• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGA hats - The Debate

Duallusion

Dec 29, 2010
Hats off to you guys who have the patience for pin-pointing the constant barrage of logical fallacies, double standards, racism and prejudices inherent in so many positions/opinions held by the so-called "good guys" on the (far) left, with MAGA issue being just another example of this behavior.

We really do have to stay vigilant or we'll be swallowed by this insanity.

Last edited:

luigimario

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Objective neutral party here. You have no self-awareness and you're a partisan.

It happens.
Right, you moderate a board with members that cry "fake news" at any criticism of Trump, but you call me the partisan? Okeydoke. You really must be a neutral objective party! Not pandering at all, no sir!/s

Don't worry, the Trump supporters don't have anywhere else to go on the internet, well apart from the_Donald and /pol/.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Hats off to you guys who have the patience for pin-pointing the constant barrage of logical fallacies, double standards, racism and prejudices inherent in so many positions/opinions held by the so-called "good guys" on the (far) left, with MAGA issue being just another example of this behavior.

We really do have to stay vigilant or we'll be swallowed by this insanity.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Right, you moderate a board with members that cry "fake news" at any criticism of Trump, but you call me the partisan? Okeydoke. You really must be a neutral objective party! Not pandering at all, no sir!/s

Don't worry, the Trump supporters don't have anywhere else to go on the internet, well apart from the_Donald and /pol/.
Who cried fake news for what? Also I wonder if you still hold to your Erdogan Trump comparison after my post.

Trump maybe a bad president and yes he is also a nationalist but he is not anything near a nazi. There for this stupid hat is also not such a symbol. If we are talking about an Erdogan Hat or Flag I would agree with you since I have shown you what this person did and does.

Also I love how you admit that Trump supporters get discriminated and threaten on the internet and real life. Just like Hitlers NSDAP did this back than with the opposition. Truly fascist methods....

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Anyone else get the sense that luigimario luigimario gets a sense of self-righteous achievement from battling evil Nazis on the internet?
Meh whatever let him do his thing. I have sparred with him pretty good but in the end I don't want this place to be an echo chamber where opinions are drowned out or people get dog piled on.

Also reading leftist opinions is good. Helps you understand the mindset. I don't want to only have 1 type of information and 1 type of conversation.

This goes for nobody important and brave one and everyone else on here. Even if I don't agree with them would rather they can voice their opinions freely and not be dog piled or mocked and chased out of here because of them. Then we become no better than REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Meh whatever let him do his thing. I have sparred with him pretty good but in the end I don't want this place to be an echo chamber where opinions are drowned out or people get dog piled on.

Also reading leftist opinions is good. Helps you understand the mindset. I don't want to only have 1 type of information and 1 type of conversation.

This goes for nobody important and brave one and everyone else on here. Even if I don't agree with them would rather they can voice their opinions freely and not be dog piled or mocked and chased out of here because of them. Then we become no better than REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
If "opinions" are formulated through lies, they will be called out. Fuck that noise.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

In a real-world scenario where we have to interact with one another and get along, this makes some sense.

But we're on a voluntary internet board talking about games and (occasionally) politics and OT. If you take the time to put your opinion out there, the implicit understanding is that you are inviting agreement, disagreement, criticism, and further discourse.

I don't believe we need limp-noodle "competition is good though" Xbox One apologetics circa 2013. Good opinions from all political perspectives have been on tap at GAF. We have no lack of well-reasoned discourse. Calling out b.s. and "reading leftist opinions" are two separate issues that do not necessarily conflict with one another.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
If "opinions" are formulated through lies, they will be called out. Fuck that noise.
I have no problem calling them out on lies, thats what a debate is. I am just against mocking or trying to silence or run people off the board even if I don't agree with their opinons.

I get a kick out of lies being exposed I love it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I have no problem calling them out on lies, thats what a debate is. I am just against mocking or trying to silence or run people off the board even if I don't agree with their opinons.

I get a kick out of lies being exposed I love it.
Fair enough.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
In a real-world scenario where we have to interact with one another and get along, this makes some sense.

But we're on a voluntary internet board talking about games and (occasionally) politics and OT. If you take the time to put your opinion out there, the implicit understanding is that you are inviting agreement, disagreement, criticism, and further discourse.

I don't believe we need limp-noodle "competition is good though" Xbox One apologetics circa 2013. Good opinions from all political perspectives have been on tap at GAF. We have no lack of well-reasoned discourse. Calling out b.s. and "reading leftist opinions" are two separate issues that do not necessarily conflict with one another.
Again no problem with healthy debate, calling out lies or BS.

Just don't want this place to be an echo chamber where anyone with a different opinion gets drowned and chased out. Even if I don't agree with a lot of the BS I get a kick out of reading it and especially out of seeing their arguments destroyed with truth and reason.

Don't want to make it seem like I am defending anything. Just think everyone should be able to do their thing on here and GAF shouldn't be about only 1 opinion and chasing everyone else away.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Again no problem with healthy debate, calling out lies or BS.

Just don't want this place to be an echo chamber where anyone with a different opinion gets drowned and chased out. Even if I don't agree with a lot of the BS I get a kick out of reading it and especially out of seeing their arguments destroyed with truth and reason.

Don't want to make it seem like I am defending anything. Just think everyone should be able to do their thing on here and GAF shouldn't be about only 1 opinion and chasing everyone else away.
I understand that fear. I would suggest that when the best version of a standpoint is so poor that it keeps getting "drowned and chased out", that should be taken as a natural quality-control valve for the website. This is in lieu of stricter/explicit Mod action and forum rules. I'd prefer for the Stupid to be shouted down instead of banned outright.

I don't take it as you defending anything or being pedantic. I completely understand the sentiment.

My standpoint is that if GAF isn't capable of swatting away stupid versions of an argument, then it isn't capable of having deeper discussion anyway.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I understand that fear. I would suggest that when the best version of a standpoint is so poor that it keeps getting "drowned and chased out", that should be taken as a natural quality-control valve for the website. This is in lieu of stricter/explicit Mod action and forum rules. I'd prefer for the Stupid to be shouted down instead of banned outright.

I don't take it as you defending anything or being pedantic. I completely understand the sentiment.

My standpoint is that if GAF isn't capable of swatting away stupid versions of an argument, then it isn't capable of having deeper discussion anyway.
There is no issue here, because there is no comparison to being vehemently disagreed with and being banned for disagreement.

Solomeena

Jan 8, 2018
Good lord at all of the self-righteous who proclaim a fucking hat as the be all and end all of racism, sexism, and in general just evil incarnate. Some of you just need to seriously stop with the faux outrage bullshit machine that has swallowed up the democratic party, my God.

chaos789

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
Don't know about hats. But I wear this t-shirt in public and I am in the south. No one ever says anything to me about it though. Might be because I have a lot of tattoos and a shaved head.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Don't know about hats. But I wear this t-shirt in public and I am in the south. No one ever says anything to me about it though. Might be because I have a lot of tattoos and a shaved head.

I'd say it's more likely because they don't think a meek political statement printed on a t-shirt qualifies you as a Nazi.

chaos789

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
Lol.

I was only posting the pic of the shirt, to kinda pick on this whole overreaction people have about a red hat. I guess if you agree with whatever message the attire is saying then you approve, but otherwise.

In the end, I do not really care what anyone wears. As long as you leave me alone.

bad

Nov 5, 2013
New York
It’s just a hat for people that are proud to be American and want said Super Power to be better. No different from a bumper sticker.

Last edited:

Shy Fingers

Banned
Aug 3, 2011
"MAGA" is a ambiguous/nothing phrase that people project what they want onto it. Is America not great now; what are we trying to make great again exactly? Ask people what it means and you'll get a multitude of different answers.

When I see someone with this phrase out in public, I naturally assume they're using it for coded language for far right positions. This is why you'll see them as tools at protests and counter-protests, they know what they're doing.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
"MAGA" is a ambiguous/nothing phrase that people project what they want onto it. Is America not great now; what are we trying to make great again exactly? Ask people what it means and you'll get a multitude of different answers.

When I see someone with this phrase out in public, I naturally assume they're using it for coded language for far right positions. This is why you'll see them as tools at protests and counter-protests, they know what they're doing.
:messenger_ok:

Greedings

May 23, 2016

Why isn't Theresa May on there? She's part of the tyrannical right wing, Brexit loving, immigrant hating people.

Ok. It's impossible to type that without laughing.

quickwhips

Jan 26, 2009
I don’t even like Trump, but this thread makes me want to get a MAGA hat just to piss in other liberal’s Cheerios. I cant stand conservative policy, but god damn I hate you “liberals” even more. The left has a malignant tumor that needs a heavy dose of chemo to excise it. Not that the right doesn’t have their own batch of crazies, but the left is currently the home of the most vocal bigoted racist asshats, and the sad thing is their bigotry and racism is considered to be justified.

This. And it has proven to be profitable for the media. They are going to keep on stroking the hate boner until it is nothing but a bloody nub.
I feel the same way. I don’t like trump but what happened to the left that I feel don’t represent me any longer. I don’t even recognize this voca piece of it.

E-Cat

Jan 14, 2013
So lets settle this once and for all. Are MAGA hats just a kitschy hat to show support for Trump that plays on his campaign slogan?

Or are they the same thing as a Swatsika or Klan hood?
No, but they signal that you are not very classy and probably have a low IQ.

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA

DaForest

Banned
Nov 11, 2018
America has never been great for non-whites, so wearing the hate is seen as an act of racial provocation towards non-white people. Are there non-whites who wear the hat? Sure, but their number is so small as to be immaterial to a debate over the slogan's meaning. There were Jews who policed the ghettos and led their Jewish brothers and sisters to the gas chambers, too.

Dec 15, 2011
America has never been great for non-whites, so wearing the hate is seen as an act of racial provocation towards non-white people. Are there non-whites who wear the hat? Sure, but their number is so small as to be immaterial to a debate over the slogan's meaning. There were Jews who policed the ghettos and led their Jewish brothers and sisters to the gas chambers, too.
Fallacy after fallacy after fallacy, including dismissals of evidence and false equivalences.

Outstanding work.

KarneeKarnay

Mar 4, 2014
London, UK
www.markeenrw.com
Not all people who wear MAGA hats are racist, but a lot of racists seem to wear MAGA hats.

I wouldn't put them up there with the KKK white hood, because that was never beating around the bush, but we'll see how things go. Still time to change my mind.

Dec 15, 2011
Not all people who wear MAGA hats are racist, but a lot of racists seem to wear MAGA hats.
Gonna need receipts for this claim.

Seems like a lot of people only have a narrative and nothing else. Projecting their prejudices and blaming their targets for the things they themselves are guilty of.

KarneeKarnay

Mar 4, 2014
London, UK
www.markeenrw.com
Gonna need receipts for this claim.

Seems like a lot of people only have a narrative and nothing else. Projecting their prejudices and blaming their targets for the things they themselves are guilty of.
Why are you picking an argument you can't win?

This is my own opinion. Are you asking me prove that some racists wear MAGA hats? What are you asking for me to prove?

KarneeKarnay

Mar 4, 2014
London, UK
www.markeenrw.com
So, no receipts then. Just narrative. Got it.
Cool. I mean you're asking me to prove an impossible. What is a lot? Would you take 1 or 3? Like a lot to me, is different from a lot to you, it's why we don't use, "a lot" as a unit of measurement. So what are you asking me here? Do I need to define to you what a lot is to me and then prove that the criteria has been met?

Dude, it's fine to be defensive, when you think someone is calling you a racist. I didn't say all MAGA hat wearers are racists, I didn't even say a majority, I said a lot, a unit that can only work for me sooo...are you worried you would fit the criteria?

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
Cool. I mean you're asking me to prove an impossible. What is a lot? Would you take 1 or 3? Like a lot to me, is different from a lot to you, it's why we don't use, "a lot" as a unit of measurement. So what are you asking me here? Do I need to define to you what a lot is to me and then prove that the criteria has been met?

Dude, it's fine to be defensive, when you think someone is calling you a racist. I didn't say all MAGA hat wearers are racists, I didn't even say a majority, I said a lot, a unit that can only work for me sooo...are you worried you would fit the criteria?
Who's Alt are you?

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
Been a member since 2015.

In the immortal words of Shrek..."I'm no ones messenger boy."
Oh so its just coincidence you have not posted in 6 months?
Suddenly today, you show up and in one day post like 20 drive by's in political threads where the discussion is pretty much wrapped up?
*thinking emoji*

Last edited:

KarneeKarnay

Mar 4, 2014
London, UK
www.markeenrw.com
Oh so its just coincidence you have not posted in 6 months?
Suddenly today, you show up and in one day post like 20 drive by's in political threads where the discussion is pretty much wrapped up?
*thinking emoji*
None of them were necros. They'd been updated the same day I posted. Is there some rule I'm not aware of?

I took a break. 6 months ago I got so stirred up by the shit posting here, specifically about the denial of one of the most widely accepted studies into racial bias, that I had to go cold turkey. That said, I'm always afraid that I'll get stuck in an echo chamber and since the mod changes here, I thought why not give it another go.

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
None of them were necros. They'd been updated the same day I posted. Is there some rule I'm not aware of?

I took a break. 6 months ago I got so stirred up by the shit posting here, specifically about the denial of one of the most widely accepted studies into racial bias, that I had to go cold turkey. That said, I'm always afraid that I'll get stuck in an echo chamber and since the mod changes here, I thought why not give it another go.
You are giving it another go alright. :messenger_neutral: