• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

direct

Urwurzel-Gewässer 2U
Enchantment - UC
Every time you cast a Merfolk spell create a 1/1 Merfolk creature token with hexproof

Explore isn't a complex mechanic. The only decision you have to make is if you want the card on top of your library or in the graveyard. All the other effects of the mechanic play out automatically,

"Complex" in game design terms doesn't mean the same thing as "complex" in normal human terms. The only things in Magic that ever get complex in absolute terms are effects on the stack and bizarre card interactions.

If you can fuck it up in any way, it has some degree of game design complexity. If you have to make a choice at any point, it has some degree of game design complexity. If anyone ever has to stop and read the reminder text despite having played with the card before, it actually has a fair amount of game design complexity.

Toxi

Banned
I like how this guy is recognizably a Carcharodontosaurid, a group of African and South American theropods that included some of the largest predatory dinosaurs.

en_ulChNTz1mz.png

I like how this guy is recognizably a Carcharodontosaurid, a group of African and South American theropods that included some of the largest predatory dinosaurs.

en_ulChNTz1mz.png

He would be if he wasn't wearing that weird feathered boa. What a prima dino.

en_J87EyxwFSn.png

This guy is definitely going into my +1/+1 counter Commander deck.

Also, will definitely have to attend pre-release for this set. Pirates and Dinosaurs too good to pass up.

Every Merfolk art I've seen so far has been absolutely gorgeous. Feathered dinos are also on point.

Yeah, I'm loving the Merfolk. Not... particularly keen on the Pirates so far, to be honest.

The Vampires I'm mixed on, because Vampire Conquistadors is a really cool idea conceptually, but on the other hand Conquistadors look super dumb. Not really a problem with the execution, you just can't get away from them being the lamest looking knights.

Justin

Yeah, I'm loving the Merfolk. Not... particularly keen on the Pirates so far, to be honest.

The Vampires I'm mixed on, because Vampire Conquistadors is a really cool idea conceptually, but on the other hand Conquistadors look super dumb. Not really a problem with the execution, you just can't get away from them being the lamest looking knights.

I love the art on this pirate. There is so much going on. I cant wait to see a high def version
en_dXpvfRNxUN.png

DrArchon

Been away for a while (blame Splatoon 2 and law school), so I'll just throw in my two cents on the new mechanics and such:

Pirates and Raid: I loved Raid in Khans. Playing aggro is great and so is playing creatures in the second main. Still unsure on how I feel about pirates without guns though. I know Magic has a very strict "no guns" policy, but to me the quintessential pirate has a cutlass in one hand and a flintlock pistol in the other, so leaving out the pistol means they're missing a key piece of pirate flavor.

Vampires: Vampire conquistadors is a cool idea. It's a shame that the sets that just rotated were the ones with all the vampires in them, especially Zendikar where we had plenty of WB Vamps with a bunch of life-drain. Hopefully they'll be some more in Dominaria. If nothing else it'll be nice for the new commander deck.

Merfolk: Cool, cool. Been a while since Merfolk were a big focus. I'm still more of a fan of legless Merfolk, but whatever. Mono-green Merfolk make sense. I aways saw them as "fish elves" anyway. Have their theme be +1/+1 counters is a little predictable, but I guess it lets them fit into all of the UG EDH decks out there that aren't just goodstuff.dec. Shame that we can't stick with -1/-1 for more than a bit to let them breath, but I know new players aren't as much of a fan of those.

Dinos: So far all of them look great. Like birds of paradise (the animals, not the card). Enrage looks like a great ability if the benefits are good enough. Makes blocking tough and makes you think twice about burning something out, but again, the benefit has to be worth it. Ripjaw Raptor looks pretty insane for the cost even if it doesn't have any abilities that help it in combat, while Sun-Crowned Hunters seems solid for a draft common.

The Rest: I really hope they learned their lesson with vehicles and we don't get anything as busted as we got in Kaladesh. I'm sure everything will be appropriately toned down though. Explore seems fun, but I'll need to see it on something better than an otherwise vanilla 3 drop to judge it. I don't like how it looks like it'll only be on creatures though. I thought Investigate was cool because it could be on anything.

And lastly, that Treasure Map / Trease Cove combo is dope.

Conquistador Vampires is an awesome concept haha
Yes and no. Yes because they look awesome but no because I need a better reason than amonkhet zombies got for monowhite undead and part of a christian themed faith.
I really loathe vehicles. Was hoping they weren't in this set, sigh.
I'm okay with Vehicles now but I dislike that ships aren't self propelled like Kaladesh vehicles were. Ships are borderline but I' gonna flip some tables when we get the first war chariot that should have been an equipment.
Blossoming Defense is also a bad example, because it only targets your own creatures.
It really does look like it's gonna be close to a bear more and more.

I love the art on this pirate. There is so much going on. I cant wait to see a high def version
en_dXpvfRNxUN.png

I'm sort of on the opposite side of it: the generic pirates like Prosperous Pirates look fine to me, but Lannery Storm and Beckett Brass (to me) look like dorks.

Santiako

Some pirates:

QTqoULb.png

82hgMnn.png

Deadeye Pillagers 3UB
Creature - Human Pirate
Deadeye Pillagers gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control
2UB: Create a colorless artifact token named Treasure with "tap, sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool"
3/3

Explore sounds a bit like Clash execution wise which ended up being terrible not just because you let your opponent scry but because it's cumbersome.
Pirates and Raid: I loved Raid in Khans. Playing aggro is great and so is playing creatures in the second main. Still unsure on how I feel about pirates without guns though. I know Magic has a very strict "no guns" policy, but to me the quintessential pirate has a cutlass in one hand and a flintlock pistol in the other, so leaving out the pistol means they're missing a key piece of pirate flavor.
Let the record show that it wasn't me to bring this up but thank you.

Urwurzel-Gewässer 2U
Enchantment - UC
Every time you cast a Merfolk spell create a 1/1 Merfolk creature token with hexproof
Not sure how to translate the name, Urwurzel is made up to mean somethng like ancienc/primordial root waters. From the flavourtext it appears that Urwurzel is a proper noun for a tree.

This sounds pretty good for grindy matchups if we had more draw in fish. A merfolk EDH deck is slowly coming together though otoh.

OnPoint

What in the hell is happening

3vQdpPZ.png

I mean don't get me wrong, I know it can't stay at that price. I bought a few of these a couple months ago, so I should probably sell. But the market can't keep up like this, can it?

Santiako

Bad dino is bad

HcujO4b.jpg

5GW
Creature - Dinasour (Uncommon)
Each creature you controll assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
4/6

I mean don't get me wrong, I know it can't stay at that price. I bought a few of these a couple months ago, so I should probably sell. But the market can't keep up like this, can it?

That looks like a glitch.

bigkrev

3vQdpPZ.png

There are multiple copies on TCGplayer right now for $20ish, and 1 copy for $300.

Tunoku

Yay, new thread time. Excited for my second GP this weekend, but the entry is 75€. That's fucking expensive. Legacy is doing the event. How are Channel Fireball prices.

MoxManiac

3vQdpPZ.png

Holy shit. I have four of these in my binder.

Ozigizo

DIYWnPMXkAIrDQu.jpg

am I mistaken or does this let Scion of the Ur Dragon go get any creature?

2 mana search your library for a blightsteel colossus

it's a colourshifted and cheaper conspiracy so I guess it does.

mindwipe confirmed

It seems so. It's worded the same, and I believe you could do it off of the black card.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=108914

3vQdpPZ.png

More buyouts, I assume. It's not likely to stay up there.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Reading Smuggler's Copter and I cannot figure out why it was banned; it doesn't seem that bad. Was there a combo game breaker with it?

bigkrev

Reading Smuggler's Copter and I cannot figure out why it was banned; it doesn't seem that bad. Was there a combo game breaker with it?

When copter was printed, there was no constructed-playable card that could kill an artifact, and only Harnessed Lightning as a constructed-playable kill spell for it.

Justin

Saffronolive just posted a standard Ixalan deck using Unesh + Arcane Adapation to make everything sphinxes then playing a bunch of the 2cmc colorless creatures (metalic mimc, scrapheap scrounger etc...) for free and triggering Unesh's fact or fiction ability every time. Uses Throne of the God-Pharaoh ad Aether Heart as the win conditions. Looks janky and fun.

Daedardus

A question I didn't have the time for yesterday and don't know if it was brought up, but copying copies 'loyalty' but not the loyalty counters on a planeswalker, is that correct? So casting a Jace with Doubling Season on the battlefield means infinite Jaces, yes? Along with doubling the Jace expansion rate and the Illusion token rate. So if we can get Doubling Season on Ixalan we have a complete husbando plane for charlequin.

UNTAIDAKE THE CLOUD KEEPER

If you can find it cheap, BUY IT. (h/t SO)
I guess for a quick flip but are people really thinking this will see play it's an absolutely terrible land. They are still 10 to 15 cents on magiccardmarket.
Saffronolive just posted a standard Ixalan deck using Unesh + Arcane Adapation to make everything sphinxes then playing a bunch of the 2cmc colorless creatures (metalic mimc, scrapheap scrounger etc...) for free and triggering Unesh's fact or fiction ability every time. Uses Throne of the God-Pharaoh ad Aether Heart as the win conditions. Looks janky and fun.
I saw that, pretty funny.

bigkrev

I guess for a quick flip but are people really thinking this will see play it's an absolutely terrible land. They are still 10 to 15 cents on magiccardmarket.

I saw that, pretty funny.

EU/JPN Arbitrage is the hot thing in MTG Finance. It has been happing most recently with EDH-playable masterpiece cards, but works for EDH in general as well. The format just isn't as popular outside of the US, and you can make a killing paying people to buy cards for you and shipping them to you

It's completely awful. I get that it's marginally better with the Planeswalker rule change, but come on. This thing doesn't even let you Turn 2 a good 3-drop.

Yeah. If it tapped for two of any one color it would be amazing, but 2 colorless isn't anywhere near as exciting for Superfriends or even Dragon Legends. Those mana symbols will bite you.

EU/JPN Arbitrage is the hot thing in MTG Finance. It has been happing most recently with EDH-playable masterpiece cards, but works for EDH in general as well. The format just isn't as popular outside of the US, and you can make a killing paying people to buy cards for you and shipping them to you

I always considered it funny people buy foreign language cards in english speaking countries at a premium prize whereas in europe everything that isn't asian (including russian) is discounted.

I hate getting german product at my LGS as well.

WRT to untaidake it comes into play tapped, only makes mana for legendaries (now including PWs) is terrible in multiples and only makes colourless for permanents notoriously colour intensive. I just can't see any format where this is gonna be played to any significant amount.

Bad dino is bad

HcujO4b.jpg

5GW
Creature - Dinasour (Uncommon)
Each creature you controll assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
4/6

Like, the ability here is nice but the card it's on is way too expensive.

UNTAIDAKE THE CLOUD KEEPER

If you can find it cheap, BUY IT. (h/t SO)

Ah yes. For when you want your Ancient Tombs to be legendary, ETB tapped, and generate mana with usage restrictions.
Edit: And before anyone says that Ancient Tomb is a lot more expensive, well, there's a good reason for that.

bigkrev

Buy foil copies for the next time they try Planeswalker-themed commander decks (could be as soon as next year). The foil is immune from getting reprinted there

Excuse me?

Saffron Olive tweeted out about it roughly an hour ago so he's assuming it will spike (or he's joking. Hard to say). I mean, it's possible since it wouldn't be the first time he would cause terrible cards to spike but even if it does I expect it do plummet immediate because, you know, it's a terrible card.

Ozigizo

Saffron Olive tweeted out about it roughly an hour ago so he's assuming it will spike (or he's joking. Hard to say). I mean, it's possible since it wouldn't be the first time he would cause terrible cards to spike but even if it does I expect it do plummet immediate because, you know, it's a terrible card.

He might be referencing his red deck from Amonket. People started complaining that he caused it to spike on the following stream.

Top Bottom