• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosewater was pretty explicit that they got nothing but negative feedback about this. They already started walking it back just in M15.

They even learned from this with Atogs. Rosewater clearly wanted Atog to be in Kaladesh but the community told him it had to be recognizably Atog or not an Atog. So we got Gremlins instead.

Crocodile

Well then.

h7dc1TQ.jpg

Fugly art but this is my favorite of the cards they have revealed so far. I'm really bummed this is the only one of this cycle that made it to print :(

Poppy

yeah casting fortunate few seems like a really bad idea, people are just going to screw you over

at least that would happen in every game that i cast it

yeah casting fortunate few seems like a really bad idea, people are just going to screw you over

at least that would happen in every game that i cast it

You apparently play with really weird people.

Usually a board wipe gets brought down because a specific player is getting out of control, in which case everyone but that player is generally grateful for it, and is going to be extra grateful if you're providing an opportunity for them to salvage some of their own board.

Poppy

i play on mtgo with randos so yes you are correct

you dont expect anything well reasoned when you join one of those games

Is the MTGO EDH community really that bad? I think most games I've played in (offline, in person) there's been at least one roundabout the table where I've had people literally ask the table if anyone could please sweep the board.

Heck, with my Child of Alara deck I've had scenarios where players team up to find a way to crack it so they can get the board cleared.

I have some sweet news! I am a winner of the Channel Fireball summer giveaway! I don't know what prize I want to select yet but it's pretty awesome to win!

New commander decks are up on Massdrop for $100 for all four, free shipping.

Probably worth it.

Link! My kids want a couple of the decks and instead of pay $90 for two at Walmart I'd rather pay $100 for all four.

Up until last year, they were printed to demand. Starting with C16 they seem to be a limited print-run. Wizards Direct stopped carrying C16 just a few weeks after release; though there's a very slim chance that they just underestimated the popularity of 4-color commanders, but I doubt it.

I can still find the Atraxa deck printed in Japanese at Walmart. I doubt the Japanese version holds as much value. Why they have Japanese Commander decks at an American Walmart I do not know.

Phages for everyone!

That's awesome.

I can still find the Atraxa deck printed in Japanese at Walmart. I doubt the Japanese version holds as much value. Why they have Japanese Commander decks at an American Walmart I do not know.

Presumably they had stock created for Japan that never moved (Commander may not be very popular in Japan relative to Magic's general popularity there?), so rather than sending the excess stock to Japanese stores they sent it to a market where they were still moving product.

So..... What do you think I should pick as my prize? Either $100 in CFB credit, OR one of these three prize crates:
http://store.channelfireball.com/products/search?query=summer+sale+booster+crate

Presumably they had stock created for Japan that never moved (Commander may not be very popular in Japan relative to Magic's general popularity there?), so rather than sending the excess stock to Japanese stores they sent it to a market where they were still moving product.

I see, that is interesting. Thanks.

jph139

So..... What do you think I should pick as my prize? Either $100 in CFB credit, OR one of these three prize crates:
http://store.channelfireball.com/products/search?query=summer+sale+booster+crate

The $100 is probably the best value there if there's actual singles and such that you want to buy. But personally I'd gamble on one of the prize packs and hope my luck keeps up with a good Masterpiece or Masters pull. I think Kaladesh still has the highest value of those three?

Yeah, I'm thinking those lines too... I'd probably pull all jank.

It's a pretty sweet retail value though.
1 Kaladesh OR Aether Revolt OR Amonkhet Booster Box
1 Eternal Masters Booster Pack
1 Modern Masters 2017 Booster Pack
1 Modern Masters 2015 Booster Pack
4 Recent Booster Packs (Return to Ravnica block forward)
1 Spindown Life Counter
2 Ultra PRO Sleeves (50 ct.)
1 Ultra PRO Deck Box

It comes with a spindown counter and a Return to Ravnica booster pack, how can you top that value?

lol

You don't have to choose RTR... the gamble to pull a foil shock land is so low...
I'd rather do what Familienoberhauptvogel suggested and try my luck on a Fetch.

But really, I should just go for the credit. Ironically I had a cart full of cards on tcgplayer that I hadn't purchased yet, and about 80% of the cards were from CFB anyway. I may as well just purchase all of the cards from CFB now using the credit.

And other than pulling a foil Snapcaster Mage, which admittedly is pretty awesome, my luck with cracking any of the "Masters" packs has been very, very bad. Even so much as pulling TWO separate copies of the same jank rare.

Mirror of the Forebears is kind of just an underwhelming Mirage Mirror. Yes, it's cheaper, but one colorless casting and activation cost are super trivial savings for EDH, and it's way, way more limited. That said, Mirage Mirror is a format all-star, so plenty of decks can probably roll with both.

Hey, I almost got through this post without making a joke about how Bears Tribal wasn't on the list.

mirage mirror really is an all star. Not sure yet if it's made for anything competitive but it at least lets underpowered colour combinations play something that lets them shore up inadequacies.

It's an auto include in rakdos and boros for that reason.

Ashodin

Mirror of the Forebears is kind of just an underwhelming Mirage Mirror. Yes, it's cheaper, but one colorless casting and activation cost are super trivial savings for EDH, and it's way, way more limited. That said, Mirage Mirror is a format all-star, so plenty of decks can probably roll with both.

Hey, I almost got through this post without making a joke about how Bears Tribal wasn't on the list.
Bearly.

About Mirage Mirror (overheard at Game Day):

"Can I pay 2 to turn Mirage Mirror into a land in response to someone using Fatal Push on it?"

"yes"

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking by changing the silhouette of the most iconic original race they have.

There are enough bizarre creative decisions like this from right around the M14 - Origins era that I assume they're the result of some combination of growing pains (they like tripled the size of the creative team) and awkwardly taking their first steps into transmedia creative design.

They even learned from this with Atogs. Rosewater clearly wanted Atog to be in Kaladesh but the community told him it had to be recognizably Atog or not an Atog. So we got Gremlins instead.

This was definitely the correct call.

The nice thing about the Mirror to me is that if you can find a type where there's good shenanigans to be had by layering activations it's a lot cheaper to do on this than Mirage Mirror.

The nice thing about the Mirror to me is that if you can find a type where there's good shenanigans to be had by layering activations it's a lot cheaper to do on this than Mirage Mirror.

The fact it also remains an Artifact when transformed will also be relevant to some decks and allow for some cheeky shenanigans, though honestly it means this thing will just get Vandalblasted in a lot of games (and won't be able to copy itself out of taking the hit).

Any deck that wants to run Mycosynth Lattice will probably get some mileage out of that feature, and I've seen plenty of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom