• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAJOR Gran Turismo 5 Rumors (2009 December Release?)

kenta

Has no PEINS
SolidSnakex said:
Good luck getting car companies to agree to that.
I thought this was a pretty outdated excuse these days considering plenty of video games with licensed cars also have damage models, and Kaz himself has said there's been good progress

Cheeto

Firewire said:
Go look at some video's of other racing games, just because damage is involved it doesn't stop idiots from doing it, you just have to be a bit more careful. Seriously I don't know why people race against such turds it totally destroys the purpose of a racing game.
Try doing it in a SimBin game. Let me know how it works out for you.

Forsete

SolidSnakex said:
Good luck getting car companies to agree to that.

I understand that problem. One solution might be a special simulation mode where cars that allow damage can be raced (because honestly, I only think its a few that dont want damage, the majority dont care).

I think they should really consider adding damage this time around, I remembe playing Viper Racing where avoiding damage and driving with damage is a huge part, I want Gran Turismo to have that too.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I dont want any damage in this game. They have enough to model without having to go back and do all the damage for each fucking car. On top of it, it would be pointless as the realistic damage effects just cant be properly implemented with where hardware is now.

And if there really is over 600 cars in this game that is quite an amazing feat considering how detailed each one will be.

Forsete said:
I understand that problem. One solution might be a special simulation mode where cars that allow damage can be raced.

They'd have to limit the cars that are raced in that mode to race modified cars.

gantz85 said:
5. Two release versions, one SKU where you pay a large amount of money that allows you free excess to all future vehicle DLCs and another SKU which you have the option to purchase singular DLCs for.
What I got from that was that you can buy the full version or a discounted add-on to Prologue, not two in-store SKUs.

RavenFox

Banned
Psychotext said:
Well... they still ram your car, you just don't get damaged.
Yes they do but with damage they lose their minds. Option for damage on or off and in the online side would suffice for me.

Littleberu said:
This argument is so tired.
Tired? You guys made it an argument. GT aficionados don't argue about this shit.

squatingyeti said:
No, this is GT where idiots ram into your car to slow down around turns or ram into your car with no repercussions. When was the last time you played a GT?
Please get out of this thread.

Cruzader said:
Yea man cuz Criterion put real cars in its game right? PD should also take out the human models from the game too right! Sounds awesome and lifelike!

He was being polite and for the second time in this thread you come off like a jerk.

Forsete

SolidSnakex said:
They'd have to limit the cars that are raced in that mode to race modified cars.

If it comes to that, sure.. its a start.

But dont PGR allow damage on regular model cars? (even if the damage model sucks ass)

Eric WK

gantz85 said:
5. Two release versions, one SKU where you pay a large amount of money that allows you free excess to all future vehicle DLCs and another SKU which you have the option to purchase singular DLCs for.

So in other words, they're not free. You just pay for them up front.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Forsete said:
I would be happy with Burnout style damage, only it would affect the car waaay more. Isnt the damage in Burnout pretty dynamic as well?

Not at all. Its still somewhat precanned. And it does not really affect the driving model. Plus that game has anything but real physics for cars.

Even other real racing sims have not done very good damage implementations. You can have damage and you can have "damage" where even 100 miles per hour crashes result in losing a fender and a slight hood crumple but nothing like Burnout's disintegration which is more accurate of real world damage at high speeds.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Forsete said:

But dont PGR allow damage on regular model cars? (even if the damage model sucks ass)

Kaz has said he will not do half ass damage just for the sake of it. He has discounted those "damage" models multiple times as not being in line with his visions of all or nothing.

avaya said:
Do not want any form of shitty acrade damage in this game. At all.

The computing power is not there to pull off damage in any acceptable fashion.

I'm safe in the knowledge Kaz agrees with this and will not include damage.

As posted real time time of day progression and real time weather is all I really want in addition to better collision phsyics.

Driving model is pretty much spot on, maybe a few tweaks here and there but if you actually drove some of these cars in rela life you would realise the driving model is the best on console.

This. A million times over.

Sage00 said:
Come on people, when do you ever see hard enough ramming to cause dents in a live race? One small collision and they're out. They don't drive around with dents in the car. :lol
Umm... have you never watched touring cars?

Forsete

AndyD said:
Not at all. Its still somewhat precanned. And it does not really affect the driving model. Plus that game has anything but real physics for cars.

Even other real racing sims have not done very good damage implementations. You can have damage and you can have "damage" where even 100 miles per hour crashes result in losing a fender and a slight hood crumple but nothing like Burnout's disintegration which is more accurate of real world damage at high speeds.

Ok so its somewhat pre-canned, it looks good enough for me. I have hardly seen the same damage twice over the time I have played BP.

