• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Vacation dated, renamed for the US

neptunes

hmm same month as FF12, couldn't they space out the releases a bit more? :/

Aug: ???
sept: ff3
Oct: ff12
Oct: DQ Slime
Oct: Magical Vacation US?

Kobun Heat said:
http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1507902

Renamed to "Magical Starsign." Will hit on October 23.

Odd that they chose today -- the release of the Japanese version -- to finalize this date. Could they be hoping to deter people from importing it?

Much better date than i had expected but the name is kind meh :/ thanks for the news.

Your hypothesis may be correct. I'd imagine Nintendo wants every U.S. sale possible on titles that they can grab.

Emotions

Mine, i'm glad it's coming this year.

I thought it would be delayed till next year.
Now where are the dates for YI2, Zelda,Pokemon Ranger, Elite Beat Agents & Hotel Dusk, i hope they come this year as well around Nov-Dec.

neptunes said:
So Nintendo can't release any games in October? Because some other company is releasing another game for another console that month?

neptunes

Kobun Heat said:
So Nintendo can't release any games in October? Because some other company is releasing another game for another console that month?
I didn't know it was nintendo who was publishing,

They could have at least released DQ slime in August...rite? >.<

ant1532

Banned
I don't understand the name change... What were they trying to go for? I mean I would think they would try and make it more appealing to the US audience but.. Magical StarSign? Might as well keep the original name, no?
loosus said:
Is this one any good? The first one...kinda sucked. Not sure why everyone always clamored for it.

Famitsu rated 31/40

Emotions

neptunes said:

They could have at least released DQ slime in August.

Brownie Brown belongs to Nintendo and they developed Magical Vacation. That's why they're publishing it. Children of Mana is being published by Nintendo as well despite being a Square-Enix game.
DQ slime is being published by Square-Enix , same with FF3 and DQ Monsters Joker, i think.

DQ is coming in september as far as i know.

Cheebs

neptunes said:

They could have at least released DQ slime in August...rite? >.<
Why would Nintendo publish Slime? Square is releasing in September, same day as FFIII

I think you are very confused on how publishing works.

Meier

Wow, finally releasing it here in America.. Ouendan getting a release here too? Seems like Nintendo is finally giving the hardcore fans what they want and releasing most all their titles here. Perhaps Starfi still has a shot to make it out in the US.

Emotions

Meier said:
Wow, finally releasing it here in America.. Ouendan getting a release here too? Seems like Nintendo is finally giving the hardcore fans what they want and releasing most all their titles here. Perhaps Starfi still has a shot to make it out in the US.

Project Hacker & Touch Panic, hope they come as well.

neptunes

Cheebs said:
Why would Nintendo publish Slime? Square is releasing in September, same day as FFIII

I forgot that they were going to have different publishers.

ant1532

Banned
Meier said:
your going to make Amir0x mad...

They haven't gave us the biggest thing we want...

Now that I think about it... WTF Nintendo? Giving us this instead of Mother 3!!??

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
ant1532 said:
I don't understand the name change... What were they trying to go for? I mean I would think they would try and make it more appealing to the US audience but.. Magical StarSign? Might as well keep the original name, no?

Famitsu rated 31/40

Magical Vacation?

Johnson-Family-Vacation-1-s.jpg

naw, its good to change the name

ant1532

Banned
John Harker said:
Magical Vacation?

Johnson-Family-Vacation-1-s.jpg

naw, its good to change the name
oh god lol. I sat through 30 minutes of that movie one night... What was I thinking. I'm never going on a vacation with the Johnsons ever again.

demi

Anyone play the Japanese version? How does the game play? I AM GENUINELY INTERESTED

I BOUGHT LUNAR DS FOR ****S SAKE

Jiggy

Excellent, hits this year after all. Another DS must-buy.

The title, though... I can see why they probably wanted to get away from "Vacation" since it's not a game about, you know, a vacation, but Starsign seems at least equally as liable to push US consumers away, even though it's more closely tied to the game content.

Terrell

Jiggy37 said:
Excellent, hits this year after all. Another DS must-buy.

The title, though... I can see why they probably wanted to get away from "Vacation" since it's not a game about, you know, a vacation, but Starsign seems at least equally as liable to push US consumers away, even though it's more closely tied to the game content.
Actually, it sort of IS. The story's about kids from a magic school who end up saving their classmates during their *drumroll* summer vacation.

And for whomever asked, the only continuity between the first and second game is that the students are from the same school, Will O' Wisp Magic Academy, but it's a new class of kids.

Ravidrath

The title is bad, but kinda makes sense.

The subtitle on the Japanese version is "The time when five the stars line up," which I guess they're calling the "starsign."

Pellham

Banned
ant1532 said:

Famitsu rated 31/40

Who cares what Famitsu gave it? Almost no hardcore gamer takes Famitsu's reviews seriously (this is the mag that's considered the GamePro of Japan after all)

They could call it "Magical Unicorn Adventure Story with Love and Rainbows" for all I care, I just want to PLAY IT. But, yeah, Magaical Vacation is a better name. :(

CO_Andy

cheebs said:
You're the confused one my friend. Nintendo's published every handheld SquareEnix title to date (excluding teh cellular & PSP titles).

ant1532

Banned
Pellham said:
Who cares what Famitsu gave it? Almost no hardcore gamer takes Famitsu's reviews seriously (this is the mag that's considered the GamePro of Japan after all)
Its the only review out that I've seen. Sorry Mr. Hardcore

Symytry

neptunes said:

Aug: ???
sept: ff3
Oct: ff12
Oct: DQ Slime
Oct: Magical Vacation US?

My list is a little more bloated than that...

July
Super Robot Wars OG

Aug
Rule of Rose
Okami
Yakuza
Summon Night
Harvest Moon DS
Deep Labrynth
Starcox Command

Sep
Mario Hoops
FF III
DQ Rocket Slime
Mega Man ZX
Contact

Oct
Phantasy Star Universe
FF XII
Yggdra Union
Scurge: Hive
Magical Vacation

Nov
Wii
Trauma Centre
Metroid Prime 3
Zelda TP

...and somewhere in there FFV and FFVI GBA ports. There's probably a bunch that I'm forgetting to list as well. But friggin hell, that is a lot of software up for purchase!

ghibli99

For those who know what the series (or this installment) is about, does the word "starsign" hold any significance? I like the J-title better, probably just because that's what I've known it as since the beginning, but if there's a good reason for the name change, I'd love to hear it.

temp

posting on contract only
Symytry said:
My list is a little more bloated than that...

July
Super Robot Wars OG

Aug
Rule of Rose
Okami
Yakuza
Summon Night
Harvest Moon DS
Deep Labrynth
Starcox Command

Sep
Mario Hoops
FF III
DQ Rocket Slime
Mega Man ZX
Contact

Oct
Phantasy Star Universe
FF XII
Yggdra Union
Scurge: Hive
Magical Vacation

Nov
Wii
Trauma Centre
Metroid Prime 3
Zelda TP

...and somewhere in there FFV and FFVI GBA ports. There's probably a bunch that I'm forgetting to list as well. But friggin hell, that is a lot of software up for purchase!
Wow, I didn't know those were all Square-Enix games.

ghibli99 said:
For those who know what the series (or this installment) is about, does the word "starsign" hold any significance? I like the J-title better, probably just because that's what I've known it as since the beginning, but if there's a good reason for the name change, I'd love to hear it.
Ravidrath said:
The title is bad, but kinda makes sense.

The subtitle on the Japanese version is "The time when the stars line up," which I guess they're calling the "starsign."

Jiggy

Terrell said:
Actually, it sort of IS. The story's about kids from a magic school who end up saving their classmates during their *drumroll* summer vacation.
Okay, I stand corrected.

And amend my post to "I can see why they probably wanted to get away from 'Vacation' since that word evokes images of something more akin to The Sims than an RPG quest apparently spread across several planets." :D

Greenpanda said:
So this is Magical Vacation TWO, right?
Yes.

I didn't think this would come out in the US (since we didn't the the first one).
Should be excited for this game? The screenshots I saw before looked pretty good.
Has anyone played the first, and was it good?

I don't think the US will ever get Mother 3. *cries*

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
who thought changing something easily understandable by americans like "magical vacation" to something totally meaningless and stupid like "magical starsign"?? what the **** does that even mean!?

sp0rsk said:
who thought changing something easily understandable by americans like "magical vacation" to something totally meaningless and stupid like "magical starsign"?? what the **** does that even mean!?
I think starsign is the same thing as astrological sign.
Astro_signs.gif

Just be glad they didn't name it "Magical Astrological Sign"

Auron

CO_Andy said:
You're the confused one my friend. Nintendo's published every handheld SquareEnix title to date (excluding teh cellular & PSP titles).

Actually, SquareEnix published Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the Game Boy Advance.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Teenage-Fanclub-Star-Sign-162838.jpg

Teenage Fanclub said:
Hey there's a horseshoe on my door; big deal.
And say there's a black cat on the floor, big deal.

If these things make your day
Well if these things change your day

Well do you know where you belong?
And is your star sign ever wrong?

If these things change your day,
Well if these things make your day
Seen it all before, seen it all before...
In a time these things will change

Hey there's a side of me unknown, big deal.
And say, should this unknown force be shown, big deal.

If these thoughts make your day
Well if these thoughts change your day
Seen it all before, seen it all before
Given time these things will change.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
Yeah, the U.S. name sucks. I'll get over it. It looks pretty darn good and should be a nice DS RPG. Here's hoping anyway...

And yeah, Starfi needs to come out here too.

Top Bottom