• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, all. I'm looking to start playing this game and was wondering which starter deck to get. Amazon has tons. The OP is a bit vague in this regard :) -- just to buy a Deck Builder Box. Thanks!
Any Planeswalker Deck you find in stores should be fine. One from Amonkhet or Hour of Devastation is probably your best option.

Lucario

So cube people, any cards your considering from the commander set? I'm looking at the Vengeful Lich, but that's about it. I kinda have a zombie subtheme, so I think I can support it.

The new curse cycle is interesting. Not sure if any of them are cube worthy, but the red/blue/black ones are clearly strong, with the green one allowing you to pull off all sorts of combat combo shenanigans without even needing to connect.

Being able to equip yourself with one is a pretty neat upside too, if you can abuse the symmetry.

Alms Collector definitely warrants some testing in powered cube, but in the unpowered cube I don't think it edges out the 3cc/4cc options currently available.

ironmang

I'm glad that Rosie is fine, she's adorable!

On the matter of Red, could you share your experience with various builds and which one you prefer right now? I'm considering playing either that or Temur Energy at the next Standard GP in Europe and I haven't had any time to test with RDW. I really like the look of the list Oliver Tiu won his MOCS qualifier with: https://twitter.com/thetiutangclan/status/896101113778159616

My experience with current standard is pretty limited after taking a break the past month and a half. Have been testing this past week and a half though almost exclusively monored. Here's the list I was going to take yesterday:
XuLOsME.png

I'm for sure not familiar enough to feel comfortable giving a recommendation especially for my list but so far it hasn't disappointed me. Only thing I didn't really like about Soul-Scar Mage was it's pretty weak unless you're actually casting spells on your turn and usually I don't need to clear the way early on with Khenra and Crasher.

Argh! Playing weekly Modern events with Skred, but Titanshift kills me everytime. It's like that deck has everything. Prismatic Omen, Blessed Alliance, Engineered Explosives, I just don't believe it when people tell me Blood Moon is good against that deck.

Santiako

Argh! Playing weekly Modern events with Skred, but Titanshift kills me everytime. It's like that deck has everything. Prismatic Omen, Blessed Alliance, Engineered Explosives, I just don't believe it when people tell me Blood Moon is good against that deck.

Yeah, I play Titanshift and skred it's a pretty good matchup. G1 is hard since I don't run any way to remove the moon, but g2/3 I have plenty of time to find an answer to blood moon and deal 30+ damage in that turn.

Yeah, I play Titanshift and skred it's a pretty good matchup. G1 is hard since I don't run any way to remove the moon, but g2/3 I have plenty of time to find an answer to blood moon and deal 30+ damage in that turn.
Given it's popularity, I'm seriously considering one or two Witchbane Orbs since it's probably a worse matchup than Eldrazi Tron even. Did beat Grixis Death Shadow round 2 though at least.

Santiako

Given it's popularity, I'm seriously considering one or two Witchbane Orbs since it's probably a worse matchup than Eldrazi Tron even. Did beat Grixis Death Shadow round 2 though at least.

Yeah, those could be good, although we are already bringing artifact/enchantment removal for the moons.

Beat U/W Spread Em' Game 3.
If nothing else, this deck is fun to play and can hold it's on against alot of the field. Trying to get ready for a $1000 Cash tournament coming up, and it's a toss up between bringing Skred or Burn.
Yeah, those could be good, although we are already bringing artifact/enchantment removal for the moons.
Yeah, that's the tricky part, since I'm also relying on Ensnaring Bridges and was considering Ratchet Bombs for the Prismatic Omen.

Wulfric

Lmao at the the SDCC box set still being in stock. No offense to Vincent Proce, but I think the hieroglyphic walkers did his style a great disservice. Bolas looks fine though.

This is the first year that pretty much anyone who wants one can get one.

kirblar

Lmao at the the SDCC box set still being in stock. No offense to Vincent Proce, but I think the hieroglyphic walkers did his style a great disservice. Bolas looks fine though.

This is the first year that pretty much anyone who wants one can get one.
It's not really that, it's that they jacked the price up to where it doesn't make sense for scalpers to scalp it. (This is good!)

Lmao at the the SDCC box set still being in stock.