Of course it should be more realistic, a 50KM/H crash should leave you totalled. I want it more like Viper Racing, but maybe not so super sensitive (as a small jump can break the spine of the car in VP :p )

Realistic damage adds so much, thats why I want it. You'll have to be on your toes at all times, like racing in F1 Championship (SCEE), I love that.

avaya

Cheeto said:
Try doing it in a SimBin game. Let me know how it works out for you.

This is a function of who actually plays these games more than the game itself.

Simply having damage does nothing to improve the game experience online. It's a spurious relationship.

Gran Turismo broke deep into the masses the biggest exclusive franchise in Europe. You get millions of people to play a SimBin game online and see what the some people will adapt their stupidity to fit the game. Do not doubt the creativity of the shits and giggles mainstream crowd.

Forsete said:

It has damage but you're asking for Burnout quality damage. That's where the major issue comes in.

lupinko

Firewire said:
The series has sold more than 50 million units. In terms of anyone GT game going up against a Mario Kart game who the hell knows, who the hell cares?

BUBUBUBU CONSOLE WARRIORS!!!!

Forsete

SolidSnakex said:
It has damage but you're asking for Burnout quality damage. That's where the major issue comes in.

I see. Well Gran Turismo is a pretty prestigious brand these days, they even developed the interface of the Skyline. Cant they throw their weight around "Hey bitches, these are our terms. Full damage model, take it or leave it."? :p

CrushDance said:
Mario Kart is a lot more fun(Personal opinion), but it's also easier and not meant to convey any realism. GT is the exact opposite of that in every way. It's a lot harder but much more satisfying when you win and work your way up.

As for sales, the franchise has always been a high seller, if not the highest.

How does GT compare to fancy PC sims?

Forsete said:
I see. Well Gran Turismo is a pretty prestigious brand these days, they even developed the interface of the Skyline. Cant they throw their weight around "Hey bitches, these are our terms. Full damage model, take it or leave it."? :p

There are probably some that would be ok with it, but what do you do with the others? Do you tell Ferrari to screw off after all these years of fans requesting their cars if they say no to it?

Forsete

SolidSnakex said:
There are probably some that would be ok with it, but what do you do with the others? Do you tell Ferrari to screw off after all these years of fans requesting their cars if they say no to it?

Limit primadonna Ferrari to none-damage races.. I dont know, I would just like to have that extra dimension, it has been over 10 years already and I own all GT titles, I love the series. :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Forsete said:

Ferrari, Mercedes and all the others are much bigger brands. And many if not all do not want real damage to retail cars.

The best we can realistically hope for right now is damage well done to non retail cars, and retail cars no damage (better than faux damage).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Psychotext said:
Weren't Ferrari's damageable in PGR4? I thought most manufacturers these days just requested no rollovers.

No rollovers and no disintegration/unveiling of the core body, which leaves bumpers, and hood and such to be taken off and the rest to be blemished.

RavenFox

Banned
Psychotext said:
Weren't Ferrari's damageable in PGR4? I thought most manufacturers these days just requested no rollovers.
Have you seen the car models in GT5? Its as close to the real thing as you get for home driving sims.

lowlylowlycook said:
How does GT compare to fancy PC sims?
Forza is much better I think, all my friends have a Xbox to so that's where I game. Gran Turismo is outdated and was promised over 10 years ago, but we all know how Sony lies. We have to compare GT to PC sims because Sony claims to have the best when really Microsoft does. I agree, GT doesn't compare at all in terms of anything, let alone its mediocre sales that all PS3 games suffer from.

Why would I play some outdated game when I've got Forza and PC sims? Man you want to know how antiquitated that series is? They put a carriage in GT4!

Pfft and Sony thinks they have something good.

AndyD

aka andydumi
CrushDance said:
Forza is much better I think, all my friends have a Xbox to so that's where I game. Gran Turismo is outdated and was promised over 10 years ago, but we all know how Sony lies. We have to compare GT to PC sims because Sony claims to have the best when really Microsoft does. I agree, GT doesn't compare at all in terms of anything, let alone its mediocre sales that all PS3 games suffer from.

Why would I play some outdated game when I've got Forza and PC sims? Man you want to know how antiquitated that series is? They put a carriage in GT4!

LOL, I am not sure whether this is serious or a troll post, but Ill laugh regardless.

Forsete

AndyD said:
No rollovers and no disintegration/unveiling of the core body, which leaves bumpers, and hood and such to be taken off and the rest to be blemished.

Thats pretty.. uh.. disappointing. I guess proper damage is further away than I had hoped. :/

Props to Dodge for allowing damage in Viper Racing then.

avaya

CrushDance said:

:lol

eso76

what if you buy the premium sku and PD stops developing and releasing dlc after a week ? :)

you can never know !

as for damage model, the one thing they should NEVER do is include a damage model before they have gotten their collision physics right: that should be PD's priority right now.

Visible damage is not too important, they could maybe introduce some sort of non-visible damage affecting performances. For damaged cars to look as good as the mint ones, though they could not rely on real time deformation and would have to hand model damaged cars, which is out of the question.

