• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAFIA - Remake Gameplay Reveal

Thirty7ven

Banned

Hangar 13 president and chief creative officer Haden Blackman walks you through 14 minutes of gameplay from the upcoming from-the-ground-up remake of the 2002 classic crime game, Mafia. Mafia: Definitive Edition will be released on September 25 for $39.99 or as part of the $59.99 Mafia

Is that PS5 footage? (White X) XSX? PC?

Is that Ray Tracing? RT reflections I’m pretty sure.

It looks incredible!

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I honestly couldn't tell if that is current gen or next gen.That footage looked like it could be the XB1X/Pro version

Last edited:
That looks like Ray Traced reflections to me as well. But I'd say it's either Series X or (most likely) PC version being played on the Xbox Controller.

At the 8:02 minute mark a D-Pad shows up and it looks like the Xbox controller...

Graphics looks great, and gameplay is too early to tell. I just hope we don't get the same dumb enemy A.I. from Mafia 3.

Rikkori

That's PC footage, no ray tracing. You can easily tell by how many times reflections are otherwise missing in the puddles, eg 10:11

Last edited:
I miss the old voice actors, the lip sync looks off and Paulie and Sam faces look shit, otherwise looks alright. Bit generic but fuck it, I’ll play it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I hope they keep czech dubbing, probably the only one, which stands out among the Czech dubbing scene, because it was created with particular actors in mind.

Aside from the shooting which seems ripped straight from Mafia 3, it looks surprisingly decent, with nice graphics.

Last edited:

Senua

I miss the old voice actors, the lip sync looks off and Paulie and Sam faces look shit, otherwise looks alright. Bit generic but fuck it, I’ll play it.
Voice acting seems way worse than the original tbh.

Roufianos

Looks amazeballs.

As someone who loved Mafia II but was too young to really enjoy the original, this could be as good as a real Mafia III.

Last edited:

Tschumi

mafia 2 is probably the most impressed i have yet been with a game of that style, including san andreas

I never played the original but I really liked Mafia 2.
I'm definitely interested getting this for PS5. Looks really good and moody. The voice acting could be better and it feels little bit 2000-ish like the molotov throw and the police AI. I've also understood that the racing missions in the original were pretty much a nightmare? It seems that they have fixed that because they showed a lot of racing clips?

Patrick S.

Banned
Good old Mack "Is it worth a buy" made a video on it, and he wasn't pleased. Mack is like the biggest Mafia fan there is.

Senua

Good old Mack "Is it worth a buy" made a video on it, and he wasn't pleased. Mack is like the biggest Mafia fan there is.
Just got around to watching it, I do have to agree with a lot of his points, but I guess I knew what to expect in a 2020 "remake". Dumbing down was inevitable sadly.

Here's the vid for anyone interested

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Something about it looks wrong. Looks like it will be dated quickly. Maybe its characters.
They made Tommy a gruff gangsta.... not a humble taxi driver anymore

Last edited:

Reindeer

Those grenade/molotov throwing animations though, smh. They also dumbed down the difficulty. Overall it looks ok, but Paulie's look is off and he seems like a sissy in his personality compared to the brash and confident Paulie from the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they re-do that insanely stupid racing mission. I stopped right there before my game crashed and was unable boot up again.

Blond

Banned
I feel like I saw this a couple weeks ago. Was that a leak? Because it's odd that this dropped today + digital foundries tech deep dive at the same time.

carsar

7d321e990aa69f17548548d6648f0d16.png

7cc29d9997eb677068a71be0d942d9d9.png

01bfa0cd65764c6cea6802a07913f74b.png

e90e608dcd765bdec931e4a34b1e7c32.png

115925a254c801f0ab2197d36865a83e.png

Top Bottom