• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

bigkrev

Image.ashx

I would not just quit Magic, I'd light my entire collection on fire

Justin

jp_xln_yjedfb9j5.jpg

Pillar of Genesis 2
Artifact
As Pillar of Genesis enters the battlefield, choose a creature type. (T):Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.

Yeef

I think the last time we got a 2-drop mana rock (that doesn't come in tapped) in Standard was Time Spiral.

Justin

9d895ea2gy1fj1l7l3y4rj207d0aagpz.jpg

Card Name 5W
Creature - Dinosaur
Enrage - Whenever ~ is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
3/5

acorazado-de-la-legion-del-crepusculo_1qsq.jpg

Twilight Legion Battleship 5
Artifact - Vehicle
Vigilance
Crew 2
4/6

Oooooh, I hope we get a ghost ship!

Better get something more interesting than this, these are the two of the most generic, "why fucking bother" vehicles they've printed yet.

How about a slave ship that creates a pirate token on Raid, and you can sac a pirate to crew?

How about a ship that has an absurd crew cost, but gives all pirates +2/+0, so you actually want to have a bunch of pirates out to crew it?

How about a ghost ship with a Raid effect that makes all your tapped creatures phase out?

Do something here, design. Vanilla Vehicles are even worse than Vanilla Creatures.

bigkrev

Better get something more interesting than this, these are the two of the most generic, "why fucking bother" vehicles they've printed yet.

How about a slave ship that creates a pirate token on Raid, and you can sac a pirate to crew?

How about a ship that has an absurd crew cost, but gives all pirates +2/+0, so you actually want to have a bunch of pirates out to crew it?

How about a ghost ship with a Raid effect that makes all your tapped creatures phase out?

Do something here, design. Vanilla Vehicles are even worse than Vanilla Creatures.

...we have seen 2 vehicles, one a common and one a uncommon. If you are unhappy that they play like commons and uncommons, you should wait for the rare ones to come out

...we have seen 2 vehicles, one a common and one a uncommon. If you are unhappy that they play like commons and uncommons, you should wait for the rare ones to come out

Unless they're hiding one in the flip cards, it's pretty unlikely at this point you're going to see an interesting rare vehicle this set, eh?

Justin

Unless they're hiding one in the flip cards, it's pretty unlikely at this point you're going to see an interesting rare vehicle this set, eh?

I want a flip card that's a dinosaur egg on one side that flips into a crewable dinosaur.

They did say in one of the mechanics videos that there are crewable dinosaurs.

I want a flip card that's a dinosaur egg on one side that flips into a crewable dinosaur.

They did say in one of the mechanics videos that there are crewable dinosaurs.

That would be fun. Maybe a land that flips into a vehicle. (A pirate island hideaway that becomes a ship under the right circumstances.)

Justin

All the flip cards are lands on the back.

I keep seeing that mentioned but where is that from. The mechanics article and video just says "double-faced cards of this set highlight the tales and tools of discovery". I think a vehicle would fit into that.

How about a vehicle that when destroyed flips to a ship graveyard land with +1 crew cost for all vehicles.

Santiako

I keep seeing that mentioned but where is that from. The mechanics article and video just says "double-faced cards of this set highlight the tales and tools of discovery". I think a vehicle would fit into that.

How about a vehicle that when destroyed flips to a ship graveyard land with +1 crew cost for all vehicles.

It's mentioned in the mechanics video.

Justin

It's mentioned in the mechanics video.

Just went and watched it again and you are right. Thanks! I am really excited to see what interesting things they can do with the other lands.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a creature land since they are all rotating out.

Justin

normal_PnI7GOT.png

~ gets +1/+1 as long as you control another merfolk or Island.

edit: for some reason (.png?) the picture is loading on my phone but not on my desktop. Its a G 1/1 Uncommon Merfolk.

normal_PnI7GOT.png

~ gets +1/+1 as long as you control another merfolk or Island.

edit: for some reason (.png?) the picture is loading on my phone but not on my desktop. Its a G 1/1 Uncommon Merfolk.

that's hilarious because the current Merfolk lists experimenting with UG fish are islandless to get access to choke.

Daedardus

Got back some of my old cards from home. It was mostly the random rares map and the box full of random junk. Got an extra playset of M10 lightning bolts, a playset of lightning helixes, couple of RoE IoKs, a Celestial Collonade I much needed and I think 15 Ponders or so, along with lots of foil lands so I can't complain. Now to wait until I get my rare map back with five playsets of Path to exile and playsets of all original Zen fetches. Might finally complete my Jeskai deck soon.

I agree that the vanilla vehicles are disappointing. Since they're not a mechanical focus of the set, there won't be very many of them, so it's pretty lame that the few we're getting don't actually do anything

jp_xln_yjedfb9j5.jpg

Pillar of Genesis 2
Artifact
As Pillar of Genesis enters the battlefield, choose a creature type. (T):Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.

Looks like a nice card for multi-colour tribal edh.

Santiako

They are showing some bomb-ass uncommons. That has a great body, clears tokens away and triggers all enrages. Fantastic.

So, apparently the story podcast mentions that there are other continents on Ixalan. If Ixalan were to actually be a far off area of Dominaria, that would legit be the best plot twist they've ever pulled. We know Ajani is in the next set, and he's supposed to be on Dominaria, so that's point one. Dominaria has been cut off from the multiverse before, so that's point two. We haven't been back to Dominaria for years, so Dominaria being closed off again would actually be a neat reason for us to not have returned there for such a long time, so that's point three. And what place had a notable tribal theme? Otaria, on Dominaria. If Planeswalkers can't get out once they get in it would make sense for Bolas to send Planeswalkers in an effort to break the seal on the plane without going in himself, because we all know he'll have designs on Dominaria eventually.

I'd be supremely impressed if this is what's going on. The only real 'hole' I can think of is the absence of Slivers if they're on Otaria. But they're not necessarily on Otaria, and that doesn't mean that Slivers have to be in that region. And doesn't preclude them from being in Rivals.

So, apparently the story podcast mentions that there are other continents on Ixalan. If Ixalan were to actually be a far off area of Dominaria, that would legit be the best plot twist they've ever pulled. We know Ajani is in the next set, and he's supposed to be on Dominaria, so that's point one. Dominaria has been cut off from the multiverse before, so that's point two. We haven't been back to Dominaria for years, so Dominaria being closed off again would actually be a neat reason for us to not have returned there for such a long time, so that's point three. And what place had a notable tribal theme? Otaria, on Dominaria. If Planeswalkers can't get out once they get in it would make sense for Bolas to send Planeswalkers in an effort to break the seal on the plane without going in himself, because we all know he'll have designs on Dominaria eventually.

I'd be supremely impressed if this is what's going on. The only real 'hole' I can think of is the absence of Slivers if they're on Otaria. But they're not necessarily on Otaria, and that doesn't mean that Slivers have to be in that region. And doesn't preclude them from being in Rivals.

We'd already be talking 2 continents or another major undiscovered region though as the conquistadores had to come from somewhere and haven't had any memorabilia or notable symbols from anything known on dominaria.

Speaking of conquistadores, Wizards used slavery in amonkhet while dodging anything controversial, how are they gonna do it this time with the genocide on indogenous people?

We'd already be talking 2 continents or another major undiscovered region though as the conquistadores had to come from somewhere and haven't had any memorabilia or notable symbols from anything known on dominaria.

Otaria didn't exist on Dominaria at all, even in hinted form, until WotC decided it did. We even had world maps of Dominaria and they still tacked Otaria on. Adding new continents is totally precedented. It's also been long enough story wise that they could just be using old continents with new names. They haven't shown anything un-Dominaria, they had tons of dinosaurs.

OnPoint

I'd personally love if this were Dominaria and we just didn't know it yet.

Isn't Dominaria the next set after Rivals? Would be such a great twist to just be like "Oh snap, staying here!"

Otaria didn't exist on Dominaria at all, even in hinted form, until WotC decided it did. We even had world maps of Dominaria and they still tacked Otaria on. Adding new continents is totally precedented. It's also been long enough story wise that they could just be using old continents with new names. They haven't shown anything un-Dominaria, they had tons of dinosaurs.
I like the idea and I'm not saying it's impossible, not sure Wizards would go throught the trouble of making a new world only to tie it back into an old with a ton of baggage attached for one.
Another issue is that we'd essentially have an old style block, big small big, they've gotten rid of twice now with a big Dominario in spring.

Dominaria had featherless dinosaurs though.

OnPoint

I like the idea and I'm not saying it's impossible, not sure Wizards would go throught the trouble of making a new world only to tie it back into an old with a ton of baggage attached for one.
Another issue is that we'd essentially have an old style block, big small big, they've gotten rid of twice now with a big Dominario in spring.

Dominaria had featherless dinosaurs though.

Per the bolded:

1. This could be how they introduce a "fixed" Dominaria with less baggage, also introducing that not everything need be tied to what we know on the plane.

2. This could be how they transitioned into the new block structure without changing too much internally. Not sure how the time tables work on it.

Another point:
his destination was the result of pieces of memory as they fled from his mind

He knew that the rendezvous point was Dominaria.

2. This could be how they transitioned into the new block structure without changing too much internally. Not sure how the time tables work on it.

They did explicitly say that they would stay on a single plane for as long as the story needed it. I'm now taking that to mean this will happen immediately. At the very least we're on Dominaria proper for at least 2 sets, I'd bet.

Speaking of conquistadores, Wizards used slavery in amonkhet while dodging anything controversial, how are they gonna do it this time with the genocide on indogenous people?

I imagine they'll have the native peoples knock he conquistadors flat on their ass. That avoids most of the potential controversy.

Top Bottom