They were selling these for like sixty bucks before and people were buying them up to flip for closer to 200. Now they're charging $165 and the people who would've bought them flipped earlier are actually getting them at around the same price direct from WotC and they're taking a reasonable amount of time to sell out.

Bandini

Titanshift is also the bane of my existence as a Jeskai Control player. Maindeck Geist of Saint Traft helps a lot but I still feel very lucky any time I get a match win. Aven Mindcensor can be good but sometimes it just gets bolted right away and it can be difficult to deploy at the right time.

y2dvd

I called a Movie Trade Company (mainly sells used movies) to check if they have any official Nintendo GameCube controllers. They said they had plenty. I go over there last night and they are all 3rd party. -_-

I did see completely sealed Yidris and Breya precon decks for $40 each. Dunno if it's worth it, but I went ahead and picked them with up.

Hi folks,

In about two months, I am going to launch a website that will allow users to speculate on Magic cards without actually buying them or shipping packages back and forth. For a small fee, you'll be able to lock in the price of a card that you think is going to go up (or down), and if you guess correctly, you'll be able to cash out for the difference between your locked-in price, and the current price. So the next time Kirblar says "Get your Mindshriekers now," and you want to get in on that action, but every store is already sold out of them, you'll still be able to speculate and possibly make some money out of it.

I think this is a badly needed service in the world of Magic: The Gathering finance. It's going to allow people to speculate on cards easier than ever before, and it will solve the problem of cards being sold out before you have a chance to get in on it. It will also make it much more financially viable to speculate, because your upfront investment will be much smaller, and you won't need to ship cards back and forth.

On top of all that, for the first time ever, you'll be able to speculate that a card is going to decrease in value, by locking in a Buylist Price.

If this service takes off, it could even help to regulate and stabilize the prices of cards in the long term, as artificial shortages should be much less likely.

I'm not going to deal in physical cards starting out, because I don't have the capital to invest in acquiring the necessary stock for that. At first it's going to be purely cash-driven. So keep that in mind.

My company is called MTG Futures. Although I have the domain name reserved (mtgfutures.com), the site isn't in place yet because it's still under construction.

It will be ready in about 2 months though, so if this is something you might be interested in, please PM me with your email address so I can put you on a mailing list, and when the time comes you'll be among the first to know. Or you can also PM me with any other questions you might have.

Thanks guys!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Hi folks,

In about two months, I am going to launch a website that will allow users to speculate on Magic cards without actually buying them or shipping packages back and forth. For a small fee, you'll be able to lock in the price of a card that you think is going to go up (or down), and if you guess correctly, you'll be able to cash out for the difference between your locked-in price, and the current price. So the next time Kirblar says "Get your Mindshriekers now," and you want to get in on that action, but every store is already sold out of them, you'll still be able to speculate and possibly make some money out of it.

I think this is a badly needed service in the world of Magic: The Gathering finance. It's going to allow people to speculate on cards easier than ever before, and it will solve the problem of cards being sold out before you have a chance to get in on it. It will also make it much more financially viable to speculate, because your upfront investment will be much smaller, and you won't need to ship cards back and forth.

On top of all that, for the first time ever, you'll be able to speculate that a card is going to decrease in value, by locking in a Buylist Price.

If this service takes off, it could even help to regulate and stabilize the prices of cards in the long term, as artificial shortages should be much less likely.

I'm not going to deal in physical cards starting out, because I don't have the capital to invest in acquiring the necessary stock for that. At first it's going to be purely cash-driven. So keep that in mind.

My company is called MTG Futures. Although I have the domain name reserved (mtgfutures.com), the site isn't in place yet because it's still under construction.

It will be ready in about 2 months though, so if this is something you might be interested in, please PM me with your email address so I can put you on a mailing list, and when the time comes you'll be among the first to know. Or you can also PM me with any other questions you might have.

Thanks guys!

Have you had a lawyer look at your business plan? This strikes me as being questionably legal. It's not gambling?

Full disclosure: I know nothing about finance, business, investing, or gambling.

Have you had a lawyer look at your business plan? This strikes me as being questionably legal. It's not gambling?

Full disclosure: I know nothing about finance, business, investing, or gambling.