Though, that would justify "6 months for each car" figure, which otherwise would be complete bullshit.

My very first 3d model of a car (a 500k polys model of a Ferrari 360) took me less than one month to model in my spare time, and if you browse 3d studio, maya, lightwave forums you'll see people build car models (and we're talking VERY accurate models, including interiors and even engines) in a week. Now, obtaining all the textures needed for the cockpit view and interiors could actually be the hardest part.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
CrushDance said:

Help me Gaf, is this guy serious, my meter is broken.

Niks

SolidSnakex said:
This?

dorv6d.jpg

Yes, thanks!
If all this options are included, then the need for damage is not as relevant. Just race with people you know are clean racers.

Avaya said:
Simply having damage does nothing to improve the game experience online. It's a spurious relationship.

Gran Turismo broke deep into the masses the biggest exclusive franchise in Europe. You get millions of people to play a SimBin game online and see what the some people will adapt their stupidity to fit the game. Do not doubt the creativity of the shits and giggles mainstream crowd.

This.
There will ALWAYS be a clown that drives the circuit in the opposite direction of the race. damage or no damage.

RavenFox

Banned
CrushDance said:

This post was hilarious.

Forsete said:
Full damage model, take it or leave it."? :p
that would be awesome...but with the sheer number of cars rumored in GT5.....its gonna take a looong time to release the game if they decide to model each car damage realistically.

when do you want this game to hit?? 2012?????

panda21

i dont see why everyone cares so much about damage because the penalties system from gt5p does a better job of stopping you from using the other cars as brakes anyway

the 'damage' in pgr and forza i just found annoying because it feels really pre-canned.. like it will always make your car pull slightly to the right or something.

RavenFox

Banned
panda21 said:
i dont see why everyone cares so much about damage because the penalties system from gt5p does a better job of stopping you from using the other cars as brakes anyway

the 'damage' in pgr and forza i just found annoying because it feels really pre-canned.. like it will always make your car pull slightly to the right or something.
Lol some of them don't care about damage. They just can't find anything else to bitch about.

CrushDance said:

This shit really needs to stop.

spwolf

Niks said:
This.
There will ALWAYS be a clown that drives the circuit in the opposite direction of the race. damage or no damage.

it will be worse with damage as people will be able to destroy your car easily where now you get off the track at most...

so at the end, if you want to race seriously, you need to join some club and race with people which makes GT5 even more exciting with these roumored new features (teams, clubs).

Captain N

GT5 is right up there on my list of games to get on day 1. I hope they have a kick ass wheel to go with it (not a shell for the PS3 Controller). Of course if GT Mobile does come out..it should be a launch title for the PSP 2(Touch)

My favorite way to play GT has always been to use the right analog stick for gas and break. That's how I want to be able to play it on the PSP the same way.

I agree with people that said that damage should be all or nothing, actually I'll say that they should have 3 "levels" of damage:

- Professional: For the purists that want as realistic a damage as possible, that mean hitting the wall or another car at the wrong angle doing 50MPH might break your suspension and your race is done even though you're on the last lap, on top of that you have to take your car to your garage afterwards and fix it (in career mode).
- Amateur: Way more lenient damage, mostly cosmetic like those found in Burnout and Forza
- No damage: For the people that like the game as it is now, keep the penalty system in place.

I think that would be ideal, and for online races it should only be restricted to amateur and no damage, the amount of imbeciles that are online would mess up the fun for everybody else.

On topic, I was kinda hoping amar would say something like "the birds will migrate in real time and depending on if it's raining, snowing, sunny, etc they'll get tired, heavier, lighter, faster, slower and so on"

If it's true I would probably buy the premium SKU if the price is right, I would also hope they would do an ultimate bundle with a special Gran Turismo 5 embedded G25 and Playseat gaming seat.

A little off topic but only Lambos and Buggattis are not confirmed right?

mrbagdt

I'm sure this has already been picked apart, but stay with me if it hasn't.

Sixth wind is telling the tale about different reunion but almost the same as known one, smaller only for the eyes of those who do not want to see it in its whole glory. That different reunion will not happen in the realm same as the known one, but in the different realm which still has not been uncovered to the birdtamers. That realm will resemble realm already known but it will be divine new and made in the image of it.

Totally sounds like:

Smaller realm = PSP-4000.

Edit: To clarify.

"Smaller only for the eyes of those who do not want to see it in its whole glory". PSP = smaller screen, etc.

Not happen on the same realm as the known one (not on PS3, which is known).

Realm not uncovered to the birdtamers = we're those guys, we don't know about new PSP yet.

Resemble realm already known, but it will be devine new and made in the image of it.

THIS ABSOLUTELY SELLS IT AS THE NEW PSP and GT MOBILE.

slider

Once again I've only read the thread title. But I'm excited. I even bought two versions of Prologue when I feared it wasn't coming West. :(

Top Bottom