• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3: Stones Unturned DLC releases May 30th

psychotron

I personally loved Mafia 3 even in the face of its faults. This DLC looks awesome and gives us more Donovan!

https://youtu.be/fUUq_f5KI9s

Mafia III's next piece of downloadable content hits later this month and features Lincoln Clay helping his old friend John Donovan out with a revenge plot of his own.

Stone Unturned features a new story where Clay joins up with Donovan to track down the traitorous Connor Aldridge who once left Donovan to die. Aldridge has resurfaced with a mercenary army in tow, and now Clay and Donovan must fight together to take him down.

The DLC features new heavy weapons, turreted vehicles, sniper support, and unique rewards. You can watch the "Inside Look" video below to learn more about the Stones Unturned DLC.

I wonder if the new area is mission only or does it add to the area that can be free roamed. Was the small town with the last DLC only in missions?

Seeing as reflections are still broken after over six months it seems like they're not interested. I bought the Deluxe version a couple months ago for like $23 which feels like the right price for it, had to lock the frame rate to 30 and it still had times where it'd just drop, IDK if that was data streaming issues (despite the game being on an SSD) or its ridiculous CPU usage, I thought Watch_Dogs 2 was bad on that front but this game is more so with even less to show for it. WD2 at 30 is at least stable, Mafia 3 still wants to utilize over 90% at points during the day, probably due to GI in that case though.

I'd hope that unlike Faster Baby this DLC is more than a chunk of new area with nothing to do in it with story content that you can get through in under 60 minutes.

EDIT: I'm glad those previews came out that despite the enthusiasm of the people playing it, it was easy to see the game's short comings and issues, I'd been pissed had I paid full price for it. I think I made a GIF of the moment that started my reconsidering buying it day one as I had intended for over a year and just wait for reviews.

Yup.
CRLLLjR.gif

And there was nothing to do in it beyond drive around and cause trouble, guess you could probably do some jumps and trigger the silly log trailers on the side of the road in a couple spots that you can shoot to release.

Unity2012

Are the DLC's good? I hear a lot of repetitiveness complains but also a lot of good things about the story and the world. Also that they patched some of the technical issues.
The game is $20 this month on XBL. I'm thinking of finally getting it

Are the DLC's good? I hear a lot of repetitiveness complains but also a lot of good things about the story and the world. Also that they patched some of the technical issues.

Storywise yes, in terms of gameplay... No. It introduced new things, but didn't refine or polish much things that were in the main game. I enjoyed the game as a whole, but it is repetitive.

The only one that has come out was disappointing. It added a huge new area but was extremely light on content

I'm looking forward to this I love Mafia III and need more of it

Wubbys

Ok i know this off topic but it seems like a place where this might see some eyes. I am stuck on tickshaw harbor(i think its called) I did all the objectives but there is still damage remaining. I have driven around the are for like 20 minutes looking for cars to blow up with no success is my save file borked now?

So the update is available on Steam, no idea if this is just content or if there's any actual fixes included, nothing said yet anywhere I've checked either.

Ok i know this off topic but it seems like a place where this might see some eyes. I am stuck on tickshaw harbor(i think its called) I did all the objectives but there is still damage remaining. I have driven around the are for like 20 minutes looking for cars to blow up with no success is my save file borked now?

I had this happen to me in the same area, I drove around to places I already visited to takedown goons and found money that was there which added to the total damage, I also found random enemies in bars and such and when I took those places down it added to the total.

dreamfall

So the update is available on Steam, no idea if this is just content or if there's any actual fixes included, nothing said yet anywhere I've checked either.

Huge update, really hoping for some optimization! Can't wait to dive into the new chapter - we need patch notes! 9.9 GB

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Really hope this update improves performance. Mafia 3 is the only game that makes my system run like a jet engine. Witcher 3, Prey, GTAV all maxed all still have a good deal of overhead on my 1080ti and temps have never been a problem, but Mafia 3 runs full utilization and pushes temps to 80/90s with the fans blowing full bore. Freaked me out. Never had that issue with my 970.

Really want to dive into the DLC, so hopefully I don't have to worry about the game melting my rig.

jryeje29

I really gotta get back into this game, it just got too repetitive gameplay wise for me but I did enjoy the story itself. Plus the general consensus here seems to be the dlc is good. I wonder if it'll be possible to get back into easily or will I have to start a new game.

Can't wait to play with Donovan! The first DLC was ok and introduced the police chase aspect a lot more and destroying certain areas with the Nightcrawler was pretty cool. I'm intrigued to see what they will introduce with this DLC.

heringer

Are the DLC's story based? About how long do they last? I quite enjoyed the original and would be up for some more.

Are the DLC's story based? About how long do they last? I quite enjoyed the original and would be up for some more.

Yes, they are. The first one was bout 5 hours for me.

Did they ever fix a lot of the port issues on PC? problems with shaders, weird lighting and stuff?

I play on PS4 Pro and still get a lot of glitchiness. It doesn't look like they are going to bother patching.

heringer

I play on PS4 Pro and still get a lot of glitchiness. It doesn't look like they are going to bother patching.

Hey, that's not too bad. If I can get at least 10 hours of new content from the 3 DLC's, I might get the season pass. When is the third one coming?

The game has a lot of flaws, but I swear Mafia 3 was one of the best times I had this generation.

The first DLC was in March, and this one came out today. So I'm guessing the last one will be some time in July.

The DLC that dropped today was what I was waiting for. Donovan is a character worth a full DLC story.

sflufan

Banned

How on earth did you get 5 hours out of "Faster, Baby!"?!?

It took me about two hours to complete the story missions and even then I thought I mucked around for about 30 minutes.

Hopefully this one is more substantial.

dex3108

How on earth did you get 5 hours out of "Faster, Baby!" ?!?

It took me about two hours to complete the story missions and even then I thought I mucked around for about 30 minutes.

Probably by doing side missions too.

dreamfall

Just finished the DLC, I spent 3ish hours with it. The missions with Donovan are so much fun - such a good rapport between the two, some high octane set pieces, and a really intriguing storyline of American treason. The bounty hunt missions finally make use of the trunk and picking up enemies, and some hilarity ensues.

The outfits are great, the new vehicle I don't care for but it's a nice addition. The new area is such a beautiful change of pace, a really good environmental mashup of jungle areas and military bases.

I must say, the features that Hangar 13 have continually added have been awesome. Sniper support is a nice way to take out enemies from afar, and the gunplay and turret sections are familiar and solid. I still think the gunplay and driving in this game are the best in the third person open world crime genre, and the set pieces here are fantastic.

JosephB2K

Neo Member
Just finished the DLC, I spent 3ish hours with it. The missions with Donovan are so much fun - such a good rapport between the two, some high octane set pieces, and a really intriguing storyline of American treason. The bounty hunt missions finally make use of the trunk and picking up enemies, and some hilarity ensues.

The outfits are great, the new vehicle I don't care for but it's a nice addition. The new area is such a beautiful change of pace, a really good environmental mashup of jungle areas and military bases.

I must say, the features that Hangar 13 have continually added have been awesome. Sniper support is a nice way to take out enemies from afar, and the gunplay and turret sections are familiar and solid. I still think the gunplay and driving in this game are the best in the third person open world crime genre, and the set pieces here are fantastic.

Hey, just wanted to chime in and say thanks for sharing your thoughts on the DLC! Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Fantastic DLC so far

With the biggest criticism so far is that these are short (2-3 hours at most), I demand more.

The game just oozes class in its atmosphere.

And Lincoln and Donovan are some the best characters created this gen, how the interact with each other and the world is great stuff.

The sublime gunplay, man, every other 3rd person shooter just pales in comparison.

How on earth did you get 5 hours out of "Faster, Baby!"?!?

I didn't run straight through it. I died a few times trying to
get all the destructible jumb scenes and cool ways to kill the KKK members.

I also did all the side missions. It definitely took me more than 2 hours. I estimated as it took me a few hours each night over a weekend.

I'm glad it wasn't too long as the original game got repetitive after the first few hours.

Going to jump on Stones Unturned this weekend! Hype!

Krakn3Dfx

I'll wait and see what impressions are. Mafia 3 is one of the few open world GTA-type games that I play to the end, and I loved every minute of it despite some repetitiveness, but wasn't impressed by what I saw of the first DLC drop.

I finished this in about 2.5 hours. It was good but seemed definitely shorter than the first DLC. Something about this DLC seemed to bring out all the glitches and my lord the pop-in was horrible. Good story, though.

I need to pick up the season pass for this game some day. More Mafia III is a good thing. There's one more piece of DLC coming right? Maybe I'll wait for that so I can play it all at the same time.

So you have to drive to a location for this DLC? I just started a new game and was surprised there was no option to go to the DLC, or even just a message to say this new DLC content is now available (like say fallout 4 does) since I see it in my DLC list on steam but its not showing me a sign of the new content.

Top Bottom