Yes, my plan has been vetted by lawyers and everything I intend to do is legal. When you lock in the price of a card, you'll have to electronically sign a contract that locks in the price and spells out the terms of exercising the lock-in, and then it will be good to go.

aidan

Yes, my plan has been vetted by lawyers and everything I intend to do is legal. When you lock in the price of a card, you'll have to electronically sign a contract that locks in the price and spells out the terms of exercising the lock-in, and then it will be good to go.

*thumbs up*

Since I can't find it on a quick glance, for the Ixalan thread, I need a Jurassic Park GIF. Right before the well-GIFed "I really hate that man" scene, I want a GIF of Malcolm saying something along the lines of, "Weren't there supposed to be dinosaurs on this dinosaur tour?" followed by him knocking on the camera and breathing on it.

Also, we are close to the point where we should start coming up with thread titles. I say we go plain and simple with "Pirates vs. Dinosaurs".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Since I can't find it on a quick glance, for the Ixalan thread, I need a Jurassic Park GIF. Right before the well-GIFed "I really hate that man" scene, I want a GIF of Malcolm saying something along the lines of, "Weren't there supposed to be dinosaurs on this dinosaur tour?" followed by him knocking on the camera and breathing on it.

Also, we are close to the point where we should start coming up with thread titles. I say we go plain and simple with "Pirates vs. Dinosaurs".

thatsonebigpileofshit.jpg

aidan

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Roarr, matey.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know hearthstone at all so I'm pretty against it haha

I'm against it because it's vaguely misleading. I mean if I were doing it, the thread title would be Guybrush Threepwood related.

OnPoint

Sub-par suggestions comin through:

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Dino-mite!
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Sid Meier's Magic
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - ... but pirates!
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Swashbucklesaurus Rex

Ashodin

OT subtitle planeswalker master here.

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Vampires, Pirates, Dinosaurs, Oh my!
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Vraska and Jace on Survivor: The Plane
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Mysterious Cities of Gold (UK fans gonna love this)
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Where the Gold Things Are
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Yar Har Fiddle Dee Dee
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Tom Hanks is Jace Beleren in: Castaway 2
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - dinosaursshootinglasers.gif
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - The Land Before Crime
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Clever girl.
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - How to Avoid Huge Ships
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Now you're going to walk the plane, matey!

Can we workshop a reference to Tom Hanks' Castaway? Is that too old for our target demo? Do we feel like we can afford a "Google" joke here?

Violet_0

Banned
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Feather counters
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Yar har, fiddle di dee, you are a pirate!
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Pirates of the Mesozoic

Hi folks,

Thanks guys!
I am pretty sure that the SEC will eventually need to look at this. That said, under the current administration, LEEEEEEEEEROY JENKINS!!!

I am pretty sure that the SEC will eventually need to look at this. That said, under the current administration, LEEEEEEEEEROY JENKINS!!!

My lawyers called the actual SEC as well as a few different state-level SECs, and they all said that as long as I don't use some specific terminology, they don't care. So I'm gonna run with it and see how far I can get

Hi folks,

Thanks guys!

I'm going to be blunt: As described this seems like a terrible idea that will, at best, do little except lose all initial invested capital. For one, as Santiako brought up, how do you prevent this from being massively manipulated? We already have the problem of people buying out cards to drive up the price before dumping them and this would only encourage that.

More to the point, since there aren't any actual cards involved and it sounds like you'll be putting up all the funds paid out I'm not seeing any mechanism for this to self regulate like a market would. You're basically functioning as the lender and the buyer for shorts and the seller and buyer for long positions while also not being able to profit if the position would take a loss. This would be low reward, high risk and could easily end up disastrously for you. Even leaving out legal concerns, I'm not sure how you could hedge against larger positions.

What do you do when reprints are announced and suddenly everyone is shorting a card before the price drop completely happens? What are you even going to be using to determine a market price? What will the time frame be on positions? How will you have a fee large enough to make a profit and cover risk without discouraging people from buying in to start with?

Simply Sarah, please check your PMs. I have answers to those questions but I don't want to clog up this thread with discussion about my idea, because it's starting to feel out of bounds for the thread topic.

Thanks very much.

OnPoint

I was going to ask if this was the first time we're seeing ships since The Weatherlight, then I remembered Kaladesh happened haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom