• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renkax

The gf me and for herself a theme magic deck and a toolkit. :) played magic for the first time days ago and I got a lot to learn! Will stick to this threat for the long run :p

Real talk: I hope that Prowling Serpopod is a sign of better countermagic in this set, because otherwise it's just random "Screw Blue Even More". Like, I don't know how we went from Dissolve to Disappearance Act for counters.

Also would kill for a non-Masterpiece reprint of Horizon Canopy/Aether Vial in the near future. Both really just need one more medium sized print run to knock them down to not stupid numbers.

Santiako

The gf me and for herself a theme magic deck and a toolkit. :) played magic for the first time days ago and I got a lot to learn! Will stick to this threat for the long run :p

Hi new here. Right now Im running a red white vehicles for standard and starting to build a cheap Ravenous Intruder one. I can't wait for Amonkhet and the welcome decks to be out, so I can add in Glorybringer to my vehicles deck and Fling for the Ravenous Intruder one.

Fling is the best card

Welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you might have. We love to complain, but we are a welcoming bunch.

Scrap Trawler is a stupid card in EDH. Combined with KCI and some form of artifact cost reduction you're just churning through your graveyard and library.

The egg deck I'm building hardly requires Mom and Dad but they do help. Especialy disgusting With skullclamp.

Tunoku

Spoilers should start at 11 AM EST.

Excited for spoiler season to start, the cards from the actual set they've shown so far have been intriguing.

ultron87

Yay new thread!

Maybe I'll play in a Constructed event again during this block. Maybe. I guess it'd probably be Modern, since that's the only thing I really have together. Just got to update my Affinity sideboard from it's Eldrazi Winter configuration. It has been a bit.

y2dvd

It could be (as an invocation). If not, probably in eternal masters 2 next year.

I don't see them ever bringing Storm back to standard. As others have said, it'll likely have to be in a supplemental set.

Oh I meant as an Invocation, although I guess an Invocation really wouldn't drop the price of the regular one lol. But yeah, hopefully it sees a regular reprint soon in a supplemental set.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Just traded in a bunch of cards to get the parts for legacy burn, modern turns, and Jeskai control. I really needed to sell out of some modern decks because I never play them. Now I'm just down to...well still too much.

The turns deck is awesome. It does cool stuff like draw alot of cards and cast big spells.

OnPoint

Oh I meant as an Invocation, although I guess an Invocation really wouldn't drop the price of the regular one lol. But yeah, hopefully it sees a regular reprint soon in a supplemental set.

Oh that I could totally see. Would be fitting for them to put it out as a crappy, unreadable Yugioh card instead of something widely available and/or desirable.

Santiako

First god:

en_3zm4wIPG70.png
en_NjMBuAVB2Y.png

jph139

Hmm, interesting. Honestly it looks a lot less "special" than I expected. The regular frame is probably the reason there.

Disappointed they didn't go with Jackal God though.

Crocodile

en_3zm4wIPG70.png

Source

I guess unlike the Theros Gods (not a creature until Devotion) these will have other conditions to prevent them from being "on" all the time

EDIT: Dammit I got beat :(

DrArchon

I have no plans to really buy any of this new set, but I have to come in just for another Kev Walker crocodile. It's like Emperor Crocodile never left us.

Red God is wonky and probably terrible, but I could see it going in a RB Madness EDH deck. It's no Purphoros, that's for sure.

OnPoint

Been discussing its potential as a curve topper in a red aggro deck in Modern. Not sure it could get there though.

Tunoku

That new red one drop is interesting. Has potential at least. I'm meh on the God, I think from a playability standpoint it's alright.

If RDW is a thing Hazoret could be the curve topper as you hand should be nearly empty by then. I agree with the others saying he's boring as hell though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Don't worry, it's the red god, it was never gonna be all that good. Green and blue are the ones to look out for.

ultron87

In a burn deck, I could maybe see it. Turning your extra lands into expensive shocks and occasionally attacking for 5 indestructible could be a big game. But then you probably need to play more lands in the first place to play a 4 drop. Hmm.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
That Red God is......pretty eh?.

It kinda sorta goes along with Red Burn as a potential finisher (with player-only shock), but even for draw-go burn decks, that feels pretty limiting.

Don't worry, it's the red god, it was never gonna be all that good.

Lol, too true. But I'm kind of curious now as to what the other color gods will have as 'limitations', now, since devotion must be Theros-specific or something.

Cartouche seems decent for a white deck, first strike could be important early.

Santiako

I think you are undervaluing Hazoret. The card is boring but very strong.

Don't worry, it's the red god, it was never gonna be all that good. Green and blue are the ones to look out for.

Yeah, it's not like Purphoros is good or anything.

It's good that they've finally acknowledged that the way a zombie acts isn't actually black at all. Next step should be green and/or red zombies in another setting.

I think you are undervaluing Hazoret. The card is boring but very strong.

Exactly. She's a beater that can't be destroyed while also being a (relatively expensive) discard outlet that can burn out your opponent. It's very "red smashes face" and very dull as a result, but it should be effective.

Frame is so bad that it read Hazoret the Pervert lol

en_NjMBuAVB2Y.png

Aaaaaaand now that's all I can see.

traveler

Not Wario
Not a fan of hazoret, but I like most of the limited fodder. Art looks solid too, especially the new Walker croc.

Edit: oh god, it's totally Hazoret the Pervert.

I'm a bit confused about why this is the way it is. I mean, I like the split/name focus, but.. why is the Pump Instant while the can't be blocked Sorcery, and how is can't be blocked in Green now?

It's must be blocked not can't be blocked. It's a Lure effect which has been green since forever. Also, it's a sorcery because there's almost no value to ever triggering that sort of effect at instant speed and it would only lead to confusion with people trying to cast it during Declare Blockers or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom