• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition Reviews

Roufianos

80 Metacritic at the time of posting which really isn't bad considering it's a faithful remake of the original. Interesting though that it's yet another H13 game full of bugs.

Here's ACG's review:

GymWolf

Yeah i don't know, i really didn't liked mafia 3 gameplay that much, it was always on the verge of breaking himself...

Kuranghi

Yeah i don't know, i really didn't liked mafia 3 gameplay that much, it was always on the verge of breaking himself...

This is nothing like 3 in terms of gameplay, its very linear and a great story with good variety in its missions settings/gameplay.

Its not the going round a map taking out outposts crap.

Definitely, highly recommend this remaster if you liked the themes and story telling of 3.

GymWolf

This is nothing like 3 in terms of gameplay, its very linear and a great story with good variety in its missions settings/gameplay.

Its not the going round a map taking out outposts crap.

Definitely, highly recommend this remaster if you liked the themes and story telling of 3.
I was not even talking about the open world part, even during gunfights in mafia 3 there is always the chance of broken ia, glitchy animations etc, it was really unpleasant to play (unpleasant maybe is exagerated but you get the gist), and onestly looking the videos for this one it doesn't seem that different, animation work is still amateur hour for the most part.
But i'm really picky with this stuff, most people is probably good with this level.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ah didn't see you changed your avatar, if I'd known it was you compagno then I would've known you are most look for superb animation and challenging combat above other things. So as you say, this one ain't gonna be for you.

If a story/characters are great can you put up with subpar animation/challenge?

GymWolf

Ah didn't see you changed your avatar, if I'd known it was you compagno then I would've known you are most look for superb animation and challenging combat above other things. So as you say, this one ain't gonna be for you.

If a story/characters are great can you put up with subpar animation/challenge?
yes.

i played a lot of games with shitty combat and animations.

But to be perfectly honest, i'm not really a fan of mob stories in general, i only played mafia 1 on pc because i'm sicilian and my father thought that a game about mafia was nice to play :lollipop_squinting: (in sicily they fucking love mob stuff)

and then i tried mafia 3 because the combat looked meaty from trailers.

do we know each other from another forum?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I had such a wonderful time with Mafia when it originally released. I kind of want to avoid the remaster as to not tarnish the nostalgia.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Picked it up on steam, I did not play it the first time around.

I grabbed the "definitive trilogy".....anyone have comments on the other two games in that pack?

Justin9mm

I grabbed the "definitive trilogy".....anyone have comments on the other two games in that pack?
Mafia 2 is also good but shows it's age, I really wish they remastered this one after Mafia 1.

Mafia 3 is not a great experience in comparison. The game being not as linear suffers from the same open world issues of just same same filler missions. It's a little clunky at times and I got bored. It's very grindy and repetitive.

CitizenX

Banned
Mafia 2 is also good but shows it's age, I really wish they remastered this one after Mafia 1.

Mafia 3 is not a great experience in comparison. The game being not as linear suffers from the same open world issues of just same same filler missions. It's a little clunky at times and I got bored. It's very grindy and repetitive.

Mafia 3 easily one of the most disappointing games in the past 5 yrs, maybe gen. that trailer, music, look and like almost everything today was killed by old gameplay and bad AI.

M.W.

Dudes, this game has a layer of vaseline all over it. Some sort of odd ghosting going on that you can't get rid of. Sucks.

wipeout364

I have never played the original.

Mafia 2 is a lot of fun but plays like older open world games(lots of driving around not a lot to do but the main story missions). It’s a better game if you have some love for mob stories.

Mafia 3 is a completely different beast. It’s a modern open world game with all the good and bad that comes with that. Lots of side missions lots of driving (it’s a pretty big world). The mission variety is a bit weak. I thought the story was really good and this is coming from someone who was prepared to not like it due to it not being about the classic mafia. The game probably overstays it’s welcome a bit but I liked it in the end as much as two.

LordCBH

I have never played the original.

Mafia 2 is a lot of fun but plays like older open world games(lots of driving around not a lot to do but the main story missions). It’s a better game if you have some love for mob stories.

Mafia 3 is a completely different beast. It’s a modern open world game with all the good and bad that comes with that. Lots of side missions lots of driving (it’s a pretty big world). The mission variety is a bit weak. I thought the story was really good and this is coming from someone who was prepared to not like it due to it not being about the classic mafia. The game probably overstays it’s welcome a bit but I liked it in the end as much as two.

I absolutely adore the story and characters of 3. The team did such a good job writing those and the dialogue was excellent as well.

the gameplay though. The Uber repetitive “take over each district to unlock more story missions” ended up being an absolute drag to me.

brap

Banned
Wow this is epic! I'm glad they added retarded garbage that wasn't in the original game!

gOdKTnh.jpg

wipeout364

I absolutely adore the story and characters of 3. The team did such a good job writing those and the dialogue was excellent as well.

the gameplay though. The Uber repetitive “take over each district to unlock more story missions” ended up being an absolute drag to me.
I forgot to mention the soundtrack to three is great and the playboy collectibles in 2 and 3 are cool.

M.W.

Refunded. No matter what I did I couldn't get the blurry white ghosting issue to resolve. Absolutely unplayable for me.

scalman

done it in 2 evenings. on pc. and its not much to do there in open world just missions rly so i just did story nothing else... i played back in the day original mafia 1 and i remeber there was more into moment how i meat sarah and some intimate sccenes where there , more to it, and now it was nothing ... wtf devs ? but game was good, very scripted, but good i enjoyed it . i duno gtx 1060 6gb maxed it on 1080p so nothing more to see there no matter what specs you have there.
just why they couldnt do as original or even more

Last edited:
Mafia 1 was always the best in the trilogy

Mafia 1 was a masterpiece then, it got rave reception even from the likes of gamespot and ign. Funny thing is, even this gimped remake of the original, it scored higher than both Mafia 2 and Mafia 3. Wonder what the feeling must be for hangar13. Your own game from the franchise you hacked gets 60's and is forgotten the next week. And when you're copying the original, even when you do an inferior job, you almost brake 80.

scalman

i liked mafia 3 as well as lots side missions to do in map if you want ... not best ones but still they there so i did them .. wish they put them in mafia remaster too there ... i love those old cars .. shame its not much to do with them there.

JayK47

Not your grandpops Mafia, that is for sure. A lot has changed since the original, and this is going off memory. I remember strolling around a lot more, taking in the scenery and enjoying the cars. I am just going from mission to mission in this one and could care less about the cars. Combat is better, but it was awful in the original. The story seems the same, but I think they made changes to the mission areas. Overall, seems like a weird game to reboot since they did such a halfassed job of it.

JayK47

Wrapped it up just past 12 hours. Nice short game overall. I have fond memories of the original, but after watching the comparison, the new game is definitely better. Just not a lot of surprises with a remake. I knew how it would end.

The race was improved and was not nearly as frustrating. I remember that being a bitch in the original game. I got through it on the first try with the definitive edition.

wolywood

Not your grandpops Mafia, that is for sure. A lot has changed since the original, and this is going off memory. I remember strolling around a lot more, taking in the scenery and enjoying the cars. I am just going from mission to mission in this one and could care less about the cars. Combat is better, but it was awful in the original. The story seems the same, but I think they made changes to the mission areas. Overall, seems like a weird game to reboot since they did such a halfassed job of it.
Character movement is still incredibly wonky and frustrating. Makes RDR2 feel like Doom Eternal.

Top Bottom