• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majesco New Platformer - Flip's Twisted World - (Wii) [Developer Seemingly Closed]

Flip's Twisted World
Platform: Wii (retail)
Publisher: Majesco
Developer: Frozen North Productions
Release: October 20, 2010
Official Website: http://www.flipstwistedworld.com/

PR:
MAJESCO ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES 'FLIP'S TWISTED WORLD' EXCLUSIVELY FOR Wii

New Puzzle Platformer Traps Players In A World Where Nothing Is As It Seems

EDISON, N.J., May 26, 2009 - Majesco Entertainment Company (NASDAQ: COOL), an innovative provider of video games for the mass market, today announced Flip's Twisted World exclusively for Wii. This unique puzzle platformer places the world literally in the palm of players' hands as they navigate topsy-turvy worlds where up and down, and left and right are only a matter of perspective. Developed by Frozen North Productions, Flip's Twisted World is expected to launch in January 2010.

"Flip's Twisted World offers a truly innovative take on the traditional platform game by sidestepping conventional design in favor of a three-dimensional, perspective-altering approach," said Gui Karyo, Executive Vice President of Operations for Majesco. "With a charismatic main character, fantastic puzzle landscapes and a unique gameplay mechanic, Flip's gives platform game fans something to look forward to in the new year."

In Flip's Twisted World, Master Fulcrum's curious apprentice Flip messes with the wrong magic artifact and gets sucked into a crazy cubed universe. To escape his cube prison, Flip must turn the entire world to reveal new paths and endless possibilities. Adventuring through five bizarre puzzle worlds, Flip must stop the destruction of the universe and restore The Master's home to normal before he returns!

Players help Flip navigate his world by rotating the environment 90 degrees in any direction with a simple twist of the Wii Remote. Pits become passages and obstacles transform into openings once players change their point of view. As Flip progresses through the game he'll meet many unique characters - some helpful, others hurtful - and collect five magic tools to aid his journey home. Optional side quests let players unlock bonus goodies and alternate costumes, while finding pieces of the Master's lost journal reveals secrets of the magic universe's past.

Flip's Twisted World features original music from prolific video game composer Tommy Tallarico, who has scored over 250 games and won numerous international awards for his work.

Saw this posted on the nintendo of go and after watching the trailer seems like it may actually be a competent platformer.

A bit of googling on the developer brings up little (7 man team based out of Canada) and this title appears to be their first game to market. They do however have an interesting article on gamasutra on the importance of prototyping games in case anybody was curious. The article is from 2007 and mentions a game being developed for XBLA called Up & Dn which apparently is this game based on another article. Who knows how it will turn out but the mechanics being displayed at least look interesting (make sure to check out the trailer).

3566710919_43538dde25.jpg

3566712863_7e458469cd.jpg

3566715041_08df17f6ca.jpg

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/sets/72157618743798291/

E3 Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcBvvR7bvls

via: g0nintendo http://**********.com/?p=83785#more-83785

***Update Jan. 29th 2010***

Developer Blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNcj-DcXgk

Some Additional Info via Majesco's site:

Use the Wii Remote to flip your world around 90° at will. Switch perspectives to advance through topsy-turvy levels. A flick of the wrist and an obstructing wall is now a path, a pit is now a corridor.

Puzzle your way through six unique worlds: a celestial backwater, a fractured castle, a dense jungle full of booby-trapped temples, a frozen arctic wasteland, a network of subterranean lava caves and an intricate clock tower in the sky

Collect five magic tools to aid you in your quest

Unlock goodies and learn more about the story by finding pieces of The Master's journal

Unlock alternate costumes to customize your character throughout the game

Supports Wii Remote and Nunchuk, Classic controller, or GameCube controller play

Includes the voice talent of Anthony Stewart Head

Also Amazon is currently listing this for an April 13th release date from its original date which was supposed to be this month.

*** EDIT *** April 1, 2010

Hero of Legend said:
Remember one of the most recent NP issues said the game's due in June? Well...

http://www.gamefly.com/game/Wii/Flip's-Twisted-World/139735/

GameFly says September 7th.

*** EDIT *** September 21, 2010

farnham said:
Nintendo World Report has done a nice developer diary feature for this game.

Main Mechanic (Twisting)
Character Design
Story
Development 1
Development 2
Bosses in Flip Twisted World

Shiggy said:
Nintendo Power July Preview (Scan) (hosted on the developer's website)
Sounds pretty good.

The official website was also overhauled:
http://www.flipstwistedworld.com/

Some gameplay scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesThQj_Hsg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Cat in the Hat said:
If you're gonna rip off a game, SMG is a good one to do it to.

THIS. Plus there can`t be enough plattformers...

By "importance of prototyping" do they mean "importance of playing Mario Galaxy"?

Dear developers: character designs in a platformer mean quite a lot. Try not to pick the most rubbish looking tripe if you want your game to achieve any success ever.

some one need to come up with a better looking guy wtf that? i like the idea and the levels look ok, if a bit flat..... but not bad they have to do alot or show some really good game play to make me get it now

stuminus3

Kind of an interesting concept, by the looks of the trailer. Shame the concept appears to be hidden behind a great big banner that says "you may mistake this for Mario Galaxy".

pakkit

Banned
Ranger X said:
Oh sh.... This looks very interesting. One more awesome game for the lesser console!
:lol

I can't tell if this is a cool idea by a bad developer (see: SPRay) or a good idea that could be executed on.

Boerseun

Banned
Look on the flipside. If it plays well, welcome to the party Frozen North! It it doesn't, we'll never hear from them again. It's a win-win situation.

pulga

Banned
I had some little Crush vibes while watching the trailer. Main character looks like shit. Majesco would be wise to redesign "it". Looks interesting overall.

Cygnus X-1

Mmm...actually, I don't like copy-paste games, but super mario galaxy was so awesome that now I'm curious to see how this one will turn out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Trailer looks great.

Love Ratchet and Clank, loved McKids, love Mario Galaxy. Give me more cool platformers with crazy inverto gravity or spheroids!

Ranger X

pakkit said:

I can't tell if this is a cool idea by a bad developer (see: SPRay) or a good idea that could be executed on.

Can be anything really. It's their first game so i'll have to give them a chance and trust Marvelous on this one. It will look closely and follow its devellopment. I sure hope that it wouldn't end up sucking. I love this old school wave we see this gen on Wii, DS, PSN and XBLA.

ZAK

When I think "Majesco" and "platformer" I think "Psychonauts." And that makes me happy.

I also think "commercial failure." That's not so good.

pswii60

Oh man, it's games like this that the HD consoles are tragically lacking.

This looks competent and fun. I love games like this - but then I even loved Super Magnetic Neo and Crash: Wrath of Cortex which both got extremely mediocre reviews. I just love platformers!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I don't think the main character looks all that bad. The monster designs aren't exactly original though.

Kudos to the team, it looks like they've put some effort into it. Hopefully the flipping-world design is used for some neat puzzles.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
With no development history for the company I guess we're about to find out if most of these game design programs being offered in Ontario lately are actually worth anything. The gameplay looks pretty uninspired at this point though, it looks like a poor man's Mario Galaxy.

Taurus

After reading the OP, interest +-0.

After watching the trailer, interest +100%!

I'm just gonna be a lazy ass bitch and ask what have they (=Frozen North Productions) done before?

traveler

Not Wario
Looks more like that indie Super Paper Mario-esque game (forgot the title) that hasn't been released than SMG to me. Could be interesting.

Edit: Was it Fez?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
So far so good, but the trailer didn't show too much gameplay; I will be excited if it is decent. Looks like a mediocre/good N64 platformer, but this gen has been lacking platformers, so it will be on my watch list.

Taurus said:
I'm just gonna be a lazy ass bitch and ask what have they (=Frozen North Productions) done before?

This is their first game to market and no other games are cited that they have worked on (either as a developer or by individual team members)

laserbeam

Banned
Taurus said:
After reading the OP, interest +-0.

After watching the trailer, interest +100%!

Devs seem to be a new team as this is their first release as Frozen North. Looking at the Dev team Bios they are almost all fresh out of Game Design School etc types

Taurus

Saint10118 said:
This is their first game to market and no other games are cited that they have worked on (either as a developer or by individual team members)
Ok, thanks.

Hope they succeed with their first one. :)

pakkit said:

SPRay was the first thing I thought of when I watched the trailer, hopefully this turns out better than that.

Updated OP with PR that has additional info on the control (tilting wiimote 90 degrees in any direction to filp the world), level structure (5 worlds, side quests), and music (Tommy Tallarico - Earthworm Jim, Maximo, and Prince of Persia amongst others -via wiki).

JDSN

Banned
Looks like a poor man's Super Mario Galaxy, which makes it one of the most interesting games that are currently being made for the Wii.

Azure J

Hmm...

+ Platformer
+ Looks kinda cool for early stuff
+ Seems like it's "loosely based off of" Super Mario Galaxy
+ Platformer

- Unproven dev team

+/- Character design is okay.

Well, hell I guess I'm just gonna wait and see what happens. They had me at platformer after all. :lol

Looks . . . interesting.

Loves the Platformer love on the Wii!

Animation needs work like a mofo from the trailer but I guess I should just wait and see what comes of this later on. Hoping those weak areas (Animation, Character design, no fucking shadow for "Flip") are fixed.

Amir0x

Banned
well, at least they're gunning for a good game to emulate.

I won't discourage them but at the same time it's impossible to get excited knowing nothing of this team's pedigree.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Saint10118 said:
Updated OP with PR that has additional info on the control (tilting wiimote 90 degrees in any direction to filp the world), level structure (5 worlds, side quests), and music (Tommy Tallarico - Earthworm Jim, Maximo, and Prince of Persia amongst others -via wiki).

This looks to have a lot of promise, but isn't this just the type of game that Tommy Tallarico has bitched his entire working life about not wanting to be a part of?

Davey Cakes

Black-Wind said:
Loves the Platformer love on the Wii!
Yeah, the Nintendo systems (that is, Wii and DS) are really rocking it with the platforming-based games.

But, honestly, the 2D or 2.5D bases have already been covered nicely, so I'm looking out for more 3D platformers. I've complained about developers not taking inspiration from Mario Galaxy and making a good 3D platformer out of it, so maybe Flip's Twisted World will be the game that shuts me up.

I'll be keeping my eye on this game, as well as The Kore Gang.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Could be interesting.

The music is godawful though. Not because it's bad, but because it doesn't fit the game and is awfully generic.

I dont think the music from the trailer will be the one for the game, but if it is, good job, however, I dont see this music for this kind of game.
It just... desnt fit.

Haunted

Oh yeah, that looks good. More platforming goodness. That's what? The fourth promising platformer for the Wii announced in the last couple weeks? Love it.

traveler said:
Looks more like that indie Super Paper Mario-esque game (forgot the title) that hasn't been released than SMG to me. Could be interesting.

Edit: Was it Fez?
Yes. Whatever happened to that game, btw?

Top Bottom