• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

For those that have gone over cards or have actually played the new ones in Hour of Devestation, is it worth it buying a booster box? Or not many good cards to really go after? I'm sure this is a silly question though.
Bought a box, since I buy a box of every set, and this is probably around Dragon's Maze levels of bad. Not opening an Invocation puts the value down even more.

Just get the few cards youbwamt and call it a day. If you want some full arts, yupu cam get about twenty in the fat pack and still play pack lottery, but I don't recommend it.

was that W/U Monument against the planeswalker deck? I loved how commentators talked shit about the deck and the double Dovin Baan. "Here comes the second Dovin Baan, the opponent could Negate him but - just doesn't want to"

"Were you waiting for a juicier target to Negate?"
"No, no... I would just... prefer that he have Dovin Baan, really."

Justin

Listened to Roswatters Amonkhet design podcast on my run this morning and there were a few interesting things

- the trials were originally quests you would play and had several objectives you would try to fulfill during the match and after completing all of them you would cash in the trial for a big reward. They liked the flavor but they were too much of build arounds to be fun. There were also only originally only three trials, White, green and black.

- there was "super cycling" at one point that would allow you to discard the cycling card and an additional card to draw two cards

- An early idea for the split cards was that they would all be sorcery on one side and instant on the other. Rosewatters idea was that this would help with delirium.

- at one point there were hieroglyphs which got removed because they were too close to clue tokens after they changed the mechanic in SOI during development.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/store-play-evolves-2017-07-16

Starting with Ixalan, no more FNM promos, from now on all foil tokens WTF

Also, Standard Showdown boosters will now include a foil Rebecca Guay land hnnng I really need some of those.

Wow
I wonder if FNM attendance is still low and it's not worth it to support them with Promos?

One of the four LGS in my town (which admittedly is probably too many) lost their ability to host FNM due to low attendance.

EDIT: I actually read the article now. I see how it's changing.

What does this look like, exactly? Each week, stores run Standard Showdown events to help you hone your skills and experiment with the metagame. Once you've put your deck through the crucible of regular weekly play, you'll feel ready to compete for the title of store champion. The Store Championship at the end of the season awaits you, offering foil full-art promo cards that look at the next set just for participating!

In addition to promo cards for everyone, store champion playmats and program-exclusive deck boxes await those who emerge victorious.

Store Championships begin with Ixalan and will be held on December 30–31, with promo items showcasing Rivals of Ixalan!

Hero

kirblar

Why was this clearly planned long in advance change posted on a SUNDAY?
To dump it on a day that will provoke less outrage. It's deliberate, SaffronOlive noted its a pattern now (and he's compeletely right about it)

I haven't gone to barely any FNMs ever, so this is w/e to me.

Santiako

Yeah, I haven't actually gone to a FNM ever either. When I used to play back in the day the store didn't qualify for FNM and since I started playing back my town has no store so I don't really get to play almost ever :(

Repgnar

Does anyone know if other countries have their promos in their respected language? Going to Tokyo the weekend following Ixalan release so I may look into it if they'll be in another language. Was just planning on picking up a booster box of Ixalan and maybe a few other things while there.

Santiako

There's gotta be a pirate companion that's a token.I'll be down for it

So far we know of Treasure tokens and 1/1 white lifelink Vampire tokens I think. So there has to be a few more.

Does anyone know if other countries have their promos in their respected language? Going to Tokyo the weekend following Ixalan release so I may look into it if they'll be in another language. Was just planning on picking up a booster box of Ixalan and maybe a few other things while there.

I know other European countries get Spanish, Italian, French, German, etc so I assume Japan is the same.

The Game Day change is smart. Right now there's a limit how much people care about the Game Day events, putting them at the end of each set and leading with cards from the next set makes these make more sense overall.

The Standard Showdown change is very good, people are gonna go nuts for those foil Guay lands.

The FNM change is kind of mystifying to me. It's not like this is cheaper (on the contrary, it's probably pricier.) I guess the idea is that they want FNM promos to promote the current set (logical) and they can't reliably pick three cards from the current set that will be desirable to use as promos, while tokens will usually have a lot of value no matter what? I guess? It seems to me like it'd be hard to get this to provide the level of "free" value that they want FNMs to have.

kirblar

The Game Day change is smart. Right now there's a limit how much people care about the Game Day events, putting them at the end of each set and leading with cards from the next set makes these make more sense overall.

The Standard Showdown change is very good, people are gonna go nuts for those foil Guay lands.

The FNM change is kind of mystifying to me. It's not like this is cheaper (on the contrary, it's probably pricier.) I guess the idea is that they want FNM promos to promote the current set (logical) and they can't reliably pick three cards from the current set that will be desirable to use as promos, while tokens will usually have a lot of value no matter what? I guess? It seems to me like it'd be hard to get this to provide the level of "free" value that they want FNMs to have.
I think the promo changes are partially linked to the need to get Median pack EV back up. This is the second change that directly affects it. (first being killing off Masterpieces)

Okay, pack it up y'alls, I don't think anyone's gonna beat "the FNM changes are part of WotC's concerted effort to kill off paper" for galaxy-brain-level hot takes on these announcements.

I think the promo changes are partially linked to the need to get Median pack EV back up. This is the second change that directly affects it. (first being killing off Masterpieces)

This seems a lot more indirect. How are FNM promos, given the supply they're at, negatively affecting EV?

Daedardus

Yeah, there's gotta be nearly a 100% chance that a "Pirate" token is in Ixalan, right?

What stats would it have? 1/1 Menace?

Still a minor tragedy that Ragavan is not a Pirate Monkey :(

If I recall correctly, Ixalan has 2/2 black pirate tokens with presumably lifelink.
Therr are some rares leaked that create the token.

Santiako

FEGBgYn.png

SCG Top 8

"Psychatog was originally the name for the white/blue Atog in the cycle, but at the last minute I swapped its name with the blue/black one (I was in Charge of names for Odyssey) because I thought Psychatog was the best name and the blue/black one was the strongest card."

this is (as far as I can tell) a brand new trivium, and I think in retrospect he clearly made the right call.

Santiako

I saw someone streaming U/W Monument in Modern today and doing okay with it at least from what I watched.

One made 5-0 yesterday, looks really solid

"Psychatog was originally the name for the white/blue Atog in the cycle, but at the last minute I swapped its name with the blue/black one (I was in Charge of names for Odyssey) because I thought Psychatog was the best name and the blue/black one was the strongest card."

this is (as far as I can tell) a brand new trivium, and I think in retrospect he clearly made the right call.

Yeah, Psychatog is iconic so he nailed it.

The promo changes just smack of throwing in the towel. They're not gonna be able to make FNM any more appealing than it already is without notably impacting their bottom line. It's also cutting their losses, there's an entire cycle of players that they pushed out of standard and into modern and EDH that will never be coming back so they're moving on.

They had a hard time of reliably picking cards from previous sets for FNM promos too. They recently had Call the Bloodline, Fortune's Favor, Incendiary Flow, and Servo Exhibition/

For those not watching, Jonathan Job used Eldrazi Obligator to take control of Elder Deep-Fiend, then used Ahn-Crop Crasher and Ramunap Ruins for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom