. It looks good, and doesn't stutter or anything annoying.

holygeesus

Banned
I really enjoyed the DLC. It is just a shame you are kinda forced into ploughing through the main game to raise cash for the bar renovation and herb growing missions/activities though.

Top Bottom